If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

"Indoor Facility ... #1 priority" ... AD Larry Lyons

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

isuquinndog
Site Admin

Tue May 21, 2019 8:16 am

ISU may have been a "fall back" school for some. I can tell you it wasn't for me. I was accepted to both and there was no question where I was going as a music major (at the time). UIUC was my fall back.
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!
chuckie1980
Junior

Tue May 21, 2019 8:44 am

ISU was my first and only choice.

I grew up in ChampaignUrbana area and when I visited Green Street...loved everything about Green St except the students (and my beef was usually associated with the Greeks).
Reggie Redbird
Sophomore

Fri May 24, 2019 10:48 am

isuquinndog wrote:
ISU may have been a "fall back" school for some. I can tell you it wasn't for me. I was accepted to both and there was no question where I was going as a music major (at the time). UIUC was my fall back.
Quinn makes a good point. Where you go to school depends on the program you want. ISU is competing for top students against UIUC in programs like accounting, sales, nursing, theatre, and especially education. It would be interesting to see our rankings if we had one of: law school, medical school, or engineering school. At least we're making progress on the last one.

Where IL is going to take a lot of competition is schools like Alabama who go into a Chicago suburb graduating class and pluck 5 of the top 10 students with full tuition scholarships. My (much) younger cousin just graduated from Alabama with a 4.0 in Engineering. He was top-10 in his class out of HS and continued to excel in college. U of I wasn't going to give him anywhere close to full tuition, especially considering his family's income level.
ISUBird
Freshman

Fri May 24, 2019 12:54 pm

Reggie Redbird wrote:
Quinn makes a good point. Where you go to school depends on the program you want. ISU is competing for top students against UIUC in programs like accounting, sales, nursing, theatre, and especially education. It would be interesting to see our rankings if we had one of: law school, medical school, or engineering school. At least we're making progress on the last one.

Where IL is going to take a lot of competition is schools like Alabama who go into a Chicago suburb graduating class and pluck 5 of the top 10 students with full tuition scholarships. My (much) younger cousin just graduated from Alabama with a 4.0 in Engineering. He was top-10 in his class out of HS and continued to excel in college. U of I wasn't going to give him anywhere close to full tuition, especially considering his family's income level.
I knew two people who were accepted into Brown and Chicago but chose ISU due to cost.

Adding a law school would be nice because it doesn't need the space or cost that a medical school requires.
ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Tue May 28, 2019 7:15 pm

ISUBird wrote:
Reggie Redbird wrote:

I knew two people who were accepted into Brown and Chicago but chose ISU due to cost.

Adding a law school would be nice because it doesn't need the space or cost that a medical school requires.
That is interesting and very unique. Average ACT for Chicago is in the 32-35 range and Brown is 31-34 range. Tuition and costs are definitely a huge consideration/issue (unfortunately I know the Chicago tuition pain as my daughter graduated there 4 years ago). But why drop from considering a top 3 university (Chicago) and top 14 (Brown) down to 171 (and that is no knock on ISU)? There are some damn good stops in-between that are basically the same economic proposition ( example u of i ranked 46) as ISU and I would guess that academic scholarships would be readily available at many many in-between universities if the student got into Chicago/Brown. It would be interesting to know their chosen major.
jbird
Freshman

Fri May 31, 2019 11:21 pm

isuquinndog wrote:
Ditto here. I grew up 20 miles from u of i campus, liked them when I was an eight year old, but outgrew them. Was accepted there but chose ISU, and if I had that decision to re-live 100 times, 100 more times I would choose ISU over u of i. In law school, totally unsolicited, I was told that a retired judge in my hometown could use connections to clear a path for me to transfer to u of I's law school. Wasn't interested. There's nothing there that I envy, and lots at ISU that I cherish.
ISUBird
Freshman

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:18 pm

ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 7:15 pm
ISUBird wrote:
Reggie Redbird wrote:

That is interesting and very unique. Average ACT for Chicago is in the 32-35 range and Brown is 31-34 range. Tuition and costs are definitely a huge consideration/issue (unfortunately I know the Chicago tuition pain as my daughter graduated there 4 years ago). But why drop from considering a top 3 university (Chicago) and top 14 (Brown) down to 171 (and that is no knock on ISU)? There are some damn good stops in-between that are basically the same economic proposition ( example u of i ranked 46) as ISU and I would guess that academic scholarships would be readily available at many many in-between universities if the student got into Chicago/Brown. It would be interesting to know their chosen major.
If I remember correctly one was education and the other was political science. The one who majored in education also passed on Illinois.
Redbirdwarrior
Junior

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:03 pm

So the Redbird Rising 3 year fundraising campaign hit its $150,000,000 goal 13 months early (someone give a bonus to that fundraising team!)

I think it is certainly possible to raise the $$$ for an indoor facility if you reach out to the right companies.

Hell, they made $150,000,000 in a little over 20 months. They might be able to raise enough to open a medical, law or engineering school.
isuquinndog
Site Admin

Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:09 pm

LET'S WIN THIS GAME!
fourthandshort
Senior

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:47 pm

and here is Redbird Rising Promo video featuring our AD Larry Lyons where he states the #1 priority for sports is a multi-purpose indoor facility.

https://goredbirds.com/showcase/embed.a ... rue&title=
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!
ISUBU
Sophomore

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:50 pm

The Capital Bill appears to have funds for the long delayed arts classroom building. That will include space for the glass house, and I imagine it's current home will be demolished. That is the building between Hancock and UHigh. That should add about 30 tailgating spots.

All dependent on the State releasing the cash ( unlike the last time it was "funded"), and then construction. So a few years away still.
TheTruth
Sophomore

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:07 am

So every other department met/exceeded their fundraising goal thru this campaign, except athletics? And Larry Lyons is still employed , why? There are never any consequences for this guy continually coming up short, it's almost unbelievable.
Reassign Larry Lyons!
gobirds85
Junior

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:09 am

TheTruth wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:07 am
So every other department met/exceeded their fundraising goal thru this campaign, except athletics? And Larry Lyons is still employed , why? There are never any consequences for this guy continually coming up short, it's almost unbelievable.
Larry Lyons isn't the guy to get it done. University presidents, ADs, VPs of Foundations/Advancement should be the type of individual you want to talk with and then reach for your check book. The successful leaders are also great salespeople. Larry does not fill this criteria.

Waiting for the "thanks Muller" in 3...2...1...
stavs4
Freshman

Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:21 pm

Virginia Redbird wrote:
ricohill wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:52 pm
Total Red wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:44 pm
CU may have touched on why the Athletic Dept could reach the 34 million goal without having the money to put up an indoor practice facility. The money received so far could have been earmarked by donors for other purposes. The indoor facility may have been the dept. #1 priority at one time but surprise (not) we're getting a Redbird Arena renovation first.
The Arena is using bond money to pay for it. I don't think any money was raised for the project.

http://www.videtteonline.com/news/board ... d6662.html

When they got back from Frisco, I wish they would have put together a fundraising plan and goal for the indoor facility. They could have put together a fundraising campaign and probably would have raised enough to break ground.
Yes, the Athletic Department missed the window of opportunity to build on the excitement and interest following the National Title appearance. That was the time to push Redbird Football if you wanted to move to the next level. I think it is clear that is not an interest in the Athletic department overall. Now after a couple of mediocre seasons, the interest has probably waned a bit and the opportunity is lost Another good season for Redbird Football would help but I think Coach Spack and his staff are back to climbing the mountain of expectations. Instead of expecting the team to be good ... most fans are back to just hoping the team will be good. If you look back over the past couple seasons on this board I think you see that after the title game appearance the expectations were high and fans felt a corner had been turned. Now it is hoping Brady is good ... hoping the receiving corps is solid ... hoping Beathard can turn the offense around ... just hoping. I hope the Birds have a great season in 2019 but I am not confident of making the playoffs or another title run. Why should I be? The Redbird Football fan base is back to just "hoping" we make the playoffs this year. Real movement on an indoor facility would have been a good sign that the university is really serious about being a top-notch program. Coach Spack has already commented that without an upgrade he is seriously hampered in recruiting. You want to have a consistent winner ... you need great players.
The time to push for new funding for the Indoor facility was when the initial 5 year pledges ended from the Hancock Stadium Expansion. Instead they increased the WSF donation for Club Seat holders. Then the Gub-ment took that away as a charitable donation.
If they had rolled out a new 5 year pledge for Athletics to build an indoor facility, I’m sure it would have received a much more favorable response than having to double your per seat donation. (I know...different pot, same kitchen.) I think they made a marketing mistake with their most ardent supporters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CaliRdBrd
Senior

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:08 pm

Just curious what other FBS and FCS teams do not have indoor facilities?
TIMMY
Senior

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:50 pm

CaliRdBrd wrote:
Good question. Don't have the time to figure it out but I do know this.

Column A: North Dakota State, Northern Iowa and South Dakota all play in domes. South Dakota State and Youngstown State have indoor practice facilities.

Column B: Illinois State, along with Missouri State, Southern Illinois, Western Illinois and Indiana State currently don't have indoor practice facilities. :oops:

That's our completion year in and year out so it's all that really matters.
tjbison
Freshman

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:44 pm

TIMMY wrote:
CaliRdBrd wrote:

Column A: North Dakota State, Northern Iowa and South Dakota all play in domes. South Dakota State and Youngstown State have indoor practice facilities.

Column B: Illinois State, along with Missouri State, Southern Illinois, Western Illinois and Indiana State currently don't have indoor practice facilities. :oops:

We technically have an Inflatable bubble they put up in the late fall over the Soccer field (our old FB stadium used to be there)

The Turf and Grass FB practice fields are in the works to be replaced with a new IPF.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/lssl2Kbdld4hA/?red=a

Also UND who will be joining in 2 years has a IPF already in Place
TIMMY
Senior

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:25 pm

tjbison wrote:
TIMMY wrote:
CaliRdBrd wrote:

We technically have an Inflatable bubble they put up in the late fall over the Soccer field (our old FB stadium used to be there)

The Turf and Grass FB practice fields are in the works to be replaced with a new IPF.

That's really sweet. Love the garage doors leading out to the outdoor field. Nice to have access to both fields on nice days. Reminds me of UVA. Same concept.
fourthandshort
Senior

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:51 am

TIMMY wrote:
CaliRdBrd wrote:

so just look at your split of MVFC teams ... now roughly count the number of playoff appearances over say last 10 years in your column A versus your column B ... first noting, USD is weakest link in your column A and ISUr is strongest link in your column B, then maybe WIU. Putting aside the obvious factor (cold vs colder climates), you just perfectly divided the league into upper half and lower half of performers over last 10 seasons.

Coincidence ? I think not.
fourthandshort
Senior

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:57 am

tjbison wrote:
TIMMY wrote:
CaliRdBrd wrote:

TJBison .. welcome to Redbird Nation forum. That looks great obviously, guessing it wil benefit other sports more than football, since you already have an indoor facility .. but still nice to have another multipurpose facility.

I've been to Fargodone ... that was a great (big and convenient) parking lot you are losing right in front of the entrance to your stadium ... can imagine those were premium spots for tailgating, which probably generated lot of revenue. Were there strong objections to this from donors who used those spaces ??

And how are you feeling about your QB position ... who do you thinkg is going to emerge ?