If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Best in state?

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
DWRedbird
Junior

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:17 am

I think Depaul has the best win out of any school in the state, beating a good Iowa team. The Minnesota and BC wins are good in name only. U of I got crushed by it's best opponent and hasn't really beaten anyone good (though they'll have some big tests coming up). I'd say DePaul is the top team in the state overall, probably followed by U of I and then maybe Bradley I guess, though they aren't far from the jumbled mess after them, and then the rest of the teams in Illinois, including us, all jumbled together.
TheTruth
Sophomore

Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:07 am

At this point, you'd have to give the nod to DePaul, I'm sure their dozens of fans are thrilled by this recent resurgence. UIUC is #2 (in more ways than one), with the jumbled stew of mediocrity that is everyone else, nipping closely at their heels.
Reassign Larry Lyons!
Tpguy
Junior

Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:12 am

TheTruth wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:07 am
At this point, you'd have to give the nod to DePaul, I'm sure their dozens of fans are thrilled by this recent resurgence. UIUC is #2 (in more ways than one), with the jumbled stew of mediocrity that is everyone else, nipping closely at their heels.
Classic :clap:
Brick
Sophomore

Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:57 pm

UIUC down 19 at home to Miami. Don’t look like the best team in the state to me!
DaveBird10
Sophomore

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:12 pm

Trey_Guidry4three wrote:
ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:55 pm
Trey_Guidry4three wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:38 pm
Again- subjective on all fronts. One thing that drives me insane about this board that so many of you know nothing about me or my background. ChiRedbird- you have some good posts on this board but there is nothing fascinating about what you say on here to make me believe that you are nothing more than a fan yourself.
come on Trey...Illini by a landslide...subjective but on the extreme side and btw I think the Illini are a team that could make some noise although underwood is an enigma, IMO. The other comment I was referencing you made was a couple of years ago and it was Elijah Clarence being a first round draft pick in 2020.. I believe that was you?
I have Illinois 1. DePaul 2. Note I said "after these guys I'd put ISU".

Don't recall the Clarence comment but if true could've been during one of my "darkest days" for personal reasons.
Bump***

Playing Miami is a lot different then Hawaii, the Citidel, Lindenwood and Hampton.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RedbirdLS84
Freshman

Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:59 pm

Truth, No need to rip the DePaul fans. And I can assure you that there are more than a few dozen fans. The program has been down for 20 years so yes attendance has been down during that time. But I am going to assume you are a younger poster and do not remember how well DePaul used to draw and probably know nothing about its basketball tradition. I will name some past great players if you need some help?

But the past means nothing. If DePaul does start to win with some consistency, then they will draw well. The Big East Conference itself will help DePaul keep those crowds up and the opposing BE schools have great representation here in Chicago along with traveling fan bases. You do realize that DePaul is the largest Catholic school in the country?

Have you been to Wintrust Arena yet? If not, check it out sometime. It is a great facility and hopefully will be a major home court advantage.
Trey_Guidry4three
Sophomore

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:11 pm

DaveBird10 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:12 pm
Trey_Guidry4three wrote:
ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:55 pm
come on Trey...Illini by a landslide...subjective but on the extreme side and btw I think the Illini are a team that could make some noise although underwood is an enigma, IMO. The other comment I was referencing you made was a couple of years ago and it was Elijah Clarence being a first round draft pick in 2020.. I believe that was you?
I have Illinois 1. DePaul 2. Note I said "after these guys I'd put ISU".

Don't recall the Clarence comment but if true could've been during one of my "darkest days" for personal reasons.
Bump***

Playing Miami is a lot different then Hawaii, the Citidel, Lindenwood and Hampton.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
How much do you think ISU would've lost by at Grand Canyon?
bombay
Junior

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:12 pm

DePaul easily. illinois was crushed by the really good team they played and lost at home to the 11th best ACC team. They did beat a bunch of lindenwoods.
jamminjamarsmiley
Sophomore

Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:24 pm

Yeah, sometimes a soft schedule can make a team appear better than they are. It's like when ISU beat Belmont, LR and narrowly lost to UCF. Many thought this was a great team, yet more of a product of a soft schedule to produce those results.
CaliRdBrd
Senior

Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:13 pm

DePaul was the greatest program in this state for a loooong time. That’s what happens when you’re able to keep the top talent in Chicago. I was raised on them. Good to see them righting the ship.
TheTruth
Sophomore

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:15 am

RedbirdLS84 wrote:
Truth, No need to rip the DePaul fans.
I'm not ripping on them, those dozens of family members and boy scout groups that show up are to be applauded.
RedbirdLS84 wrote:
The program has been down for 20 years so yes attendance has been down during that time.
So my point is made..... got it
RedbirdLS84 wrote:
But I am going to assume you are a younger poster and do not remember how well DePaul used to draw and probably know nothing about its basketball tradition.
As someone in their mid-fifties, who's been following college bball for over 40 years, I assure you that's not the case
RedbirdLS84 wrote:
Have you been to Wintrust Arena yet? If not, check it out sometime. It is a great facility and hopefully will be a major home court advantage.
I'm sure you guys will have a nice season but why come to an Illinois State message board to try and sell your program?
Reassign Larry Lyons!
RedbirdLS84
Freshman

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:09 pm

Truth. Yes, I am in my mid-50s but I have been attending college basketball games for 52 years. Do you want to know how many games I have attended in-person and many great players I have witnessed?

I am not trolling the ISU site. I am a 1984 Redbird grad, all 3 of my children have attended or are still at ISU now, still attend several football and basketball games every year and I am very active with the College of Business. Most important I root for the Redbirds to be successful.

I'm not the bad guy here and do know several members on this site. Your comments are what drove me to post!
TheTruth
Sophomore

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:53 am

RedbirdLS84 wrote:
Truth. Yes, I am in my mid-50s but I have been attending college basketball games for 52 years. Do you want to know how many games I have attended in-person and many great players I have witnessed?
Yes, your college basketball knowledge is beyond reproach
RedbirdLS84 wrote:
Most important I root for the Redbirds to be successful.
Yes, your post count of 12 (half of which mention DePaul) is solid proof of your fandom
RedbirdLS84 wrote:
I'm not the bad guy here and do know several members on this site. Your comments are what drove me to post!
Nobody is saying you're the bad guy. I hope you guys go on and win the Big East in that arena the taxpayers helped foot the majority of the bill for. Best of luck to the Demons.
Reassign Larry Lyons!
Adunk33
Senior

Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:46 am

Chicagoans looking for a team to root for feel they have found it in 9-0 Depaul. Beat Texas Tech last night in OT and fans stormed the court. Texas Tech was 5-2 with losses to Creighton and Iowa and wins over a Tim Jank schedule of Bethune-Cookman, Long Island, Houston Baptist, Tennessee State and Eastern Illinois. Depaul hasn't played a great schedule but I do remember the feeling of being 14-0 with Jank at the helm. The wins were mostly fake but it was a good feeling.
Santa Cason
Sophomore

Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:00 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
Chicagoans looking for a team to root for feel they have found it in 9-0 Depaul. Beat Texas Tech last night in OT and fans stormed the court. Texas Tech was 5-2 with losses to Creighton and Iowa and wins over a Tim Jank schedule of Bethune-Cookman, Long Island, Houston Baptist, Tennessee State and Eastern Illinois. Depaul hasn't played a great schedule but I do remember the feeling of being 14-0 with Jank at the helm. The wins were mostly fake but it was a good feeling.
It’s been so long for those fans so who can blame them?

They’ll crack the Top 25 next week and have hope for the first time in a long damn time.
Buffett
Sophomore

Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:02 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
Jank currently 8 and 0 same iffy schedule
cubird
Sophomore

Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:09 pm

Toughest schedule in the state has been the Redbird women with a top RPI in single digits!
isuquinndog
Site Admin

Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:17 pm

cubird wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:09 pm
Toughest schedule in the state has been the Redbird women with a top RPI in single digits!
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!