If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Redbird Arena Renovations

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
Redbird222
Junior

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:34 pm

Bird Friend wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:02 pm
Adunk33 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:50 pm
Forcing the gray hairs to stand?
:clap:
BirdGrad2011
Sophomore

Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:54 pm

The former and current minor sport athletes crying about this project are pathetic. This building is the crown jewel of campus still and used by so many students even beyond sports. The circus, graduation, high school events. Without this facility the school may lose out on the donations that keep those minor sports operating and allow those kids to have scholarships.

Just my $.02.
Formerly ISUBirds89
TIMMY
Senior

Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:09 pm

Our track athletes are pathetic. Check.
Thanks Muller.
Reggie Redbird
Sophomore

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:24 pm

BirdGrad2011 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:54 pm
The former and current minor sport athletes crying about this project are pathetic. This building is the crown jewel of campus still and used by so many students even beyond sports. The circus, graduation, high school events. Without this facility the school may lose out on the donations that keep those minor sports operating and allow those kids to have scholarships.

Just my $.02.
Unless things have changed, our athletic department has three sources of revenue/expense offset: ticket sales, donations, and tuition waivers. We aren't getting more tuition waivers, so the way to grow resources to cover expenses is through ticket sales and donations.

We have four sports that sell tickets: MBB, WBB, FB, and VB. Thus, none of the sports with alums complaining on Facebook produce any ticket revenue to offset their expenses. As far as I have seen, we have one sport which takes in more revenue than it pays out in expenses: MBB. Why wouldn't every program on campus want MBB to be as a successful as possible? If they make an NCAA tournament, that's going to bring in at least hundreds of thousands, if not millions, in new revenue that will be used in part: 1.) fund other sports' scholarships. 2.) fund other sports' salaries, equipment costs, travel expenses. 3.) fund overall athletic department operations.

So we turn to the last source of revenue/expense offset: donations. We have two sports that require donations as part of purchasing season tickets: MBB and FB. Are all the other sports soliciting donations? Baseball, softball, and golf take fundraising seriously and seem to do quite well at it. Nothing is stopping coaches/athletes from particular programs from raising money.

Bottom line: ISU is improving a building that is used by all students. Students, who help pay the bills for athletic facilities/operations. It's improving a building used for events that generate revenue, such as the Gamma Phi Circus. It's improving a building that is a key part in generating ticket and donation revenue that is used by all programs.

I know each of our sports could benefit from upgraded and equipment. I know each of our sports want to be able to invest more in staff salaries, travel budgets, and other amenities. And we find ways to do that: tennis courts, track upgrades, Horton renovations, baseball stadium, new softball dugouts, soccer lights. It would be great to do them more frequently and on a grander scale; however, the money has to come in to be able to do that.
TIMMY
Senior

Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:55 am

My wife and I drove through campus yesterday after getting off I55 to grab our road trip Avantis. Anyone else in the area? You would have seen 100's of kids running around. All of them exposed to Illinois State University. All of them potential ISU students. Track and Cross camp. I laughed out loud. My wife thought I was nuts. All facilities matter. Yes, Redbird and Hancock matter most. Duh. But our athletes are not pathetic for wanting theirs to be D1 quality.
Tedious Timmy is done with this. :D
ricohill
Senior

Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:33 am

I get those athletes have things they want, and maybe I am wrong, but I don't think any of their facilities are inadequate. Only the indoor track and field situation and bathrooms at tennis are probably not up to D1 standards. All the sports that seem to have an issue also have the largest budgets in the conference. So obviously, they are being treated very well in other areas (travel, lodging, meals, etc...).
Redbird222
Junior

Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:54 pm

Didn't the increase in WSF/tickets prices partially fund or at least service the debt for the 6.5mm project?
GOP_Redbird
Freshman

Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:19 pm

jamminjamarsmiley
Freshman

Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:42 pm

Those seats will look nice on TV. Will we average more than 5K butts in them though?
TIMMY
Senior

Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:17 am

jamminjamarsmiley wrote:
Those seats will look nice on TV. Will we average more than 5K butts in them though?
:roll:
Buffett
Sophomore

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:19 am

Redbird222 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:34 pm
Bird Friend wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:02 pm
Adunk33 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:50 pm
Forcing the gray hairs to stand?
:clap:
Millennials get better cell phone reception when they stand and stare at their phones
DBird
Sophomore

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:38 pm

TIMMY wrote:
Thanks Muller.
:text-+1:
Don’t get me started Timmy!!
SoCalRedbird
Sophomore

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:25 pm

jamminjamarsmiley wrote:Those seats will look nice on TV. Will we average more than 5K butts in them though?
I hope so.

There are a lot of guys on this squad that people will enjoy rooting for on and off the court. Also hoping we see a defensive renaissance of sorts at RBA. Our fans seem to respond well to teams with defensive energy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TIMMY
Senior

Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:46 pm

DBird wrote:
TIMMY wrote:
Thanks Muller.
I know Coach! Hurts doesn't it?
DBird
Sophomore

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:47 pm

TIMMY wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:46 pm
DBird wrote:
TIMMY wrote:
Thanks Muller.
I know Coach! Hurts doesn't it?
Yeah Does!
I try to just let it go in one ear and out the other !
Some just have no clue!
crazzymark
Sophomore

Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:01 pm

jamminjamarsmiley wrote:
move the student section like all ACC team do to mid court and give to sit birds (sit down!) in the ends or off camera then it will look better on TV.
Bdub777
Freshman

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:39 pm

Have you ever been to the swimming/diving facility? It is worse than what the local high schools have. Indoor tennis has to be played in a privately owned inflatable facility that is at least five miles from campus. Horton has had the indoor track resurfaced but is not a legitimate venue for conference events. There are definitely inadequate facilities for the non-revenue sports.

That said, the upkeep of Redbird is foremost, and the seats had to be upgraded. Luckily, the roof is holding up well beyond its expected life and they are now understanding that sooner or later that expense will need to be funded..

I do wish they would think about a facility that could be dual use, like an indoor football practice facility that could also be a legitimate indoor track venue.

There is a lot of room for improvement.
ricohill wrote:
I get those athletes have things they want, and maybe I am wrong, but I don't think any of their facilities are inadequate. Only the indoor track and field situation and bathrooms at tennis are probably not up to D1 standards. All the sports that seem to have an issue also have the largest budgets in the conference. So obviously, they are being treated very well in other areas (travel, lodging, meals, etc...).
TIMMY
Senior

Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:47 am

Bdub777 wrote:
Have you ever been to the swimming/diving facility? It is worse than what the local high schools have. Indoor tennis has to be played in a privately owned inflatable facility that is at least five miles from campus. Horton has had the indoor track resurfaced but is not a legitimate venue for conference events. There are definitely inadequate facilities for the non-revenue sports.

That said, the upkeep of Redbird is foremost, and the seats had to be upgraded. Luckily, the roof is holding up well beyond its expected life and they are now understanding that sooner or later that expense will need to be funded..

I do wish they would think about a facility that could be dual use, like an indoor football practice facility that could also be a legitimate indoor track venue.

ricohill wrote:
Forgot about that roof. Those days have to be numbered. I'm guessing that will be a lot more $$$ than the seats.
ricohill
Senior

Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:11 am

TIMMY wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:47 am
Bdub777 wrote:

ricohill wrote:
Forgot about that roof. Those days have to be numbered. I'm guessing that will be a lot more $$$ than the seats.
Sounds like they have a plan in place for the roof. It's just a matter of when they need to do something.
Phantom
Sophomore

Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:45 am

Lots of improvements needed for multiple facilities.

Get to the Big Dance a couple times and on more deep runs in the FCS playoffs and the bankroll for such improvements will magically become available.