If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Matt Hein leaving

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
Sanantoniobird
Freshman

Thu May 09, 2019 5:39 pm

If Jefferson gets his own thread, then Matt deserves one. He put in more work than most guys on the team, always kept his head high and never fricking quit! If he earned the love of some our favorite players not sure what the holdout was on this board. Most of you couldn’t play your old asses out of a paper bag (me included) but you still disparage a man that routinely left it out on the court.
You will be missed Matt! Took courage to stay without your homie here, and to put up with the negative Nancys who say they are fans of the team. It’s hard to play through the chatter. Brave guy who realized and didn’t squander the fact that he was living the dream of playing D-I basketball!
PurpleRedbird
Freshman

Thu May 09, 2019 5:56 pm

I agree. I know I will miss Matt and hope for nothing but the best for him.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

CaliRdBrd
Senior

Thu May 09, 2019 5:59 pm

Never said a bad word about him, but he’s a big boy playing D1 hoops in (what used to be a great conference). Unfortunately, it’s life.
Sanantoniobird
Freshman

Thu May 09, 2019 6:24 pm

The truth is, we probably all have said something bad about him at some point, but sadly he hasn’t been praised enough for the good things. He’s actually been the key playmaker or hero for us in more games than many scholarship players that have come through here.
If anything, his loss is devastating in that he could have helped bring any newer guys along that much faster, considering his significant in game experience against quality opponents. I’m sure he’ll be appreciated wherever he ends up.
BirdGrad2011
Freshman

Thu May 09, 2019 8:00 pm

Wish him all the best as he’s a great person and represented the student athlete life well.

With that said...this is division 1 hoops. He didn’t have the talent for this level. I will never question his effort the talent level just wasn’t there.
Formerly ISUBirds89
SoCalRedbird
Sophomore

Thu May 09, 2019 8:08 pm

Best of luck to Matt wherever he lands. As far as I'm concerned, he's a Redbird for life.

I always felt he was punching above his weight class, but he gets all my respect for showing zero fear in the league and in the face of criticism from our desperate fan base. He also did some things on the court that helped us win games. Given his ability level in relation to this year's weird circumstances, he gave us all he had and more.

And despite his family being able to afford college, his decision to give up his scholarship was pure class. It takes an incredibly mature, humble young man to step aside for the team's benefit. Athletes are competitive and ego-driven--most players would never consider such a move.

Thank you, Matt!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SgtHulka
Senior

Thu May 09, 2019 9:10 pm

Best of luck Matt. Will miss you grit and determination
HT59
Sophomore

Thu May 09, 2019 9:14 pm

SoCalRedbird wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:08 pm
Best of luck to Matt wherever he lands. As far as I'm concerned, he's a Redbird for life.

I always felt he was punching above his weight class, but he gets all my respect for showing zero fear in the league and in the face of criticism from our desperate fan base. He also did some things on the court that helped us win games. Given his ability level in relation to this year's weird circumstances, he gave us all he had and more.

And despite his family being able to afford college, his decision to give up his scholarship was pure class. It takes an incredibly mature, humble young man to step aside for the team's benefit. Athletes are competitive and ego-driven--most players would never consider such a move.

Thank you, Matt! :text-+1:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Redbird28
Sophomore

Fri May 10, 2019 8:22 am

Matt's one of the good ones. He will certainly be missed.

I'll always have fond memories of the game at Ole Miss when he saved the day.

Good luck wherever you land, Matt. I'm more than sure you will succeed at life.
Adunk33
Senior

Fri May 10, 2019 8:41 am

I'm all about a good kid, student, and high effort ball player. Matt brought all of those things to the program. Best of luck to Matt wherever he ends up. I have a feeling he'll get into coaching. I wouldn't be surprised if he and David reunite for one last ride at Southern Utah. I was excited about the idea of having another player use all 4 years of his eligibility here. It's pretty uncommon.
isuquinndog
Site Admin

Fri May 10, 2019 8:42 am

Matt is going to do amazing things after basketball and part of that is the education he has received from Illinois State University. Good luck Matt!
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!
DWRedbird
Sophomore

Fri May 10, 2019 8:51 am

I'm both surprised and not surprised by his leaving, but I can understand it. I thought the kid had tons of heart and hustle, and was a tremendous teammate and person. I'll definitely miss the Pres. Good luck Matt!
Bird Friend
Senior

Fri May 10, 2019 11:33 am

Best o' luck, Matt. Thanks for the memory of one of the most unlikely step-back threes I've ever seen.
DannyCooksey
Junior

Fri May 10, 2019 1:29 pm

By all accounts Matt Hein is a good person and he gave his all to this program and this University. I applaud him and wish him the best in his future.
ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Fri May 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Interesting the general support for Hein leaving as a grad transfer vs the backlash directed towards Hawkins/McIntosh when they were grad transferring . Bruninga comes back and has a solid year and he is likely the next grad transfer which could possible happen next year? Will also be interesting to see how that is perceived should it happen.
Last edited by ChiRedbirdfan on Fri May 10, 2019 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baltimore Bird
Sophomore

Fri May 10, 2019 2:07 pm

Very interesting indeed. Sorry to say, but the difference IMO is talent level of the player leaving.

I am sure Matt is a good guy based on all reports. I wish him the best as I do all Redbirds. I will find it interesting if he can contribute at a D1 school on the bball floor. If so, it will say a lot about our program to me. So far, I have not seen players do more and generally less at another school than they did here.
Redbirds and Cardinals, A Combination that Makes Sense! GO BIRDS!
Bird Friend
Senior

Fri May 10, 2019 2:41 pm

The difference is also where the program stood on the future. With MiKyle, the program had a legitimate chance to maintain a decent level of success. And, IIRC, he had publicly declared an intent to return. I think the board was under the misconception that Hawkins was leaving to pursue professional opportunities, not as a grad transfer. Suddenly, his leaving felt more betrayal than inevitable, the same as MM.

I'm reasonably certain no one on here thinks Matt was a key to the Birds ascending back to the top of the conference. Yes, his experience and leadership would be helpful, but he wasn't going to will us to the conference title.
Trey_Guidry4three
Sophomore

Fri May 10, 2019 3:51 pm

People are such hypocrites on here..... anyways I wish nothing but the best for Matt. Always have supported him
Humdinger
Senior

Fri May 10, 2019 4:02 pm

Trey_Guidry4three wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:51 pm
People are such hypocrites on here..... anyways I wish nothing but the best for Matt. Always have supported him
:handgestures-fingerscrossed: :angelic-little: :handgestures-fingerscrossed: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rofl: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-lmao: :laughing-lettersrofl: :happy-wavemulticolor:
kw34
Freshman

Fri May 10, 2019 7:06 pm

Best of luck Matt! You represented Illinois State very well and for that I thank you!

I'll never forget the Ole Miss game - that will be the lasting memory I have of you on the court. And being willing to give up your scholarship to land Fisher was the definition of selflessness. You were the ultimate team player.