If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

NCAA rules changes

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball

isuquinndog
Site Admin

Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:53 pm

So just "elite" prospects can talk to agents. Weird. Why wouldn't it be all or nothing?
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!

Jsnhbe1Birds
Junior

Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:38 pm

This keeps kids in school longer.

Jsnhbe1Birds
Junior

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:01 pm

They won't have to decide to stay or go they can enter the draft and go back if unsuccessful.

Bird Friend
Senior

Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:35 pm

isuquinndog wrote:
So just "elite" prospects can talk to agents. Weird. Why wouldn't it be all or nothing?
And what happens to kids who are tagged elite early but then lose that status?

DWRedbird
Sophomore

Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:18 am

Some of these changes just scream cowardice on the part of the NCAA to me. The way I read most of this is, "oh shit some of our big universities might get in trouble here soon, and we dont want to discipline them and make them mad, so we better change the rules" and the instead of saying they will evaluate who gets to sign with an agent and being a bad guy for college athletes and doing their job, they dump this off on USA Basketball (who is not equipped to handle this) and the NBA.
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:01 pm
They won't have to decide to stay or go they can enter the draft and go back if unsuccessful.
Calipari brings up an interesting point though, what does the athlete do if they dont get drafted and their school has already given away their scholarship? Are they allowed a free transfer year in order to get a scholarship or do they have to sit out?

BTbird
Freshman

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:43 am

isuquinndog wrote:
That is very odd. I'm guessing the intention of that is so that the athletes that don't have a shot at getting drafted don't get duped by an agent.

Also, Allowing the elite players to legally deal with agents? What could go wrong?

isuquinndog
Site Admin

Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:58 am

Yeah the returning to school after not being drafted is an issue. Can you imagine if Malik went to the draft, didn't get picked and then we don't have a scholarship for him?

Someone on ESPN said this was only going to affect 6 or 7 players. I disagree. It's going to encourage the best players on the mid-major teams to try for the draft and then try and return to school and then they won't be able to. What a cluster.
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!

Adunk33
Senior

Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:50 am

isuquinndog wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:58 am
Yeah the returning to school after not being drafted is an issue. Can you imagine if Malik went to the draft, didn't get picked and then we don't have a scholarship for him?

Someone on ESPN said this was only going to affect 6 or 7 players. I disagree. It's going to encourage the best players on the mid-major teams to try for the draft and then try and return to school and then they won't be able to. What a cluster.
There is a caveat to the rule. A player must be invited to the official NBA combine to have the opportunity to return to school when not drafted.

By my count; this year 9 players attended the NBA combine who were not drafted. Of those nine players, just six had college eligibility left. So basically, you get invited to the combine as an underclassman (jr, soph, fr) if you are expected to get drafted, or the college eligibility is expired.

The only way this could effect ISU-type schools, from my standpoint is that if big school has a player get drafted, that wasn't projected to. That bigger school may look at other school's players to fill out their rosters. Then again, at that point in the summer the kid they took from the smaller school would have to sit out a year unless they could be a grad transfer.

isuquinndog
Site Admin

Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:32 pm

Thanks for the clarification. That isn't what the talking heads were saying, just put their name into the draft and then not get drafted. That's a big difference.
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!

Phantom
Freshman

Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:05 pm

So is the player's scholly held when he's going through this process? Or is it released? If it's the latter, that'd be pretty shitty if you were a recruit banking on a scholly opening only to have it snatched back up by a player returning from a failed NBA Draft opportunity.

Redbirdwarrior
Sophomore

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:49 pm

I think this a good move and will benefit MM players. Imagine how many stud mid major players have had to toe that line of draftable/undraftable.

That said, I'm interested to see how they define "elite". It kinda has to be all or nothing, doesn't it?

• Information