The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
Tpguy
Sophomore

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:56 pm

I just looked at the map, trip cancelled

Atrey22
Freshman

Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:59 am

Keep the trip on standby and hold my deposit Tpguy..I heard Trump is building a bridge after the wall is done.
Redbirds rising

Tpguy
Sophomore

Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:08 am

Atrey22 wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:59 am
Keep the trip on standby and hold my deposit Tpguy..I heard Trump is building a bridge after the wall is done.
Sorry pal, you're check came back NSF, please send another certified plus the $30 fee I had to pay :lol:

gobirds85
Freshman

Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:35 pm

ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:48 pm
SgtHulka wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:05 am
Redbird28 wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:29 am
Old news, and I know it was raised in another thread but can't remember which one; does anyone know if there is going to be any type of travel package put together for fans for this trip? It semi-closely coincides with my 10 year anniversary and we are tentatively planning on going to this tournament and enjoying the island for the week as a 10 year getaway celebration.
Suzi Davis may put something together. They usually offer something, The dates of their trips generally coincide with the dates the team travels, os it would be 4-5 days only. A better option is often the tournament organizer. http://www.caymanislandsclassic.com/

Or you can see if you can buy just game tickets through the venue or organizer and book your own trip
Great island to visit. I have been there countless times over the years for work and recommend researching what you can put together on your own. You will be down there right before the official business conference/tourist season starts so you may do well/better on your own. Not certain of your budget but the Ritz Carlton off-season can be reasonable but who knows if the tournament will drive up the rates at that hotel/complex? The Westin also is one of the better hotel locations. Ideally stay some place along 7 mile beach and know that there are private condos for rent if that is a preferable option. Recommend getting a small rental car so you can get out and see the island. Great restaurants all over the island including Calypso Grill and Lucas...those two are a couple of my and my wife's favorites. For great lunch food go to Sunshine Grill as they are famously known for their fish tacos which are indeed excellent.

Beyond know that Grand Cayman is well known for and offers some of the best scuba diving in the world. You could get your scuba certification ahead of time if you wanted to do some advanced scuba diving but without a full certification there are plenty of fun/cool snorkeling/diving options.

I also suggest checking our Stingray city where you are in the water with the stingrays. A little freaky at first as they are huge and come right up to you but cool once you get over the fear. If you consider going to Stingray city be aware that the weather on the 7 mile beach side of the island can be tranquil however the back side of the island may be windy and therefore waves may lead to a bouncy boat ride out to the sandbar where you swim/snorkel with the stingrays. You can take a boat ride out to stingray city or there are some wave runners that you rent and take out to Stingray city with a tour guide. The boat option is less expensive but the wave runners are a blast if the weather/waves on the back side of the island are calm. DO NOT RENT WAVE RUNNERS ON BACK SIDE OF ISLAND GOING TO STINGRAY CITY IF THERE ARE SIGNIFICANT WAVES....been there, done that and it was brutal as no known jock strap can protect your jewels in that environment.

Beach walks are special there so try to sneak that in especially late afternoon. There is a public beach area near the middle of seven mile beach and they have a fun little bar right on the beach where you can sit and have a cocktail. If you mix in the tournament with some Island activities and dinners you will have a memorable time especially if the weather cooperates.

Gand Cayman is a great place to visit. I have been there numerous times. The diving is fantastic, 7 Mile Beach is one of the best beaches in the world, and there is plenty of high and low end shopping. Cayman is NOT cheap!!! The menus will almost always be in CI $$, which is .80 to $1.00 US. Look at staying in a condo on 7 Mile. They offer better deals and their beaches are way less crowded. I have never rented a car as the cabs are plentiful and driving there is a train wreck. We have been all over the island and it's more fun to let the local do the driving and sit back and enjoy what Cayman has to offer. Grand Cayman has a fair amount of cruise ships in and out of port. If you are going to go to Georgetown, the capitol, check the cruise ship calendar. Georgetown is a zoo during the days when the big ships are in port. Our day usually consists of two morning dives, lunch, and rum punch on the beach for the rest of the afternoon. Throw in a walk or two down the beach, snorkeling and now Redbird bball. This will be epic.

Tpguy
Sophomore

Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:53 pm

The last time I snorkeled a boat came up beside me and tried to harpoon me. Never again.

gobirds85
Freshman

Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:35 pm

Is anyone heading down for this tourney? Pretty stout field so it should prove to be a great test for us. Has anyone heard anything about a potential charter with ISU? Just looking for some info as my wife and I, along with at least one other Redbird couple are seriously looking at making the trip.

Adunk33
Senior

Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:36 pm

gobirds85 wrote:
Is anyone heading down for this tourney? Pretty stout field so it should prove to be a great test for us. Has anyone heard anything about a potential charter with ISU? Just looking for some info as my wife and I, along with at least one other Redbird couple are seriously looking at making the trip.
:text-+1:

SgtHulka
Junior

Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:48 pm

gobirds85 wrote:
Haven't heard anything about a charter yet. They general do though. I recall reading something here about a bus trip though. I will be giving it serious consideration.The charter flight is generally a quick turnaround, whatever the team is staying there for. We've always ended up booking these on our own when we have done it.
RIP Frank Y, Mother Hulka, Berg, Ray F, Jim and Janet T

gobirds85
Freshman

Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:59 pm

SgtHulka wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:48 pm
gobirds85 wrote:
Haven't heard anything about a charter yet. They general do though. I recall reading something here about a bus trip though. I will be giving it serious consideration.The charter flight is generally a quick turnaround, whatever the team is staying there for. We've always ended up booking these on our own when we have done it.
I believe the bus trip would be much cheaper, but it would add a ton of time to the week. Might be the best way to go if you aren't in a hurry.

• Information