If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

South Dakota St.

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

Total Red
Junior

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:21 pm

The team is headed to South Dakota later this week. Brady Davis is projected to start. I hope he plays well. If he doesn't...….I don't know. We could try someone else but my gut tells that me that it won't solve the problem. Whether it's Baltz or Jefferson it would be an inexperienced QB getting his first taste of real action against a very good Valley team on a cold day in Brookings, SD...…..man I hope Davis plays well.

It might help the team to be an underdog. The three straight wins over SIU, WIU and Ind St. didn't produce much excitement. We weren't actually favored against UNI but a lot of our fans saw it as a game we could, should and needed to win. For a 3-1 four game stretch there has been a lot of dissatisfaction so this is an opportunity to do the unexpected and post a high quality win over a highly ranked team.
Man I hope Davis plays well.
ISUBU
Sophomore

Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:47 pm

Balz has played in two games. Gotta keep him at 4 total on the season so he can redshirt.
isuquinndog
Site Admin

Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:18 pm

Oh snap.

Illinois St (+17.5)

Over under: 46.5

Sorry Mel, was curious so I had looked it up.
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!
Redbirds100
Freshman

Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:11 pm

And long ago I decided to make a road trip to see a great game and new stadium.........
I do get to see a new stadium...........
Campus.......
Nicks Hamburgers
Cubbies

I see they have a visitors parking tailgate, will just be the players families?

Making the best of a weekend in Brookings................

UPSET would be the game of the year.............
Virginia Redbird
Sophomore

Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:40 pm

Everything about his game seems to point to a butt-kicking for the Redbirds. Then again, who expected Illinois to beat Wisconsin? Probably fewer people than expect the Redbirds to beat the Jackbunnies. A win against SDSU on the road would do wonders for the Redbirds playoff chances. If they are going to get everything together this season this is the game to do it. If Davis is going to be "great" this is the game to be great. Let's hope they do it!
“When you have great players, playing great, well that’s great football!”
John Madden
Chi-bird
Junior

Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:21 pm

I don’t know if I’ve ever been so skeptical of a 6-3 Redbird team as I am of this one. There is nothing happening offensively that gives me any confidence in us going up there and competing, let alone winning. The Jacks are playing for a top 3 seed as they don’t want to have to meet NDSU until the semis. They should be up for this one. NDSU ran for over 300 yards against the Jacks, averaging 7.5 per carry. Tre Lance had more carries (18) than Pass attempts (14). If ever there would be a game I’d like to see what Jefferson could do, this one just might be it. I’m afraid we won’t, however.
Virginia Redbird
Sophomore

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:21 am

Chi-bird wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:21 pm
I don’t know if I’ve ever been so skeptical of a 6-3 Redbird team as I am of this one. There is nothing happening offensively that gives me any confidence in us going up there and competing, let alone winning. The Jacks are playing for a top 3 seed as they don’t want to have to meet NDSU until the semis. They should be up for this one. NDSU ran for over 300 yards against the Jacks, averaging 7.5 per carry. Tre Lance had more carries (18) than Pass attempts (14). If ever there would be a game I’d like to see what Jefferson could do, this one just might be it. I’m afraid we won’t, however.
Coach Spack was pretty emphatic in his press conference that Davis is the starting QB. I think the only way we would see another QB is if Davis should be injured. Maybe they pull a Broadnax this weekend but I sincerely doubt it. Let's hope for Davis to have a solid game and Robinson to get going. The Offensive line needs to pick it up a great deal. While everyone is talking about Davis and the receivers, I don't see the offensive line playing very well. It is hard to block against the stacked lines other teams are tossing up to stop Robinson but Davis seems to be getting a lot of pressure on the pass rush as well. Twice last week Davis began to scramble (maybe too soon) and ran right into the pass rush. You cant hit the offensive line for that but it looked to me like there was a decent pass rush on Davis most of the day.
John Madden
fourthandshort
Senior

Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:57 pm

Davis should be starter and finisher .. I doubt the other 2 are ready for SDSU level game. Unless we think Jeffersen can come in and be a dual threat to throw them off some. Using Baltz in game we aren't likely to win with 2 winnable games after this week, wouldn't make much sense. If Davis went down against MoST or YSU, would they want a pocket QB or dual threat QB for those more winnable games ?
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!
Virginia Redbird
Sophomore

Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:31 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:57 pm
Davis should be starter and finisher .. I doubt the other 2 are ready for SDSU level game. Unless we think Jeffersen can come in and be a dual threat to throw them off some. Using Baltz in game we aren't likely to win with 2 winnable games after this week, wouldn't make much sense. If Davis went down against MoST or YSU, would they want a pocket QB or dual threat QB for those more winnable games ?
Minus an injury to Davis, I think he is the starter and finisher the rest of the season as long as the games are close. If the Birds should get way behind or way ahead in any of the next 3 games then maybe we see another QB. If the games are close and competitive then you likely keep your starter in until the end.
John Madden
Thumper 76
Freshman

Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:57 pm

Redbirds100 wrote:And long ago I decided to make a road trip to see a great game and new stadium.........
I do get to see a new stadium...........
Campus.......
Nicks Hamburgers
Cubbies

I see they have a visitors parking tailgate, will just be the players families?

Making the best of a weekend in Brookings................

UPSET would be the game of the year.............
Feel free to swing by the other lots, if the visitors is where ndsu was you’ll be a healthy distance from the stadium. The lot to the SE of the stadium is a lot of fun, and the “big” lots are to the north in the Backyard. I know pretty much everyone is real welcoming in the SE lots and I’ll have brisket and some stuff to keep ya warm with our crew there. Just look for the tallest flag pole with an AGS flag under the SDSU flag!

Looking forward to this game. As a SDSU fan I’m cautiously optimistic but I’m well away that you guys are very capable of doing to us what YSU did two years ago. Also, we tend to be prone to dropping a game we feel we shouldn’t have every year to get ourselves sent back to Fargo in the playoffs. Getting to be my favorite time of year to watch games in the cold! Should be a nice day from what the weather says but I’d still dress warm, the wind can bite up here even on nice days.
chuckie1980
Junior

Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:07 am

Being a Bunnie...I should love the Jackrabbits....but hell, no. BIRDS 36 Jackalopes 24 (and I swear I saw a jackalope in person in Texas).
fourthandshort
Senior

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:31 am

Welcome to Thumper .. a great contributor on AGS. Most years I would say we definitely could beat them ... not feeling it this year. Too much missing on offense.
Santa Cason
Sophomore

Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:30 am

fourthandshort wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:31 am
Welcome to Thumper .. a great contributor on AGS. Most years I would say we definitely could beat them ... not feeling it this year. Too much missing on offense.
Yep. Love reading Thumper's posts on AGS.

And unfortunately, I second your feelings. Maybe the football team can pull off a stunner like the hoops squad did last night.
MadBird
Junior

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:11 pm

Preview from the Sioux Falls Argus Leader. Sounds largely based on interviews with Spack and the SDSU coach.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sport ... 162320002/

Generally respects the Birds, but points out we are last in the Valley in many passing stats. Calls Davis "struggling". Big respect for J Rob.
JHBird
Senior

Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:02 am

MadBird wrote:
Preview from the Sioux Falls Argus Leader. Sounds largely based on interviews with Spack and the SDSU coach.

Generally respects the Birds, but points out we are last in the Valley in many passing stats. Calls Davis "struggling". Big respect for J Rob.
Oh no, we're going up against another freshman QB. That hasn't been good for us this year. I'm still shocked we're still ranked 11th? Is the FCS really that bad, or are we just overrated? Another humiliating loss and we'll be down to 13th I bet. I'm kinda hoping for some bad weather up there. Make it run game vs run game.
MadBird
Junior

Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:47 am

JHBird wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:02 am
MadBird wrote:

Oh no, we're going up against another freshman QB. That hasn't been good for us this year. I'm still shocked we're still ranked 11th? Is the FCS really that bad, or are we just overrated? Another humiliating loss and we'll be down to 13th I bet. I'm kinda hoping for some bad weather up there. Make it run game vs run game.
I'm a little surprised we're still up there too, guess our record is what it is and it's better than a lot and our losses have been to ranked teams + FBS NIU.

I thought I read somewhere that the weather was gonna be "wintery", but today's National Weather Service says: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44. West wind 5 to 10 mph.

Take a few minutes and run through the MVFC stats. Interesting stuff. Our offense is not highly ranked except for rushing and J Rob, otherwise mostly in bottom half, worse in some passing categories (meaning last). Rutkiewicz shows up as #10 receiver in yards per game. How's this - we show up as #1 in the conference in red zone offense!! Who'd have thunk. Defense is solid and ranks top 2-4 in most categories. #1 in red zone defense.

http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/CONFLDRS.HTM
fourthandshort
Senior

Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:55 am

Defense would show better if we could move chains some.

And I doubt we win a straight up run game against SDSU.. they have very strong OL and several RB studs to throw at us this year. Our OL is solid but not as strong as I assumed it would be this year. Their run game rivals NDSU this year. Our only chance is they have to narrow playbook due to QB .. we'll see.
redbirdfan04
Freshman

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:28 am

ISU 35
SDSU 17

Brady has his best day and our Defense forces three turnovers and a TD.
Total Red
Junior

Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:01 pm

I don't know if the Redbirds will win by 18 but if they're still offering 17.5 to take the Birds I'm taking them.
fourthandshort
Senior

Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:09 pm

Im just not optimistic but hoping Spacks historical success against SDSU means he just knows their system well and how to prepare for them. But they have new OC this year and now a new FR QB.