Turf Updates

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

JHBird
Sophomore
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Fri May 11, 2018 8:45 am

StLRedbird wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 5:50 am
fourthandshort wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:11 pm
so white lettering, but outlined with thick black line .. the contrasts look great. Noted pellets are not yet spread. As per usual, once we finally decide to spend money, we usually do things right .. Hancock 2.0, jumbotron scoreboard, and now turf ... all way overdue, but all done very well.

can't wait for date certain for Multipurpose Indoor Practice Facility .. I'm sure we will do it right. Won't be best of the best, but it will be done well.

Can't wait to see full pic of finished field .. going to look great.

But already going to give kudos :clap: :clap: :clap:
Larry Lyons gets at least his fair share of criticism on these pages. Comes with the job. But I'm in complete agreement. This was done really well. We get that indoor practice faciltiy and I'll become a real fan of his. Nice job, Lyons. Got an ice cold, frosty Bud with your name on it next time you're in St. Louis.

Edit: Meanwhile our other Larry, Dietz, is evaluating whether to add an Engineering school. :pray: Watching the situation in Carbondale play out, I'm going to be way more measured in any criticisms of our administrators.
I agree. Somebody's doing something right here at ISU! Lot of schools struggling in Illinois...

DannyCooksey
Sophomore
Posts: 452
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Fri May 11, 2018 3:59 pm

bb fan wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:13 am
The new turf looks FABULOUS!
I'll say!!!!!! Bravo to all involved. A first class program should have a first class playing surface.

great job. :D

fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Sat May 12, 2018 7:35 am

chuckie1980 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:26 am
The field glistens.
wondering if the black pellets will temper how sharp the colors look right now ... probably going to a bit.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

Redbirdfan21
Sophomore
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:22 pm
Location: Springfield, IL
Contact:

Tue May 15, 2018 5:06 pm


Redbirdfan21
Sophomore
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:22 pm
Location: Springfield, IL
Contact:

Tue May 15, 2018 5:06 pm


rdt99
Freshman
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:20 am

Wed May 16, 2018 8:29 am

It looks beautiful! They do need to paint the seats on the west side to brighten things up.

fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Wed May 16, 2018 10:58 am

Wow ..... Hancock has changed so much for the better. Someone mentioned west side needs fresh coat. I just recalled they put in all new aluminum seating the year before they demolished east side after 2011 for 2013 grand opening.

So they have really spruced the place up with some very wise ... albeit way over due ... investments in Hancock.

There is a reason ISU is doing so well compared to most of the D-I colleges in Illinois ... they are very good at managing their budgets and finances. Too conservative at times for me .. just too slow but very sure of what they are doing.

Now .. about that Multipurpose Indoor Facility .... its a game changer for program and not just football ... let's get er dun !!!

When do we break dirt ?????
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

bb fan
Sophomore
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 am

Wed May 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Good post, fourthandshort. I think our admins have done an exception job facility wise over the last decade or so. Yep. Look around and see where other U's are. We have executed some excellent projects, staying financially responsible. Saw the turf Sunday, it looks amazing.

User avatar
StLRedbird
Sophomore
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Thu May 17, 2018 11:34 am

I was never ashamed of Horton Fieldhouse. It a substandard facility, but it was a pit of the first order. And I loved that we could absolutely rattle other teams into crucial mistakes. That said, I get a gush of pride every time I walk into RA. Donewald - love him or hate him - said it best: There are people with bigger buildings, but no one has a better one, or some such.

I was ashamed of Hancock. But I get a bigger gush of pride walking into H2 than RA and that’s sayin’ something. Kudos to everyone involved with it. Can’t wait to see the new turf

JHBird
Sophomore
Posts: 440
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Thu May 17, 2018 4:52 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:35 am
chuckie1980 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 8:26 am
The field glistens.
wondering if the black pellets will temper how sharp the colors look right now ... probably going to a bit.
I think it would be a miracle if it didn't. You can always see those pellets flying around when somebody's really moving...
Maybe they'll invent a clear pellet someday...

ISUBU
Freshman
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Thu May 17, 2018 5:13 pm

JHBird wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:52 pm
fourthandshort wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:35 am
wondering if the black pellets will temper how sharp the colors look right now ... probably going to a bit.
I think it would be a miracle if it didn't. You can always see those pellets flying around when somebody's really moving...
It seems the pellets fly the most when the field is new. I expect to see lots of mini black clouds of rubber this fall.

User avatar
TIMMY
Sophomore
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: 1050 W Addison

Thu May 17, 2018 5:41 pm

saw new pic on the Twitter. don't know how to post it. I really dig the way they did the players box. Nice job.
Image

Redbirdfan21
Sophomore
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:22 pm
Location: Springfield, IL
Contact:

Thu May 17, 2018 6:06 pm

Looks incredible


fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Thu May 17, 2018 9:26 pm

niceeee !!!!
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

RedbirdSF67
Freshman
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Sat May 19, 2018 12:09 pm

I was comparing the old Reggie to the new Reggie, it's definitely bigger, the old Reggie was a foot short of the 45 yard line, the new Reggie is a foot or so past the 45's.. Also the old Reggie was well short of the hash marks, the new one is almost right even with them.. I'm guessing 5-6 feet bigger! Can't wait to see it on game day!!

fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Sun May 20, 2018 10:16 am

RedbirdSF67 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:09 pm
I was comparing the old Reggie to the new Reggie, it's definitely bigger, the old Reggie was a foot short of the 45 yard line, the new Reggie is a foot or so past the 45's.. Also the old Reggie was well short of the hash marks, the new one is almost right even with them.. I'm guessing 5-6 feet bigger! Can't wait to see it on game day!!
are you suggesting maybe steroids were involved ??? :shifty:
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

RedbirdSF67
Freshman
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Sun May 20, 2018 12:31 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:16 am
RedbirdSF67 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:09 pm
I was comparing the old Reggie to the new Reggie, it's definitely bigger, the old Reggie was a foot short of the 45 yard line, the new Reggie is a foot or so past the 45's.. Also the old Reggie was well short of the hash marks, the new one is almost right even with them.. I'm guessing 5-6 feet bigger! Can't wait to see it on game day!!
are you suggesting maybe steroids were involved ??? :shifty:
I heard he worked his ass off like the players all winter to bulk up.. Great job Reggie!!

fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Sun May 20, 2018 9:32 pm

RedbirdSF67 wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 12:31 pm
fourthandshort wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:16 am
RedbirdSF67 wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:09 pm
I was comparing the old Reggie to the new Reggie, it's definitely bigger, the old Reggie was a foot short of the 45 yard line, the new Reggie is a foot or so past the 45's.. Also the old Reggie was well short of the hash marks, the new one is almost right even with them.. I'm guessing 5-6 feet bigger! Can't wait to see it on game day!!
are you suggesting maybe steroids were involved ??? :shifty:
I heard he worked his ass off like the players all winter to bulk up.. Great job Reggie!!
Reggie has definitely bulked up nicely .. Lathrop must have gotten hold of him. But you can bet NCAA is going to ask Reggie to pee in a cup .. so I hope you're right.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

User avatar
StLRedbird
Sophomore
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Mon May 21, 2018 6:25 am

Was anyone else unaware that they actually splice the numbers, letters, and graphics into the artificial surface? That is what they did, right?

fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Mon May 21, 2018 8:52 am

StLRedbird wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 6:25 am
Was anyone else unaware that they actually splice the numbers, letters, and graphics into the artificial surface? That is what they did, right?
stlRB ... nice diversion from the touchy steroid topic .. until our Flip the Bird turf project, I had no clue whether that was spray paint, chalk, or a over-eager landscaper with an edger trying to help. But I think you're right. Guessing the turf is made in long strips, with special cut-out device so teams can do their own lines, hashes, and numbers. Not all turf is used for football, so I guess it has to be manufactured neutral of sport .. then allow for custom cut-outs .. like our steroid-enhanced Reggie head.

:mrgreen:
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: ISUBU and 4 guests