If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

2017 freshmen by school

The place to talk Illinois State overall
Post Reply
Jon99
Freshman
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:22 am

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:20 am

Enrollment of first year freshmen students by school

Illinois St- 3352

NIU- 1852
SIUE- 1797
SIU- 1319
WIU- 1206
EIU- 634

Go Birds!! All the directionals seem to be in trouble.

Jsnhbe1Birds
Senior
Posts: 1298
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:52 am

The biggest question I have is how did WIU get 1,206 people wanting to come to Macomb? That would be my last choice.

User avatar
isuquinndog
Site Admin
Posts: 926
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 pm
Location: Normal, IL
Contact:

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:44 pm

Freshman enrollment falls at Illinois State

Includes graph comparing last two years of all Illinois Public schools.
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!

BTbird
Freshman
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:49 pm

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:05 pm

I believe my son's high school has a bigger Freshman class than EIU.

User avatar
Redbirdwarrior
Sophomore
Posts: 496
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:46 pm

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Six hundred students. Let's look at the numbers. Let's say EIU students pay an average of, what, 300 a credit hour? Let's assume the avg freshmen takes 24 credits a year. "

That's only $4,320,000. That's not enough to keep a community college rolling, much ,less a major university.

Apply the same numbers to ISU with 3300 students. ISU is making $23,760,000 vs EIU's $4,320,000.

Dude, EIU is going to collapse. It wouldn't surprise me to see the state simply make them part of the UofI system in the next 5 years.


JHBird
Junior
Posts: 601
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:31 am

What's really hurting those schools is the percent of Illinois high school kids who are leaving the state to go to college. That percent is going up (probably due to the state finances). ISU really benefits because we are financially stable. Parents like that, knowing we haven't laid off or cut faculty, and we've kept tuition increases at a minimum. There's more risk at places like Eastern. You don't know what kind of reductions will happen in the 4 years your kid goes there...so why take the risk? Plus our campus is so much nicer, and with the improvements in downtown Normal. Who's got it better than us?

User avatar
StLRedbird
Sophomore
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:32 am

JHBird wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:31 am
What's really hurting those schools is the percent of Illinois high school kids who are leaving the state to go to college. That percent is going up (probably due to the state finances).
This. My niece graduated from Mizzou last spring. She said that there were nearly 20 kids from her graduating class at BHS that made the trek to Columbia. And this was before the financial crisis. Illinois schools are expensive

JHBird
Junior
Posts: 601
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:09 pm

StLRedbird wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:32 am
JHBird wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:31 am
What's really hurting those schools is the percent of Illinois high school kids who are leaving the state to go to college. That percent is going up (probably due to the state finances).
This. My niece graduated from Mizzou last spring. She said that there were nearly 20 kids from her graduating class at BHS that made the trek to Columbia. And this was before the financial crisis. Illinois schools are expensive
Funny, my friend's daughter from Normal also wants to go to Mizzou. He said it wasn't that expensive to go there.

User avatar
StLRedbird
Sophomore
Posts: 261
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:20 pm

JHBird wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:09 pm
Funny, my friend's daughter from Normal also wants to go to Mizzou. He said it wasn't that expensive to go there.
States west of the Mississippi support their public universities better than Illinois does, with or without the financial crisis. Can't speak to the ones east of my native state. Really, it makes the performance of ISU in that environment all the more remarkable.

JHBird
Junior
Posts: 601
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:42 am

StLRedbird wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:20 pm
JHBird wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:09 pm
Funny, my friend's daughter from Normal also wants to go to Mizzou. He said it wasn't that expensive to go there.
States west of the Mississippi support their public universities better than Illinois does, with or without the financial crisis. Can't speak to the ones east of my native state. Really, it makes the performance of ISU in that environment all the more remarkable.
I hear you. I grew up in Michigan many many years ago, and I went to New Mexico State my freshman year. It was cheaper for me to go there and pay out of state tuition versus going to Michigan State. Sounds like nothing's changed.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest