If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Two Deep Defense

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

Total Red
Sophomore

Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:52 pm

1st Team

J Fehrmann
E Lewan
N Ridgeway
E McKnight
SLB Clark
MLB Vandenburgh
WLB Mends
C Taylor
C Woods
S Kirk
S Uphoff

2nd Team

J Guhl
E Podkulski
N Powell
E Dinga
SLB Mason
MLB DeForest
WLB Washington
C I.Brown
C Jackson
S Jones
S Isbell
fourthandshort
Senior

Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:08 pm

Total Red wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:52 pm
1st Team

J Fehrmann
E Lewan
N Ridgeway
E McKnight
SLB Clark
MLB Vandenburgh
WLB Mends
C Taylor
C Woods
S Kirk
S Uphoff

2nd Team

J Guhl
E Podkulski
N Powell
E Dinga
SLB Mason
MLB DeForest
WLB Washington
C I.Brown
C Jackson
S Jones
S Isbell
So you have the New Mexico RS FR transfer LB Fehrmann (6'4" 225 lbs) moved into that hyrbrid LB/DE role ... and Iowa SR LB transfer Mends moving right into starting roles ... interesting. And then you put SR Deforest on bench, and move up SO Vandenburgh. Love that we can go big and bring part-time starter JR Podkulski (6'4" 295 ) in for short yardage along side SO DT Ridgeway (6'6" 325 lbs) .. and still have SO Lewan (6'7" 270 lbs) and JR McNight (6'4" 250 lbs) .... our DL is just so stacked and young .... think about what we did defensively with all RS FR and SO on our DL last year !!!!

Given what we lost with players leaving program, still like what we have coming back a lot ... plus plugging 2 new FBS guys into equation Fehrmann for Jason Harris and Mends for Deforest, with Vandenburgh taking over for Matthews.

This will be faster defense, and still big.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!
fourthandshort
Senior

Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:58 am

came across pantagraph article from couple weeks ago that I glossed over first time .. read it closer. Spack did offer some insight about Harris ... saying, we needed more production from that position. Then indentified a few candidates for the hybrid Jack spot.

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/colle ... 78a93.html

Harris had 26 tackles at the Redbirds' jack position, a hybrid end/linebacker. According to Spack, there are several players equipped to take Harris' snaps.

"We need to have more production there," said the ISU coach. "You may see Tuvone (Clark) at jack. Blake Fehrmann (a transfer from New Mexico) could play there as well or (Ryan) Guhl or Damien Jackson."
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!
TIMMY
Senior

Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:24 pm

In a 3-4 there's really not much difference between the Sam and the Jack. Sam plays strong side Jack plays weak. But all it takes is motion to change a formations strength. They might as well just call them Right OLB and Left OLB.

Run read: Both need to set the edge on a run to. Both need to keep shoulders square and run down runs away. Pass read: Both need to rush the QB or turn hips and cover depending on assignment.

It seems like there are some very good LB candidates both inside and out. I can't wait to see Mends finally get a chance to play. Lot's of tough breaks at Iowa.

Anyway like others have said spring can't get here soon enough. Can't even read the basketball negativity any more. A spring game get together might be fun????