If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Eastern

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

Total Red
Junior

Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:56 am

TIMMY wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:37 pm
I'm not going to go into a ton of detail because TR will give me a hard time. But.
Ha! Now Coach you know that isn't true. I hang on every word you say. I was once found unconscious face down on my phone because I passed out trying to make it through back-to-back fourthandshort posts but you have never provided more detail than I wanted. The only thing I chided you for was the coaching lingo. This is a fan site, not a coaching clinic. Know your audience. Most coaching terminology covers relatively simple concepts that can be explained using ordinary words that fans can relate to. You don't want your lessons to be lost on pupils like me due to the language that you use.
It's like the IT guys I used to work with. They used to enjoy the blank expressions they got when they dazzled us with their technological jargon but I would just tell them - "Hey knock off the tech talk, I'm not a computer geek, I'm a sales/service guy". "Just tell me in plain english how I can get my laptop and printer working again".
Redbirdwarrior
Junior

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:02 pm

As a reminder, we are 2 and 1. The one game we were supposed to lose, we did. The two games we were supposed to dominate, we did (beating Vegas in both). I, too, have concerns about our QB situation, but boy oh boy do I love me some James Robinson. The play action should lead to at LEAST 2 wide open receivers over the middle. If Davis can simply make an accurate 11-14 yard pass every 3 plays, ISU should have a formula for success. Of course, the schedule gets harder now, so we'll see.

Other note: The ISU defense is very VERY strong. Love that.
Total Red
Junior

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:31 pm

ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:59 am
Gotta confess....you lost me with the brilliant/brilliance reference. I have seen Davis make some good passes and like they way he can scrambles too but never do I recall thinking Davis was playing brilliant. I guess I will have to pay more attention.

Look harder lol. Seriously, I'd say that Davis showed some brilliance against Eastern last year. Both Schnell and Edgar got behind the EIU defense that night and most QB's could have completed those passes but Davis hit them perfectly in stride so that they were able to go for touchdowns. Also two passes to Grimes this year would have made a NFL QB proud. First the TD pass at NIU and the opening offensive pass to Grimes against Morehead St. Both times Grimes had a step on the defender but only a step. The pass couldn't be overthrown or underthrown. Both were laser strikes with a lot of pace on the ball leaving the defenders defenseless.
TIMMY
Senior

Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:56 pm

Total Red wrote:
TIMMY wrote:
I'm not going to go into a ton of detail because TR will give me a hard time. But.
Ha! Now Coach you know that isn't true. I hang on every word you say. I was once found unconscious face down on my phone because I passed out trying to make it through back-to-back fourthandshort posts but you have never provided more detail than I wanted. The only thing I chided you for was the coaching lingo. This is a fan site, not a coaching clinic. Know your audience. Most coaching terminology covers relatively simple concepts that can be explained using ordinary words that fans can relate to. You don't want your lessons to be lost on pupils like me due to the language that you use.
It's like the IT guys I used to work with. They used to enjoy the blank expressions they got when they dazzled us with their technological jargon but I would just tell them - "Hey knock off the tech talk, I'm not a computer geek, I'm a sales/service guy". "Just tell me in plain english how I can get my laptop and printer working again".
Sure but 12 personnel is a lot less typing than one running back and two tight ends and once you've got it you've got it for life!
The FOE feature is easily accessible on the top line of your User Control Panel. :D
fourthandshort
Senior

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Total Red wrote:
TIMMY wrote:
guilty as charged .. and that was a classic IMO
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!
fourthandshort
Senior

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:16 pm

TIMMY wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:56 pm
Total Red wrote:
TIMMY wrote:
Sure but 12 personnel is a lot less typing than one running back and two tight ends and once you've got it you've got it for life!
once again, I don't know this stuff we well as you guys do, but I'm quite sure it is against to rules to have 12 players on field at same time. In fact, my Bears got penalized yesterday for having 12 in the huddle .... so I'm pretty sure on this one.

So let's dispatch with all this 12 personnel talk post haste ... we can't do it !!!

p.s. mayve I should change my name to fourthandlong to match my posts ???
Last edited by fourthandshort on Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fourthandshort
Senior

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:32 pm

Redbirdwarrior wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:02 pm
As a reminder, we are 2 and 1. The one game we were supposed to lose, we did. The two games we were supposed to dominate, we did (beating Vegas in both). I, too, have concerns about our QB situation, but boy oh boy do I love me some James Robinson. The play action should lead to at LEAST 2 wide open receivers over the middle. If Davis can simply make an accurate 11-14 yard pass every 3 plays, ISU should have a formula for success. Of course, the schedule gets harder now, so we'll see.

Other note: The ISU defense is very VERY strong. Love that.
I took our defense for granted completely against EIU ... it just felt like a sloppy game to me defensively. But then afterwards, I looked at EIU stats for their 2 prior games against Indiana and Chattanooga .. 2 total sacks. Against Indiana alone, EIU gave up just 2 sacks and 1 QBH .. we got 8 sacks and 3 QBH. But that didn't account for how many times we had arms or bodies on their QB and he slipped away. As it was happening, I was thinking we were too sloppy over overly aggressive .. as if their QB doesnt get to try. But he looked like Roberson back there avoiding sack after sack ... luckily he was terrible thrower and only broke one run (26 yards) on a designed run on first series ... but against a less agile QB, we could have had 5 more sacks easily. Granted their OL was young .. but it was same OL as Indiana faced.

I also looked big plays .. they basically had 3 for about 100 yards. One being QB fumble recovery by WR who ran it 40 yards, but we caught him from behind. One being the QB run early .. brief lapse by our defense The last being sideline pass (like NIU game) where our DB got beat to outside .. but we caught him this time. Take away those 3 plays, not like they didn;'t happen, but just to see how rest of game went ... they had 64 plays for about 90 yards .. less than 1.5 yards per play.
Chi-bird
Junior

Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:44 pm

fourthandshort wrote:

once again, I don't know this stuff we well as you guys do, but I'm quite sure it is against to rules to have 12 players on field at same time. In fact, my Bears got penalized yesterday for having 12 in the huddle .... so I'm pretty sure on this one.

So let's dispatch with all this 12 personnel talk post haste ... we can't do it !!!

Based on watching the end of the Bears game, I think it's against the rules to make contact with the quarterback as well. :whistle:
TIMMY
Senior

Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:17 pm

Chi-bird wrote:
fourthandshort wrote:

Based on watching the end of the Bears game, I think it's against the rules to make contact with the quarterback as well. :whistle:
Better not land on a QB that's for sure. Terrible.
The FOE feature is easily accessible on the top line of your User Control Panel. :D
Humdinger
Senior

Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:19 pm

Timmy...I really like hearing your perspective, just knowing your extended time in coaching budding football players. Doesn't mean I have to agree with you, but that experience buys a hek of a lot of credibility.

I love football but it was not offered as a sport where I grew up, so from a field perspective I don't know sht and I want to know who the peeps are here who can back up their talk.
fourthandshort
Senior

Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:58 pm

TIMMY wrote:
Chi-bird wrote:
fourthandshort wrote:

the call on Goldman was terrible. But it went both ways with a bad call on Denver. In both case, there isn't one thing either player should or could have done any different short of purposely missing the QB.

Just noticed how you deftly change the topic from the debate over 12 men of field .. wise move grasshopper !! :D

fourthandshort
Senior

Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:08 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
TIMMY wrote:
Chi-bird wrote:

the call on Goldman was terrible. But it went both ways with a bad call on Denver. In both case, there isn't one thing either player should or could have done any different short of purposely missing the QB.

Just noticed how you deftly change the topic from the debate over 12 men of field .. wise move grasshopper !! :D

meant to link both tweeted highlights

Humdinger
Senior

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:15 pm

fourthandshort wrote:

Even Joniak and Thayer on Bears radio said it was ridiculous.
Humdinger
Senior

Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:19 pm

CTE liability has clearly scared the dickens out of the powers that be in NY (in all fairness as it should). Are we headed to flag-football? Betting Jack Lambert's two front teeth that it's 50/50.

*OT apologies :hand:
TIMMY
Senior

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:04 am

Humdinger wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:19 pm
CTE liability has clearly scared the dickens out of the powers that be in NY (in all fairness as it should). Are we headed to flag-football? Betting Jack Lambert's two front teeth that it's 50/50.

*OT apologies :hand:
One of these days someone smarter than me is going to figure out helmets do more harm than good and football will look more like rugby. I taught rugby style tackling for years and it's becoming more and more in vogue. Also when you lose the helmets you can see players faces! Marketing!!
fourthandshort
Senior

Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:50 am

what's frustrsating about current interpretations is if you keep driving your legs thru the QB hit, you get called. But if you stop driving your legs and simple momentum causes you to fall on the QB, as was clearly the case in both plays in Bears game, you get called for falling oonthe QB. You can not call it both ways ... there is physically no other way to finish both of those tackles .. eiher legs keep moving or they don't ... both can't be penalties .. there are no other options for the defensive player when you are running full speed and 1 foot from hitting QB before he releases ball.

I'm all for protecting players including QBs .. but both of those calls were bad examples of enforcement and hurt the game. If I'm each of their coaches, I tell them ... don't do anything different, or you will have more missed sacks.
Total Red
Junior

Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:25 pm

TIMMY wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:04 am

One of these days someone smarter than me is going to figure out helmets do more harm than good
I dunno Timmy. We have our top research scientists working on a safer helmet with a breakthrough due any day now.
7092AT6GI51D1GLS-pad728x389xx444x.img.jpg
7092AT6GI51D1GLS-pad728x389xx444x.img.jpg (34.89 KiB) Viewed 1090 times