Kolbe looks really ready

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

fourthandshort
Senior

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:53 am

Always been a supporter of Kolbe and believed he would continue to develop as QB. He was a little less ready than I expected last season, but steadied the ship as season progressed. Part of that was on him and his lack of comfort in pocket. but part of it was due to sudden OC change before August camp - and I don't think he and Dicken clicked.

Listen to and watch Kolbe during his interview below. His confidence and determination are pretty apparent, and you can see he has mentally taken a big step forward, not to mention physically putting on 10+ lbs. Also note his positive comments about his relationship with Dicken ... this is huge factor.

http://www.goredbirds.com/watch/?Archiv ... pe=Archive

There are still gong to be bumps along the way with 4 of 5 new OL, and Kolbe will be taking some sacks ... don't panic fans .. we will need to be patient with offense until they find their groove. OC/OL Clark knows how to bring OL players along .. he had 3 guys in NFL camps form last season.

But Kolbe looks really ready to take a step forward this season.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

JHBird
Sophomore

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:21 am

A few weeks ago Brock kinda implied that Kolbe played hurt most of last year. Brock didn't want to make any excuses, etc. I remember Kolbe got banged up early(EIU I believe), just didn't know how much it might have affected him the rest of the year. Seemed like he fumbled a bit too much (might have been injury related?). Either way I'm thinking he has a big year, even with the new O-line.

fourthandshort
Senior

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:42 am

JHBird wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:21 am
A few weeks ago Brock kinda implied that Kolbe played hurt most of last year. Brock didn't want to make any excuses, etc. I remember Kolbe got banged up early(EIU I believe), just didn't know how much it might have affected him the rest of the year. Seemed like he fumbled a bit too much (might have been injury related?). Either way I'm thinking he has a big year, even with the new O-line.
Yes, he took wicked hit from behind in EIU game (3rd game) and came back in to play in 2nd half of 4th game (InSU). His turnover issues were only a problem in first half of season when our offense was out of sync half the time. He figured out how to take care of ball as season progressed .. and he's put on 10+ lbs this year, so hits won't bother him as much .. his arms are much bigger.

I still say during first half of last year, aside from OC transition issues, other problem was how much we took OL for granted and our play calling looked somewhat random with little true commitment to run game. This put more pressure on Kolbe to win with his arm before he was ready to deal with picket. But then we started to settle into nice balance, which I give Dicken credit for adjusting .. despite several RB injuries.

This year it seems like we are taking nothing for granted, obviously because of our OL .. so I'm betting the play calling will be much more tailored to our personnnel development and how we match up to opponent that particular week. I assume OL will be more ready to run block and pass block with 3-5 step drops. lots of 2 TE sets. to help chip block DEs. Then mix in more 5-7 step drops as OL develops. Schedule lays out perfectly.

p.s. Kolbe's new best friend ... the TE position .. #85 TE Tylor Petkovich. Hoping TE Clements gets healthy, going to need 2 productive TEs.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

MadBird
Sophomore

Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:42 pm

I've sung this song before, but would also say Kolbe was only a sophomore last year, and "we" tend to expect too much from guys too early in their careers. Some of us more than others. Sometimes it's more a "hope" than expect - we needed Kolbe to be good last year due to losing Tre. We hoped he'd be able to deliver. But he was only a soph with just a few games of experience.

So, he's a junior now, has a solid year of experience to go with some spot time freshman year, and now we are justified in expecting a lot. There's every reason to expect more. But, he can't do it alone and needs the OL to come around sooner rather than later.

But yes, looking forward to Kolbe taking the next step and joining the ranks of some of our "legendary" QB's - Brown, Drone, Glenn, Roberson, Coppens, etc. He's already #8 in all time passing TD's?? Crazy.

Birdfan 4Life
Freshman

Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:58 pm

I was impressed with Jake's arm strength in person compared to the Northwestern game last year. He moved around the pocket nicely and showed some toughness/sneaky quicks on some runs. Stared a couple guys down like others mentioned and missed a couple guys but all in all I was impressed by his leadership and composure.

I think he will get better as the season goes along as well...watch out NDSU!
"“I think Illinois State has a lot of potential in football that has been untapped. When it comes time to move up to [the Bowl series level], it will happen, I truly believe that with my heart." - Al Bowman April 15, 2011

• Information