If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

NAU Game (9/21/19)

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

mtjack
Freshman
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:46 pm

Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:16 pm

NAU plays in a dome. Most of the team hails from Phoenix, Tucson and Southern California.....places where weather (aside from heat) is rarely an obstacle. Any form of weather to speak of has rarely been of benefit to Lumberjack teams.

Lots of beauty in the American Southwest for sure but the Midwest has its own charm. Seeing actual water in rivers, trees and the colors "blue" and "green" are a treat after living in the desert for years.

I have a few NAU fan/alum friends making the trip to Illinois State today. Wish I could've made the trip as well.
User avatar
SoCalRedbird
Sophomore
Posts: 320
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:22 pm

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:55 pm

mtjack wrote:NAU plays in a dome. Most of the team hails from Phoenix, Tucson and Southern California.....places where weather (aside from heat) is rarely an obstacle. Any form of weather to speak of has rarely been of benefit to Lumberjack teams.

Lots of beauty in the American Southwest for sure but the Midwest has its own charm. Seeing actual water in rivers, trees and the colors "blue" and "green" are a treat after living in the desert for years.

I have a few NAU fan/alum friends making the trip to Illinois State today. Wish I could've made the trip as well.
Our family made it out to Flagstaff from southern CA to see ISU two years ago. What an amazing place!

Definitely a university town with amazing scenery, a vibrant downtown, and amazing hiking/nature. We've been back twice already, and I have steered several CA high school graduates to NAU due to reciprocal tuition waivers. After separate trips to ASU, GCU, and NAU, my 9 y/o claims that NAU is "hands down" the best school in Arizona. We hit Tucson in a couple months.

Now that we've exchanged pleasantries, I hope the Birds annihilate the Jacks by 30. Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 2288
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:59 pm

forgot they were indoor team, , not to mention from a dessert region, and depends on timing of strong pass game to move the ball ... so yes, rain should help us ... in theory.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!
User avatar
TIMMY
Senior
Posts: 1202
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: 1050 W Addison

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:36 pm

SoCalRedbird wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:55 pm
mtjack wrote:NAU plays in a dome. Most of the team hails from Phoenix, Tucson and Southern California.....places where weather (aside from heat) is rarely an obstacle. Any form of weather to speak of has rarely been of benefit to Lumberjack teams.

Lots of beauty in the American Southwest for sure but the Midwest has its own charm. Seeing actual water in rivers, trees and the colors "blue" and "green" are a treat after living in the desert for years.

I have a few NAU fan/alum friends making the trip to Illinois State today. Wish I could've made the trip as well.
Our family made it out to Flagstaff from southern CA to see ISU two years ago. What an amazing place!

Definitely a university town with amazing scenery, a vibrant downtown, and amazing hiking/nature. We've been back twice already, and I have steered several CA high school graduates to NAU due to reciprocal tuition waivers. After separate trips to ASU, GCU, and NAU, my 9 y/o claims that NAU is "hands down" the best school in Arizona. We hit Tucson in a couple months.

Now that we've exchanged pleasantries, I hope the Birds annihilate the Jacks by 30. Image

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
It's been a few years but the sights around ASU are tough to beat.
The FOE feature is easily accessible on the top line of your User Control Panel. :D
User avatar
Virginia Redbird
Sophomore
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:51 pm
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia

Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:07 pm

Looks like the defense can't cover anyone tonight so far.
“When you have great players, playing great, well that’s great football!”
John Madden
Redbird Alum 2004
Senior
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:45 pm

Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:36 pm

Brady Davis has been great tonight. Making some really nice reads and throws.
User avatar
Virginia Redbird
Sophomore
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:51 pm
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:07 pm

Brady Davis had a great game tonight. Edgar was great as well. The defense was on their heels in the first half but the owned NAU in the second half. This game took forever to play. Long game but terrific result!
“When you have great players, playing great, well that’s great football!”
John Madden
Brick
Sophomore
Posts: 429
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:51 pm

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:15 pm

So much for the doubts about our passing game!!!! Defense was outstanding!
fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 2288
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:22 pm

I didn't get to watch but followed the stats ... phenomenal game by Brady, seems like many big throws. Lot of yards per catch too. Was great to see him find his groove. This will give Bison something different to game plan for. Also great tp see Edgar back in full health ... 12 catches for 228 yards .. think he had 1 catch last week.

Now this is something to build on. Not going to expect this against Bison, but this should give us enough confidence in our pass game to keep them more honest.

Great timing too ... let's ride this momentum thru bye week to MVFC opener.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!
Humdinger
Senior
Posts: 1668
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:25 pm

A big giant :character-afro: "kiss my a**" :character-afro: from Brady Davis to redbirdfan.net tonight.

Call it a weak defense or whatever but BIG KUDOS to Davis. Happy for you, Brady, and for The Redbirds!!
Redbird Alum 2004
Senior
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:45 pm

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:46 pm

Any update on Edgar? Really hoping he isn't hurt badly.
ekeyfanclub
Sophomore
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:06 pm

Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:47 pm

Spack said they were a little more concerned about Edgar's injury than anyone else's.
ISUBU
Sophomore
Posts: 222
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:07 pm

ekeyfanclub wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:47 pm
Spack said they were a little more concerned about Edgar's injury than anyone else's.
Looked like a left shoulder issue to me - appearing not at all related to his earlier hamstring issues. I could see Edgar pretty well from my seat, and his facial expression coming off the field looked disappointed.
User avatar
Redbirdwarrior
Junior
Posts: 654
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:46 pm

Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:42 am

Edgar's mannerisms coming off the field screams collarbone. I hope I'm wrong.
User avatar
Sanantoniobird
Sophomore
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:26 am

Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:08 am

I can def see why people aren't talking about this game much. I stayed up super late to watch an awesome display of defense and offense from our Redbirds (sprinkled with 11 penalties) but such a downer to see Edgar walk to the locker room 4 games into the season. It didn't look good as he didn't look like he could move his left side. Hoping at worst it's a fractured collarbone and he'd be available by quarterfinals at the earliest. Such a bummer. :angry-cussingblack:
But next man up!
User avatar
StLRedbird
Sophomore
Posts: 428
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:10 am

Well, that was the Brady Davis we've been hoping to see this season. I just about lost my mind early in the game when we continued to run JR & Proctor right into a defense that was stacking nine in the box. Seen that movie before. I hope the Edgar injury is less severe than feared.

Our defense is rock solid. Wonders what an effective pass rush can do for a team. Like night and day compared to last year. Like Lou Brown said in Major League, I think this is starting to come together.
fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 2288
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:40 am

Bummed to hear about Edgar .. didn't realize he was injured. Davis will really miss having him out there.

As for Davis ... just phenomenal though I didn't watch .. the stats speak for themselves.. many big plays and downfield. This will realy help keep teams from stacking box if we can keep this up. Davis showed what he is capable of ... good for him .. now need to ride this wave thru some tough games. This will also allow OC Beathard to use the whole playbook. That said, I expect we will obviously struggle to move the ball like this against Bison .. but weve now opened up the playbook and given Bison more to gameplan for .. which will give us a much better chance against Bison.

As for defense, our last 2 games .. we have 13 sacks plus 27 QBHs. Some would argue both of their OLs were weak. But those 2 teams both played middling FBS teams Indiana and Arizona) and only gave up 3 sacks and 2 QBHs combined against the same OLs we faced.

Off the frickin charts !!!
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!
User avatar
Virginia Redbird
Sophomore
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:51 pm
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:50 am

StLRedbird wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:10 am
Well, that was the Brady Davis we've been hoping to see this season. I just about lost my mind early in the game when we continued to run JR & Proctor right into a defense that was stacking nine in the box. Seen that movie before. I hope the Edgar injury is less severe than feared.

Our defense is rock solid. Wonders what an effective pass rush can do for a team. Like night and day compared to last year. Like Lou Brown said in Major League, I think this is starting to come together.
It was hard to watch the first half. First down...Robinson run into essentially the entire Lumberjacks front 9! It was not just seven early on. It looked as if they put people out on the wideouts and EVERYONE else was near the line of scrimmage. Still, it was run on 1st down...run on 2nd down and then with 3rd and long Brady would drop back to pass. It probably was not as bad as it seemed but that is the way it felt watching. When the Birds started to pass some on 1st down and ran more play-action the passing game got going and yardage started to pile up. NAU definitely watched the film of the first three games. Their entire defensive game plan seemed to be to stop the run game. They did not appear to give a seconds thought to the passing game. 400 plus yards by the passing game gives future opponents something to have to plan for and hopefully, that opens up the running game and takes some pressure off the O-Line. Brady played really well last night. Most of his passes were on target and of course, it did not hurt at all to have Edgar back on the field. All I read in the Pantagraph this morning was Spack said it was an upper-body injury. On TV it looked like as he fell he put out his hand and the force of the landing when right up his arm. I thought maybe a shoulder or collarbone injury. I am keeping my fingers crossed it is not major and he will be back. Two weeks to rest, heal and prepare. It will be interesting to see if the Bison just load the box like every other team the Birds played this year or respect the passing game. The game did not start here until 7:30 pm and went well into the night. Lots of passing, lots of reviews, lots of penalties ... long, long game and a late night for us here on the east coast but worth it!
“When you have great players, playing great, well that’s great football!”
John Madden
Jon99
Freshman
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:22 am

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:51 am

Good win, 10K a decent crowd for non-conference game.. somehow we need to establish the running game, maybe teams will stop stacking the box as much after seeing Davis throw the ball so well..
ekeyfanclub
Sophomore
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:06 pm

Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:03 am

NAU was stacking the box based on our formations. We were running a lot of 22 and 32 formations and trying to run.

When we started to go 3 wide and spread the field is when we started to move the ball. Robinson's first td came out of that formation. We also did well with play action in the jumbo formations.

I hope we continue to be less predictable on offense. I think Robinson will do well running out of more 3 wide formations. Gives him more space.

One thing I don't like about our passing offense is how many passing plays involve only two receivers running routes. There never seems to be a safety or drop off route for Davis. This is where we could get our running backs and tight ends more involved in the passing game. It is something you notice watching the game live versus watching on TV.

All that being said, that was the best offensive performance since the Roberson and Coprich days. Edgar is almost uncoverable, hoping his injury isn't too serious.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Reply