If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

vs Valparaiso, 2/5, 7:00 PM, ESPN+

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
bb fan
Senior
Posts: 917
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 am

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:45 am

I didn't even know our program was in the "abyss". If so, the majority of college basketball is with us. But of course the spin by some here is that we are terrible.

Again this is about a league that had a ff just a year ago, twice in the last five years and a long streak of first round tourney wins. Sorry to bring up actual results instead of numbers engineered by the P5.
ISU FAN 1
Senior
Posts: 2377
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:45 am

TheTruth wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:12 am
ricohill wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:36 am
We also have posters that think everything the program does is excellent.
He thinks having expectations and holding people accountable is "putting the program down".
It’s his self proclaimed “pragmatist” view. Is there any other poster pushing a narrative more driven by positive ideals and emotion? That’s not pragmatism. Like I’ve said, zero self awareness.
ChiRedbirdfan
Senior
Posts: 1616
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:54 am

bb fan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:45 am
I didn't even know our program was in the "abyss". If so, the majority of college basketball is with us. But of course the spin by some here is that we are terrible.

Again this is about a league that had a ff just a year ago, twice in the last five years and a long streak of first round tourney wins. Sorry to bring up actual results instead of numbers engineered by the P5.
BB, if you believe the state of the MVC is strong as respects to historical relevance and where it is trending as respects to national relevance then you have both your blinders on and your head in the sand, IMO.
ISU FAN 1
Senior
Posts: 2377
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:00 am

ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:54 am
bb fan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:45 am
I didn't even know our program was in the "abyss". If so, the majority of college basketball is with us. But of course the spin by some here is that we are terrible.

Again this is about a league that had a ff just a year ago, twice in the last five years and a long streak of first round tourney wins. Sorry to bring up actual results instead of numbers engineered by the P5.
BB, if you believe the state of the MVC is strong as respects to historical relevance and where it is trending as respects to national relevance then you have both your blinders on and your head in the sand, IMO.
He would be lucky if his head were just in the sand.
User avatar
isuquinndog
Site Admin
Posts: 1348
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 pm
Location: Normal, IL
Contact:

Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:28 am

My point was the bar is moving. Now it's not enough to some to just make it. If we lose by 30 in the first round, it doesn't count.

That's BS. Get there. Then we can worry about the performance in the tournament. We aren't going to go from where we are to sustained Final Fours in one season. Unless Sister Jean starts rooting for us.
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!
User avatar
Bird Friend
Senior
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:05 pm

isuquinndog wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:28 am
My point was the bar is moving. Now it's not enough to some to just make it. If we lose by 30 in the first round, it doesn't count.

That's BS. Get there. Then we can worry about the performance in the tournament. We aren't going to go from where we are to sustained Final Fours in one season. Unless Sister Jean starts rooting for us.
:text-+1:
Image
User avatar
Redbird28
Sophomore
Posts: 291
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:26 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:09 pm

isuquinndog wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:28 am
My point was the bar is moving. Now it's not enough to some to just make it. If we lose by 30 in the first round, it doesn't count.

That's BS. Get there. Then we can worry about the performance in the tournament. We aren't going to go from where we are to sustained Final Fours in one season. Unless Sister Jean starts rooting for us.
Illinois fans are notorious for this type of behavior within any particular given season. The bar constantly adjusts. Example: They beat Michigan State and now all the sudden an 8-15 team should win the Big Ten Tournament. That's how fast the expectation switch flips in Urbana. It's nuts.
ISU FAN 1
Senior
Posts: 2377
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:15 pm

isuquinndog wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:28 am
My point was the bar is moving. Now it's not enough to some to just make it. If we lose by 30 in the first round, it doesn't count.

That's BS. Get there. Then we can worry about the performance in the tournament. We aren't going to go from where we are to sustained Final Fours in one season. Unless Sister Jean starts rooting for us.
:text-+1:
I would love to get drubbed in the NCAA at this point. I didn’t think we stood much of a shot versus Michigan under Bender. We have to be in it to win it
ChiRedbirdfan
Senior
Posts: 1616
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:36 pm

ISU FAN 1 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:15 pm
isuquinndog wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:28 am
My point was the bar is moving. Now it's not enough to some to just make it. If we lose by 30 in the first round, it doesn't count.

That's BS. Get there. Then we can worry about the performance in the tournament. We aren't going to go from where we are to sustained Final Fours in one season. Unless Sister Jean starts rooting for us.
:text-+1:
I would love to get drubbed in the NCAA at this point. I didn’t think we stood much of a shot versus Michigan under Bender. We have to be in it to win it
:text-+1: Even a bad bad drubbing is better than a no opportunity to be drubbed
SgtHulka
Senior
Posts: 1315
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:53 pm

ISU FAN 1 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:15 pm
isuquinndog wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:28 am
My point was the bar is moving. Now it's not enough to some to just make it. If we lose by 30 in the first round, it doesn't count.

That's BS. Get there. Then we can worry about the performance in the tournament. We aren't going to go from where we are to sustained Final Fours in one season. Unless Sister Jean starts rooting for us.
:text-+1:
I would love to get drubbed in the NCAA at this point. I didn’t think we stood much of a shot versus Michigan under Bender. We have to be in it to win it
:clap: :clap: :clap:
gobirds85
Junior
Posts: 560
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:06 pm

ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:54 am
bb fan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:45 am
I didn't even know our program was in the "abyss". If so, the majority of college basketball is with us. But of course the spin by some here is that we are terrible.

Again this is about a league that had a ff just a year ago, twice in the last five years and a long streak of first round tourney wins. Sorry to bring up actual results instead of numbers engineered by the P5.
BB, if you believe the state of the MVC is strong as respects to historical relevance and where it is trending as respects to national relevance then you have both your blinders on and your head in the sand, IMO.
BB doesn’t like facts when they do not agree with his way of thinking. The non-con for this conference sucked ass. Last year’s miracle run by Loyola means squat this year. If Loyola wins the season and tourney the valley will receive 0.00 at large bids to the big dance and we will be shut out again from the NIT. Yes, facts matter. This is the worse the conference has been in years. If you are happy with this, then congrats as mediocrity here not only continues but is welcome.

I want more for ISU. Sorry.
bb fan
Senior
Posts: 917
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 am

Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:17 pm

I am all about facts, gobirds85. That is all I have posted. Stuff that has actually happened. Very recently. I am replying to posts with extrapulated numbers and how these posters choose to evaluate them. That's all. We heard very much the same evaluations last year, saying the league is bad. I am providing actual, factual results. I make no apologies if providing factual historical happens to show ISU or the Valley in a decent light.

Let me just say what I absolutely think about the current state of our Men's basketball program. There are a few posters here that think I am too positive, I do not have a realistic view of what's going on simply because I have presented facts, not snarky comments and slams to our players and coaches and the overall state of Redbird Basketball.

I do not think our program or athletics is a "dumpster fire", or "hot mess". Or is in some sort of "abyss". I don't think any of our players is "garbage", or "that crap should get off the floor". I could go on with things a few posters have said, but I think you get the point. We have a lot of work to do. We miss things, and screw up sometimes. There is a lot we do right. But it seems we have 4 or 5 posters that are totally in this self loathing mode and want to crap on anything and everything.

One thing I know about this site, and many like this is that potential student athletes and their folks do check out forums like Redbirdfan.net, I will continue to try to be part of some sort even keeled tenor going here. I find it sad, and disappointing that some choose to post the way they do. But I will continue to post the way I do.
ISU FAN 1
Senior
Posts: 2377
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:35 pm

bb fan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:17 pm
I am all about facts, gobirds85. That is all I have posted. Stuff that has actually happened. Very recently. I am replying to posts with extrapulated numbers and how these posters choose to evaluate them. That's all. We heard very much the same evaluations last year, saying the league is bad. I am providing actual, factual results. I make no apologies if providing factual historical happens to show ISU or the Valley in a decent light.

Let me just say what I absolutely think about the current state of our Men's basketball program. There are a few posters here that think I am too positive, I do not have a realistic view of what's going on simply because I have presented facts, not snarky comments and slams to our players and coaches and the overall state of Redbird Basketball.

I do not think our program or athletics is a "dumpster fire", or "hot mess". Or is in some sort of "abyss". I don't think any of our players is "garbage", or "that crap should get off the floor". I could go on with things a few posters have said, but I think you get the point. We have a lot of work to do. We miss things, and screw up sometimes. There is a lot we do right. But it seems we have 4 or 5 posters that are totally in this self loathing mode and want to crap on anything and everything.

One thing I know about this site, and many like this is that potential student athletes and their folks do check out forums like Redbirdfan.net, I will continue to try to be part of some sort even keeled tenor going here. I find it sad, and disappointing that some choose to post the way they do. But I will continue to post the way I do.
Here’s a fact. It’s spelled extrapolated.
RedbirdSoxFan
Junior
Posts: 690
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:12 pm

Anyone know why Dan held Rey out of the game when he pulled Milik? Smits scores like 8 straight points with Chastain guarding him.
Please, no “Dan’s a horrible coach” answer please.
gobirds85
Junior
Posts: 560
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:21 pm

bb fan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:17 pm
I am all about facts, gobirds85. That is all I have posted. Stuff that has actually happened. Very recently. I am replying to posts with extrapulated numbers and how these posters choose to evaluate them. That's all. We heard very much the same evaluations last year, saying the league is bad. I am providing actual, factual results. I make no apologies if providing factual historical happens to show ISU or the Valley in a decent light.

Let me just say what I absolutely think about the current state of our Men's basketball program. There are a few posters here that think I am too positive, I do not have a realistic view of what's going on simply because I have presented facts, not snarky comments and slams to our players and coaches and the overall state of Redbird Basketball.

I do not think our program or athletics is a "dumpster fire", or "hot mess". Or is in some sort of "abyss". I don't think any of our players is "garbage", or "that crap should get off the floor". I could go on with things a few posters have said, but I think you get the point. We have a lot of work to do. We miss things, and screw up sometimes. There is a lot we do right. But it seems we have 4 or 5 posters that are totally in this self loathing mode and want to crap on anything and everything.

One thing I know about this site, and many like this is that potential student athletes and their folks do check out forums like Redbirdfan.net, I will continue to try to be part of some sort even keeled tenor going here. I find it sad, and disappointing that some choose to post the way they do. But I will continue to post the way I do.
So you are OK with the valley being the 16th best conference in America? You accept our quad 1 and 2 record this season? Just asking a rhetorical question.
bb fan
Senior
Posts: 917
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 am

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:32 pm

I am OK with having a team in the most recent final four Gobirds85. That is something 28 conferences could not say. Even though these numbers were not pretty last year as well. And some of you made that painfully clear last season as well. We shall see what happens. But I am gonna at least wait and see actual results, if this is ok with you. Since it this has been so accurate in the past.
Again, the 2nd final four in the last 5 years. A stellar first round tourney performance. The P5's have spun all the numbers since 2006.

And maybe this will be the very rare year we will be one and done in the tourney. They way some posters here post, I am sure they will be chomping at the bit for that to happen. And it may happen. I will go with actual results and history.

And really, is it such an awful thing to hope for the best? To post about the actual, positive results. Yeah, some of you are already putting us down if we make the NCAA tourney. Sorry sir, but that STINKS. As others have posted, I am all for it.
Last edited by bb fan on Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SgtHulka
Senior
Posts: 1315
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:36 pm

RedbirdSoxFan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:12 pm
Anyone know why Dan held Rey out of the game when he pulled Milik? Smits scores like 8 straight points with Chastain guarding him.
Please, no “Dan’s a horrible coach” answer please.
Never heard anything post game but wondered the same. Maybe he decided it was over or was going with the top effort providers?
DWRedbird
Sophomore
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:37 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:59 pm

SgtHulka wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:36 pm
RedbirdSoxFan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:12 pm
Anyone know why Dan held Rey out of the game when he pulled Milik? Smits scores like 8 straight points with Chastain guarding him.
Please, no “Dan’s a horrible coach” answer please.
Never heard anything post game but wondered the same. Maybe he decided it was over or was going with the top effort providers?
I wondered why he didnt put him back in at the end as well. Only thing I could think of is that Smits abused Rey in 3 straight possessions, shortly before he left the floor for the last time. I'd have still given him a shot towards the end though.
DoubleDeuce
Sophomore
Posts: 463
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:46 am

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:06 pm

Believing Muller is the right coach to lead ISU to the promised land (perennial contenders for NCAA bids) is NOT the same as being content with mediocrity. It maybe a misguided belief, but I wish posters would quit equating it with settling on mediocrity. It's a cheap way of framing people who disagree with you. Those who want to move on from Dan have a legit beef and solid arguments but don't equate my belief with settling... it's just not true.
gobirds85
Junior
Posts: 560
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:54 pm

Just to clarify my position on this season. Success will only be achieved by getting into the big dance. I would love to see us a win a game or two, but if we get beat in the first round...so be it. That’s where I set the bar. If we can’t make the tourney in this year’s poor excuse of a conference then changes need to be made. Muller and Lyons need to be jettisoned but as we know, the $$$ involved might preclude us from making this happen.
Post Reply