If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

EIU game comments

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

jbird
Freshman

Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:59 am

Impressive coming out party for redshirt frosh WR Edgar.

Great game for corner Wilie Edwards.

Similar to Tre, QB Davis seem to throw a better deep ball than short/swing pass.

Total Red
Sophomore

Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:37 am

Redbirdwarrior wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:22 am
Did I read that Brady Davis looked like a "Project"? Dude threw for 300+ yards and scored 5 TD against a mid level D-1 FCS opponent in his first "Real" FCS game.

I will be the first to eat crow on Kolbe being bumped. Davis is on another level and you can tell his WR are excited to play for him.
I hope it gets to the point where it's obvious to everyone that Brady Davis is a great QB but I don't think anyone should feel bad that we didn't catch on right away. Davis came to us because he was 3rd string at Memphis. So Memphis was loaded at QB right? Well their starter Brady White was 15 for 25 for 145 yards with 0 TD's and 1 Int against Navy last week and they lost 22-21. Not exactly earth shaking.

Timmy tells us that good coaches will know early on who the best QB is. Well sometimes. The NFL throws all their experts into the mix to evaluate QB's for the NFL draft and still you have the MSOAT (Most Successful of All-Time) QB Tom Brady not drafted until the 6th round which means every NFL team passed on him 5 times. Kurt Warner a two-time NFL MVP QB wasn't even drafted. Brett Favre was drafted in the 2nd round but after throwing 4 passes (all incomplete with 2 int's) the Falcons shipped him north to Green Bay. And there are also all the QB's that get drafted in the 1st round but then find themselves out of the league in 3-4 years without making a ripple in the water. You have coaches and scouts working these guys out and analyzing every throw, every foot placement, every mental decision and even though they get big bucks to make these evaluations they still have hits and misses like everybody else.

BJ Bello wasn't a starter at Illinois and he surprised us how good he was. Brady Davis wasn't playing at Memphis but he's off to a great start. When new players come in let's not rule anything in and let's not rule anything out. That goes for transfers as well as freshmen (scholarship or not). Take a good hard look at each of them and they'll sort themselves out over time. Some of them, like Davis, won't take very long.

Redbird28
Freshman

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:01 pm

Total Red wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:37 am
Redbirdwarrior wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:22 am
Did I read that Brady Davis looked like a "Project"? Dude threw for 300+ yards and scored 5 TD against a mid level D-1 FCS opponent in his first "Real" FCS game.

I will be the first to eat crow on Kolbe being bumped. Davis is on another level and you can tell his WR are excited to play for him.
I hope it gets to the point where it's obvious to everyone that Brady Davis is a great QB but I don't think anyone should feel bad that we didn't catch on right away. Davis came to us because he was 3rd string at Memphis. So Memphis was loaded at QB right? Well their starter Brady White was 15 for 25 for 145 yards with 0 TD's and 1 Int against Navy last week and they lost 22-21. Not exactly earth shaking.
No, it wasn't, but in week one White was 22-28 for 358 yards and 5 TD / 0 INT. Granted, it was against Mercer, but we haven't exactly played anyone worth writing home about yet either.

Football coaches are sometimes like fans and slap a label on a guy and recruit over him. That very well could have been the case with Davis at Memphis. Either way, their loss certainly looks to be our gain.
Feel free to follow me @RPKraemer on the Twitter Machine. Always up for talking Redbird Hoops and Football. Go Birds!

StLRedbird
Sophomore

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:37 am

Redbird28 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:01 pm
Football coaches are sometimes like fans and slap a label on a guy and recruit over him. That very well could have been the case with Davis at Memphis. Either way, their loss certainly looks to be our gain.
Thought you were headed in a different direction for a second. ;-) Davis appears to have brought no baggage here with him. Carries himself well with the media and seems to be a good locker room guy. I'm looking forward to seeing him play. Spack said we believe he'll be granted a medical redshirt and have 3 yrs eligibility, iirc.

fourthandshort
Senior

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:07 pm

so Indiana St is at EIU this week ... with 12 mins to go in Q3, they are up 31-20. I am a bit concerned though that InSU is out-rushing EIU at their place by 196 yards to 29 yards. We gave up 203 rushing yards to EIU at our place.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

fourthandshort
Senior

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:10 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:07 pm
so Indiana St is at EIU this week ... with 12 mins to go in Q3, they are up 31-20. I am a bit concerned though that InSU is out-rushing EIU at their place by 196 yards to 29 yards. We gave up 203 rushing yards to EIU at our place.
EIU is torching them with pass game .. up to 260 passing yards .. and just scored, so it is 31-27 InSU with 9 mins left in Q3.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

• Information