If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Eastern

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

Total Red
Junior

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:13 am

I hope everyone is expecting a battle at Eastern. We're now 0-5 in our last 5 road games. That's a streak that started with a loss to a Missouri St. team that wasn't highly regarded at the time so we're in no position to put the cruise control on against any road opponent. EIU is actually strong at QB. Brantley is a FBS transfer from Tulane. We did a good job against him last year and he's off to a slow start against good competition this year but he tore up the OVC last season. Brantley completed 65% of his passes with 14 TD's and just 2 int's. They can also throw a pretty good JC QB in there to keep us off guard.

Last year Davis was able to go over the top of the EIU defense. EIU has a new coaching staff this year but I'm sure they've watched video of that game and they'll be determined to not let it happen again. So again
the underneath passing game should be highly accessible. That will be a big part of the plan but the Redbirds can also score on the ground with the running back, they can score on the ground with the QB, special teams can score and the defense can score. There's a lot of ways to skin this panther kitty. Let's Go.
Total Red
Junior

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:27 am

To add - We have to expect to see a different Panther team. They played their first two games under a new coaching staff on the road and 1 of those games was against the Big Ten. They were still figuring things out. Game 3 at home should be different and it could all start to come together for them. So I expect a battle but if the Redbirds execute on offense and fly around on defense and special teams this game is ours.
JHBird
Senior

Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:07 pm

I want them throw to Proctor out of the backfield more. That kid can play. Oh yeah, no interceptions either.
cpacmel
Senior

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:01 pm

Illinois State - 14.5

Over / under 55
MadBird
Junior

Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:11 pm

Here's some intel from the Mattoon-Charleston Daily Bugle:

https://jg-tc.com/sports/college/easter ... 0662a.html

Pretty good article summarizing EIU's first two games. Some good news for ISU:

- no sacks, not much heat on opposing QB's.
- no starters back from last year on OL, 3 freshman starters.
- sloppy special teams play
- lack of explosive plays, only 5 of 20+ yards

This article would suggest we might be able to get the pass game going a little if they aren't showing much push on the D front.
Total Red
Junior

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:09 pm

MadBird wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:11 pm
- no starters back from last year on OL, 3 freshman starters.
Wow. As you know I'm very high on our D-Line. McKnight, Ridgeway, Lewan and Clark need to take it as an insult that someone thinks they can block them with 3 true freshmen. I'll stop short of guaranteeing victory but our D-Line will outplay their O-Line and that will make it very difficult for Eastern to win.
Chi-bird
Junior

Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:57 pm

I respect the matchup with Eastern and know that it has historically been pretty even...but we should definitely be able to handle them this year.

Birds 27
Panthers 10
fourthandshort
Senior

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:16 pm

We have demolished these guys the last 2 years .. both years and it wasn't even close in any way ... score or stats. They have us a much harder time in our 2 best years .. 2014-15. With 3 FR OL .. I don't see how they're QB ever gets on track.

The only question will be by how much .. and that will depend partly on our QB play. EIU was his best full game last year. Started a little uneven but then absolutely lit them up. His confidence was high and he was hitting receivers in stride.

Hope to see that guy again this year. But Robinson and Proctor will have a field day. This will be nice tune up game for NAU .. who will be much tougher.

Time to start putting it all together.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!
StLRedbird
Sophomore

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:40 am

I understand TRs take on this being a battle, but it sure doesn't look that way to me. I think our D stifles Eastern and we produce enough offense to win comfortably.

Redbirds 30
Black Cats 13
TIMMY
Senior

Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:36 am

Good teams figure out how to win on the road. We are a good team.
Good team - 42
Other Team - 7
The FOE feature is easily accessible on the top line of your User Control Panel. :D
redbirdfan04
Freshman

Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:39 am

I do believe we are going to see more of our true offense in this game and our defense is going to feast on an Oline with three freshman on it.

Birds-38
EIU- 13
Phantom
Sophomore

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:45 am

They'll be up for this one at home, but we just need to take advantage of one key thing:

Dominate both lines.

Get it done, 31-13
Sanantoniobird
Sophomore

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:49 pm

EIU is always a toss up for me; and it always gives me a bad feeling. After scouring their stats for something that is going to give them the edge, I was hard pressed to find anything. I’d say the one piece of good info for EIU is that they can control possession. Over their last two games they have been much better on average. Take that for what it’s worth; porous defense keeps the offense on the field -or- can hold on for the long drive. However, even if they can, according to their point totals, nothing culminates from them having the ball.
Either way, a rivalry game is nothing to take lightly, don’t care who it is.

For me, the jury’s still out on whether we are good or not. I like the studs running the ball including our QB keeping them honest. However, when are we gonna get some receivers that make teams worry? What I wouldn’t give for a Ricky Garrett, Meredith, or an O’Shaunessy. I know it takes two, but just looking at the JSU WR 1 - 3 is just intimidating.

Go Birds!
MadBird
Junior

Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:47 pm

Sanantoniobird wrote:
EIU is always a toss up for me; and it always gives me a bad feeling. After scouring their stats for something that is going to give them the edge, I was hard pressed to find anything. I’d say the one piece of good info for EIU is that they can control possession. Over their last two games they have been much better on average. Take that for what it’s worth; porous defense keeps the offense on the field -or- can hold on for the long drive. However, even if they can, according to their point totals, nothing culminates from them having the ball.

For me, the jury’s still out on whether we are good or not. I like the studs running the ball including our QB keeping them honest. However, when are we gonna get some receivers that make teams worry? What I wouldn’t give for a Ricky Garrett, Meredith, or an O’Shaunessy. I know it takes two, but just looking at the JSU WR 1 - 3 is just intimidating.

Go Birds!
Agree with the scouring the stats, but I would say their only allowing 104 ypg rushing is one thing that might not give them an edge, but maybe puts us in a position where we have to rely on the pass, which we maybe don't want to do. They give up almost 350 ypg in the air, so maybe if Davis is going to get it going, this is the week. If we can't, and their rush defense is for real, it could be closer than we'd like.

One thing from the Pantagraph this week was the injury to Megginson, and Georgie playing LG for him w/o any practice snaps, so any slip ups last week from the OL make more sense now. So, anyway, one could expect the line play to be better this week, which we may need if their DL is for real against the rush.
Birdswin
Sophomore

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:55 pm

Redbirds need to get this road game monkey off of their backs.

Birds win 44-13
Sanantoniobird
Sophomore

Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:20 am

MadBird wrote:
Sanantoniobird wrote:

Go Birds!
Agree with the scouring the stats, but I would say their only allowing 104 ypg rushing is one thing that might not give them an edge, but maybe puts us in a position where we have to rely on the pass, which we maybe don't want to do. They give up almost 350 ypg in the air, so maybe if Davis is going to get it going, this is the week. If we can't, and their rush defense is for real, it could be closer than we'd like.

One thing from the Pantagraph this week was the injury to Megginson, and Georgie playing LG for him w/o any practice snaps, so any slip ups last week from the OL make more sense now. So, anyway, one could expect the line play to be better this week, which we may need if their DL is for real against the rush.
Very nice catch, I was definitely targeting specific stats. 114 yrds rushing for Indiana. However, they went pretty deep in the bench. But we are still talking about the Big 10. So impressive.
MadBird
Junior

Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:55 am

Okay, my logic is based on -- EIU loses two road games. We're not as good as Indiana (52-0 over EIU), and probably better than Tenn-Chattanoga (24-10 over EIU). EIU is probably better than Morehead St. (ISU won 42-14) but not as good as NIU (we lose 24-10). EIU's at home for this game tho.

So we don't score as many as Indiana hung on them, but more than UTC. We score fewer than we did vs. More-head, but more than we did vs. NIU. EIU's only scored 10 points in two games, but let's say they score more than vs. Indiana, but not much more than UTC.

Birds looking to get on a roll - 34
Black Cats -- 13

If Davis and JRob break out, we could get in the 40's.
fourthandshort
Senior

Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:04 pm

So a bit more about their offense .. they lost their top 2 RBs from last year, when they ran for 195 yards on 42 carries, while we kept their pass game in check at 165 yards .. they platooned 2 guys last year, with both back this year.

This year, their run game seems to be struggling, and they are still platooning same 2 guys with neither doing much. Lost to what looks like a weak Chattanoogs team 24-10, but did show some offensive spark in pass game. But again, they are still platooning this year, same as last, and under new coaching staff.

Here are stats after 2 games, neither doing much so far. Last year they split reps about 66/34 .. similar to this year so far ... unless there was injury ??

Passing gp effic comp-att-int pct yds td lg avg/g
BRANTLEY, Johnathan 2 91.46 21-42-0 50.0 168 1 24 84.0
WOODBERY, Harry 2 84.75 16-30-1 53.3 136 0 20 68.0

My guess is a lower scoring but still dominant game again this year. I'm guessing Spack will have them ready after lackluster Morehead St game, though EIU has new coaches and home field advantage ... so we won't know them as well as they will know us.
Adunk33
Senior

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:25 pm

Easterns production team sucks.
fourthandshort
Senior

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:26 pm

blatant hold on mcknight there .. right in front of ref