If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Court Side

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:04 pm

Redbird wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:08 am
TIMMY wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:47 am
Your best bet is to marry into the Lyons family.
I will start by saying I am not employed by the university and I am not a family member of the Lyons'. I am a season ticket holder for football and basketball. I will defend this every time I see it on this board.

If any of you are donors and supporters like you say you are, then that means you should have met many members of the athletics administration. If you have, then you should know that the people that work there care about the university and work hard to make the programs there successful. I can honestly say that I have never had a negative experience with any staff member from athletics. Comments like the one above are the ones that eventually drive quality people to burn out and leave this university.

Now come at me Timmy. Tell me why someone at some point some staff member didn't get you your free Hoopfest tshirt and that's why you can make comments like these. Tell me how you're a donor so you are entitled to make these statements as you see fit. Tell me how you didn't get enough food at the hog roast to cover your WSF donation so you're angry about it.
Okie Dokie Matt

Jsnhbe1Birds
Senior

They charge way too much for admission. Family of four with hot dog and a drink is $80 in the upper bowl. 17-1 and averaged 6,000. 60% capacity. Laughable. Do whatever it takes to get butts in the seats. If you lower prices but get 9,000 you're still getting same amount of money and people might get hooked. Also, maybe less transfers. Who wants to play in a half empty stadium. Also, once people get hooked and good more recruits will come to stay good and eventually you can raise prices back to where they are. Lyons acts like the birds are a big ten team when they aren't. He wants to dream it into existence instead of putting the effort in to make a lead into being a better quality, recognized school. And, I agree. It all starts with butts in the seats. But they're too afraid to lose a bit of money in the short term even if it means a brighter future. You can't make money without spending money.

Redbird
Freshman

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:23 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
They charge way too much for admission. Family of four with hot dog and a drink is $80 in the upper bowl. 17-1 and averaged 6,000. 60% capacity. Laughable. Do whatever it takes to get butts in the seats. If you lower prices but get 9,000 you're still getting same amount of money and people might get hooked. Also, maybe less transfers. Who wants to play in a half empty stadium. Also, once people get hooked and good more recruits will come to stay good and eventually you can raise prices back to where they are. Lyons acts like the birds are a big ten team when they aren't. He wants to dream it into existence instead of putting the effort in to make a lead into being a better quality, recognized school. And, I agree. It all starts with butts in the seats. But they're too afraid to lose a bit of money in the short term even if it means a brighter future. You can't make money without spending money.
You yourself said that we need someone with "visions to expand" but then you say he acts like we are a Big Ten team when we aren't. So which way do you want it? People all the time on this board say that if we act big time and expect big time then we will be big time.

A family of 4 (assuming 2 children under 12) can get tickets for $44 in the upper bowl. At Wichita State the cheapest is $160. At UNI, its $52. At Evansville, its $44. Hell movie tickets for a family of 4 costs $42.50. Sounds like we are at a perfect price point economically.

dpdoughbird06
Freshman

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:33 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Our Athletic Department is funded more heavily by student fees (77% last I read) than any of our peers, yet we still can't book a better home date for football - our main revenue sport - than an exhibition vs Saint Xavier. I've asked on here before for someone to dig up how WSF contributions and large gifts towards targeted projects are progressing relative to our peers. Fundraising was Matt's main job - and apparently shadowing the golf team's every step. And LB was in charge of marketing, so attendance at the revenue sports would be her measuring stick, no? Good or bad, we have our barometers for their performance. And Larry steers the ship, so when football says they need an indoor to keep up, it's his job to oversee those in charge of making it happen.

As an alum and corporate sponsor, my interest stems from pride in my school, desire to be entertained, and vigilance regarding a return on my annual investment. Folks already flood out of Hancock at halftime, which is why I always insist on a first quarter promo; Larry or his successor need to be forever mindful of how easy it is to slip from halftime departures to seats that never fill in the first place. We have to keep winning. And if we don't fundraise successfully for the multipurpose indoor facility, football is going to have a hell of a time keeping up with the Penguins and Dakotas. I think it's fantastic we still play our games outdoors and flummox dome teams when they visit, but I cringe when I read about our team losing a practice day in-season due to the weather, knowing that half the MVFC - and soon to be the majority - has no such problem.

It's not a pretty world for midsize athletic departments. ISU has so much working in its favor, but it's on our administration to capitalize before we lose our momentum. I hope we do.

Jsnhbe1Birds
Senior

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:40 pm

Redbird wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
You yourself said that we need someone with "visions to expand" but then you say he acts like we are a Big Ten team when we aren't. So which way do you want it? People all the time on this board say that if we act big time and expect big time then we will be big time.

A family of 4 (assuming 2 children under 12) can get tickets for $44 in the upper bowl. At Wichita State the cheapest is $160. At UNI, its $52. At Evansville, its $44. Hell movie tickets for a family of 4 costs $42.50. Sounds like we are at a perfect price point economically.
I said $80 with hot dog and drink. Still, if its only $65 few people want to spend that much to watch them play Quincy or Lewis. Or even Charleston Southern. Prices are way to high for what they are trying to accomplish. 60% capacity. Sure, UNI is more and so is WSU but they SELL OUT. They can price it whatever they want as long as they keep selling out. ISU? 60% during a top 40 season. SAD.

Redbird28
Sophomore

Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:14 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Redbird wrote:
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:

I said $80 with hot dog and drink. Still, if its only $65 few people want to spend that much to watch them play Quincy or Lewis. Or even Charleston Southern. Prices are way to high for what they are trying to accomplish. 60% capacity. Sure, UNI is more and so is WSU but they SELL OUT. They can price it whatever they want as long as they keep selling out. ISU? 60% during a top 40 season. SAD.
Just to put the hot dog/drink/seat to bed:

From goredbirds.com --- https://ev9.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerc ... =&appCode=

2017-18 Redbird Family Packages:

November 22 vs. Quincy
November 25 vs. Charleston Southern
December 9 vs. Murray State
January 10 vs. Loyola Chicago
February 21 vs. Drake
Package includes Four tickets, Four Hot Dogs, Four Small Drinks and Four Bags of Chips for $44. Additional tickets can be purchased for $11. Click here to purchase!

So, for the 44$ total 4 ticket minimum you get the hot dog, drink, and they'll even toss in a bag of chips. Anybody else you want to bring to the game can get the same deal for 11$. That's pretty cheap, and the deal is available for 2 of our conference games as well.

My family will be there for the Quincy game on this deal.

We also ponied up the 84$ and bought a partial season ticket plan so we can come to most of the weekend games. At 12$ a game that seems more than justifiable to both my wife and I to make the 1 hour 50 minute drive each way.

Both deals seem more than acceptable from a pricing standpoint in my book.
Feel free to follow me @RPKraemer on the Twitter Machine. Always up for talking Redbird Hoops and Football. Go Birds!

Redbird
Freshman

Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:16 pm

Redbird28 wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:14 pm
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Redbird wrote:

Just to put the hot dog/drink/seat to bed:

From goredbirds.com --- https://ev9.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerc ... =&appCode=

2017-18 Redbird Family Packages:

November 22 vs. Quincy
November 25 vs. Charleston Southern
December 9 vs. Murray State
January 10 vs. Loyola Chicago
February 21 vs. Drake
Package includes Four tickets, Four Hot Dogs, Four Small Drinks and Four Bags of Chips for $44. Additional tickets can be purchased for $11. Click here to purchase!

So, for the 44$ total 4 ticket minimum you get the hot dog, drink, and they'll even toss in a bag of chips. Anybody else you want to bring to the game can get the same deal for 11$. That's pretty cheap, and the deal is available for 2 of our conference games as well.

My family will be there for the Quincy game on this deal.

We also ponied up the 84$ and bought a partial season ticket plan so we can come to most of the weekend games. At 12$ a game that seems more than justifiable to both my wife and I to make the 1 hour 50 minute drive each way.

Both deals seem more than acceptable from a pricing standpoint in my book.
:clap: :text-+1:

Jsnhbe1Birds
Senior

Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:37 pm

I have season tickets, as well. WE have no problem paying it. I just don't see many families spending that much. Obviously, they won't or it wouldn't be 60% capacity.

Bird Friend
Senior

Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:02 pm

TIMMY wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:56 am
And I don't wear tshirts. :?
Been meaning to talk to you about that . . . we really need to wear at least a t-sirt, some undies and pants would be appropriate, too.

Redbird78
Freshman

Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:29 pm

Geez, what a bitch session! All TPSKULT wanted was to find out how to get lower bowl tickets!!

tpskult
Freshman

Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:23 pm

Redbird78 wrote:
Geez, what a bitch session! All TPSKULT wanted was to find out how to get lower bowl tickets!!
Wasn’t expecting it to head this direction lol.

Birdswin
Sophomore

Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:00 pm

Yes, very interesting twist to the original question. The best way to find out what it takes to get a court side seat - 309-438-8000 and ask.

As far as the Athletic Administration - we have been stuck in neutral now for four years or so. I see the current staff as all good people, who try hard, and want to do the best that the can - no question. However, the performance and outcome is no where close to what ISU needs. We do not have one dynamic personality or anyone who is a true salesperson/fundraiser type person - the person who can sell ice cubes to the Eskimos - no where to be found. Larry is a nice guy - he is an accounting type, Dwight has been here how long and has anyone even met him? I do not see any of our primary Athletic Admin circulating through the tailgating lots. Just not happening.

RedbirdSoxFan
Junior

Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:05 pm

tpskult wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:23 pm
Redbird78 wrote:
Wasn’t expecting it to head this direction lol.
Welcome to Redbirdfan.

isuquinndog
Site Admin

Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:59 am

So let me put to bed any rumors about Rebird being a Lyons family member. I can see everyone's email addresses. He's not. So let's put that rumor to bed.

Also, we are not going to drop F bombs. It does nothing to enhance anything on this message board. I will delete your post.
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!

ThisIsTheLineup
Sophomore

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:51 am

Wait.

Are Matt and LB leaving?

Not posting an opinion about anything. I just have not heard that rumor yet.

TIMMY
Junior

isuquinndog wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:59 am
So let me put to bed any rumors about Rebird being a Lyons family member. I can see everyone's email addresses. He's not. So let's put that rumor to bed.
notmattlyons@yahoo.com????????????? :D
I put the smiley face because I know that's not his real email address. Just in case any athletic administrators are reading this and thinking of quitting their jobs.

Source
Freshman

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:59 am

ThisIsTheLineup wrote:
Wait.

Are Matt and LB leaving?

Not posting an opinion about anything. I just have not heard that rumor yet.
Yes. LB got a job at her alma mater in Alumni Relations. Matt doesn't have a plan yet but he is leaving too. Her last day is next week.

Redbird
Freshman

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:31 am

Quinn, while I would normally not swear in this type of environment, I think your policing my use of an F bomb is a little hypocritical given the way some people on this board like to personally attack people and spread rumors. You allow people to post on here that I work for ISU or that I am a Lyons family member, but as soon as I drop a curse word, post is gone. There have been several posts on this thread from others that provide constructive criticism on the job that some do within the coaching ranks or athletic administration and I have no issue with that especially when they are well thought out posts. My issues are not with those people despite the fact that I may disagree. My issue are the ones who simply throw people under the bus because they have the last name Lyons, make broad unsupported criticisms i.e. "he's not a visionary", or people who simply nitpick just to nitpick. Most of you may think I'm just as crazzy as some other people on this board but I think my point is valid that people find it easy to demand, demand, demand because they give some money to the university without the smallest ounce of appreciation for the job they do. Coaching staff aside, the people in athletic administration should not be in the public eye. They are real people like you and I that go to work just the same except there isn't a forum talking about the mistake WE made last week. That is my entire issue. If you want to criticize Kolbe for a throw he made, or Spack for a play call, or Muller for a player that left; I believe that to be fair game. I didn't want to bring up that Matt and LB are leaving but the cat is out of the bag. I believe those two care deeply about ISU and want ISU to succeed. I am sad to see them go.

cpacmel
Junior

Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:02 am

Redbird wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:31 am
Coaching staff aside, the people in athletic administration should not be in the public eye. They are real people like you and I that go to work just the same except there isn't a forum talking about the mistake WE made last week. That is my entire issue. If you want to criticize Kolbe for a throw he made, or Spack for a play call, or Muller for a player that left; I believe that to be fair game.
I disagree with this. AD’s are in the public eye and they should be. They are the one’s making decisions on coaches, scheduling, facilities, policies etc. With that comes scrutiny. Like it or not. It also happens everywhere. So please don’t think the Lyons’s are being treated differently here. If they are, it’s because of the appearance of nepotism. And once again, like it or not that also comes with the Terriority.

I can also guarantee you that this board is no different than the public. Fans, booster and alumni when together are discussing the A.D.’s and the athletic department as a whole when they get together, be it at tailgates, gatherings, etc.

Swearing has never been allowed on this board. Not sure why you think you get a pass on that.

MPE773
Freshman

Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:16 am

Birdswin wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:00 pm
Yes, very interesting twist to the original question. The best way to find out what it takes to get a court side seat - 309-438-8000 and ask.

As far as the Athletic Administration - we have been stuck in neutral now for four years or so. I see the current staff as all good people, who try hard, and want to do the best that the can - no question. However, the performance and outcome is no where close to what ISU needs. We do not have one dynamic personality or anyone who is a true salesperson/fundraiser type person - the person who can sell ice cubes to the Eskimos - no where to be found. Larry is a nice guy - he is an accounting type, Dwight has been here how long and has anyone even met him? I do not see any of our primary Athletic Admin circulating through the tailgating lots. Just not happening.
Who is Dwight?

• Information