If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Non-Con Schedule

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
Redbird222
Junior
Posts: 599
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:47 pm

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/colle ... ssion=true

. Muller said Phil Fayne, William Tinsley and Matt Chastain all have undergone meniscus knee surgeries that have slowed things down a bit.

I knew Matt had another surgery but I did not realize Phil and William did too. Was this public knowledge and I just missed it?
DoubleDeuce
Junior
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:46 am

Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:18 am

Humdinger
Senior
Posts: 1575
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:24 am

Redbird222 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:47 pm
https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/colle ... ssion=true

. Muller said Phil Fayne, William Tinsley and Matt Chastain all have undergone meniscus knee surgeries that have slowed things down a bit.

I knew Matt had another surgery but I did not realize Phil and William did too. Was this public knowledge and I just missed it?

Wow. One thing is critical for our success. We.Gotta.Stay.Healthy.
Phantom
Sophomore
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:17 am

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:07 pm

Good sched. Only nitpicks are being not crazy about a DII team again, and was hoping for a P6 buy game but oh well. The road games at Belmont and UCF are nice. Steal one or both of those and that will carry some good weight in March.

Awesome home slate, and having the two biggest home games on Saturday nights when students are on campus is huge. Should be fun atmospheres.
HT59
Sophomore
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:58 pm

Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:49 pm

:text-+1:
Phantom wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:07 pm
Good sched. Only nitpicks are being not crazy about a DII team again, and was hoping for a P6 buy game but oh well. The road games at Belmont and UCF are nice. Steal one or both of those and that will carry some good weight in March.

Awesome home slate, and having the two biggest home games on Saturday nights when students are on campus is huge. Should be fun atmospheres.
CaliRdBrd
Senior
Posts: 1097
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:01 pm

This schedule is “meh”. Better than most years, but nothing I’ll be bragging my my P5 buddies about.
Saying that, since it’s clear we’ll never be in the conversation for an at-large, and everything hinges on Arch Madness, why not play all P5’s? Even if we go to their court without the guarantee of a return game, let’s do it.
birdsflyhigh
Freshman
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:36 am

Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:36 pm

Despite the D2 game, this schedule is overall the best non-con I've ever seen since I've been a Bird fan (going on 39 years now). Pretty sure most, if any, P5 schools are not going to schedule a non-con anywhere near the quality that HC Muller & Co. have put together for the Birds. Congrats out to the entire staff and am really looking forward to the games this season and ISU earning a spot in the Big Dance....YES! :dance:

GO YOU REDBIRDS! :happy-bouncyred:
DannyCooksey
Senior
Posts: 772
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:20 pm

Dan is excited and optimistic about Chastain. I am too. Hope he’s healthy. If he is he will help a lot.
V Boy
Junior
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:30 pm

Prognosticators are betting BYU, San Diego St, Central Fla will be on the bubble for at-large. These are the games that are most important to win. They are basically play-in games.

We win these games and finish 13-5 or better in Valley I think we have a good shot at at-large. RPI will be in the high 20s or low 30s and we should be able to claim the quality win game (probably 6 or 7 top 100 wins). Maybe 2-3 in top 50.

Have to win these 3 games. Lose them and it’s back to Arch Madness title game prayers.
CaliRdBrd
Senior
Posts: 1097
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:54 pm

birdsflyhigh wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:36 pm
Despite the D2 game, this schedule is overall the best non-con I've ever seen since I've been a Bird fan (going on 39 years now). Pretty sure most, if any, P5 schools are not going to schedule a non-con anywhere near the quality that HC Muller & Co. have put together for the Birds. Congrats out to the entire staff and am really looking forward to the games this season and ISU earning a spot in the Big Dance....YES! :dance:

GO YOU REDBIRDS! :happy-bouncyred:
You must have forgot about the year we played #2 Maryland, at #1 Kentucky’s, at San Diego State, TCU, UAB, Murray State, St Joe’s
Retire 12
Sophomore
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:54 pm

Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:57 pm

Best doesn't always mean toughest.
bawhale88
Freshman
Posts: 84
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:48 pm

Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:16 pm

when are game times typically released?
Jsnhbe1Birds
Senior
Posts: 1348
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:07 pm

bawhale88 wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:16 pm
when are game times typically released?
Probably when the full schedule is released after labor day
Reggie Redbird
Sophomore
Posts: 433
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:02 pm

Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:43 am

CaliRdBrd wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:01 pm
This schedule is “meh”. Better than most years, but nothing I’ll be bragging my my P5 buddies about.
Saying that, since it’s clear we’ll never be in the conversation for an at-large, and everything hinges on Arch Madness, why not play all P5’s? Even if we go to their court without the guarantee of a return game, let’s do it.
For teams being willing to play us home, away, neutral, or both, it's pretty big to get this schedule. In the future, losing the MVC/MW challenge hurts but we didn't win most of those either. Ultimately all sports at ISU depend on MBB revenue - forced WSF "donations" for tickets and ticket sales themselves. Our department would not be able to survive if we didn't play home games.

Bottom line, your P5 buddy's teams generally won't play us. If they do, it's only going to be on their courts and often if we're slated to have a down year.

With a good conference season, this schedule presents an opportunity to get an at-large bid if we win most of these non-con games. We have to stay healthy and can't have issues like we did with MY with Charleston Southern. One of those losses is going to torpedo our at-large chances unless we win a lot of other games. There is also some fate involved where we don't have a situation where PF or another key player needs to be away (Murray State).
Jsnhbe1Birds
Senior
Posts: 1348
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:55 pm

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2017 ... anksgiving

looks like the chicago that game is part of the tournament. i was unaware.
User avatar
Bird Friend
Senior
Posts: 2443
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:59 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:55 pm
https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2017 ... anksgiving

looks like the chicago that game is part of the tournament. i was unaware.
Weird. That's all I got to say.
Image
Adunk33
Senior
Posts: 2193
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:12 am

Bird Friend wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:59 pm
Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:55 pm
https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2017 ... anksgiving

looks like the chicago that game is part of the tournament. i was unaware.
Weird. That's all I got to say.
The "mainland games" have never made any sense to me. They have no bearing on the actual bracketed tournament. Are the mainland teams competing against each other like round-robin style to see who can have the best record after playing some bracketed teams? I don't get it.

I have a feeling a game like this would have been scheduled regardless, though.
Adunk33
Senior
Posts: 2193
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:14 pm

We get bonus games!!! 2 Exhibition games added to the schedule:
Tuesday, October 30 vs Lewis - 7 p.m.
Saturday, November 3 vs Augustana - Noon.

As a season ticket holder, I'm getting my quantity worth of games! 18 home games by my count.
Jsnhbe1Birds
Senior
Posts: 1348
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:27 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:14 pm
We get bonus games!!! 2 Exhibition games added to the schedule:
Tuesday, October 30 vs Lewis - 7 p.m.
Saturday, November 3 vs Augustana - Noon.

As a season ticket holder, I'm getting my quantity worth of games! 18 home games by my count.
Awesome to have two. Probably a closed scrimmage too. Dan feels big things.
Jsnhbe1Birds
Senior
Posts: 1348
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:59 pm

Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:28 pm

I got ever to, too, two in less than a line!
Post Reply