If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Birds @ Loyola

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
Bird Friend
Senior

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:13 pm

Sladerunningbear wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:06 pm
Simpleton wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:19 pm
RBFANTOO wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:53 pm
He had a free run at the rim from 10 feet away, with nobody blocking out. He executed, which for this team, is sadly something special. An ESPN TOP 10 play? Another moral victory. Whoppee! I would rather start winning the road games we are choking away.
I wouldn't disagree with most of the points that you're making. I think Milik made the right call attempting the pass to Phil. It was his reaction running back and in the huddle that concerned me.

This game may decide our seeding come tournament time, but it is unlikely to decide the fate of our season. I see no reason not to use that moment as an opportunity to teach a hard lesson, assuming that's what Coach Muller was doing.
If you are going to teach him a lesson in the last minute with the game on the line, then also bench him the next 3 games so he has a chance to make the honor roll.
I don't believe he was teaching him a lesson. I believe he was removing a liability from the floor.

Metamoron
Sophomore

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:17 pm

Ding ding ding.

Redbirdfan06
Freshman

Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:58 pm

Sladerunningbear wrote:
Simpleton wrote:
RBFANTOO wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:53 pm
He had a free run at the rim from 10 feet away, with nobody blocking out. He executed, which for this team, is sadly something special. An ESPN TOP 10 play? Another moral victory. Whoppee! I would rather start winning the road games we are choking away.
I wouldn't disagree with most of the points that you're making. I think Milik made the right call attempting the pass to Phil. It was his reaction running back and in the huddle that concerned me.

This game may decide our seeding come tournament time, but it is unlikely to decide the fate of our season. I see no reason not to use that moment as an opportunity to teach a hard lesson, assuming that's what Coach Muller was doing.
If you are going to teach him a lesson in the last minute with the game on the line, then also bench him the next 3 games so he has a chance to make the honor roll.
He had 19 and 10 in today’s game. This team is built where he can’t miss games. Continue the teaching moments and hope he learns. That’s on DM.

V Boy
Junior

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:17 pm

Just watched game.

-Fayne was thoroughly dominated. Muller should have had Rey guard Krutwig in first half and tire him out. Then Fayne dominates in 2nd.

-Chastain is the beating heart of this team.

-Nice to see Evans back. Liked that he was taking it to hole. Still takes a lot of off balance 3s. Again, we have to value the ball. Possessions matter.

-Jefferson nice mins today.

-ISU guards defense on cuts was porous and nobody on ISU can guard Townes. Best player on the court and it’s not close.

-Yarbrough is who he is. A dynamic player but a turnover machine. We will never ever win unless he values the basketball more. He just doesn’t.

-Tinsley still working out of it. Looks like he had totally lost his confidence.

Flying_Redbird
Freshman

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:28 pm

First game attended this season and probably my last until Arch Madness. Some observations:
- We are really struggling without a true point guard. There was so much disparity between Loyola’s basic offensive sets and whatever the hell you want to call our offense. Too many times we’d have a screen come up for a dominant guard and have the ball go nowhere. Looks like another team that will live and die by the three-point line. Keyshawn’s shot looked better today.
- MY is by far the most talented player on the team, but get your head out of your ass, dude! It’s still early in conference play, but this ego battle between him and HCDM can’t last much longer. He will never make it to the NBA with that attitude. Screw up, keep your head up, move onto the next play. He kept us in it offensively and had a nice steal late in the second half, but his turnovers screamed shades of the Valpo game. Play like a damn, senior. *also, some obnoxious Loyola fans were toying with MY throughout the game, chanting “Hit and Run!” MY almost always responded with a bucket or made FT to silence them. If only he could keep his composure. HCDM did the right thing, regardless of talent level on the floor*
- Switch to the zone/press sooner! It obviously frustrated Loyola as they didn’t score a field goal in the last six-plus minutes. It’s effective and has proven to be effective in past seasons when played the right way. S/o P.Lee and TWills. Get these guys to buy defensively to make up for the lack of all-around talent and the offense/winning will take care of itself.
- Rebounding also improved, considering they were up against big ass Krutwig. Need to maintain that effort throughout the season. I’m glad Chastain is a Redbird. Dude can flat out jump out of the gym. I’m so concerned for his knees/legs though every time he takes off. What a put back dunk. Sure, another poster pointed out he did his job running in for the rebound unblocked, but who else do you see that effort from? Hell of a dunk, #22.
- Very decent showing from ISU fans, considering there wasn’t a visitor’s allotment. I’d say about 75% Loyola, 25 % Birds. Gentile was also an exciting atmosphere towards the end of the game and their in-arena staff has definitely improved. Three years ago, music was not nearly as loud and in-game entertainment was garbage. Baby race from today was hilarious. But LUC gets a thumbs down on student seating. If Ramblers athletics knew students were still on winter break, why not open at least a portion of the student section up to the general public? Would’ve filled hundreds of seats and pumped up the atmosphere.

I haven’t thrown hope away on the season. They’ve lost by a combined five points in the final seconds of both MVC losses. Get it together MY/HCDM and end this damn tournament drought before she hits her 21st birthday in March. Go ‘Birds.

Chi-bird
Sophomore

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:29 pm

Bird Friend wrote:
Sladerunningbear wrote:
Simpleton wrote:

I don't believe he was teaching him a lesson. I believe he was removing a liability from the floor.
This.

DWRedbird
Sophomore

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:34 pm

Bird Friend wrote:
Sladerunningbear wrote:
Simpleton wrote:

This is where I'm kind of leaning as well. I think if Yarbs stays on the floor he forces the next play and takes a bad shot, or causes a turnover. I'd have probably tried to get him on the floor for the last defensive play and the subsequent last shot on our end.

Some other thoughts:

--Good adjustments by Dan and the Staff at the half with defense. We looked 100% different different in the second half. Kudos

--Key looked like he got out of his head today and just played. I'm hoping this carries over the rest of the year

--I love Chastain in the lineup. Plays 100% all the time, and can absolutely leap out of the gym. His development here is going to be awesome.

--Were I the coaches, I'd play Rey a little more, even if it means playing him and Phil on the floor at the same time.

--We badly need a PG next year on both ends of the floor

Simpleton
Freshman

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:02 pm

Sladerunningbear wrote:
Yep, that's the logical next step!

Redbirdfan06
Freshman

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:45 pm

Simpleton wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:02 pm
Sladerunningbear wrote:
Yep, that's the logical next step!
No there is no logic to this step at this point.

CaliRdBrd
Senior

Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:19 pm

Saying that Yarbs will not make it to the NBA simply because of his head-butting, pouting (whatever you want to call it)...is ridiculous. This isn’t the days of Red Auerbach. In today’s game talent is all that matters.

I mean, for crying out loud, Lofton has a cup of coffee in the NBA...didn’t he?

SgtHulka
Senior

Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:59 pm

Only ISU Chess Club can take ISU Basketball where it needs to go

stats
Freshman

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:12 pm

V Boy wrote:
-Yarbrough is who he is. A dynamic player but a turnover machine. We will never ever win unless he values the basketball more. He just doesn’t.
You've heard of those shooter where they say. "There isn't a shot he didn't like."
For Milik...."There isn't a pass he doesn't like."

SoCalRedbird
Sophomore

Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:24 pm

Without Milik, we lose this game by 15.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Redbird222
Sophomore

Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:35 pm

Next time instead of benching him someone can do this instead

birdsflyhigh
Freshman

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:22 am

I'm in the camp of liking what the Birds showed today.....some grit with a good shot of knocking off the preseason MVC #1 on their court. 2 road losses by a total of 5 points (one of which was a fluke 3 pointer from crazyland). The Birds still get both Valpo and Loyola coming into RA for some serious payback.

IMHO think the Birds are turning the corner and the coming schedule could be good for setting ISU to go a major run, but they need to keep turning up it defensively, keep scrapping for every loose ball and seriously cut down on turnovers.

Awesome to see Keyshawn play with confidence today. Love the development of Ray and Matt. Plus Copeland keeps improving. MY and Fayne are the two that need to become rock solid consistent the entire rest of the season as the Birds are completely in this MVC race. Need to get all the oars rowing in the same direction and ISU is going to be very tough to beat.

Hopefully HC Muller and co. are scouting the JC ranks for a take charge PG and a difference maker big. Think the fans that are down on ISU are being a bit quick in their judgment as the team is getting better right before our eyes and the streak starts Tuesday against rival SIU.

Go get 'em Birds!! :banana-jumprope:

RedbirdFanatic32
Freshman

Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:49 am

SoCalRedbird wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:24 pm
Without Milik, we lose this game by 15.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sure. But IDK if we win with him....With him playing his absolute best, we still lose to the likes of UIC. He has to commit, along with everyone else, if we are going to win in St. Louis.

gobirds72
Freshman

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:41 am

CaliRdBrd wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:19 pm
Saying that Yarbs will not make it to the NBA simply because of his head-butting, pouting (whatever you want to call it)...is ridiculous. This isn’t the days of Red Auerbach. In today’s game talent is all that matters.

I mean, for crying out loud, Lofton has a cup of coffee in the NBA...didn’t he?
It’s obvious many watch nothing but Muller ball. Draymond Green reminds me a lot of Yarborough’s personality. Kevin Durant to an extent...but his offensive game is much better. Dan can’t get along with the head cases...and doesn’t know how to coach them. Of course it’s all their fault...so why does he even recruit them?

gobirds72
Freshman

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:46 am

Redbird222 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:35 pm
Next time instead of benching him someone can do this instead

What many don’t realize is that Yarborough turns it over because he is a threat. If Matt Hein scored 19, he would turn it over at least 5 times. How many touches would he need to get 19? I want to see Yarborough learn to control his emotions...and it’s going to probably have to be another coach to teach that. I would much rather have a passionate kid...than one that laughs everything off.

RBFANTOO
Freshman

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:11 am

V Boy wrote:
-Fayne was thoroughly dominated. Muller should have had Rey guard Krutwig in first half and tire him out. Then Fayne dominates in 2nd.

-Chastain is the beating heart of this team.

-Nice to see Evans back. Liked that he was taking it to hole. Still takes a lot of off balance 3s. Again, we have to value the ball. Possessions matter.

-Jefferson nice mins today.

-ISU guards defense on cuts was porous and nobody on ISU can guard Townes. Best player on the court and it’s not close.

:text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1: Excellent points!
Redbird Nation Rising

RBFANTOO
Freshman

Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:14 am

SgtHulka wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:59 pm
LOVE IT!!! :text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1:
Redbird Nation Rising

• Information