If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

vs UNI 1/8/19, 7 pm, NBC Chicago

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
stats
Sophomore
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:52 pm

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:16 pm

JHBird wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:27 am
If Bruniga sits this one out I'll be thinking a redshirt might be in store for him.
Have there been any recent redhshirts that ISU has benefited from getting a good 5th year from them. I'm sure there are, but I can't think of any.
DoubleDeuce
Sophomore
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:46 am

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:24 pm

stats wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:16 pm
JHBird wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:27 am
If Bruniga sits this one out I'll be thinking a redshirt might be in store for him.
Have there been any recent redhshirts that ISU has benefited from getting a good 5th year from them. I'm sure there are, but I can't think of any.
Last one I remember is Odiakosa.
User avatar
ISU86
Freshman
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:04 pm

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:28 pm

Panthers 53
Redbirds 57

4,554
no matter where you go ... there you are
MadBird
Junior
Posts: 567
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:50 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:51 pm

stats wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:16 pm
JHBird wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:27 am
If Bruniga sits this one out I'll be thinking a redshirt might be in store for him.
Have there been any recent redhshirts that ISU has benefited from getting a good 5th year from them. I'm sure there are, but I can't think of any.
Depends on what your definition of redshirt is -- didn't Hawkins and McIntosh "sit out a year", whether you call it a redshirt or something else?

Problem is, with HC Dan, no one sticks around 5 years!! :lol:
stats
Sophomore
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:52 pm

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:06 pm

MadBird wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:51 pm
stats wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:16 pm
JHBird wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:27 am
If Bruniga sits this one out I'll be thinking a redshirt might be in store for him.
Have there been any recent redhshirts that ISU has benefited from getting a good 5th year from them. I'm sure there are, but I can't think of any.
Depends on what your definition of redshirt is -- didn't Hawkins and McIntosh "sit out a year", whether you call it a redshirt or something else?

Problem is, with HC Dan, no one sticks around 5 years!! :lol:
So I guess my question should be when is the last time we redshirted a player and he used his final year to help ISU?
Birdman07
Freshman
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:33 am

Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:23 am

stats wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:06 pm
MadBird wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:51 pm
stats wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:16 pm


Have there been any recent redhshirts that ISU has benefited from getting a good 5th year from them. I'm sure there are, but I can't think of any.
Depends on what your definition of redshirt is -- didn't Hawkins and McIntosh "sit out a year", whether you call it a redshirt or something else?

Problem is, with HC Dan, no one sticks around 5 years!! :lol:
So I guess my question should be when is the last time we redshirted a player and he used his final year to help ISU?
Redshirt decisions shouldn't be made out of fear of a possible transfer.
DWRedbird
Sophomore
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:37 pm

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:27 am

Birdman07 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:23 am
stats wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:06 pm
MadBird wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:51 pm


Depends on what your definition of redshirt is -- didn't Hawkins and McIntosh "sit out a year", whether you call it a redshirt or something else?

Problem is, with HC Dan, no one sticks around 5 years!! :lol:
So I guess my question should be when is the last time we redshirted a player and he used his final year to help ISU?
Redshirt decisions shouldn't be made out of fear of a possible transfer.
I agree 100% with this. If a player wants to transfer they'll find a way to transfer no matter what.
DannyCooksey
Senior
Posts: 762
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:18 am

stats wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:06 pm
MadBird wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:51 pm
stats wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:16 pm


Have there been any recent redhshirts that ISU has benefited from getting a good 5th year from them. I'm sure there are, but I can't think of any.
Depends on what your definition of redshirt is -- didn't Hawkins and McIntosh "sit out a year", whether you call it a redshirt or something else?

Problem is, with HC Dan, no one sticks around 5 years!! :lol:
So I guess my question should be when is the last time we redshirted a player and he used his final year to help ISU?
Dinma
Birdman07
Freshman
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:33 am

Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:44 am

That decision has to be made with the player's best interests in mind regardless where he chooses to play his final season. You can't make that decision out of spite.
WoodlandWarrior
Sophomore
Posts: 394
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:55 pm

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:05 am

Neither Bruninga nor his family are the type of people who would transfer out. He will stay here for the remainder of his playing career.
stats
Sophomore
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:52 pm

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:10 am

We should always do what is in the best interest of the player. 10 to 15 years ago I always thought we should redshirt a player, when in doubt. He is going to be better between the ages of 19 to 23 then he would have between the ages of 18 to 22. I'm guessing we are probably 0 for our last 15 redshirts or so. Some of them are not talented enough to begin with, some just want to graduate while some use it as an opportunity to further their career elsewhere. I would like to see the grad transfer rule change or at least understand the current transfer rule right the way it is now. It seems like there are so many provisions, it has become a joke.

As far as what is best for Bruninga, I don't want to see him redshirt. I'm guessing he will graduate and be ready for the workforce in 2 and half years. The main reason is we could still have 20 plus games to play, let's get him back. More injuries could happen. It wasn't too long ago, we played a game with only 8 players, then another with 7.
Redbirds84
Freshman
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:58 pm

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:10 am

WoodlandWarrior wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:05 am
Neither Bruninga nor his family are the type of people who would transfer out. He will stay here for the remainder of his playing career.
You are absolutely correct on that. I don't think it's far-fetched that he could play a year of baseball once he's exhausted his basketball eligibility. He's a talented enough kid this could possibly happen if the new coach would take him.
User avatar
isuquinndog
Site Admin
Posts: 1489
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 pm
Location: Normal, IL
Contact:

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:10 am

But the player should have a say in if they are redshirted. If they are dead set against it and you do it anyway, they probably aren't going to stick around.
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!
Birdman07
Freshman
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:33 am

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:20 am

WoodlandWarrior wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:05 am
Neither Bruninga nor his family are the type of people who would transfer out. He will stay here for the remainder of his playing career.
This has absolutely nothing to do with the decision to redshirt him or not. If he cant play for the next several weeks then you just redshirt him regardless of whether you think he will transfer or not. If he transfers who cares? Name of the game.
RedbirdMan
Sophomore
Posts: 272
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:11 pm

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:28 am

This team and program make about as much sense to me as astrophysics anymore. Just win some games. I’m tired.

UNI-70
ISU-70

5,000
Adunk33
Senior
Posts: 2104
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:31 am

Adunk33 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:06 pm
cpacmel wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:26 pm
Illinois State -6

Over / under 134.5
UNDER
You guys must have listened... O/U down to 128.
birdlife
Sophomore
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:37 pm

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:28 pm

still taking the under @ 128?
JHBird
Senior
Posts: 774
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:37 pm

Redbirds84 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:10 am
WoodlandWarrior wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:05 am
Neither Bruninga nor his family are the type of people who would transfer out. He will stay here for the remainder of his playing career.
You are absolutely correct on that. I don't think it's far-fetched that he could play a year of baseball once he's exhausted his basketball eligibility. He's a talented enough kid this could possibly happen if the new coach would take him.
I heard he can throw 90+ mph. He definitely should look into that. Look at what Lexi Wallen is doing on the women's bball team this year after playing 4 years of volleyball. She's now starting!
Retire 12
Sophomore
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:54 pm

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:54 pm

I'd take the under at 128.

Just dug into some of the stats (I wont bore you), but Northern Iowa is the worst shooting team in the Valley on the season, and they play with the slowest tempo. They also don't generate turnovers or block shots. That doesn't translate well on the road.

I'd be shocked... ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED, if we weren't in zone greater than 90% of this game. If we play man other than to change it up after a timeout... then I'm really going to question this gameplan. This should be fairly simple.

Take care of the ball, limit second chance points, win by 8+.
Buffett
Sophomore
Posts: 218
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:34 am

Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:59 pm

When they torched Bradley at their Peoria they shot 45 % for FG for both 2 point and 3 point. you never know
Post Reply