If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Zenger to D-2 New Haven (CT)

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
Reggie Redbird
Sophomore

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:56 pm

Sheahon Zenger will become the AD at the University of New Haven (CT). The reports I'm hearing are he will be tasked with helping them to move up to a D-1 school.
ricohill
Senior

Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:29 pm

Such a shame we couldn't get him back here. Would have been nice to have real leadership again in the athletic department. However, he probably wouldn't fit in with Dietz and his lack of desire to be an elite Basketball or Football program.
Humdinger
Senior

Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:20 pm

Reggie Redbird wrote:
Sheahon Zenger will become the AD at the University of New Haven (CT). The reports I'm hearing are he will be tasked with helping them to move up to a D-1 school.
Big fan of Zenger. Current AD at KU (former ISU athletic admin and current OU ops man Kenny Mossman was in the final 2 for the KU job) will be under very strong pressure to make KU football a consistent winner. Boatloads of cash (I'm talkin' TPguy kind of money, hek even ISUfan1 kind of money) has been pumped into their football program.

Good luck to Sheahon at New Haven.
TIMMY
Senior

Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:10 pm

Humdinger wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:20 pm
Reggie Redbird wrote:
Big fan of Zenger. Current AD at KU (former ISU athletic admin and current OU ops man Kenny Mossman was in the final 2 for the KU job) will be under very strong pressure to make KU football a consistent winner. Boatloads of cash (I'm talkin' TPguy kind of money, hek even ISUfan1 kind of money) has been pumped into their football program.

Good luck to Sheahon at New Haven.
In spite of the big shooter type money they still have miles to go.
Reggie Redbird
Sophomore

Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:54 pm

An ISU mention; probably a lot of them if they’re looking to move up as an FCS school.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nhregi ... 413923.php

UNH has explored a jump to Division I before. Zenger said there are also benefits in fundraising, in particular, that would make moving football to the FCS level attractive.

“What shouldn’t go overlooked is that I spent six years at Illinois State, an FCS program that I believe is the sweet spot of college athletics,” he said. “This niche that New Haven sits in and Illinois State sits in, I think you attract, for the student athletes and the coaches, enough attention without all the scrutiny in terms of maybe criticism of their play and their coaching. It allows you to be a little more in the trenches with them. What that leads to in fundraising is sharing that story with your stakeholders, your alums, your friends of the program.”
Trey_Guidry4three
Sophomore

Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:18 pm

ricohill wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:29 pm
Such a shame we couldn't get him back here. Would have been nice to have real leadership again in the athletic department. However, he probably wouldn't fit in with Dietz and his lack of desire to be an elite Basketball or Football program.
He knows what he has here and what he will GET there. According to a couple of my sources, this school has very deep pockets and are willing to do whatever it takes to become a competing program in the Northeast. Happy for him. I know he has had a rough go of it lately and good to see one of the true good guys in the business get another crack at it.
isuquinndog
Site Admin

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:26 am

Reggie Redbird wrote:
“What shouldn’t go overlooked is that I spent six years at Illinois State, an FCS program that I believe is the sweet spot of college athletics,” he said. “This niche that New Haven sits in and Illinois State sits in, I think you attract, for the student athletes and the coaches, enough attention without all the scrutiny in terms of maybe criticism of their play and their coaching. It allows you to be a little more in the trenches with them. What that leads to in fundraising is sharing that story with your stakeholders, your alums, your friends of the program.”
I'm really surprised that this isn't getting bashed more by our ISU is in a terrible spot crowd.
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!
TheTruth
Sophomore

Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:42 am

isuquinndog wrote:
Reggie Redbird wrote:
I'm really surprised that this isn't getting bashed more by our ISU is in a terrible spot crowd.
I'm not sure there's anything to bash there. Zenger is lumping Illinois State into the same "niche" as a D2 program. If that's not an indictment of how the athletics dept at Illinois State has been run, I don't know what is. The sad thing is, it never had to be this way. I appreciate Sheahon's honesty, but understand he shoulders his share of the responsibility too.
Reassign Larry Lyons!
ricohill
Senior

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:40 am

TheTruth wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:42 am
isuquinndog wrote:
Reggie Redbird wrote:
I'm not sure there's anything to bash there. Zenger is lumping Illinois State into the same "niche" as a D2 program. If that's not an indictment of how the athletics dept at Illinois State has been run, I don't know what is. The sad thing is, it never had to be this way. I appreciate Sheahon's honesty, but understand he shoulders his share of the responsibility too.
Every basketball coach says at their opening press conference they will play fast and never actually do it. My guess is this is the AD version of that statement.
Buffett
Sophomore

Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:23 am

Is Charlie Weis available ?
isuquinndog
Site Admin

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:41 pm

Zenger is usually looked at as one of our past AD's who "got it" and wanted to move us forward and though we could move up, right? That's why I found it interesting.

Maybe I have the wrong AD, but I thought it was him.
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!
GhostofMBA
Freshman

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:28 pm

isuquinndog wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:41 pm
Zenger is usually looked at as one of our past AD's who "got it" and wanted to move us forward and though we could move up, right? That's why I found it interesting.

Maybe I have the wrong AD, but I thought it was him.
That was Zenger, he got it. He tried with his limited resources and the internal/external/state politics. I liked his drawings and his models though that he use to sit out on the RA concourse.

Quinn, this is the important part of the quote:
“This niche that New Haven sits in and Illinois State sits in, I think you attract, for the student athletes and the coaches, enough attention without all the scrutiny in terms of maybe criticism of their play and their coaching.
What he is saying is, there are not enough donors to move a needle or press coverage to rile up the "legions" of fans. Especially at ISU where the bulk of the financing of the "student athletes" comes from the general student population themselves. But if you do well, then there is opportunity from the pros to make it.
TheTruth
Sophomore

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:45 pm

GhostofMBA wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:28 pm

What he is saying is, there are not enough donors to move a needle or press coverage to rile up the "legions" of fans.
Actually no, not really. Illinois State has never had an A.D. that knew how to fundraise. Illinois State doesn’t know what kind of donor level they have out there for athletics, they’ve never had structure (and apparently desire) in place to tap it.
Reassign Larry Lyons!
isuquinndog
Site Admin

Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:57 pm

Yeah MBA that isn't how I read that at all. I read it as in they aren't big enough to get criticism so there is no reason to move up. Perfect spot.
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!
Bird Friend
Senior

Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:49 pm

isuquinndog wrote:
Yeah MBA that isn't how I read that at all. I read it as in they aren't big enough to get criticism so there is no reason to move up. Perfect spot.
Me, too.
GhostofMBA
Freshman

Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:02 pm

Bird Friend wrote:
isuquinndog wrote:
Me, too.
Criticism on this board of ISU. No one can do a thing about it. Beat writers with only a few "comments" under their articles, which means no large fan base to rile up for change. "Perfect spot" for "administrators" to keep collecting those paychecks and keep handing out scholarships to "student athletes" off of the student body's backs. Remember the NCAA commercial? - Most will go Pro in something else besides sports.

Truth, I believe ISU tried, a little. Zenger appeared to me as a "land a whale" fundraiser. When he left, ISU went after a fundraiser who had experience raising money from small donors (Friedman). Unfortunately Louisville is a lot of different to that of ISU.

Some of us foretold the decline of the MVC and ISU and that it was a trend, not a blip. Most on here said we were wrong. Some said get out of the MVC, others wanted to stay, appeared to be "comfy". ISU and we have reaped what we have sown.
Bird Friend
Senior

Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:23 pm

GhostofMBA wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:02 pm
Bird Friend wrote:
isuquinndog wrote:
Me, too.
Criticism on this board of ISU. No one can do a thing about it. Beat writers with only a few "comments" under their articles, which means no large fan base to rile up for change. "Perfect spot" for "administrators" to keep collecting those paychecks and keep handing out scholarships to "student athletes" off of the student body's backs. Remember the NCAA commercial? - Most will go Pro in something else besides sports.

Truth, I believe ISU tried, a little. Zenger appeared to me as a "land a whale" fundraiser. When he left, ISU went after a fundraiser who had experience raising money from small donors (Friedman). Unfortunately Louisville is a lot of different to that of ISU.

Some of us foretold the decline of the MVC and ISU and that it was a trend, not a blip. Most on here said we were wrong. Some said get out of the MVC, others wanted to stay, appeared to be "comfy". ISU and we have reaped what we have sown.
I'm sorry, but . . . what?
isuquinndog
Site Admin

Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:52 am

So now you agree with that comment flies in the face what what Zenger always said here?
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!
GhostofMBA
Freshman

Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:41 pm

isuquinndog wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:52 am
So now you agree with that comment flies in the face what what Zenger always said here?
The "Sleeping Giant" died of a cardiac arrest in its sleepy slumber. Times have changed. The boat has left and sailed without us.