If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Hancock 2018 attendance ?

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

fourthandshort
Senior

Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:45 pm

I get that STX game on labor day weekend didn't excite the campus, town, or alumnus to turn out ... so we only drew 9,157. i would have expected about that maybe a little higher.

But I do not get why EIU home game the following weekend didn't come closer 12k+ .... this is supposed to be rivalry game for us and we drew just 8,914. Rain was threatening in days leading up to game, but by Friday I think chances hada slipped considerably.

Last year, the Butler opener game drew 10.8k and the 2nd game played in week 4 against InSU was a sellout at 13.9k .. neither considered big rivalry games.

So we're already down 6.7k from a year ago after just 2 games .. no weather issues to blame ... makes no sense .. any thoughts ???
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

Adunk33
Senior

Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:30 pm

The weather scared people off this week. No doubt. Yeah, it ended up being nice, but with the threat of rain and high winds, most casual fans won't risk it or wait until game time to make a decision. They want to have plans set and most probably decided mid afternoon that they weren't going to make it. It's a bummer for sure. However, I do like having more space to spread out in the stands..... :lol:

MadBird
Sophomore

Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:41 pm

Set aside how the weather turned out -- the weather forecast was for rain 100% in the afternoon and 70% at night. I'm sure a few hardy road regulars -- :oops: - were scared away looking at that about the time they were deciding whether to hit the road or not. Some have big regrets, I'll bet!

As for the locals who could look up and see the sky, not sure why. People get their weekends planned in advance more these days and aren't so willing to change plans once they get "locked into" something? EIU not the attraction we'd think? I'm gonna guess last year's games were also evening games, but maybe the night game isn't that attractive anymore?

TIMMY
Sophomore

Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:49 pm

I'm 3.5 hrs away so when I left home forecast was 100% rain. I'll admit that knowing I could go under the tent made the decision to go easy.
But if you live in town? You missed a beautiful night for football.

fourthandshort
Senior

Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:43 pm

I thought I saw improved forecast by friday ... maybe not. So with rain and winds threatening, I can understand the attendance # better.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

Redbirds100
Freshman

Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:10 pm

Softer crowd in the tailgate area, was surprised!!!
I also noticed both sides of the stands going home at Halftime!!!
Hopefully better attendance after two road victories, next home game, with good FB weather is Against Western 2PM, and its Spack Stache day!!!

TIMMY
Sophomore

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:43 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:43 pm
I thought I saw improved forecast by friday ... maybe not. So with rain and winds threatening, I can understand the attendance # better.
You probably did. The forecasts were all over the place. Acuweather on my phone said it was raining during the second quarter.

Birdswin
Sophomore

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:09 pm

I can easily say without a doubt - WJBC predicting torrential downpours all week long for Friday and Saturday - convinced many to make alternate plans. I had 6 in my group tell me at Noon - because of the forecast, the wives made other plans for Saturday. Apparently, they are pussy whipped - I reminded them they need to throw their MAN card into the trash.

I know numerous season ticket holders - flat out say they are Fair Weather fans - rain, cold, or snow - they will not come. They buy the tickets, make the contributions to WSF - but do not like sitting outside. So what do you do? At least they pay.

crazzymark
Sophomore

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:11 pm

there are 5 area and 6 city players on the ISU roster, NCHS,BHS,NWHS,CC, hall have player and the team and some are starters..not sure what the problem with not getting their former HS to get butts in the seats!!!!! This not a Chicago problem, this is a lazy community problem, no radio lead up mid summer on any station, radio or tv, ISU should have Coach Spack and all the Head Coaches on school tours and radio call in shows 24/7 365 and get it in the locals heads and hearts to support the Redbirds !!

saxman210
Sophomore

Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:47 pm

Was weather for me. Would have made the trip but they were calling for rain up until a few hours before gametime, that’s when it changed
BRMM 2003-2006

twitter.com/saxman210

Reggie Redbird
Sophomore

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:59 am

Birdswin wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:09 pm
I can easily say without a doubt - WJBC predicting torrential downpours all week long for Friday and Saturday - convinced many to make alternate plans. I had 6 in my group tell me at Noon - because of the forecast, the wives made other plans for Saturday. Apparently, they are pussy whipped - I reminded them they need to throw their MAN card into the trash.

I know numerous season ticket holders - flat out say they are Fair Weather fans - rain, cold, or snow - they will not come. They buy the tickets, make the contributions to WSF - but do not like sitting outside. So what do you do? At least they pay.
1.) You take their money and thank them for funding the program. We don't have enough boosters and people willing to pay for season tickets to throw away those relationships if they don't use the tickets. You also beg them to donate their tickets back to the university so they can be resold or given away. Unfortunately, it's very hard to get people to go to ISU games, even for free, at the last minute. There are times I have trouble giving away tickets even weeks ahead of time. I couldn't give them away for the St. X game, just like we can't for Quincy or Lewis MBB.

I'm not sure how many people are in the club during the game, but it did not appear there were even 50% of club ticket holders in their seats.

2.) I am not blaming EIU, but they had about as many fans as St. X. I was expecting at least a few hundred EIU fans to make the trek to Normal thinking some might come from in town, some might come from like Peoria, and some might caravan over from Charleston. That didn't happen.

3.) Absolutely this weather had a huge impact. We talked to a lot of people who made other plans once they thought it was going to be rain all night. This looked like it drove students away too.

The good things about Homecoming and Family Weekend is those games usually sell their tickets ahead of time. If we have some more bad weather in the forecast, that is going to kill attendance and be a huge financial blow to the program. Maybe we have a NW-type showing at CSU and that helps drive up our ranking and more fans out to the games.

• Information