If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

** SIGNED ** 2019 - DJ Horne, 6-1 PG, Cary, NC

Jsnhbe1Birds
Senior
Posts: 1348
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:39 pm

Hopefully dan can get that up to 7 assists and 2 steals per game. Not concerned with his scoring. He can put up 6ppg and I'm happy if he can run the offense and play defense.
RedbirdSoxFan
Junior
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:41 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:58 pm
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:48 pm
Some good things there. But, can he run an offense, get assists, and get steals. That's what this team is missing most
Muller compared him to PLee. That's high praise, and someone who did all of the things you mentioned.
I can remember some on here posting that we needed a point guard because PLee was not a good one, and a new coach because Dan was not a good one. PLee went on to win the MVC Defensive Player of the Year & Larry Bird MVC Player of the year, and Dan won MVC Coach of the year. I learned to ignore posters who sit on a phone/computer and think they are a better coach than Dan.
JHBird
Junior
Posts: 706
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:28 am

isuquinndog wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:29 am
Reggie wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:37 pm
His advanced stats are not hurt by injury as much as they were hurt by the mental aspect of his play. They would look much better if he wasn't forcing it while struggling. For now you have assume he can be coached, but to think he would have gone from that bad of a season to top PG the next is naive.
He was a better PG than anyone else on the roster this second. And once he was healthy (as he showed for his national team) he was going to be better.
I would've loved to seen EC this year, to see how much he developed. I'm not sure he'd be as good as Jefferson right now, but we could still use him. I liked how physical EC played, somebody not afraid to take it to the rim. As or Horne, not sure what we can expect out of him the first year. I like how Copeland is playing lately, and Jefferson too. I think our starting guards are set for next year. Seems like Jefferson could be a good PG. Not sure how much he's done that in the past. He's quick and smart, and makes some good passes off the dribble.
PurpleRedbird
Freshman
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:17 pm

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:25 am

JHBird wrote:
isuquinndog wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:29 am
Reggie wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:37 pm
His advanced stats are not hurt by injury as much as they were hurt by the mental aspect of his play. They would look much better if he wasn't forcing it while struggling. For now you have assume he can be coached, but to think he would have gone from that bad of a season to top PG the next is naive.
He was a better PG than anyone else on the roster this second. And once he was healthy (as he showed for his national team) he was going to be better.
I would've loved to seen EC this year, to see how much he developed. I'm not sure he'd be as good as Jefferson right now, but we could still use him. I liked how physical EC played, somebody not afraid to take it to the rim. As or Horne, not sure what we can expect out of him the first year. I like how Copeland is playing lately, and Jefferson too. I think our starting guards are set for next year. Seems like Jefferson could be a good PG. Not sure how much he's done that in the past. He's quick and smart, and makes some good passes off the dribble.
I agree that if Jefferson, Copland, and Boyd are all here we are off to a good start at guard for next year. Hein, will also be back. Whether you like him or not he will certainly bring experience and leadership. Horne will have time to come up to speed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JHBird
Junior
Posts: 706
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:58 am

PurpleRedbird wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:25 am
JHBird wrote:
isuquinndog wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:29 am

He was a better PG than anyone else on the roster this second. And once he was healthy (as he showed for his national team) he was going to be better.
I would've loved to seen EC this year, to see how much he developed. I'm not sure he'd be as good as Jefferson right now, but we could still use him. I liked how physical EC played, somebody not afraid to take it to the rim. As or Horne, not sure what we can expect out of him the first year. I like how Copeland is playing lately, and Jefferson too. I think our starting guards are set for next year. Seems like Jefferson could be a good PG. Not sure how much he's done that in the past. He's quick and smart, and makes some good passes off the dribble.
I agree that if Jefferson, Copland, and Boyd are all here we are off to a good start at guard for next year. Hein, will also be back. Whether you like him or not he will certainly bring experience and leadership. Horne will have time to come up to speed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I totally forgot about Boyd! He gets kinda lost in all those red dress shirt guys sitting on the bench. Has anybody been watching practices to see how he looks? He could turn out to be a really good player for us. I heard good things about Keith Fisher and AN. We should be solid next year, though MY will be hard to replace.
Jsnhbe1Birds
Senior
Posts: 1348
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:31 am

I think boyd is going to be the best of the guards.
redbird Recon
Freshman
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:22 am

Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:50 am

Just looking at his stats and a few highlights from a showcase this weekend, it appears he plays off the ball a majority of the time.
Jsnhbe1Birds
Senior
Posts: 1348
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:04 am

redbird Recon wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:50 am
Just looking at his stats and a few highlights from a showcase this weekend, it appears he plays off the ball a majority of the time.
damn. we need a true PG bad
User avatar
Bird Friend
Senior
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:15 pm

The question is “why is playing off-ball?” If it’s because he’s really a 2G, then maybe he’s not the PG we need. If it’s because he’s a CG, then he might be a competent PG and fits Dan’s “desired” mold of versatility. If it's because they have another guy who can only play the point and isn’t a scorer—as DJ is supposed to be—then he may still be the PG we need.

Nic Moore was a scoring PG who could play off the ball. PLee turned himself into a scoring PG. Not sure it’s time to be concerned yet.
Image
BTbird
Sophomore
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:49 pm

Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:01 pm

https://bigshots.net/2019-all-stars-big ... c-top-150/
D.J. Horne 6’2 PG Trinity Christian (NC)/Garner Road (Illinois State commit) | A Missouri Valley Conference star PG in the future. Spending many years at Tulsa with Tubby Smith, I’ve seen star guards in the Valley and DJ Horne fits that mold. Horne is the ideal example of a guard that gets out of North Carolina and makes his mark in finding successful at the right fit. Illinois State got a steal with this one. A scoring lead guard that can be a facilitator or playmaker. He has had several 30+ point outings at Big Shots over the years, also can spoon-feed his side scorers. What we like most about Horne is his competitiveness and passion for the game. He is a guy who will always give it his all on the court. He can play above the box in blocking shots or finishing at the rim. Plays with pace and gear changes quickly allowing him to blow by defenders. At Big Shots Raleigh NC Top 150 he was a top overall performer scoring 11 points in game 1 and 21 points in game 2, with scratches in all statistical categories. One of the top point guards in NC’s 2019 class.
RedbirdSoxFan
Junior
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:31 pm

Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:02 pm

BTbird wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:01 pm
https://bigshots.net/2019-all-stars-big ... c-top-150/
D.J. Horne 6’2 PG Trinity Christian (NC)/Garner Road (Illinois State commit) | A Missouri Valley Conference star PG in the future. Spending many years at Tulsa with Tubby Smith, I’ve seen star guards in the Valley and DJ Horne fits that mold. Horne is the ideal example of a guard that gets out of North Carolina and makes his mark in finding successful at the right fit. Illinois State got a steal with this one. A scoring lead guard that can be a facilitator or playmaker. He has had several 30+ point outings at Big Shots over the years, also can spoon-feed his side scorers. What we like most about Horne is his competitiveness and passion for the game. He is a guy who will always give it his all on the court. He can play above the box in blocking shots or finishing at the rim. Plays with pace and gear changes quickly allowing him to blow by defenders. At Big Shots Raleigh NC Top 150 he was a top overall performer scoring 11 points in game 1 and 21 points in game 2, with scratches in all statistical categories. One of the top point guards in NC’s 2019 class.
This sounds encouraging. Can’t wait to see him in a Redbird Uniform.
Jsnhbe1Birds
Senior
Posts: 1348
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:59 pm

I want you see his assist and steal numbers. It says scratches in all categories, that could mean 1. The fact that it's not mentioned tell me it's probably not great.
User avatar
Bird Friend
Senior
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:01 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:59 pm
I want you see his assist and steal numbers. It says scratches in all categories, that could mean 1. The fact that it's not mentioned tell me it's probably not great.
Then look it up. If you're going to claim his numbers aren't good enough for you, then it's on you to prove your point.
Image
Jsnhbe1Birds
Senior
Posts: 1348
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:37 am

Bird Friend wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:01 am
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:59 pm
I want you see his assist and steal numbers. It says scratches in all categories, that could mean 1. The fact that it's not mentioned tell me it's probably not great.
Then look it up. If you're going to claim his numbers aren't good enough for you, then it's on you to prove your point.
fair enough
Jsnhbe1Birds
Senior
Posts: 1348
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:41 am

7 games. 11.4 points. 3.7 assists. 1.1 steals. 0.1 blocks. 3.6 rebounds.

Steals are decent. Could easily get to 2/2.5 with the right coaching.

Assists are bad. I'd expect at least 7 (then coach him up to 10-12) from a guy you think can be a future PG.
cpacmel
Senior
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:29 pm

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:01 am

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:41 am
Assists are bad. I'd expect at least 7 (then coach him up to 10-12) from a guy you think can be a future PG.
Coach him up to average 10-12 assists per game?

According to Max Preps 3 guys in the nation for high school basketball average between 10-12 assists per game. Also only about 21 guys averaging 7 assists per game too. Not much coaching up happening in the United States.
DBird
Sophomore
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:21 am

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:07 am

cpacmel wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:01 am
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:41 am
Assists are bad. I'd expect at least 7 (then coach him up to 10-12) from a guy you think can be a future PG.
Coach him up to average 10-12 assists per game?

According to Max Preps 3 guys in the nation for high school basketball average between 10-12 assists per game. Also only about 21 guys averaging 7 assists per game too. Not much coaching up happening in the United States.
:text-+1:
And where are those 24 kids playing at?
cpacmel
Senior
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:29 pm

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:19 am

Nick Norton his senior year in high school averaged 6.3 assists per game.

I know it's a shocker but someone has some serious unrealistic expectations. :shock:
Jsnhbe1Birds
Senior
Posts: 1348
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:50 am

I think the game is passing the united states by.
Jsnhbe1Birds
Senior
Posts: 1348
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:50 am

Europe is so much more prepared.
Post Reply