If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Early MVC Preseason Preview

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
DoubleDeuce
Sophomore

Thu May 16, 2019 11:31 am

Redbird Alum 2004
Senior

Thu May 16, 2019 11:39 am

DoubleDeuce wrote:
For those thirsty for MVC talk!

http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/mvc-w ... JBAP1Dm2nY
Thanks! Good read.
Adunk33
Senior

Thu May 16, 2019 11:48 am

Thanks for sharing. It's nice to see a ray of sunshine in otherwise a cloudy situation. Obviously, no one is happy with the one-bid 15 seeds. But I do think the league is trending up, and that is thanks to the new hires of Ford, Devries, and McCarty. Ford and McCarty have been doing some great recruiting and Devries showed he can do more with less. It'll be an interesting year for sure. Not really sure what to expect other than Indiana State being a Thursday night team if Barnes doesn't get back to his old ways. Then again, Neese and Williams should improve and they have something special with Key. So, maybe I'll just stick with, "I don't know what to expect next season."
crazzymark
Sophomore

Thu May 16, 2019 1:16 pm

Next season will be a long one and most likely DM's demise before the end of the season. Then a long rebuild and direction change will be needed. Including what are realistic goals for the micro valley coop will be need to be addressed. The saving grace will be if the Football program can pull along a kicking and screaming basketball program to have to go to the next level. If not, then the Football and some other sports programs will move up and leave the MBB program in a lower mid conference.
isuquinndog
Site Admin

Thu May 16, 2019 1:20 pm

There is zero chance football and basketball go back to difference conferences.
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!
Trey_Guidry4three
Sophomore

Thu May 16, 2019 8:08 pm

DoubleDeuce wrote:

Wow... you would think mvc is the acc after this article. Hope the physical specimans stay out of trouble
Humdinger
Senior

Thu May 16, 2019 9:06 pm

isuquinndog wrote:

As a general statement, I'm not so sure about that. I could see it taking place at some point.
ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Thu May 16, 2019 10:16 pm

isuquinndog wrote:
They are different now or were you being factious?
redblood
Freshman

Thu May 16, 2019 10:55 pm

Wow Dana Ford is killing it on the recruiting trail
jamminjamarsmiley
Freshman

Thu May 16, 2019 11:13 pm

Trey_Guidry4three wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 8:08 pm
DoubleDeuce wrote:

Wow... you would think mvc is the acc after this article. Hope the physical specimans stay out of trouble
Didn't you see... there is a .09 star increase from 2017 - The valley is loaded with talent!
isuquinndog
Site Admin

Fri May 17, 2019 8:47 am

ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
isuquinndog wrote:
The Valley runs both conferences. For all intensive purposes, they are the same. I'm talking about being in the Sun Belt for one sport and the MVC for others. I just don't see that happening.
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!
ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Fri May 17, 2019 11:13 am

isuquinndog wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 8:47 am
ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
isuquinndog wrote:
The Valley runs both conferences. For all intensive purposes, they are the same. I'm talking about being in the Sun Belt for one sport and the MVC for others. I just don't see that happening.
I disagree with your perspective .The universities collectively vote on direction and strategy of their shared conference and the conference administrators carry out their marching orders. The MVC members are now less than half of the current MVFC and soon, after the addition of the UND, the Summit will make up 50 percent of the MVFC and MVC members can be outvoted on any MVFC ITEM by THE Summit conference members every time. Hard for me to see them being anything remotely the same especially when factoring in private vs public, geography..etc. I view ISU two flagship sports as being in two completely different conferences albeit with great communication amongst the two different conferences. Question..would you feel the same about ISU supposedly being in the same conference if the MVFC changed it’s name to SVC (summit football conference) or some completely different name? There is a strong argument to be made that SFC is the better name than the MVFC given type of members, dominate programs, profile of programs...etc .
cpacmel
Senior

Fri May 17, 2019 1:33 pm

ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
[The MVC members are now less than half of the current MVFC and soon, after the addition of the UND, the Summit will make up 50 percent of the MVFC and MVC members can be outvoted on any MVFC ITEM by THE Summit conference members every time. Hard for me to see them being anything remotely the same especially when factoring in private vs public, geography..etc.

Illinois State
SIU
Mo State
Indiana State
UNI

North Dakota State
South Dakota State
South Dakota
WIU
North Dakota (coming shortly)

I could 5 voting MVC basketball programs and 5 voting Summit basketball programs.

I also count Youngstown State as a Horizon League basketball program.

What am I missing here regarding the Summit league teams being able to out vote Mo Valley teams? I see no majority like you claim above even with the future addition of North Dakota.
isuquinndog
Site Admin

Fri May 17, 2019 2:13 pm

I would hope the communication is good. The offices are in the same building. I'm sure Elgin and Patty V's offices aren't far apart.
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!
ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Fri May 17, 2019 3:31 pm

cpacmel wrote:
ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
[The MVC members are now less than half of the current MVFC and soon, after the addition of the UND, the Summit will make up 50 percent of the MVFC and MVC members can be outvoted on any MVFC ITEM by THE Summit conference members every time. Hard for me to see them being anything remotely the same especially when factoring in private vs public, geography..etc.
You are right. I left out one of the MVFC schools. Fundamentally it does not change much since the conference is a majority of outsiders, geography differences, private’s bs public...etc

Illinois State
SIU
Mo State
Indiana State
UNI

North Dakota State
South Dakota State
South Dakota
WIU

I could 5 voting MVC basketball programs and 5 voting Summit basketball programs.

What am I missing here regarding the Summit league teams being able to out vote Mo Valley teams? I see no majority like you claim above even with the future addition of North Dakota.
ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Fri May 17, 2019 3:32 pm

isuquinndog wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 2:13 pm
I would hope the communication is good. The offices are in the same building. I'm sure Elgin and Patty V's offices aren't far apart.
This is my point all you get is some token boost in communication
ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Fri May 17, 2019 3:35 pm

cpacmel wrote:
ChiRedbirdfan wrote:

Illinois State
SIU
Mo State
Indiana State
UNI

North Dakota State
South Dakota State
South Dakota
WIU

The only majorities would be non-MVC teams or non-summit teams. Either way the MVC teams need support from a non -MVC team to win a vote