If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Eastern Washington

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

ricohill
Senior

Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:19 am

Impeach Dietz, Lyons, and Muller
ISUBU
Sophomore

Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:40 am

"They cater to wealthier students and families, offering an elitist experience without the difficulty of admittance to an actually elite institution."

That's a snobby quote directly from this report referring to their neighbor, Gonzaga, plus another private school across the country. With obviously biased language like this, the report has lost any hope of being perceived as fair in its analysis. I wouldn't simply accept that statement from college students, let alone any experienced professional.

This looks like discussion board commentary, so thanks for posting it.
StLRedbird
Junior

Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:23 pm

This quote had me wondering why we haven't seen these studies being done at some of the public schools in Illinois...
EWU has seen dwindling enrollment in recent years, forcing the university to approve a $3.6 million budget cut in June of last year for 2020. Syphers says that because of the budget cuts, faculty have been interested in looking at what the benefits of the athletics department are, considering it's a large part of the budget.
crazzymark
Sophomore

Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:22 pm

How old in the football turf they play on? I know that Boise State owns the rights to a colored turf concept and they cant replace the turf without paying a big royalty.
TIMMY
Senior

Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:36 pm

EWU has a 96% acceptance rate, a 44% graduation rate, cost after aid is about 13K
ISU has a 89% acceptance rate, a 73% graduation rate, and the cost after aid is about 21K?
Seems to me they have some problems that go far beyond athletics and this is a cop out.
The FOE feature is easily accessible on the top line of your User Control Panel. :D
MadBird
Senior

Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:42 pm

I might be talkin' out my rear here, but aren't all colleges and universities facing declining enrollment? I mean, not to the same degree, but the pool is shrinking, fewer kids, boomers boomed but they're out of the picture now. Blah blah blah. Some declining worse than others, some smaller schools are able to maintain pretty well, larger schools just find it harder to maintain that 15-20-30K+ enrollment.

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktak ... clcontinue

I'd be inclined to dump FB too if my school played on red turf, tho! :D
Trey_Guidry4three
Junior

Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:02 pm

ISUBU wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:40 am
"They cater to wealthier students and families, offering an elitist experience without the difficulty of admittance to an actually elite institution."

That's a snobby quote directly from this report referring to their neighbor, Gonzaga, plus another private school across the country. With obviously biased language like this, the report has lost any hope of being perceived as fair in its analysis. I wouldn't simply accept that statement from college students, let alone any experienced professional.

This looks like discussion board commentary, so thanks for posting it.
Great point and I agree 100%
crazzymark
Sophomore

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:54 am

MadBird wrote:
I might be talkin' out my rear here, but aren't all colleges and universities facing declining enrollment? I mean, not to the same degree, but the pool is shrinking, fewer kids, boomers boomed but they're out of the picture now. Blah blah blah. Some declining worse than others, some smaller schools are able to maintain pretty well, larger schools just find it harder to maintain that 15-20-30K+ enrollment.

UCF has gone for 18,000 to 60,000 over the last 20 years. ISU needs to have full enrollment online as well as they do. I am sure you have seen all the adds for ASU , UCF,Grand Cannon, ECT....a UCF online student pays all the same fees for athletics and all, as the on campus students does. It is the future for Universities and not taxed out the ass by the state in the process.
TIMMY
Senior

Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:21 pm

crazzymark wrote:
MadBird wrote:

UCF has gone for 18,000 to 60,000 over the last 20 years. ISU needs to have full enrollment online as well as they do. I am sure you have seen all the adds for ASU , UCF,Grand Cannon, ECT....a UCF online student pays all the same fees for athletics and all, as the on campus students does. It is the future for Universities and not taxed out the ass by the state in the process.
Taxes? Did you say taxes? ISU doesn't pay no stinking taxes.
The FOE feature is easily accessible on the top line of your User Control Panel. :D
Humdinger
Senior

Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:00 pm

crazzymark wrote:
....a UCF online student pays all the same fees for athletics and all, as the on campus students does. It is the future for Universities and not taxed out the ass by the state in the process.
This is Illinois. It would at some point be taxed out da azz, quickly I would imagine. Anywho, interesting post, Mark. Hmm. Post. Mark. We should call you ThePostMark.
fourthandshort
Senior

Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:19 am

this was posted by EWU right away. basically, it's just some purist teachers trying to gather support .. not sure anyone takes it seriously.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">There are no plans at EWU to cut our football program or change our athletic division level.</p>&mdash; EWU (@EWUEagles) <a href=" 15, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!
ISU85
Freshman

Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:19 pm

That Grand Cannon military school is great.