If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Kolton Mitchell, 6’4” PG

User avatar
saxman210
Sophomore
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:08 pm
Location: Lombard, IL
Contact:

Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:42 pm



#RedbirdTwitter: twitter.com/saxman210

Please support Lurie Children’s Hospital and Team Super Sawyer! foundation.luriechildrens.org/goto/BrianGreenenwald
Adunk33
Senior
Posts: 2045
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:49 pm

I really like this kid. As stated in another thread, pass first PG reminds me of a more crafty Elijah Clarence. Meaning, he's not going to run through a defender like EC would have. He's going to shake them, go around, and finish through contact. PASS FIRST DEFENSIVE MINDED PG.
SgtHulka
Senior
Posts: 1406
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:36 am

looks to be someone who enjoys getting into the lane
User avatar
RBFANTOO
Sophomore
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:35 am
Location: Anywhere but Bradley

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:03 am

He could be the PG we have been looking for. Good passer, good ball handler, good shooter.
:dance:
Redbird Nation Rising
Adunk33
Senior
Posts: 2045
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:07 am

RBFANTOO wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:03 am
He could be the PG we have been looking for. Good passer, good ball handler, good shooter.
:dance:
From what I've seen I would say okay* shooter. He has a weird looking jumper but he is more of a driver and passer than a shooter.
Baltimore Bird
Sophomore
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:12 pm

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:11 am

Good size and hops. More of a driver than a shooter it appears. If he can handle the ball effectively, Kolton will be a major asset.
Redbirds and Cardinals, A Combination that Makes Sense! GO BIRDS!
Adunk33
Senior
Posts: 2045
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:15 am



For anyone with the time, I always appreciate watching actual game film on kids to determine expectations. This clip shows his high energy defense, passing, and scoring ability. I love that he comes from a team that loves to press and trap.

I'm guessing at some point a decision will have to be made between Kolton and the Gilyard kid.
BTbird
Sophomore
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:49 pm

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:04 pm

Love it, Lets go get him!
User avatar
BirdGrad2011
Freshman
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:26 pm

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:57 pm

Very pro ISU on Twitter. Seal the deal quick and get some momentum please.
Formerly ISUBirds89
redbird Recon
Freshman
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:22 am

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:44 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:15 am
I'm guessing at some point a decision will have to be made between Kolton and the Gilyard kid.
Gosh, I hope not. Our backcourt was atrocious last season. Both, please.
ChiRedbirdfan
Senior
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:55 pm

redbird Recon wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:44 pm
Adunk33 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:15 am
I'm guessing at some point a decision will have to be made between Kolton and the Gilyard kid.
Gosh, I hope not. Our backcourt was atrocious last season. Both, please.
Don't be greedy....according to Adunk33 we get to pick which one we want vs the players picking if they want ISU.
Adunk33
Senior
Posts: 2045
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:05 pm

Allow me to update. A decision was made. That's why Bryan Greenlee will be on campus and if he doesn't commit KM will be. From everything I've seen, KM seems like a legit player, 6'4 pass first, defensive minded pg and a high character guy.
redbirdron1
Freshman
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:33 am

Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:33 am

ADunk - so.....

you R saying in your belief, it's down to these 2 freshman as to who we'll sign as the 2nd PG, correct?

I guess the Jr. College guy has cooled on the Birds or we've gone in this direction?

I'm ok with bringing in 2 frosh and letting them compete for the PT. We'll just have a season or 2 of growing pains
again but last year was so poor on the guard play.
Adunk33
Senior
Posts: 2045
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:31 am

One of the final 3 scholarships will be used on one of these two freshmen pgs. Not sure on the other two. I'd guess a sit-out transfer and then best available (juco or frosh). Maybe even 2 sit out guys.
SgtHulka
Senior
Posts: 1406
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:08 am

Adunk33 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:31 am
One of the final 3 scholarships will be used on one of these two freshmen pgs. Not sure on the other two. I'd guess a sit-out transfer and then best available (juco or frosh). Maybe even 2 sit out guys.
:pray: please not 2 sit out guys. Take both of these PGs. We've been long on sit out guys and short on PGs for far too long.
V Boy
Junior
Posts: 671
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:52 am

SgtHulka wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:08 am
Adunk33 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:31 am
One of the final 3 scholarships will be used on one of these two freshmen pgs. Not sure on the other two. I'd guess a sit-out transfer and then best available (juco or frosh). Maybe even 2 sit out guys.
:pray: please not 2 sit out guys. Take both of these PGs. We've been long on sit out guys and short on PGs for far too long.
In my opinion based upon what we have coming back we should use all 3 available scholarships on guards. Ideally 1 JUCO PG. Another frosh 2G (Simeon kid would be great). And with the last scholarship the best guard available (sit out is fine but needs to be worth it). If that's Mitchell or another new PG that's great.

We have gotten into this pattern of thinking we already are set talent-wise going into the year and then we get half-way through non-conference and realize our talent isn't good enough.

Muller needs 12 or 13 scholarship players suited up every night competing for playing time. Not 9 or 10.

Here's the current situation with next-year guards:

Copeland - will get better (like Dom/Boo/Knight/TBrown) in 2nd year. But not the explosive scorer/shooter he was made out to be. Average defender. Average ballhandler. He's a 2G/wing player.

Boyd - everyone says he's a great scorer. FG % was pretty bad in a weaker league. Guessing shot selection and decision-making are going to be a problem initially and he will struggle more against a higher level of competition. Sounds like good upside. 2G.

Horne - frosh PG. Even if he's Nic Moore good, it will likely take him nearly all of frosh year to adjust and begin to be productive/efficient.

Hein - We know what we have here. He should not be playing more than 5-10 mpg.

Ideally you want to have 2 starter-level players at both guard positions. We MAYBE have that at the 2G position. We definitely do not have that at PG.
ricohill
Senior
Posts: 1403
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:00 pm

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:18 am

V Boy wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:52 am
SgtHulka wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:08 am
Adunk33 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:31 am
One of the final 3 scholarships will be used on one of these two freshmen pgs. Not sure on the other two. I'd guess a sit-out transfer and then best available (juco or frosh). Maybe even 2 sit out guys.
:pray: please not 2 sit out guys. Take both of these PGs. We've been long on sit out guys and short on PGs for far too long.
In my opinion based upon what we have coming back we should use all 3 available scholarships on guards. Ideally 1 JUCO PG. Another frosh 2G (Simeon kid would be great). And with the last scholarship the best guard available (sit out is fine but needs to be worth it). If that's Mitchell or another new PG that's great.

We have gotten into this pattern of thinking we already are set talent-wise going into the year and then we get half-way through non-conference and realize our talent isn't good enough.

Muller needs 12 or 13 scholarship players suited up every night competing for playing time. Not 9 or 10.

Here's the current situation with next-year guards:

Copeland - will get better (like Dom/Boo/Knight/TBrown) in 2nd year. But not the explosive scorer/shooter he was made out to be. Average defender. Average ballhandler. He's a 2G/wing player.

Boyd - everyone says he's a great scorer. FG % was pretty bad in a weaker league. Guessing shot selection and decision-making are going to be a problem initially and he will struggle more against a higher level of competition. Sounds like good upside. 2G.

Horne - frosh PG. Even if he's Nic Moore good, it will likely take him nearly all of frosh year to adjust and begin to be productive/efficient.

Hein - We know what we have here. He should not be playing more than 5-10 mpg.

Ideally you want to have 2 starter-level players at both guard positions. We MAYBE have that at the 2G position. We definitely do not have that at PG.
I want as many guys as possible that can make shots from 3.
User avatar
Bird Friend
Senior
Posts: 2277
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:43 am

I wouldn't be opposed to both Greenlee and Mitchell. Make the PG position a competition. Plus aa PG who can score can slide more easily into the 2G position than a 2G sliding into the point.

Additionally, if one of the 3 goes all Nic Moore on us and decides to "upgrade" after a successful frosh campaign, we have options in place already. As I said at the time, losing Nic and not having a ready backup was a bigger blow than losing Jank.
Image
User avatar
TIMMY
Senior
Posts: 942
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: 1050 W Addison

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:18 pm

3 freshman point guards? How about 2 and either a grad transfer or Juco. Someone who can handle the ball and play defense at a high level now. I can't take another year of Negative Nellies and their redundant crapola.
Image
Image
Post Reply