If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

@ Missouri St - 3 pm - ESPN3

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
ISU FAN 1
Senior

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:03 pm

CaliRdBrd wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:57 pm
ricohill wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:59 pm
Looking at Muller's career and blown leads it seems to be this is more of a trend than I thought.

2012-13 -
- Northwestern - 10 point 2nd half lead - L 69-72
- Louisville - 8 pt halftime lead - L 66-69
- Wyoming - 19 pt lead 2nd half - L 81-67
- Wichita State - 10 pt lead with 6:41 left - L 68-67

2013-14
-Vermont - 18 pt 1st half lead - L 76-87
-Missouri State - 10 pt half time lead, 12 pt lead with 13 mins to go- L 70-78
-SIU - 2 pt lead with 29 secs - L 65-66

2014-15
-Utah State - 8 pt second half lead - L 55-60
-Indiana State - 3 pt lead with 3 to go - L 70-71
-UNI - 12 pt lead with 10 mins to go - L 53-54
- SIU - 2 pt lead with 1:37 to go - L 59-65
-UNI - MVC Tourney 14 pt halftime lead - L 60-69

2015-16
-Maryland - 5pt lead w 7 mins to go - L 66-77
- SIU - 12 point 2nd half lead - L 78-81
- Mo State - 6pt lead 46 seconds left in regulation - 4 pt lead 2 mins left in OT- L 81-84

2016-17
- Murray State 7 pt lead 3:23 to go (2PT lead 38 secs left)- L 70-73
-TCU - 7 pt second half lead - 1 pt lead w 2min to go - L 71-80
-Tulsa 7 pt lead with 5 mins to go - L 68-70
-San Fran - 4pt 2nd half lead - L 58-66

2017-18
Charleston Southern - 2pt lead w 1 min left - L 62-64
SIU - 14 pt lead with 7:50 to go - L 70-74

2018-19
Valpo - 10 pt lead 2 min - 6 pt lead 1 min - L 56-58
Mo State - Up5 with 13 secs left - L 65-66
It would be interesting to see the flipside of that...i.e. how many times we came from behind to win. My guess is that’s a much smaller sampling.
Or, how the other 350 coaches compare
bb fan
Senior

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:27 pm

Just saw it again on local news. For the 3rd time. The MSU player clearly, obviously double dribbled before he banked in the desparation bankshot.

We are two crazy, impossible shots out of first.
Redbird222
Sophomore

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:35 pm

bb fan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:24 pm
Lots of posts here. Sorry I am not doing a good job keeping up. Read some, saw somebody asked about what I think of our head coach.

As a coach, I neither love or hate HCDM. As a person I know him as a great guy. I felt the same way about Porter. I think he has learned a lot as an HC, And some hits and misses are the price we signed up to pay hiring a guy new to head coaching.

So, he has set a team record 28 wins. He had been named Valley COY. I think he has brought in some excellent recruits. I am not gonna flip out one way or another on Dan after another crazy impossible banked in shot to lose a game. BTW, I saw the play again just now. Whoever posted that there was a clear cut double dribble just before the shot was spot on.

Anyway, HCDM has never had a losing record. He has one of the best conference W-L record of any of our coaches He had a team that should gotten an at large just two years ago. So I am not ready to fire him. I really can't understand any scenario or grounds for that to happen. A handful of negative nellie / debbie downer folks on a message board is not going to get it done.

And those that keep trashing the Valley, fine. Again, a league just last year had a ff team. And a league with an excellent performance track record in the tourney. It does not change my mind that you have 5 conferences that control the NCAA to get whatever they want. Yep, like most conferences, they have artificially demoted us to a one bid league. So it goes. It was the way even before Wichita bolted. Even Creighton.

Today was AWFUL. Many things in my family room were tossed wildly around. This is crazy weird and sickening. But to read a few posters here, you think HCDM drew it up that way. Even the double dribble.

And folks, let's face it. This is not about Muller. Or today's game. It is about 2 decades of NOT making the tourney. I have asked you debbie downers who want to throw everybody out and burn the program down what is it that we could have done? Would have done? What have we done to cause the lack of bids. I got nothing, and neither have any of you, because when I have asked, it have been nothing but crickets. I hate that we have not danced this millenia. I am not giving up on our coaches, players or programs.

So anyway, I am honestly tired of hearing some of the drivel and diatribe here. That's the best I have now, Not sure when I can read or post again. Have a great evening.
Great post and you are correct ... much of the out pour is about 2 decades of frustration.

Yesterday was disappointing by all accounts. I would have saved the timeout but Dan decided to draw up an inbound play. MY was open and MC hesitated. I am not blaming the coach.

Maybe Dan called timeout because of the game against Wichita (Jackie kick game) where we blew an inbound play to Johnny Hill to help spur the Wichita comeback. 1st year coach may have been greatly influenced by that play .... maybe a lasting impression. Don't know and pure speculation on my part.

We could list about a half dozen plays that could have changed the outcome (I am sure Dana would have a list for MSU too), I still can't believe in the midst of chaos he banked a half court shot. Still shaking my head.

I will be at the remainder of home games and St. LOUIS and as always hoping for the best.
Redbird222
Sophomore

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:45 pm

stats wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:52 am
Redbirdwarrior wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:13 am
Quick reminder that none of this really matters. True that we probably arent going to be lifting the MVC regular season trophy this year, but would any of you care if we did if it didn't mean going to the dance?

These games are practice for March. They just are at this point. We not know what NOT to do with a 2 point lead and the ball with 7 seconds left.

As it is, there is virtually no difference between team 1 and team 6 in the MVC. ISU will certainly be somewhere in that 6. So, I'm just like... meh.
I know I'm in the minority, but I feel winning the conference season proves more about your team than winning a 3 day tournament. I am also in the minority that feel like non-conference is practice getting you ready for conference. All that being said, I would rather make the tournament than win the league at this point.
I wish winning the league was an automatic bid and winning the tournament gave you an automatic play-in game to the tournament.
I dont share your feelings on the nonconference schedule but I agree that winning the regular season is significant. Also, if we finish 1- 3 in conference on a consistent basis , winning the MVC tournament should happen. The Richarson/Moser years were lean and we were not competitive. I personnally dont want to watch Thursday night caliber teams play day in and out.... talk about frustrating. Jank and Dan have fielded much more competitive teams. Going 0 for 6 in championship games and being one of the first teams out on 2017 has left Redbird fans (myself included) craving to return to the NCAA.
CaliRdBrd
Senior

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:59 pm

stats wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:52 am
Redbirdwarrior wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:13 am
Quick reminder that none of this really matters. True that we probably arent going to be lifting the MVC regular season trophy this year, but would any of you care if we did if it didn't mean going to the dance?

These games are practice for March. They just are at this point. We not know what NOT to do with a 2 point lead and the ball with 7 seconds left.

As it is, there is virtually no difference between team 1 and team 6 in the MVC. ISU will certainly be somewhere in that 6. So, I'm just like... meh.
I know I'm in the minority, but I feel winning the conference season proves more about your team than winning a 3 day tournament. I am also in the minority that feel like non-conference is practice getting you ready for conference. All that being said, I would rather make the tournament than win the league at this point.
I wish winning the league was an automatic bid and winning the tournament gave you an automatic play-in game to the tournament.
I’ve always thought the auto-bid should go to the regular season winner
ISU86
Freshman

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:50 pm

ricohill wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:44 am
Also, the point I didn't make is the best team we had at ISU was recruited by Dana. Now he beats us with left over players at MO State, what is going to happen when he starts recruiting his players?
Not saying Dana will or will not be a good coach; I like his chances, but the jury is still out.

If you throw out Dana's first year at Tennessee State (5-26) and this first year at Missouri State his winning percentage is .571 (and in his last two years there, when it was more of his own recruits, the Tigers were 32-28 overall (18-16 in (according to some on this board) a lesser (to the MVC) OVC conference).

If you discard Dan's first season (and the current season, in order to do a similar comparison to Dana) his overall winning percentage is .615 to Dana's .571 and his MVC conference percentage is .656 to Dana's OVC percentage of .580.

Not advocating one over the other, but it is not quite as clear cut as some would like to sell (specifically when you isolate in-conference results).
no matter where you go ... there you are
Bird Friend
Senior

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:54 pm

ISU FAN 1 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:23 pm
While I love what Chastain does, need more than 2 points from someone that gets 30 minutes of game time. He’s capable of more, and need him to look for his offense more, and bring another threat and balance to the offense.
I agree with you here.
Birdman07
Freshman

Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:21 pm

Dana isn't the answer either. The former assistant could be but he's already outgrown the MVC and he's not even a head coach yet.