If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

OT: SIU Arena Naming Rights

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
ricohill
Senior

Thu May 16, 2019 11:03 am

Big announcement coming out of SIU today. I always wondered why we don't do this? it is free money and who really cares what the Arena or Stadiums are called.

birdlife
Sophomore

Thu May 16, 2019 11:18 am

i actually agree with you on this one Rico. i'd be happy to accept money from a potential sponsor, so long as the name doesn't become something terrible like Guaranteed Low Rate Arena. though i will admit, for the right price, i can be bought.
Adunk33
Senior

Thu May 16, 2019 11:23 am

I'm good with naming rights as well. I'm assuming the big thing with here is that State Farm already has naming rights on eastbound I-74. The most likely players in this community now would probably be Advocate or Country. Who wants to start the petition? #SellTheStadium
birdlife
Sophomore

Thu May 16, 2019 11:29 am

"The DP Doughm"
ricohill
Senior

Thu May 16, 2019 11:30 am

I would think you could get a decent amount for the naming rights to Redbird Arena and Hancock Stadium. The big question in Blo-No is do companies other than State Farm have the money? Could State Farm be ok with the naming rights to the football stadium and Prairie Farms or Country (both under the same umbrella) have the rights to the Arena?
Bird Friend
Senior

Thu May 16, 2019 11:36 am

The danger of bad naming . . . Guaranteed Rate Field . . . I rest my case.
chuckie1980
Junior

Thu May 16, 2019 11:41 am

I think I am "anti-selling our collective souls to a devil" type.

Granted...down SE on I74...such an iconic basketball stadium initially being named the Assembly Hall was stupid. Changing the name to SFC or the Farm has not increased the appeal, either.

Where's the passion and the love when you compare "Redbird Arena" and "Hancock Stadium"...me, definitely Redbird.

What I do not understand is how a corporation comes in and takes ownership of the name...and leaves little to the imagination of which State Farm named building they are talking about.

And why can't we get like a Progressive Redbird Arena. Probably would send shock waves down Veterans...but at least I still have my RA.
Adunk33
Senior

Thu May 16, 2019 11:53 am

chuckie1980 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:41 am
I think I am "anti-selling our collective souls to a devil" type.

Granted...down SE on I74...such an iconic basketball stadium initially being named the Assembly Hall was stupid. Changing the name to SFC or the Farm has not increased the appeal, either.

Where's the passion and the love when you compare "Redbird Arena" and "Hancock Stadium"...me, definitely Redbird.

What I do not understand is how a corporation comes in and takes ownership of the name...and leaves little to the imagination of which State Farm named building they are talking about.

And why can't we get like a Progressive Redbird Arena. Probably would send shock waves down Veterans...but at least I still have my RA.
I'm in the camp that traditional fans, most of us on this board and other members of the community, would still call it Redbird Arena and Hancock Stadium when referring to it if the naming rights were sold. I should say- sponsorship to the arena- not naming rights. I would be cool with Advocate Redbird Arena or Country Financial Hancock Stadium. I wouldn't want Redbird Arena or Hancock Stadium to go away.

I'm still looking forward to the football team playing on Brock Spack Field at Hancock Stadium.
Humdinger
Senior

Thu May 16, 2019 12:09 pm

It has certainly been a topic in administration for a while. Just a matter of the right deal, right name, right time, right money. State Farm was the ideal candidate, of course. Heard someone else took that one though...
Humdinger
Senior

Thu May 16, 2019 12:12 pm

I'm still holding out hope for Windy City Wieners cutting that big check.
chuckie1980
Junior

Thu May 16, 2019 12:20 pm

Rivian Redbird Arena
WILD REDBIRDS UNLIMITED!!
ricohill
Senior

Thu May 16, 2019 12:23 pm

I wonder what the right price range and time would be? SIU getting $10 million. Illinois is $60 million over 30 years.

Also, I 100% get being attached to Redbird Arena and Hancock Stadium that is a completely fair viewpoint. However, if the devil increases the basketball budget and builds an indoor practice facility, sign me up to join with the devil.
ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Bird Friend wrote:
...yea cuz Redbird arena and Hancock stadium are so
illustrious and such an attraction. Sell naming rights to whomever/whatever to get some much needed revenue and more name recognition for ISU and ISU athletics . As a matter of fact I vote to immediately change the name of Redbird arena to anything besides Redbird Arena if that is what is needed to help break the curse!
Last edited by ChiRedbirdfan on Thu May 16, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Thu May 16, 2019 12:31 pm

Humdinger wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:09 pm
It has certainly been a topic in administration for a while. Just a matter of the right deal, right name, right time, right money. State Farm was the ideal candidate, of course. Heard someone else took that one though...
If they can’t get “a lot of money” then do a shorter term deal and put naming rights out again? Not having any revenue associated with naming rights is missing out on the lowest of the low hanging fruit. As an aside suggest the great contract negotiator named Larry (see Muller’s contract) is forbidden to be any part of the process.
isuquinndog
Site Admin

Thu May 16, 2019 12:45 pm

I'm not sure any one else in town other that SF has the money. Maybe Advocate. So I think that idea sunk with SF naming UIUC's arena.
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!
RedbirdSoxFan
Junior

Thu May 16, 2019 1:27 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
I'm good with naming rights as well. I'm assuming the big thing with here is that State Farm already has naming rights on eastbound I-74. The most likely players in this community now would probably be Advocate or Country. Who wants to start the petition? #SellTheStadium
Is there a restriction against having the naming rights on two separate arenas? Assembly Hall, and Redbird Arena might be Assembly Hall (State Farm Center) and Redbird Arena (Start Farm Arena)
ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Thu May 16, 2019 1:42 pm

RedbirdSoxFan wrote:
Adunk33 wrote:
Is there a restriction against having the naming rights on two separate arenas? Assembly Hall, and Redbird Arena might be Assembly Hall (State Farm Center) and Redbird Arena (Start Farm Arena)
Some companies have multiple arenas named but what would be the benefit of two arenas located so close.? Also could cause a little confusion when things like concerts are in the area. Ie How would one like to live in BLONO or Champaign/urbana and buy a concert ticket at the State Farm whatever and then find out it is in the other city.
Bird Friend
Senior

Thu May 16, 2019 1:43 pm

ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Bird Friend wrote:
...yea cuz Redbird arena and Hancock stadium are so
illustrious and such an attraction. Sell naming rights to whomever/whatever to get some much needed revenue and more name recognition for ISU and ISU athletics . As a matter of fact I vote to immediately change the name of Redbird arena to anything besides Redbird Arena if that is what is needed to help break the curse!
Touch a nerve? Sorry, if I did . . . not really. Although the $ would be nice I'm not a big fan of naming rights. Sympathy for the devil is not something I aspire to . . .
Bird Friend
Senior

Thu May 16, 2019 1:44 pm

ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:42 pm
RedbirdSoxFan wrote:
Adunk33 wrote:
Some companies have multiple arenas named but what would be the benefit of two arenas located so close.? Also could cause a little confusion when things like concerts are in the area. Ie How would one like to live in BLONO or Champaign/urbana and buy a concert ticket at the State Farm whatever and then find out it is in the other city.
State Farm Arena in Atlanta, GA. Home of the Hawks.
State Farm Stadium in Phoenix, AZ. Home of the Cardinals.
DoubleDeuce
Sophomore

Thu May 16, 2019 2:02 pm

isuquinndog wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:45 pm
I'm not sure any one else in town other that SF has the money. Maybe Advocate. So I think that idea sunk with SF naming UIUC's arena.
This assumes you know the pricetag. Let's just say we lower the cost a little, can bring anyone we want into play. Every dollar counts! Maybe that dance institute in Kappa would be interested.