If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

@ Missouri St - 3 pm - ESPN3

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
stats
Sophomore

Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:35 pm

7.8 seconds left. MSU hits a free throw to make it to make it 65 to 63. Dan calls a time out. The crowd is screaming angrily. It appeared something happened on the other end of the court that we didn't see. Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about or what happened?
isuquinndog
Site Admin

Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:36 pm

Humdinger wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:30 pm
isuquinndog wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:19 pm
—————————————————————

From this point on if your post is about another poster you get 24 hours off. Go.

That Humdinger is an incompetent goody two shoes a$$hole!
~Hamdonger
Nice try. You have to give yourself timeouts. 😂
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!
Santa Cason
Sophomore

Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:43 pm

Bird Friend wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:15 pm
Santa Cason wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:58 pm
I appreciate Dan’s contributions to this program and will always be a fan, but at this point, the program is not improving.

He’s recruiting these players who can’t execute late in games.

That BLOB Is inexcusable, as is calling a timeout to allow the defense to set up whatever defense they want.

I expected more. A lot more. The program isn’t where it should be and I’m tired of the mediocrity.

Hope we avoid Thursday at this point.
You know damn well that if he didn't call a timeout and the same thing happened, you'd be complaining about not calling a timeout. I'm not defending Dan, just pointing something you know is true.
You’re crazy if you think I’d blast him for not using a timeout there.

You don’t burn your final timeout and allow the opposing team to set up the defense and not have one left. You have one left and you don’t have a guy make an ill-advised pass.

Simple basketball.

Just because someone doesn’t agree with you doesn’t make it wrong. To each their own, I guess.
Humdinger
Senior

Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:57 pm

stats wrote:
7.8 seconds left. MSU hits a free throw to make it to make it 65 to 63. Dan calls a time out. The crowd is screaming angrily. It appeared something happened on the other end of the court that we didn't see. Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about or what happened?

Last post...Dan chucked his water bottle on the court, threw it down. Not cross court or anything.
ISU FAN 1
Senior

isuquinndog wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:19 pm
—————————————————————

From this point on if your post is about another poster you get 24 hours off. Go.
A 24 hour reprieve from Redbird basketball is punishment? Sign me up. Sounds like a gift.
RedbirdMan
Sophomore

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:15 pm

The one COY in the MVC argument for seven years is a bad one. It has become very evident also that the team that year was mostly successful because of Yaklich and Oliver. Paris Lee and Tony Wills were the players they were because of those two coaches.

The thing that is maybe the most maddening to me is that there isn’t a single player on this team that has developed over the last two years. All of these players are worse than they were two years ago. He is not doing his job well. How can anyone point to one MVC regular season championship and one second round NIT appearance over seven years and think that Muller is the right coach.
bb fan
Senior

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:24 pm

Lots of posts here. Sorry I am not doing a good job keeping up. Read some, saw somebody asked about what I think of our head coach.

As a coach, I neither love or hate HCDM. As a person I know him as a great guy. I felt the same way about Porter. I think he has learned a lot as an HC, And some hits and misses are the price we signed up to pay hiring a guy new to head coaching.

So, he has set a team record 28 wins. He had been named Valley COY. I think he has brought in some excellent recruits. I am not gonna flip out one way or another on Dan after another crazy impossible banked in shot to lose a game. BTW, I saw the play again just now. Whoever posted that there was a clear cut double dribble just before the shot was spot on.

Anyway, HCDM has never had a losing record. He has one of the best conference W-L record of any of our coaches He had a team that should gotten an at large just two years ago. So I am not ready to fire him. I really can't understand any scenario or grounds for that to happen. A handful of negative nellie / debbie downer folks on a message board is not going to get it done.

And those that keep trashing the Valley, fine. Again, a league just last year had a ff team. And a league with an excellent performance track record in the tourney. It does not change my mind that you have 5 conferences that control the NCAA to get whatever they want. Yep, like most conferences, they have artificially demoted us to a one bid league. So it goes. It was the way even before Wichita bolted. Even Creighton.

Today was AWFUL. Many things in my family room were tossed wildly around. This is crazy weird and sickening. But to read a few posters here, you think HCDM drew it up that way. Even the double dribble.

And folks, let's face it. This is not about Muller. Or today's game. It is about 2 decades of NOT making the tourney. I have asked you debbie downers who want to throw everybody out and burn the program down what is it that we could have done? Would have done? What have we done to cause the lack of bids. I got nothing, and neither have any of you, because when I have asked, it have been nothing but crickets. I hate that we have not danced this millenia. I am not giving up on our coaches, players or programs.

So anyway, I am honestly tired of hearing some of the drivel and diatribe here. That's the best I have now, Not sure when I can read or post again. Have a great evening.
Red Rocker
Freshman

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:34 pm

COY. 17-1 was a great year - exceeded expectations, however a 40 point loss at Wichita and a 20 point whipping in the Championship and an 18 point blown lead at home in NIT were all the same year. If we lose by 20 at WSU and by less than 10 in STL, we get an at large bid. The total breakdowns keep happening.

This is Dan, great one moment and horrible the next.

They say a team takes on the personality of the coach, well, here we are.

We will be between 2nd - 5th every year and some think that is fine. I would rather be 1st and 10th every other year.

As for the MVC, we had a final four team last year so let’s not bash it too much. The teams do lack consistency across the board this year which frustrates everyone.

There is no chance this team wins in STL simply because they either lack focus or toughness or both long enough periods of time to win 3 straight. They may look great Friday and Sat and get blown out Sunday or they may get beat by 17 on Friday.

My bet is there is one more buzzer beater coming our way and ends one of the most frustrating seasons imaginable.
saxman210
Sophomore

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:46 pm

bawhale88 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:27 pm
what will it take for muller to be on the hot seat? 7 years and no results
I was just curious, so I looked at Evansville. Marty Simmons was there 11 years and never won a conference regular season title (Dan had a co-regular season title) and never won a conference tourney. So maybe the answer to your question is 11 years, by then this contract will be up.

Note: I’m not against Dan Muller and hope he performs well enough to warrant another extension. But I do agree with posters that his teams have to do better.
#RedbirdTwitter: twitter.com/saxman210

Please support Lurie Children’s Hospital and Team Super Sawyer! foundation.luriechildrens.org/goto/BrianGreenenwald
gobirds85
Junior

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:54 pm

bb fan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:24 pm
Lots of posts here. Sorry I am not doing a good job keeping up. Read some, saw somebody asked about what I think of our head coach.

As a coach, I neither love or hate HCDM. As a person I know him as a great guy. I felt the same way about Porter. I think he has learned a lot as an HC, And some hits and misses are the price we signed up to pay hiring a guy new to head coaching.

So, he has set a team record 28 wins. He had been named Valley COY. I think he has brought in some excellent recruits. I am not gonna flip out one way or another on Dan after another crazy impossible banked in shot to lose a game. BTW, I saw the play again just now. Whoever posted that there was a clear cut double dribble just before the shot was spot on.

Anyway, HCDM has never had a losing record. He has one of the best conference W-L record of any of our coaches He had a team that should gotten an at large just two years ago. So I am not ready to fire him. I really can't understand any scenario or grounds for that to happen. A handful of negative nellie / debbie downer folks on a message board is not going to get it done.

And those that keep trashing the Valley, fine. Again, a league just last year had a ff team. And a league with an excellent performance track record in the tourney. It does not change my mind that you have 5 conferences that control the NCAA to get whatever they want. Yep, like most conferences, they have artificially demoted us to a one bid league. So it goes. It was the way even before Wichita bolted. Even Creighton.

Today was AWFUL. Many things in my family room were tossed wildly around. This is crazy weird and sickening. But to read a few posters here, you think HCDM drew it up that way. Even the double dribble.

And folks, let's face it. This is not about Muller. Or today's game. It is about 2 decades of NOT making the tourney. I have asked you debbie downers who want to throw everybody out and burn the program down what is it that we could have done? Would have done? What have we done to cause the lack of bids. I got nothing, and neither have any of you, because when I have asked, it have been nothing but crickets. I hate that we have not danced this millenia. I am not giving up on our coaches, players or programs.

So anyway, I am honestly tired of hearing some of the drivel and diatribe here. That's the best I have now, Not sure when I can read or post again. Have a great evening.
Calling people Debbie downers probably doesn’t advance the discussion but if it makes you feel better, then have at it. Coaches are judged by wins and losses. Muller has been here seven years and we haven’t danced. Close is only good and hand grenades and horseshoes. And I couldn’t give a 💩 about COY. What did that get us? Zilch.

He schedules well, and had brought in some good recruits. That being said, his inability to retain quality players, grow players, and coach with a lead is lacking along with other in game inadequacies has led to this place right now.

Last year’s valley means nothing. And we had one team play post season. No NIT bids so last year really wasn’t that awesome.

This year the valley sucks. Look at the record. It speaks for itself. Once again only one team will dance unless Loyola trips up in the Lou. If we can’t win this year then it won’t happen with this coach.

And if we don’t dance, then it’s time to cut and run. And hopefully the rumor about this being Lyons last year is true. ISU needs to head in a new direction.

I respect your opinion, man, but I can’t drink the kool aid anymore.
Red Rocker
Freshman

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:56 pm

Bb, I was typing when you posted.

One suggestion on Dan, he needs an assistant who knows X and Os.

Dan is a very good recruiter as long as he doesn’t forget about getting a PG.

Dan is a very good scheduler.

Dan is horrible at game coaching. Substitution patterns are illogical and he has these wild 15-20 point swings in too many games. When Greg Marshall gets you down by 6 it’s game over. We aren’t comfortable up 30.

I am not suggesting we fired HCDM as it’s easier to go from 3rd to 1st than 10th to 1st, but he has to improve. We are further away from winning a bid than the standings have shown.

I think the point of the postings is most of us thought Dan could get us there as he should be smart enough to close the gaps on his weaknesses, but it’s not happening for some reason and the only advice I would give is that if his ego or work ethic are preventing his progress then you have to fire him. If he continues to learn and takes input from assts and you, then let’s hope his luck gets better.
RedbirdFan2323
Freshman

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:58 pm

#FireDanMuller The experiment is over crew. He can’t keep a team together and sure as heck can’t coach in the last 2 minutes of a game. A great guy ... a great person ... not the coach we need.
redbird Recon
Freshman

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:59 pm

Red Rocker wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:34 pm
If we lose by 20 at WSU and by less than 10 in STL, we get an at large bid.
I strongly doubt this alternate universe exists as you explain it.
gobirds85
Junior

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:00 pm

saxman210 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:46 pm
bawhale88 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:27 pm
what will it take for muller to be on the hot seat? 7 years and no results
I was just curious, so I looked at Evansville. Marty Simmons was there 11 years and never won a conference regular season title (Dan had a co-regular season title) and never won a conference tourney. So maybe the answer to your question is 11 years, by then this contract will be up.

Note: I’m not against Dan Muller and hope he performs well enough to warrant another extension. But I do agree with posters that his teams have to do better.
Can anyone imagine how many will be at RBA after a couple more years of this?
Last edited by gobirds85 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
stats
Sophomore

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:20 pm

Humdinger wrote:
stats wrote:

Last post...Dan chucked his water bottle on the court, threw it down. Not cross court or anything.
Thanks, Was that just to get attention for a time-out?
ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:33 pm

Bird Friend wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:25 pm
ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:11 pm
Bird Friend wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:58 pm

So COY doesn't count? I'm pretty sure it does in Lyons' and Dietz's eyes.
That statement says it all about ISU athletics.... nothing but low hurdles for success and the MVC COY is a perfect example. COY in the lowly MVC is a equivalent to a 7 year old's participation trophy for playing basketball. The culture of ISU sports makes me sick as nothing meaningfully will change until expectations are raised.
A 7-yr old's participation trophy? Please. At least come up with a reasonable analogy.
It is reasonable. MVC COY, from a conference that does not have enough juice to get a 17-1 conference record into the NCAA tourney, means little or nothing. I believe SIU's coach was COY recently and he is about to be fired.
gobirds85
Junior

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:51 pm

I brought myself to watch the finish again and he clearly traveled but we should have never been in that position.

We hit some fts. We win.
We inbound the ball. We win.
We dive on the floor. We win.
The refs make the right call. We win.

But hey, we make ESPN again. Yay!
HT59
Sophomore

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:41 pm

Red Rocker wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:56 pm
Bb, I was typing when you posted.

One suggestion on Dan, he needs an assistant who knows X and Os.

Dan is a very good recruiter as long as he doesn’t forget about getting a PG.

Dan is a very good scheduler.

Dan is horrible at game coaching. Substitution patterns are illogical and he has these wild 15-20 point swings in too many games. When Greg Marshall gets you down by 6 it’s game over. We aren’t comfortable up 30.

I am not suggesting we fired HCDM as it’s easier to go from 3rd to 1st than 10th to 1st, but he has to improve. We are further away from winning a bid than the standings have shown.

I think the point of the postings is most of us thought Dan could get us there as he should be smart enough to close the gaps on his weaknesses, but it’s not happening for some reason and the only advice I would give is that if his ego or work ethic are preventing his progress then you have to fire him. If he continues to learn and takes input from assts and you, then let’s hope his luck gets better.
This team, among other things needs continuity. I have mentioned the round robin of assistant coaches. Most responses said that was part of mid major college basketball. There were always any number of good coaches waiting in the wings. Bullshit, not buying it at all. These guys need some consistency and structure year to year. It appears to me that coaching the game is not the biggest challenge Muller faces. Some of the pregame body language indicates he has lost the team. Maybe not completely lost them but they clearly have different agendas. IMO, the erratic play is a reflection of the behind the scenes conditions of the program.
Bird Friend
Senior

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:09 am

ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:33 pm
Bird Friend wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:25 pm
ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:11 pm

That statement says it all about ISU athletics.... nothing but low hurdles for success and the MVC COY is a perfect example. COY in the lowly MVC is a equivalent to a 7 year old's participation trophy for playing basketball. The culture of ISU sports makes me sick as nothing meaningfully will change until expectations are raised.
A 7-yr old's participation trophy? Please. At least come up with a reasonable analogy.
It is reasonable. MVC COY, from a conference that does not have enough juice to get a 17-1 conference record into the NCAA tourney, means little or nothing. I believe SIU's coach was COY recently and he is about to be fired.
BS . . . but . . . whatever
RedbirdSoxFan
Junior

Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:34 am

This is what the three Illinois State Seniors, and their coach did in the last 1:50 seconds of the game. ZERO basketball IQ with this Senior class.
1:50 left in game and Illinois State up by 6 Milik Yarbrough throws ball out of bounds.
1:44 left in game with Redbirds up 6 Keyshawn Evans fouls Jarrod Dixon (makes both free throws)
7.0 seconds left with Illinois State up 65-60 Phil Fayne fouls Josh Webster as he makes a layup.
After Josh Webster makes free-throw to cut lead to two, Coach Muller call his last timeout. This allows Missouri State to set up inbounds play defense AND leaves ZERO timeouts left for Matt Chastain to use instead of forcing a bad inbounds pass.

Sorry if this was already posted earlier in thread, but I couldn’t get myself to read through all the comments.