If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

75 Million to the Bison....

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
chuckie1980
Junior
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:02 pm

Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:32 pm

saw on fb....

https://www.kvrr.com/2019/10/10/ndsu-fo ... -donation/

Just trying to get TPGuy and ricohill and humdinger and the Sarge to pony up....
Jon99
Freshman
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:22 am

Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:04 pm

And yet they are a quite a bit smaller than we are and ranked well below us academically
Humdinger
Senior
Posts: 1640
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:25 pm

chuckie1980 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:32 pm
saw on fb....

https://www.kvrr.com/2019/10/10/ndsu-fo ... -donation/

Just trying to get TPGuy and ricohill and humdinger and the Sarge to pony up....
Check's in the mail.
Adunk33
Senior
Posts: 2304
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:19 am

Jon99 wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:04 pm
And yet they are a quite a bit smaller than we are and ranked well below us academically
I have this theory that part of our issue to drum up financial support for our athletics is the fact that we are a “smaller” school and a damn good school academically. As you saw with the Redbirds Rising campaign, the school collected 150 million with apparent ease. Most of those donations going towards academics. So, that tells us that people have money to spend, but they want to do it where ISU has been the most impactful to them personally. *see the multimillion $$ donation to (fine arts?).
fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:17 am

ISU has a lot going for it, particularly given economics involved in state of Illinois. They have always been very careful with their finances and budget .. this is why we are thriving so well, while many other similarly situated schools are not. The fact that we are careful with our money is partly why we don't invest more in football. The other aspect is on AD Lyons .. he just doesn't seem to have what it takes to inspire the donor base to help more. But he keeps making his budget and we're having moderate success, so he keeps his job ... status quo, I guess.

Bottom line as far as football goes .... AD Lyons is very lucky that Spack is a builder and not a climber. And while i do not believe Spack would be successful at FBS level, because he is not wired to compete like that and he clearly struggles to develop a passing game consistently, AD Lyons is quite lucky to have him. IMO, instead of complaining about being 6-5 for 3 straight years, we'd be complaining about why we finished with 4-7 or 3-8 type seasons.

IMO, 3 things need to happen:

1. Spack needs to figure out how to attract and develop better HS QBs. Maybe that means a change in OC .. find an up and comer offensive mind, and let them do their job. Spack needs to let them play more than he does. Defense and Running makes you competitive, but look at the NFL .. the game today is about playing in space.

2. Spack needs evolve his thinking about how/where to build more team speed, starting with LBer position group .. we outweighed NDSU by 10 to 35 lbs. What we do works very well against average and weak teams but not as much against the top level teams. We did notice his latest FR class had more undersized athletes, so that's a start .. but need to look at our LBer group. I like our LBer group, it goes 8 deep and they are quality players, but very little true speed.

3. AD Lyons needs to figure out how to deliver on his promise to make building an IPF the # athletics priority. Saying it is important is not enough. Time for him to deliver or he needs to move on. He seems way too content to be competitive and make budget. Look no further than the St Xavier game last year.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!
Jon99
Freshman
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:22 am

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:01 am

We are making progress, just going to take time. To me the key is to grow the academics AND athletics at the same time, distance ourselves from NIU and SIU even more. We need to grow our enrollment, continue with the campus/off campus improvements etc. Grow the entire Redbird brand and the athletic budget. And then when the time presents itself, be ready for the move to FBS. There is no reason that the #2 public school athletic program in Illinois isn't in the AAC when the #3 in frickin Kansas is.
Humdinger
Senior
Posts: 1640
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:02 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:17 am
And while i do not believe Spack would be successful at FBS level, because he is not wired to compete like that
Fourth you're always full of info and I respect that. But i think you missed the movie where Spack was a 1st Team BigTen defender and an honorable-mention All-American...and I think he sits 4th or 5th on the all-time tackles list at Purdue. I do believe he's wired to compete.

Now...our football program is feeling and looking stale, no doubt.
fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 2142
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:48 pm

Humdinger wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:02 pm
fourthandshort wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:17 am
And while i do not believe Spack would be successful at FBS level, because he is not wired to compete like that
Fourth you're always full of info and I respect that. But i think you missed the movie where Spack was a 1st Team BigTen defender and an honorable-mention All-American...and I think he sits 4th or 5th on the all-time tackles list at Purdue. I do believe he's wired to compete.

Now...our football program is feeling and looking stale, no doubt.
I'm full of something, that's for sure ...

But only meant that as a head coach, and mainly with respect to offense. I think he could compete as a defensive coordinator at the next level, and probably make twice as much as he does at ISU. If I were a FBS head coach, I would have little concern hiring Spack to run my defense.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!
Humdinger
Senior
Posts: 1640
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:27 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:48 pm
Humdinger wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:02 pm
fourthandshort wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:17 am
And while i do not believe Spack would be successful at FBS level, because he is not wired to compete like that
Fourth you're always full of info and I respect that. But i think you missed the movie where Spack was a 1st Team BigTen defender and an honorable-mention All-American...and I think he sits 4th or 5th on the all-time tackles list at Purdue. I do believe he's wired to compete.

Now...our football program is feeling and looking stale, no doubt.
I'm full of something, that's for sure ...

But only meant that as a head coach, and mainly with respect to offense. I think he could compete as a defensive coordinator at the next level, and probably make twice as much as he does at ISU. If I were a FBS head coach, I would have little concern hiring Spack to run my defense.
Gotchagotchagotcha. You and I are both full of it, matter of fact I stepped in some this morning.
Post Reply