If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

ISU over NIU listed as a possible FCS over FBS upset

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

fourthandshort
Senior

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:31 am

worrked thru thru defensive stats and confirmed following

DL .. return 2 of 4 on DL ... already belabored they lost 2 stud DEs, but retained their top 3 DTs

LB .. returned all 3, but 1 just got injured (Lance Deveaux), so only 2 of 3 .. but have a decent one filling in who saw lot of action last year

DB ... return 2 of 4, both safeties back but both CBs are gone.

This just reaffirms previous comments . they will be very strong inside with the DTs, LBers, and Safeties all back. But not having those DEs and all that pressure, plus both new CBs ... we have to be ready to exploit that.

Their two safeties returning are both SRs and ranked 3rd and 7th in tackles. Their DTs are good size at 292 and 303 ... though ours are bigger, that is still big. We'll see how disruptive they are without those 2 DEs drawing all that attention a year ago.

But even more convinced looking at their tackes returning ... we have to mix things up and spread things out to keep their interior defense honest. They will be very hard to run on, if we get too run dependent like a year ago. Their new CBs are small and young.

edit ... several typos corrected above
Last edited by fourthandshort on Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!
Redbirdwarrior
Junior

Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:35 pm

public apology to Sportenwood for not replying about golf today . I dont get PMs on my phone (just finding this out now). Find us in the tailgate lot around 330. We will be the ones with the crave case. 2 sliders and a beer on me.
Chi-bird
Junior

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:28 pm

Davis is 5-17

But.........it’s go time. I expect him to finish MUCH better. Let’s go!
Bdb5yp
Freshman

Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:57 am

NIU HUSKIE fan here! my friends in Huskienation wanted me to check in on Jon99 to make sure he’s not on suicide watch( don’t quit your day job little brother )..... On a good note You guys will be tough in the FCS this year. Run the table the rest of the way. Make us look good. Go Huskies, haha!!!!Go RedBirds!
fourthandshort
Senior

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:16 am

Bdb5yp wrote:
NIU HUSKIE fan here! my friends in Huskienation wanted me to check in on Jon99 to make sure he’s not on suicide watch( don’t quit your day job little brother )..... On a good note You guys will be tough in the FCS this year. Run the table the rest of the way. Make us look good. Go Huskies, haha!!!!Go RedBirds!
hey bdb5yp .. congrats on nice win. We knew your defense was good, but it was better than I thought .. particularly between the tackles. We had some chances in pass game but didn't take advantage. Better team won ... good luck the rest of way.

p.s. and yes, we realize jon is obviously an NIU troll with some ax to grind.
Redbirds100
Freshman

Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:30 am

What happen to the NIU board, saying they win by 50 points????? They barely won....
Bdb5yp
Freshman

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:00 am

Redbirds100 wrote:
What happen to the NIU board, saying they win by 50 points????? They barely won....
I would say we underestimated your defense, and we were breaking in a new offense/Quarterback and it showed especially in the first half. I forgot Romeo McKnight played for you guys. We recruited him heavily. We new our defense would show up.....
Last edited by Bdb5yp on Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
huskie123
Freshman

Redbirds100 wrote:
I think most NIU fans were expecting it to be close. The couple of fans who said they would win by 50 were doing so because of the Jon99 troll. Who had been on the NIU board in YEARS past to troll about ISU. I was always confused as to why he would be banned, then change names and come back again. NIU hadn't played ISU in the major two sports in almost two decades. He ended up getting his IP address completely banned from NIUDOGPOUND.com but seeing his posts here flared up some bad memories over there.
Bdb5yp
Freshman

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:03 am

fourthandshort wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:16 am
Bdb5yp wrote:
hey bdb5yp .. congrats on nice win. We knew your defense was good, but it was better than I thought .. particularly between the tackles. We had some chances in pass game but didn't take advantage. Better team won ... good luck the rest of way.

p.s. and yes, we realize jon is obviously an NIU troll with some ax to grind.
Jon99 must’ve gotten thrown out of a frat party at NIU and just won’t let it go. Hey if you creep out all the girls you have to go bro( NIU Golden rule)
fourthandshort
Senior

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:49 am

Bdb5yp wrote:
Redbirds100 wrote:
I would say we underestimated your defense, and we were breaking in a new offense/Quarterback and it showed especially in the first half. I forgot Romeo McKnight played for you guys. We recruited him heavily. We new our defense would show up.....
same here .. rain was also a factor in quality of offense played .. but I would say it affected both teams equally, since we're both defense and run oriented programs, with QBs who like to also throw it ... yours way outplayed ours and that was main difference in game, as good as your run defense was, we had chances in pass game and didn't make the throws.

But our defense is pretty deep and big, and strong at all 3 levels ... McKnight just happens to be the playmaker. I doubt you guys will face a front 7 as big as ours all year, even your FBS games. We aren't the fastest front 7, but we're very big and maintain gap discipline for most part better than most FCS teams. You eventuallly wore us down. But our anemic pass game did nothing to help our defense get some rest .. lot of 1.5 minute drives the first 3 qtrs put our defense back on field fast.

Good luck rest of the way ... from what we saw, your secondary probably needs some work, but you guys are just fine in front 7 .. even with losing those 2 stud DEs .. just going to get less sacks, but otherwise will reload well defensively IMO.
fourthandshort
Senior

Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:52 am

huskie123 wrote:
Redbirds100 wrote:
I think most NIU fans were expecting it to be close. The couple of fans who said they would win by 50 were doing so because of the Jon99 troll. Who had been on the NIU board in YEARS past to troll about ISU. I was always confused as to why he would be banned, then change names and come back again. NIU hadn't played ISU in the major two sports in almost two decades. He ended up getting his IP address completely banned from NIUDOGPOUND.com but seeing his posts here flared up some bad memories over there.
I dont think he has crossed way over the line, not enough to get booted from here since he is a Redbird fan ... I think .... but he is so obvious and can't seem to stop himself. We'll see if he continues to support football or goes away now that NIU game is over and we lost .. then we'll know for sure.

Good luck with rest of season.
Jon99
Freshman

Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:20 am

I think yesterdays game is a perfect example of why at some point we need to get to FBS football, even with us being FCS we can compete with the upper level MAC programs. If we make that leap we would quickly pass NIU as the #3 FBS program in the state, we would be recruiting the same players and are any of them going to choose spending 4 years in Dekalb over ISU? After spending about 8 hours on their campus yesterday I can see why their enrollment is tanking when I compare it to what we have going on at ISU, and football kids would see it too..

As far as my ax to grind with NIU, not really, but they are fun to troll and I laugh when I see how much they get bent out of shape by me.. They booted me off their board when I defended ISU when a few of their fans were ripping ISU, I said nothing inappropriate, just that ISU is the better school and that NIUs tanking enrollment not only proved that, but would eventually hurt their athletic program.. And with them only drawing 14500 fans yesterday and ISU brining about 1/3 of them, seems I was pretty spot on.
huskie123
Freshman

Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:25 pm

Jon99 wrote:

As far as my ax to grind with NIU, not really, but they are fun to troll and I laugh when I see how much they get bent out of shape by me.. They booted me off their board when I defended ISU when a few of their fans were ripping ISU, I said nothing inappropriate, just that ISU is the better school and that NIUs tanking enrollment not only proved that, but would eventually hurt their athletic program.. And with them only drawing 14500 fans yesterday and ISU brining about 1/3 of them, seems I was pretty spot on.
No, you are a grown man who makes multiple accounts to troll a college football message board. That's why NIU fans take issue with you. I've been a part of that board for over a decade, and we've had some real winners stop by and do their fair share of trolling. But you were the worst I've ever seen. You started out saying that you were a "Huskie fan", to only admit later that you were an ISU alumn. You would make threads on the MAC board just to bash NIU. You would interject in the middle of threads to change the topic about ISU sports. I don't think people here would appreciate me doing that to the Redbirds, but you seem to take pleasure in doing towards the Huskies.

It takes a lot to get banned over at the Dogpound. I've seen some crazies post for years before they even get warned. You are a troll that wanted to be fed. Thankfully we banned you from the buffet.
Last edited by huskie123 on Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stay Cool
Freshman

Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:47 pm

huskie123 wrote:
Jon99 wrote:

No, you are a grown man who makes multiple accounts to troll a college football message board. That's why NIU fans take issue with you. I've been a part of that board for over a decade, and we've had some real winners stop by and do their fair share of trolling. But you were the worst I've ever seen. You started out saying that you were a "Huskie fan", to only admit later that you were an ISU alumn. You would make threads on the MAC board just to bash NIU. You would interject in the middle of threads to change the topic about ISU sports. I don't think people hear would appreciate me doing that to the Redbirds, but you seem to take pleasure in doing towards the Huskies.

It takes a lot to get banned over at the Dogpound. I've seen some crazies post for years before they even get warned. You are a troll that wanted to be fed. Thankfully we banned you from the buffet.
Just remember, we're guests in this house and we should act with class

Ill St folks, you guys have a hell of a defensive team. I'd love if our two schools decided to make this a regular thing, it was obviously a hit (they only reported 14.5k attendance, but it looked way more packed to me. Our athletics department has a habit of not giving a damn about accurate attendance measurements and it shows) and I could definitely see a benefit for both schools doing so. Slap a trophy on it, and it makes for a hell of a natural rivalry. And for the record, I'd love to have y'all in the MAC!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jon99
Freshman

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:47 pm

huskie123 wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:25 pm
Jon99 wrote:

No, you are a grown man who makes multiple accounts to troll a college football message board. That's why NIU fans take issue with you. I've been a part of that board for over a decade, and we've had some real winners stop by and do their fair share of trolling. But you were the worst I've ever seen. You started out saying that you were a "Huskie fan", to only admit later that you were an ISU alumn. You would make threads on the MAC board just to bash NIU. You would interject in the middle of threads to change the topic about ISU sports. I don't think people hear would appreciate me doing that to the Redbirds, but you seem to take pleasure in doing towards the Huskies.

You guys were blasting ISU and I popped in there to make a few points, basically that ISU is the superior university, I said nothing that wasn't true and never made it personal.. sorry the truth hurt.. And nothing I saw yesterday changed my opinion, crappy town, horrible campus, maybe 10K NIU fans there for season opener against an instate opponent. Its quite easy to see why NIU's enrollment is down 40%, but you guys over there go ahead and keep looking down at ISU while we continue to excel.

Yesterdays score was 24-10 so congrats on the win.. But the score I see as an ISU alum is this: I am a high school guidance counselor at a SW suburban high school, from our Class of 2019 we sent 72 kids to ISU, 3 went to NIU . That 72-3 score is the one I am most proud of as an ISU alum.
goredbirds
Freshman

Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:06 pm

Stay Cool wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:47 pm
huskie123 wrote:
Jon99 wrote:

Ill St folks, you guys have a hell of a defensive team. I'd love if our two schools decided to make this a regular thing, it was obviously a hit (they only reported 14.5k attendance, but it looked way more packed to me. Our athletics department has a habit of not giving a damn about accurate attendance measurements and it shows) and I could definitely see a benefit for both schools doing so. Slap a trophy on it, and it makes for a hell of a natural rivalry. And for the record, I'd love to have y'all in the MAC!

There are ISU fans who would like to be in the MAC or another FBS conference. I'm not one of them. No offense to NIU, but the cards are so stacked against non-Power 5 team making a big splash in the college football world, I don't see the value to ISU joining the MAC, or Conference USA, or the American (not that I am under any illusions that the American would have any interest in us unless Houston and Cincinnati bolted for the green pastures of the Big 12). More to the point, a ton of money to jump to the FBS would probably lead to 20 out of 25 season of a school record somewhere between 4-8 and 8-4, and the most successful season one can imagine might (a long shot, truly) get a school the recognition for a few years that UCF currently enjoys, or Boise State enjoyed a couple years back. But, it is more likely that the few and far between "high point years" in the FBS would mean a birth against another non-Power 5 school in a bowl game that nobody cares about (e.g., Camelia Bowl). NIU really pissed the Power 5 off with its Orange Bowl birth a few year's back, and now the best case scenario for a non-Power 5 is a Cotton Bowl birth - and that is probably not going to happen. I would just as soon follow ISU each season against the likes of Indiana State and Northern Iowa as I would against the likes of Eastern Michigan and Toledo, and playing NIU is no more thrilling to me than playing WIU, SIU, and EIU (who we play every year, and probably would stop playing every year if we moved up). Being in the FCS playoffs regularly and winning it some day are more fun than that an occasional birth in the Camelia Bowl versus South Alabama or Troy or some other school who I don't care about. So, although it is kind of you to want ISU in the MAC - methinks ISU has no aspiration to join.
Stay Cool
Freshman

Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:32 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
huskie123 wrote:
Redbirds100 wrote:
I dont think he has crossed way over the line, not enough to get booted from here since he is a Redbird fan ... I think .... but he is so obvious and can't seem to stop himself. We'll see if he continues to support football or goes away now that NIU game is over and we lost .. then we'll know for sure.

Good luck with rest of season.
He's still plenty obsessed, this was brought to my attention from our home board. Again, I like y'all over here and I just don't want to see another board go down the drain. He's a well-documented unstable individual who derails most conversations with bashing NIU.

https://www.utehub.com/forums/topic/niu ... ek-honors/

Not sure why he uses the same username ending in multiple places, but that's his prerogative. IP's match, it's him.
Jon99 wrote:I think yesterdays game is a perfect example of why at some point we need to get to FBS football, even with us being FCS we can compete with the upper level MAC programs. If we make that leap we would quickly pass NIU as the #3 FBS program in the state, we would be recruiting the same players and are any of them going to choose spending 4 years in Dekalb over ISU? After spending about 8 hours on their campus yesterday I can see why their enrollment is tanking when I compare it to what we have going on at ISU, and football kids would see it too..

Kid, you NEED to let this grudge die. It's just... sad at this point.

huskie123
Freshman

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:29 pm

So NIU plays Utah this week. Some NIU fans headed over to the Utes message board and what do we find? A member named JonUtah99......bashing NIU. Check out the attachment......

Jon, what school in the south suburbs do you work at? I would like to know as I live in the south burbs and have children in a school district down here.
Attachments
Utah.png
Utah.png (11.03 KiB) Viewed 910 times
Jon99
Freshman

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:11 pm

I truly enjoy laughing at you guys, good stuff watching ya'll get so bent out of shape over something said on a message board. And like I said, I made no personal attacks, just presented facts and that hurt your feelings because for some reason you guys consider NIU a destination school even though enrollment has dropped about 40%.. so I guess keep on with the ISU jokes if that makes you feel better, but we all know that football is the only area NIU tops ISU, and even that difference is quite small. In all other areas, ISU is much better but that's a topic you will ignore.
fourthandshort
Senior

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:15 pm

jon .. several questions come to mind:

1. how do you plead to the charge being jonutah99 ??

2. You do realize how obvious your motives are, and you;re just being rediculously obvious on purpose .. right, I hope ??

3. you mentioned you're a HS guidance counselor at a HS where your HS students choose ISU over NIU at a rate of 30 to 1. So do you play a role in guiding them thru the college selection process ? If so, the numbers are not very surprising. I wonder how the students and their parents or your boss would feel about the objectivity of your guidance if they knew you ran around the country fan forums trolling NIU. I wonder if NIU could take action against you for disparaging their school in your role as guidance counselor .... that question is for anyone with legal background ???

4. Very curious ... would you go as far as to convert to mormon faith just for this week's game ?? Now that would be impressive trolling move dude !!!