If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Fire Larry Lyons

The place to talk Illinois State overall
ricohill
Junior
Posts: 646
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:00 pm

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:19 pm

SgtHulka wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:17 pm
ricohill wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:51 pm
Redbird wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:31 pm


This board is a dumpster fire for comments like this. Climb back under your rock and continue donating your $500 a year while making sure you make up that entire donation up at the hog roast. I hope that the next athletic department administration treats you with the same disdain that you treat the current administration with. You think that because you kick a couple bucks to WSF and you have an anonymous username on a board that you can throw around any kind of filth comment you please. This board gives ISU fans a bad name.
As I answer these questions constantly and Quinn can attest, I do not work for the AD and I never have.
Are you sure you don’t work for the athletic department? Because that is exactly how they feel about/treat donors that donate $500. Which is why their donor base is shrinking and will lose out on potential bigger donations down the road.

Also, why is it such a bad comment? Most universities now have rules against that type of hiring and have them for good reason.
The $500 fans are likely $500 fans because that is what they can afford. Those $500 fans become multiple thousand dollar fans over years and years. And they do get treated that way like you say. Worse yet, become known as a guy who runs a message board where other fans can voice their opinion and you become even more than worthless to some in the administration.
:text-+1:

Buffett
Freshman
Posts: 166
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:34 am

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:21 pm

:clap:
SgtHulka wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:17 pm
ricohill wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:51 pm
Redbird wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:31 pm


This board is a dumpster fire for comments like this. Climb back under your rock and continue donating your $500 a year while making sure you make up that entire donation up at the hog roast. I hope that the next athletic department administration treats you with the same disdain that you treat the current administration with. You think that because you kick a couple bucks to WSF and you have an anonymous username on a board that you can throw around any kind of filth comment you please. This board gives ISU fans a bad name.
As I answer these questions constantly and Quinn can attest, I do not work for the AD and I never have.
Are you sure you don’t work for the athletic department? Because that is exactly how they feel about/treat donors that donate $500. Which is why their donor base is shrinking and will lose out on potential bigger donations down the road.

Also, why is it such a bad comment? Most universities now have rules against that type of hiring and have them for good reason.
The $500 fans are likely $500 fans because that is what they can afford. Those $500 fans become multiple thousand dollar fans over years and years. And they do get treated that way like you say. Worse yet, become known as a guy who runs a message board where other fans can voice their opinion and you become even more than worthless to some in the administration.
:clap:

gobirds85
Sophomore
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:40 pm

Buffett wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:21 pm
:clap:
SgtHulka wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:17 pm
ricohill wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:51 pm


Are you sure you don’t work for the athletic department? Because that is exactly how they feel about/treat donors that donate $500. Which is why their donor base is shrinking and will lose out on potential bigger donations down the road.

Also, why is it such a bad comment? Most universities now have rules against that type of hiring and have them for good reason.
The $500 fans are likely $500 fans because that is what they can afford. Those $500 fans become multiple thousand dollar fans over years and years. And they do get treated that way like you say. Worse yet, become known as a guy who runs a message board where other fans can voice their opinion and you become even more than worthless to some in the administration.
:clap:
Didn't that Obama guy raise millions and millions of $$$$ based off small donations?

And who is to say that today's $500 a year donor doesn't turn into tomorrow's $50,000 a year donor? It called "respect" and it doesn't cost anything. I know numerous donors, of all sizes, and I know of none that are increasing their support for athletics in the short term. We need a change in leadership.

gobirds85
Sophomore
Posts: 200
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:43 pm

Redbird wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:05 pm
isuquinndog wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:59 pm
No personal attacks. I've removed posts. Next is removing users. Knock it off.
Then start doing it. The board has become a disgrace to ISU fans. The majority of this thread is fine because it argues the merit of LL and what he has or hasn't done in his job. That is fair game and can be discussed. You state no personal attacks but you allow arguments that personally attack people like LL without a valid argument.
Can you point out any personal attacks here? People seem to be pointing out his shortcomings as our AD and that seems to be more of a professional observation than a personal attack.

If it helps, I do admire his attire. He dresses well.

ricohill
Junior
Posts: 646
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:00 pm

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:56 pm

gobirds85 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:40 pm
Buffett wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:21 pm
:clap:
SgtHulka wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:17 pm

The $500 fans are likely $500 fans because that is what they can afford. Those $500 fans become multiple thousand dollar fans over years and years. And they do get treated that way like you say. Worse yet, become known as a guy who runs a message board where other fans can voice their opinion and you become even more than worthless to some in the administration.
:clap:
Didn't that Obama guy raise millions and millions of $$$$ based off small donations?

And who is to say that today's $500 a year donor doesn't turn into tomorrow's $50,000 a year donor? It called "respect" and it doesn't cost anything. I know numerous donors, of all sizes, and I know of none that are increasing their support for athletics in the short term. We need a change in leadership.
Every donor matters. Now a $500 donor won't get the perks of a $5,000 donor, but all should be treated like they are important. That has been lost at ISU.

Plus, who are we kidding, how many big time donors does ISU even have anymore? We have a bunch of ISU fans that act like they are big time donors (as seen here earlier today), but doubt there are many left.
Last edited by ricohill on Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChiRedbirdfan
Senior
Posts: 1334
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:57 pm

MadBird wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:48 pm
Redbird60451 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:27 am
I don't really know if firing the guy or whole department is what is needed. But I can tell you I went to the Valpo game, every High Schooler sitting around me was on their device. There were 8 kids in my group alone (none in High School), 4 of them were on their devices for almost the entire game. I think if we are going to make money, it's not about putting butts in seats or seeking donations from a fan base that's more about education then sports, it's about figuring out a way to harness that online trend and getting them there. The consumption of media and sports is changing and the further in front we are as a university the better position we are in to get the donations we seek and attract the kind of students we need to keep our University Name in good standing while we all seek jobs. The guy seems to be doing a good job with the funds he's given. Maybe sometimes you need that bean counter in charge to keep us all responsible, seeing we are in a state that is totally irresponsible.
A related observation made at the Wisconsin-Minnesota game last night. The UW games have become one endless "video show" on the mid-court board, "enhanced" regularly by loud pounding DJ music (the DJ sets up at the back of the student section) - music comes in all tastes, and this is not mine, not to say someone isn't enjoying it. The traditional pep band gets its turn, with rounds from the cheerleaders, but now the timeouts mostly involve roving cameras with crowd shots - the kiss-cam, the dance-cam, the flex your muscle cam, etc. - and posting of endless tweets and selfies from people at their first Badger game, with Dad on his birthday at the Badger game, etc. Every now and then a "game" for patrons during timeouts, making baskets, three point contest, you know, the traditional stuff.

Not sure I've conveyed it well, but my point was that the post from 60451 made me wonder about what UW is thinking about with the "game day experience" (how I hate that phrase and concept), that they feel the need to fill up nearly every minute there's no game action with visuals and pounding music, etc. I don't like it, I go to see the game. I'm old.

Also, you know, part of the reason there are fewer people is that the "on-line" trend HAS been harnessed, people would rather stay home and watch the game on their device or TV and don't seem to want to get up off their dead ass and go enjoy THE GAME. Meaning, the reliance on televising, or "devicing" on ESPN 3 or +, brings in revenue, replacing the old need to get fannies in the seats.

Thanks for listening . . . back to our regular programming. :x
was at that game too.. rough night given that first half and free throw shooting if you are a badger fan. The Kohl center is oozing electronically, digitally and with advertising be it the game/stadium environment or fans with their smart phones. The way it is now for the “haves” and that is the way it will be in the future for those that want to succeed.

Reggie Redbird
Sophomore
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:02 pm

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:57 pm

Redbird wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:31 pm
Buffett wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:45 am
Lyons putting his family on the pay roll, you cant defend that.
This board is a dumpster fire for comments like this. Climb back under your rock and continue donating your $500 a year while making sure you make up that entire donation up at the hog roast. I hope that the next athletic department administration treats you with the same disdain that you treat the current administration with. You think that because you kick a couple bucks to WSF and you have an anonymous username on a board that you can throw around any kind of filth comment you please. This board gives ISU fans a bad name.
As I answer these questions constantly and Quinn can attest, I do not work for the AD and I never have.
Athletic departments don't really work this way. If you are the seller, you try to make your customer happy. Treating customers with contempt because they have called out negative results means you are just shooting yourself in the foot. The President's office doesn't become happy when big boosters are not happy with the athletic department, because at a school like ISU, that threatens lengthy and large giving histories to other areas of the university.

If you want an example of how to talk with a donor, no matter his or her feelings about current status, talk to Sean Johnson or Chris Highland. They are young guys but they get the service piece. You bring up a concern, and you have a willing ear. You ask a question, they follow up. Those balls aren't getting dropped like they used to.

With our top AD officials - think the top few - I have not seen the feet pounding the pavement that I did with previous leadership. Perhaps that's a publicity thing. But on the flip side, it could be people not wanting to sit down with boosters in the 1,000-10,000 per year range and take criticism. However, fans will at least feel heard.

To show evaluation on both sides, I will give the current administration kudos for lining up a lot of events, especially for both MBB and FB, to get our teams in front of Chicago-area alumni. I will also give them credit for hiring KG. We are in a remarkable growth mode from the deepest depths of what we suffered under he last regime. Hopefully we can see the same thing with baseball.

Birdman85
Freshman
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:34 pm

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:08 pm

Tomorrow look around the arena and tell me what is going to be ISU's athletic donor base moving forward. There is a huge gap between the donors of old and the next generation. I see this as a big problem that is only going to get worse without building success on many different levels (basketball and football). Trust me ISU badly needs 30yr old's donating $500. We now live in a world where there are many other places that $500 can go. I personally come from a family that has donated good amounts of money over the years. That generation is getting older and without success has lost interest. Nobody is standing in line waiting to pick up what that older generation in my family has donated.

New blood is needed badly!

ricohill
Junior
Posts: 646
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:00 pm

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:15 pm

Birdman85 wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:08 pm
Tomorrow look around the arena and tell me what is going to be ISU's athletic donor base moving forward. There is a huge gap between the donors of old and the next generation. I see this as a big problem that is only going to get worse without building success on many different levels (basketball and football). Trust me ISU badly needs 30yr old's donating $500. We now live in a world where there are many other places that $500 can go. I personally come from a family that has donated good amounts of money over the years. That generation is getting older and without success has lost interest. Nobody is standing in line waiting to pick up what that older generation in my family has donated.

New blood is needed badly!
This is 100 percent correct.

The best chance ISU has right now for a major donation is some people dying. I'm not even joking about that because I know some of the older donors have money set aside.

Why would a 30 year old donate money or attend an ISU game?

Brick
Sophomore
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:51 pm

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:22 pm

I have had 4 to 6 season tickets since 1986. As you can surmise I am not a huge donor yearly but over time it’s added up. I have interacted with all those administrations. I have NEVER been treated with distain during all those years. I don’t get the comments about how bad people have been treated. If I ever needed something they have always come through. End of story!

Phantom
Sophomore
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:17 am

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:23 pm

Start winning, make a commitment to KEEP winning, set short and long-term goals, and prove to the fans and supporters that the AD have dedicated themselves to succeeding. The University itself has done so (and we should all be proud of that as alums/students), and the AD should as well. Both can be done. That's how donors open their wallets and new money is found. Easier said than done? Of course. But an actual plan needs to be made first.

As for fans on their devices during the game? Leverage that somehow- but only to a point, so as to not encourage constant mobile usage. Target those devices within the arena and throw an in-game question on their screens that forces them to pay attention to the game itself. Shame them on the jumbotron for having their eyes buried in their phones instead of the real show...something, anything. Live tweeting/video. etc is common and will happen but people shouldn't be totally glued to their screens for 40 mins. Device targeting can be done. Get interactive. Screw with people. Fun it up.

SgtHulka
Senior
Posts: 925
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:42 pm

Brick wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:22 pm
I have had 4 to 6 season tickets since 1986. As you can surmise I am not a huge donor yearly but over time it’s added up. I have interacted with all those administrations. I have NEVER been treated with distain during all those years. I don’t get the comments about how bad people have been treated. If I ever needed something they have always come through. End of story!
The only reason I've been mistreated through the years is by being known as that Redbirdfan.com guy. Somehow wjbc and the pantagraph, who also allow for publicly negative comments never seem to get the cold shoulder. Not by any AD, but plenty by the staff, and others here can attest to that at pregame events and whatnot.

As far as Larry, I will only say that when my mom passed, one of my sisters mentioned that dad might get a lift from someone from ISU sending condolences since we'd been season ticket holders for years and he lived for ISU basketball. I thought, good idea, I'll send an email to Larry explaining the situation and see if he can't send a low level lackey to say I'm here from ISU, sorry for your loss. Instead, Larry and his wife were first in line at the visitation. I'll always respect him for that alone. Harping on his overall job performance isn't in my pay grade or wheel house.
Only ISU Chess Club can take ISU Basketball where it needs to go
Image

User avatar
isuquinndog
Site Admin
Posts: 1017
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 pm
Location: Normal, IL
Contact:

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:54 pm

Redbird wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:05 pm
isuquinndog wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:59 pm
No personal attacks. I've removed posts. Next is removing users. Knock it off.
Then start doing it. The board has become a disgrace to ISU fans. The majority of this thread is fine because it argues the merit of LL and what he has or hasn't done in his job. That is fair game and can be discussed. You state no personal attacks but you allow arguments that personally attack people like LL without a valid argument.
No one has attacked Larry personally. No one called him names, said he was a bad person or anything else. His job performance, in a world where donations are what support his department are fair game. People are unhappy with that. That's fine.

But I am not going to allow people to be called pieces of blank or anything close to that. I think some of the critisim of Larry and the AD is unfair, go back and read what I wrote a few posts ago. People want to compare us to the B10 and that isn't fair. Compare us to the MVC. That's where we are today.
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!

User avatar
Bird Friend
Senior
Posts: 1808
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:07 pm

Kudos to both sides of the argument! You’ve both done a great job of convincing yourselves you’re right and supporting your fellow believers.

I think the middle ground would include something like the following:
  • 1) Establish long-term plan for growing athletics (to include functions, personnel, fundraising goals, and identifying gaps).
  • 2) Develop transition plan for identifying, recruiting, and hiring strong candidates for AD, including an AD-In-Waiting role if appropriate.
  • 3) Assess skills, talent, and fit for all current staff.
  • 4) Identify additional revenue streams for WSF (for example: is it legal to add a donation option when purchasing game tickets? Maybe we already do that?).
Other ideas for solutions are welcome. Please don’t include comments about whom to hire/fire.
Last edited by Bird Friend on Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

isuphloyd
Freshman
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:47 pm
Location: Villa Grove, IL
Contact:

Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:09 pm

Not really paying attention, but the travel softball team I coach is a 501c3 nonprofit, and we would gladly take those $500 or less or more donations. Hit me up if you are interested :) vgelite16u@gmail.com or isuphloyd@gmail.com

ricohill
Junior
Posts: 646
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:00 pm

Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:32 pm

Bird Friend wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:07 pm
Kudos to both sides of the argument! You’ve both done a great job of convincing yourselves you’re right and supporting your fellow believers.

I think the middle ground would include something like the following:
  • 1) Establish long-term plan for growing athletics (to include functions, personnel, fundraising goals, and identifying gaps).
  • 2) Develop transition plan for identifying, recruiting, and hiring strong candidates for AD, including an AD-In-Waiting role if appropriate.
  • 3) Assess skills, talent, and fit for all current staff.
  • 4) Identify additional revenue streams for WSF (for example: is it legal to add a donation option when purchasing game tickets? Maybe we already do that?).
Other ideas for solutions are welcome. Please don’t include comments about whom to hire/fire.
I know it isn't a big deal, but ISU should start by crafting an athletic mission statement with substance.

Mission Statement
https://goredbirds.com/sports/2014/4/10 ... ssion.aspx

The Illinois State University Athletics Department is committed to academic and athletic excellence as it prepares today's student-athletes to become tomorrow's leaders.

Is the goal to just be competitive in the MVC or is the expectation to be competitive on the national level (primarily for Basketball and Football)? Right now I'd say we are competitive in the MVC and MVFC, but far from being relevant nationally in both sports. Is being in the top half of the MVC or MVFC considered good enough? What does excellence look like?

Setting some standards would be the first place to start.

Also, what are fundraising goals? We had the Redbird Renaissance under Zenger, why not outline what we need to succeed and start setting fundraising goals?

I was looking at Zenger's bio, in 4 years he increased memberships to the WSF by 65%. What can we do to get that type of growth again to the WSF?

User avatar
isuquinndog
Site Admin
Posts: 1017
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 pm
Location: Normal, IL
Contact:

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:25 pm

Redbirds Rising includes athletics. They are trying to raise $34 million.

http://www.weisbeckerscholarshipfund.com/?path=general
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!

ricohill
Junior
Posts: 646
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:00 pm

Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:30 pm

isuquinndog wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:25 pm
Redbirds Rising includes athletics. They are trying to raise $34 million.

http://www.weisbeckerscholarshipfund.com/?path=general
Any idea how much they have raised or what it is going to be used for?

ISU FAN 1
Senior
Posts: 1594
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:10 pm

bb fan wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:36 pm
Anyone that thinks Lyons has had nothing to do with any capital product executed in the last 20 years simply has no clue, or is outright ignoring facts known by anybody working or associated with our athletics department. Period. Lyons has put all of these deals together. I am not trying to defend or compliement Lyons. Just stating what is plainly clear.

95% of all university athletics programs survive by student fees and / or other university subsidies. But here, only our AD is critized for running a department with these resources. Anymore, any university president will tell you this has become the absolute most important skill of any AD -- making these funds work for the department the best, most creative and efficient way. Any there are many in this business that will tell you Lyons is one of the best at this. And why Dietz likes him as much as he does.

I tried. I gave a you an honest, objective analysis. You have picked and chose some stuff as expected. And that's fine. However, anybody that would still say we are experienced some sort of "dumpster fire" has no clue what such a situation would be out there. And there are plenty athletics departments struggling mightily. But we are not one of them.
Rico totally pants you, and exposed all your bullshit. Own it, and move on.

ISU FAN 1
Senior
Posts: 1594
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:30 pm

ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:05 pm
ricohill wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:51 pm
Redbird wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:31 pm


This board is a dumpster fire for comments like this. Climb back under your rock and continue donating your $500 a year while making sure you make up that entire donation up at the hog roast. I hope that the next athletic department administration treats you with the same disdain that you treat the current administration with. You think that because you kick a couple bucks to WSF and you have an anonymous username on a board that you can throw around any kind of filth comment you please. This board gives ISU fans a bad name.
As I answer these questions constantly and Quinn can attest, I do not work for the AD and I never have.
Are you sure you don’t work for the athletic department? Because that is exactly how they feel about/treat donors that donate $500. Which is why their donor base is shrinking and will lose out on potential bigger donations down the road.

Also, why is it such a bad comment? Most universities now have rules against that type of hiring and have them for good reason.
Agree nepotism can’t be defended. It is wrong in many ways especially to moral of other employees. Try hiring your family in a department you manage in corporate America...you will he fired in a heart beat. What Lyons did as respects to hiring family for a department he manages is flat out wrong, IMO.

I actually find it shocking that ISU did not have controls in place to prevent Lyons from hiring his family.
LOL. Tipsord’s son jumped past 2 levels to VP at State Farm in the last year. If you consider that corporate America. Different rules when you don’t have to answer to stockholders. All the stuff that made SF a good place to work have disappeared, but the bullshit like nepotism remains.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests