If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

vs Valparaiso, 2/5, 7:00 PM, ESPN+

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
SgtHulka
Senior
Posts: 1070
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:52 pm

TheTruth wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:28 pm
Sadly, this is probably the year the Redbirds break the NCAA drought......... if only because this year whoever is the MVC tourney champ is woefully ill-equipped to compete on a national level.
Don't care if it's this group that makes it. We need to get off the NCAA schneid. Right now, every season has the last 20 riding on its shoulders. I will jump for joy if this bunch of misfits ends that rut


anyone hopeful to see the end of the HCDM Regime should be clamoring for this. Anyone not should be as well
Only ISU Chess Club can take ISU Basketball where it needs to go
Image
ISU FAN 1
Senior
Posts: 1820
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:56 pm

DaveBird10 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:08 pm
Imo the problem with this team is fans hear analysis say on tv imo "illinois state is the most talented team in the mvc." We might be but just bc you're talented doesn't go into winning. This team lacks leadership, I've been saying it all year. Phil and Key were on the team from 2 years ago. They saw leadership but that hasn't translated to them. To hear muller's comments and the players comments last night is very telling. Does this team have the want to, the maturity, the effort, to get to where they could go? Idk bc here it is February and Muller is still coaching up the same things to these kids he was last year. Mullet hasn't changed as a coach in the last 2 years. He's the same guy who motivated PLEE and so on. Sometimes with 18-23 year old kids it falls between the ears.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
What makes you think PLee needed motivation from external sources? I think that’s what many are implying as Dan’s shortcoming. That he can’t motivate those who need that external motivation.
DaveBird10
Freshman
Posts: 152
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:05 am

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:49 pm

ISU FAN 1 wrote:
DaveBird10 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:08 pm
Imo the problem with this team is fans hear analysis say on tv imo "illinois state is the most talented team in the mvc." We might be but just bc you're talented doesn't go into winning. This team lacks leadership, I've been saying it all year. Phil and Key were on the team from 2 years ago. They saw leadership but that hasn't translated to them. To hear muller's comments and the players comments last night is very telling. Does this team have the want to, the maturity, the effort, to get to where they could go? Idk bc here it is February and Muller is still coaching up the same things to these kids he was last year. Mullet hasn't changed as a coach in the last 2 years. He's the same guy who motivated PLEE and so on. Sometimes with 18-23 year old kids it falls between the ears.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
What makes you think PLee needed motivation from external sources? I think that’s what many are implying as Dan’s shortcoming. That he can’t motivate those who need that external motivation.
Bc I believe PLEE got benched his junior year or so. There was a story that PLEE went home to his mom and his mom said listen to HCDM he's looking out for what's best for you. He also motivated Hawkins his last year here. Dan can motivate and has. This group just doesn't get it imo like Dan said due to immaturity, lack of leadership and so on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

bb fan
Senior
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 am

Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:01 pm

Accurate stuff DaveBird.
gobirds85
Sophomore
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:47 pm

bb fan wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:45 pm
Some folks here slamming the Valley. Just like last year. The world was ending without Wichita. Deja vu all over again.
Question...do you believe Loyola 18/19 is as good as Loyola 17/18? Answer..,no way in h*ll.

The valley is the 16th highest rated conference. Have we ever been that low? How many quad 1 and 2 wins do valley teams have this year?

The valley sucks this year. It’s not debatable. The conference tourney winner will be fortunate to get a 14 seed and will get crushed in the first round. Worst year I can remember.
CaliRdBrd
Senior
Posts: 911
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:01 pm

SgtHulka wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:52 pm
TheTruth wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:28 pm
Sadly, this is probably the year the Redbirds break the NCAA drought......... if only because this year whoever is the MVC tourney champ is woefully ill-equipped to compete on a national level.
Don't care if it's this group that makes it. We need to get off the NCAA schneid. Right now, every season has the last 20 riding on its shoulders. I will jump for joy if this bunch of misfits ends that rut


anyone hopeful to see the end of the HCDM Regime should be clamoring for this. Anyone not should be as well
Just getting there may appease some, but it hardly says anything if we're a 15 seed and get smoked by 30. If you want to take steps to build a program you need at least one win, maybe two.
ricohill
Senior
Posts: 827
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:00 pm

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:28 pm

gobirds85 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:47 pm
bb fan wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:45 pm
Some folks here slamming the Valley. Just like last year. The world was ending without Wichita. Deja vu all over again.
Question...do you believe Loyola 18/19 is as good as Loyola 17/18? Answer..,no way in h*ll.

The valley is the 16th highest rated conference. Have we ever been that low? How many quad 1 and 2 wins do valley teams have this year?

The valley sucks this year. It’s not debatable. The conference tourney winner will be fortunate to get a 14 seed and will get crushed in the first round. Worst year I can remember.
0-16 vs Q 1 and 6-35 vs q1 and 2. Have a losing record against q1, 2, and 3. Only have a winning record vs quad 4 teams.
ISU FAN 1
Senior
Posts: 1820
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:44 pm

DaveBird10 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:49 pm
ISU FAN 1 wrote:
DaveBird10 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:08 pm
Imo the problem with this team is fans hear analysis say on tv imo "illinois state is the most talented team in the mvc." We might be but just bc you're talented doesn't go into winning. This team lacks leadership, I've been saying it all year. Phil and Key were on the team from 2 years ago. They saw leadership but that hasn't translated to them. To hear muller's comments and the players comments last night is very telling. Does this team have the want to, the maturity, the effort, to get to where they could go? Idk bc here it is February and Muller is still coaching up the same things to these kids he was last year. Mullet hasn't changed as a coach in the last 2 years. He's the same guy who motivated PLEE and so on. Sometimes with 18-23 year old kids it falls between the ears.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
What makes you think PLee needed motivation from external sources? I think that’s what many are implying as Dan’s shortcoming. That he can’t motivate those who need that external motivation.
Bc I believe PLEE got benched his junior year or so. There was a story that PLEE went home to his mom and his mom said listen to HCDM he's looking out for what's best for you. He also motivated Hawkins his last year here. Dan can motivate and has. This group just doesn't get it imo like Dan said due to immaturity, lack of leadership and so on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Sounds like PLee’s mom motivated. Per your account, all Dan did was make him want to quit. I never viewed PLee as lacking in motivation. I would agree that Hawkins benefitted from external motivation.
gobirds85
Sophomore
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:45 pm

ricohill wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:28 pm
gobirds85 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:47 pm
bb fan wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:45 pm
Some folks here slamming the Valley. Just like last year. The world was ending without Wichita. Deja vu all over again.
Question...do you believe Loyola 18/19 is as good as Loyola 17/18? Answer..,no way in h*ll.

The valley is the 16th highest rated conference. Have we ever been that low? How many quad 1 and 2 wins do valley teams have this year?

The valley sucks this year. It’s not debatable. The conference tourney winner will be fortunate to get a 14 seed and will get crushed in the first round. Worst year I can remember.
0-16 vs Q 1 and 6-35 vs q1 and 2. Have a losing record against q1, 2, and 3. Only have a winning record vs quad 4 teams.
Brutal.
SgtHulka
Senior
Posts: 1070
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:25 pm

CaliRdBrd wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:01 pm
SgtHulka wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:52 pm
TheTruth wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:28 pm
Sadly, this is probably the year the Redbirds break the NCAA drought......... if only because this year whoever is the MVC tourney champ is woefully ill-equipped to compete on a national level.
Don't care if it's this group that makes it. We need to get off the NCAA schneid. Right now, every season has the last 20 riding on its shoulders. I will jump for joy if this bunch of misfits ends that rut


anyone hopeful to see the end of the HCDM Regime should be clamoring for this. Anyone not should be as well
Just getting there may appease some, but it hardly says anything if we're a 15 seed and get smoked by 30. If you want to take steps to build a program you need at least one win, maybe two.
And what is step 1? Getting there. :roll:
Only ISU Chess Club can take ISU Basketball where it needs to go
Image
User avatar
isuquinndog
Site Admin
Posts: 1158
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 pm
Location: Normal, IL
Contact:

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:57 am

Yep, agree with @SgtHulka, you can't win games if you aren't at the party. Can't keep moving the goal posts. Every one just wanted to get the "it's been 20+ years" off of us. Now if we lose in the first round then that's not good enough.

Pulling a program up is not going to happen in one season.
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!
DoubleDeuce
Sophomore
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:46 am

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:05 am

isuquinndog wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:57 am
Yep, agree with @SgtHulka, you can't win games if you aren't at the party. Can't keep moving the goal posts. Every one just wanted to get the "it's been 20+ years" off of us. Now if we lose in the first round then that's not good enough.

Pulling a program up is not going to happen in one season.
Don't you understand making the NCAA tournament this year doesn't count because The Valley's ranking is low? The only way to make up for that is to make the Final Four. :icon-rolleyes:

Can't wait for this year's MVC Tourney...should be a good time in the Lou!
bb fan
Senior
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 am

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:27 am

We have a few posters here that will ALWAYS conjure up a way to put the program down. It is as simple as that. SMH.
ricohill
Senior
Posts: 827
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:00 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:36 am

bb fan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:27 am
We have a few posters here that will ALWAYS conjure up a way to put the program down. It is as simple as that. SMH.
We also have posters that think everything the program does is excellent.

It's been 20 years and heading towards 21 since it's played a game in the NCAA Tournament. The league is the worst it has ever been (the worst seed it has ever gotten is a 14 seed in 89, 90, and 93 and projected to be a 15 right now with the projected worst RPI of a MVC team ever to make it). We have a coach in his 7th year that hasn't made it to an NCAA Tournament.

I don't consider the program to be a model of success right now. You play to make the NCAA Tournament. That used to be the standard at ISU. No longer is ISU the "Home of Champions" in basketball.
CaliRdBrd
Senior
Posts: 911
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:10 am

bb fan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:27 am
We have a few posters here that will ALWAYS conjure up a way to put the program down. It is as simple as that. SMH.
So your content with an rpi hovering near 200, a possible 14 seed in the NCAA (if we make it), and a likely (and potentially horrible beat down) in a one and done scenario?

Man, the bar has been set so low for many of you.
TheTruth
Freshman
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:37 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:12 am

ricohill wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:36 am
We also have posters that think everything the program does is excellent.
He thinks having expectations and holding people accountable is "putting the program down".
When you have low expectations for Illinois State University, the history of its leadership looks much more palatable.
CaliRdBrd
Senior
Posts: 911
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:12 am

DaveBird10 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:49 pm
ISU FAN 1 wrote:
DaveBird10 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:08 pm
Imo the problem with this team is fans hear analysis say on tv imo "illinois state is the most talented team in the mvc." We might be but just bc you're talented doesn't go into winning. This team lacks leadership, I've been saying it all year. Phil and Key were on the team from 2 years ago. They saw leadership but that hasn't translated to them. To hear muller's comments and the players comments last night is very telling. Does this team have the want to, the maturity, the effort, to get to where they could go? Idk bc here it is February and Muller is still coaching up the same things to these kids he was last year. Mullet hasn't changed as a coach in the last 2 years. He's the same guy who motivated PLEE and so on. Sometimes with 18-23 year old kids it falls between the ears.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
What makes you think PLee needed motivation from external sources? I think that’s what many are implying as Dan’s shortcoming. That he can’t motivate those who need that external motivation.
Bc I believe PLEE got benched his junior year or so. There was a story that PLEE went home to his mom and his mom said listen to HCDM he's looking out for what's best for you. He also motivated Hawkins his last year here. Dan can motivate and has. This group just doesn't get it imo like Dan said due to immaturity, lack of leadership and so on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Quick, someone reach out to PLee’s mom. Seems she’s the only one that can inspire. God knows Muller can’t.
bb fan
Senior
Posts: 865
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 am

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:34 am

The bar will never be there for some posters.
CaliRdBrd
Senior
Posts: 911
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:39 am

bb fan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:34 am
The bar will never be there for some posters.
Did you ever stop and consider that sometimes what you seem to think as setting the bar unrealistically high may just be enough to force this program out of the abyss?
ricohill
Senior
Posts: 827
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:00 pm

Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:44 am

CaliRdBrd wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:39 am
bb fan wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:34 am
The bar will never be there for some posters.
Did you ever stop and consider that sometimes what you seem to think as setting the bar unrealistically high may just be enough to force this program out of the abyss?
Also, if the bar isn't making the NCAA Tournament then how low is the bar right now?
Post Reply