If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

NIU game thread

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

fourthandshort
Senior

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:16 pm

Virginia Redbird wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:08 pm
I don't agree with the call on 4th down at all. Punt the ball and use your time outs.
I was ok with it given field position and fact that our defense has been on field a lot ... the sack certainly changed some of field position.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!
Virginia Redbird
Sophomore

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:17 pm

Waste of a good defensive effort.
“When you have great players, playing great, well that’s great football!”
John Madden
RedbirdSoxFan
Senior

Davis sucked last year, and doesn’t appear he’s gotten any better.
Santa Cason
Sophomore

This was a winnable game.

Guess all the cocky NIU posters on their message board had it right.

This is an extremely disappointing result. Game was there for the taking.
TreRoberson4Heisman
Sophomore

do we have any big target WR’s or all 6’0” “speedsters”
ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Virginia Redbird wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:15 pm
Does not matter now anyway. Another bad throw by Brady seals the NIU win.
AGREE!! We were both right or maybe both were wrong!
StLRedbird
Sophomore

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:19 pm

Damn. That was gut punch at the end. Helluva effort by a lot of Redbirds. We were close, but they have a better team. It ain't all on Davis. Our OL was flat stuffed by their defensive front.
Virginia Redbird
Sophomore

ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Virginia Redbird wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:15 pm
Does not matter now anyway. Another bad throw by Brady seals the NIU win.
AGREE!! We were both right or maybe both were wrong!
HAHA! No heartburn Chi! See everyone next game!
“When you have great players, playing great, well that’s great football!”
John Madden
fourthandshort
Senior

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:23 pm

They sure are making Robinson look very mortal today.
ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:23 pm

Will say it again...finally the powers that be scheduled an interesting opening game. Despite outcome it was a fun game to anticipate/watch. The MVFC should schedule some interesting games early in the season like the upper level of football does to help build fan following.

NIU was the better team.
Santa Cason
Sophomore

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:30 pm

I wish NIU the best the remainder of the way.

They were the better team tonight. We had our chances, but they dominated the line of scrimmage all night and Bowers made a few really nice throws.

Tip your cap.
fourthandshort
Senior

Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:10 pm

StLRedbird wrote:
Damn. That was gut punch at the end. Helluva effort by a lot of Redbirds. We were close, but they have a better team. It ain't all on Davis. Our OL was flat stuffed by their defensive front.
This !!! But if Davis just completes a few more passes to wide open receivers in first 3 qtrs, it would have loosened things up a bit.

Hate to say it so early, but this was my concern last August. And today, he looked like the same guy we saw last year. Enough talk about his swagger and it factor - what good is it (and how real is it) if you can't complete easy passes. No more talk about "going out with a bang", or FBS or NFL .. like you have somewhere better to be in 2020.

Try a little humilty. Try to become a reliable FCS QB in 2019. Let's stop talk about swagger and watch me be great. How about you just become pretty good first ???

Get back to basics in pass game or we're going to waste another potent roster and great defense. And since no one would acknowledge or deny the rumour of Davis leaving after 2019 "bang". I won't mind seeing the 2nd string QB if Davis goes into another funk. MIght as well start getting the next guy ready.

I'm tired of waiting for "it" to show up. Too much talk, not nearly enough walk ... prove yourself first.
Santa Cason
Sophomore

Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:14 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
StLRedbird wrote:
This !!! But if Davis just completes a few more passes to wide open receivers in first 3 qtrs, it would have loosened things up a bit.

Hate to say it so early, but this was my concern last August. And today, he looked like the same guy we saw last year. Enough talk about his swagger and it factor - what good is it (and how real is it) if you can't complete easy passes. No more talk about "going out with a bang", or FBS or NFL .. like you have somewhere better to be in 2020.

Try a little humilty. Try to become a reliable FCS QB in 2019. Let's stop talk about swagger and watch me be great. How about you just become pretty good first ???

Get back to basics in pass game or we're going to waste another potent roster and great defense. And since no one would acknowledge or deny the rumour of Davis leaving after 2019 "bang". I won't mind seeing the 2nd string QB if Davis goes into another funk. MIght as well start getting the next guy ready.

I'm tired of waiting for "it" to show up. Too much talk, not nearly enough walk ... prove yourself first.
Well said, Fourth.
fourthandshort
Senior

Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:15 pm

kudos to NIU defense, especially that run defense. That and QB play was the difference in game today. Theirs was ordinary, ours was bad. Robinson looked tired and defeated today. Their front 7 plugged every gap and Robinson never got past the line of scrimmage until that very late run. I think Spack knew we would struggle to run, but Davis couldn't loosen thinigs up in pass game.

Congrats to NIU.
ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:23 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
StLRedbird wrote:

:text-+1:
What is so confusing to me is that Davis's inaccurate throwing must not be happening in practice as any coaching staff would not have a starting qb that can not make the basic throws. Davis must choke a bit under pressure come game time as respects to throwing accurately? Agree if Davis can not make the game time passes then I too hope his future is short. He does everything well (throws to the right receiver, makes the throw at a good time, leads with poise..etc) except for being accurate. Will be interesting to see how long the coaches hang with Davis if he performs like he did tonight.
Redbirdwarrior
Junior

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:02 pm

How to beat Illinois State: put 7-8 in the box and make the passing game beat you.

NIU gameplanned extremely well.
grons
Freshman

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:39 pm

Disappointing drive back form Dekalb....my phone is lit up with friends that went to NIU.

Some thoughts:

NIU was basically a top 10 RUN D last year. I think a lot of people (including myself) put a lot of stock in the stud DE's leaving. The interior of that D-line was scary tonight. I fully expect this NIU team to win their MAC division and have another sound Run D.

Brady's footwork was finnicky all night. He made a few throws (that TD to Grimes comes to mind), but he was not great tonight.

I think the play calling was all off. We had our smaller wr's running deep routes, deep hitches, posts, etc. Then any short routes we ran were "cute" screens. We need more ins, outs, slants. Now I get that Brady short armed most of these, but he's being pressured, it's raining, and he's not hitting the throws. Make the adjustment. Keep the fly to Grimes, but mix up the rest, get the TE more involved, more slants to kacper, proctor, haley. Genuinely curious why our 6"4 guys aren't getting reps - Rogers and Blackman?

Get GILLIUM the ball. He had 1? target for a 10 yard catch. I saw him with 1 on 1 coverage for much of the night. I would have started looking at him more in the middle of the field. I would have also tried a few backside seams to let him make a play against a LB or undersized S.

The O-line struggled to get any push. Every run was a 1-2 yard gain or a complete loss. It was brutal. I think this line and Robinson will dominate some teams this year, but tonight they got exposed by a better D-line.

D looks good. They were on the field a lot and wore down as the game went on. Respect to them for holding their own and doing enough to give us a shot at the W tonight.
Redbirds100
Freshman

Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:11 am

Was at the game, agree with everyones comments, there were too many play calls to run up the middle, when it was never working, two easier games coming, then Northern Arizona which could be a challenge, they have a hot playing QB....
fourthandshort
Senior

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:05 am

grons wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:39 pm
Disappointing drive back form Dekalb....my phone is lit up with friends that went to NIU.

Some thoughts:

NIU was basically a top 10 RUN D last year. I think a lot of people (including myself) put a lot of stock in the stud DE's leaving. The interior of that D-line was scary tonight. I fully expect this NIU team to win their MAC division and have another sound Run D.

Brady's footwork was finnicky all night. He made a few throws (that TD to Grimes comes to mind), but he was not great tonight.

I think the play calling was all off. We had our smaller wr's running deep routes, deep hitches, posts, etc. Then any short routes we ran were "cute" screens. We need more ins, outs, slants. Now I get that Brady short armed most of these, but he's being pressured, it's raining, and he's not hitting the throws. Make the adjustment. Keep the fly to Grimes, but mix up the rest, get the TE more involved, more slants to kacper, proctor, haley. Genuinely curious why our 6"4 guys aren't getting reps - Rogers and Blackman?

Get GILLIUM the ball. He had 1? target for a 10 yard catch. I saw him with 1 on 1 coverage for much of the night. I would have started looking at him more in the middle of the field. I would have also tried a few backside seams to let him make a play against a LB or undersized S.

The O-line struggled to get any push. Every run was a 1-2 yard gain or a complete loss. It was brutal. I think this line and Robinson will dominate some teams this year, but tonight they got exposed by a better D-line.

D looks good. They were on the field a lot and wore down as the game went on. Respect to them for holding their own and doing enough to give us a shot at the W tonight.
good post .. wasn't just their DL, but their LBers too. They wrapped up Robinson very well ... they know how to be in right place and how to finish tackles very well.

Even so with their run defense, their pass defense gave up some yards a year ago and they lost both CBs. We should have been able to throw some to loosen things up a little. But the more Davis missed wideopen receivers, the tighter the offesne got. He finally started connecting in 4th qtr and we were able to move the ball despit no run game.
RBFANTOO
Sophomore

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:11 am

fourthandshort wrote:
This says it all! Also, not a good night for the O Line. :(
Redbird Nation Rising