If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Lexi Wallen, from VB to BBall....

The place to talk Redbird Women's Basketball

MadBird
Sophomore

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:17 pm

I don't really mean this as a cut to Coach G, but I hope she gives this lady a chance to help. Coach seems to have a short bench - I know there are injuries this year, but even at the beginning she didn't seem to use all her "weapons". Wallen looks to have some skills, at least 4 years ago.

TIMMY
Junior

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:49 pm

Lexi has finished her volleyball eligibility but could play basketball this year and next.

JHBird
Junior

Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:54 am

This really made my day. Hope she gets into some games soon. If she scores I'll probably yell out 'POINT ILLINOIS STATE, WHOOOOO!"

Reggie Redbird
Sophomore

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:24 am

With our bench depth right now, they may not have a choice. If she wants to pursue a Masters' degree free of charge, this would be the perfect way to do it to play another year after this one.

Here's the problem we have:

"We are so excited about our 2019 recruiting class," said head coach Kristen Gillespie. "Our staff has worked diligently to add three outstanding young women to our program. Each one fills a need and adds depth to our team. They are players who excel in the classroom, on the court and will be phenomenal ambassadors for our university."

We graduate three seniors (excluding Wallen) and are adding three recruits. I like the talent of the players coming in, but they don't really add depth because we're replacing three graduates on a very short roster. On top of that, Millie Stevens slot is open. Unless we add at least one more player, we aren't adding depth from this year. To replace what we are losing from the senior class, we need to add at least four players.

To balance out classes, it may be best to add a JUCO/GR transfer or two who can play next year. You would then still have room for another player to add into the mix if you wanted whether a freshman, a transfer, etc.

On a side note, we will have to decide at some point if we are going to redshirt/medical redshirt any of the players currently injured. Saylor may be brought back if she is cleared before the end of the month, but at some point, is it worth burning a year of eligibility to have someone play 30-50% of a season? It may not be unless the player wants to graduate in four years.

• Information