Cayman Island Classic

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
Topoly28
Freshman

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:09 am

ISU is in the Cayman Island Classic along with Creighton, The Bonnies, Akron, Boise State, Clemson, Georgia (rumored) and another team not yet announced.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2017 ... anksgiving

Topoly28
Freshman

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:16 am

This may be old news lol, but I just heard about it today.

Redbird28
Freshman

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:29 am

Old news, and I know it was raised in another thread but can't remember which one; does anyone know if there is going to be any type of travel package put together for fans for this trip? It semi-closely coincides with my 10 year anniversary and we are tentatively planning on going to this tournament and enjoying the island for the week as a 10 year getaway celebration.
Feel free to follow me @RPKraemer on the Twitter Machine. Always up for talking Redbird Hoops and Football. Go Birds!

Adunk33
Senior

Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:47 am

Think we're going to get matched up with Clemson or the other P5 they bring in for the first round? We typically always get one of the tougher first round draws. Georgia won't be very good next year, and I like to think they like to spread the wealth in the early rounds of these tournaments for the sake of hoping to have two P5/6 meet in the championship. I could see:

Akron v Creighton
ILST vs Clemson
Boise vs Georgia (another P5)
St. Bonne vs ??? (Another P5)

SgtHulka
Junior

Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:05 am

Redbird28 wrote:
Old news, and I know it was raised in another thread but can't remember which one; does anyone know if there is going to be any type of travel package put together for fans for this trip? It semi-closely coincides with my 10 year anniversary and we are tentatively planning on going to this tournament and enjoying the island for the week as a 10 year getaway celebration.
Suzi Davis may put something together. They usually offer something, The dates of their trips generally coincide with the dates the team travels, os it would be 4-5 days only. A better option is often the tournament organizer. http://www.caymanislandsclassic.com/

Or you can see if you can buy just game tickets through the venue or organizer and book your own trip
RIP Frank Y, Mother Hulka, Berg, Ray F, Jim and Janet T

ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:48 pm

SgtHulka wrote:
Redbird28 wrote:
Suzi Davis may put something together. They usually offer something, The dates of their trips generally coincide with the dates the team travels, os it would be 4-5 days only. A better option is often the tournament organizer. http://www.caymanislandsclassic.com/

Or you can see if you can buy just game tickets through the venue or organizer and book your own trip
Great island to visit. I have been there countless times over the years for work and recommend researching what you can put together on your own. You will be down there right before the official business conference/tourist season starts so you may do well/better on your own. Not certain of your budget but the Ritz Carlton off-season can be reasonable but who knows if the tournament will drive up the rates at that hotel/complex? The Westin also is one of the better hotel locations. Ideally stay some place along 7 mile beach and know that there are private condos for rent if that is a preferable option. Recommend getting a small rental car so you can get out and see the island. Great restaurants all over the island including Calypso Grill and Lucas...those two are a couple of my and my wife's favorites. For great lunch food go to Sunshine Grill as they are famously known for their fish tacos which are indeed excellent.

Beyond know that Grand Cayman is well known for and offers some of the best scuba diving in the world. You could get your scuba certification ahead of time if you wanted to do some advanced scuba diving but without a full certification there are plenty of fun/cool snorkeling/diving options.

I also suggest checking our Stingray city where you are in the water with the stingrays. A little freaky at first as they are huge and come right up to you but cool once you get over the fear. If you consider going to Stingray city be aware that the weather on the 7 mile beach side of the island can be tranquil however the back side of the island may be windy and therefore waves may lead to a bouncy boat ride out to the sandbar where you swim/snorkel with the stingrays. You can take a boat ride out to stingray city or there are some wave runners that you rent and take out to Stingray city with a tour guide. The boat option is less expensive but the wave runners are a blast if the weather/waves on the back side of the island are calm. DO NOT RENT WAVE RUNNERS ON BACK SIDE OF ISLAND GOING TO STINGRAY CITY IF THERE ARE SIGNIFICANT WAVES....been there, done that and it was brutal as no known jock strap can protect your jewels in that environment.

Beach walks are special there so try to sneak that in especially late afternoon. There is a public beach area near the middle of seven mile beach and they have a fun little bar right on the beach where you can sit and have a cocktail. If you mix in the tournament with some Island activities and dinners you will have a memorable time especially if the weather cooperates.

SgtHulka
Junior

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:40 pm

Thanks for the island recap, good stuff!

I've been on a few of these remote tourney trips. There a pluses and minuses to the. Great way to see some games and be in an intimate game setting. Great excuse for a vacation. Minuses are that you spend some tropical vacation time in a gym, and depending on if the game is where you are staying you also have to factor some travel time out of your vacation time.

I heartily endorse the All Inclusive resort/tourney combo. Have done this twice in Cancun. Sitting on beach, looks at phone, "hey, the game starts in 10 minutes, we better walk to the gym", and at the game "Hey waiter, dos margaritas por favor" which is then delivered to your seat. Have been to Puerto Rico. Driving around was a bitch, but a fine place to vacation otherwise. Hawaii was awesome, but when you find yourself on one side of the island and the game starts in 2 hours so we better head back around, it is a bit of a vacation downer.

Since the goal is to do these regularly now, I am more choosy about which I consider. Last year would have been bad to have booked a trip to an island about to be wiped out. I hear the Virgin Island travel situation a couple of years back was less than ideal. Hands down, the All Inclusive tourneys are the best option. Atlantis would be nice.

Bird Friend
Senior

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:43 pm

So you’re saying that watching ISU basketball isn’t always a vacation for you?

SgtHulka
Junior

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Bird Friend wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:43 pm
So you’re saying that watching ISU basketball isn’t always a vacation for you?
Yet another minus. It's a lot more fun when we win than lose and it's no fun to spend your vacation pissed off, though the vacation part does take the sting out of the losses much more quickly than any other time

Redbird28
Freshman

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:44 pm

ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:48 pm
SgtHulka wrote:
Redbird28 wrote:

Great island to visit. I have been there countless times over the years for work and recommend researching what you can put together on your own. You will be down there right before the official business conference/tourist season starts so you may do well/better on your own. Not certain of your budget but the Ritz Carlton off-season can be reasonable but who knows if the tournament will drive up the rates at that hotel/complex? The Westin also is one of the better hotel locations. Ideally stay some place along 7 mile beach and know that there are private condos for rent if that is a preferable option. Recommend getting a small rental car so you can get out and see the island. Great restaurants all over the island including Calypso Grill and Lucas...those two are a couple of my and my wife's favorites. For great lunch food go to Sunshine Grill as they are famously known for their fish tacos which are indeed excellent.

Beyond know that Grand Cayman is well known for and offers some of the best scuba diving in the world. You could get your scuba certification ahead of time if you wanted to do some advanced scuba diving but without a full certification there are plenty of fun/cool snorkeling/diving options.

I also suggest checking our Stingray city where you are in the water with the stingrays. A little freaky at first as they are huge and come right up to you but cool once you get over the fear. If you consider going to Stingray city be aware that the weather on the 7 mile beach side of the island can be tranquil however the back side of the island may be windy and therefore waves may lead to a bouncy boat ride out to the sandbar where you swim/snorkel with the stingrays. You can take a boat ride out to stingray city or there are some wave runners that you rent and take out to Stingray city with a tour guide. The boat option is less expensive but the wave runners are a blast if the weather/waves on the back side of the island are calm. DO NOT RENT WAVE RUNNERS ON BACK SIDE OF ISLAND GOING TO STINGRAY CITY IF THERE ARE SIGNIFICANT WAVES....been there, done that and it was brutal as no known jock strap can protect your jewels in that environment.

Beach walks are special there so try to sneak that in especially late afternoon. There is a public beach area near the middle of seven mile beach and they have a fun little bar right on the beach where you can sit and have a cocktail. If you mix in the tournament with some Island activities and dinners you will have a memorable time especially if the weather cooperates.
Excellent information. Thank you for taking the time to put that together.

We had already done a little homework and saw that Stingray City was something to check out primarily because my wife fashions herself as Queen of the the Stingrays after our last trip to the Tampa Aquarium where they have a petting tank and she conquered a little bit of her "big fish" phobia. We also thought our daughter would love it.

I doubt we do any scuba diving because we are also bringing our 8, soon to be 9, year old with us on this trip.
Feel free to follow me @RPKraemer on the Twitter Machine. Always up for talking Redbird Hoops and Football. Go Birds!

Tpguy
Sophomore

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:02 pm

I’m taking $599 deposits for a bus trip to the island starting tomorrow

Jsnhbe1Birds
Junior

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:05 pm

Tpguy wrote:
I'm not sure how you expect to get a bus 1000 miles into the ocean...

SgtHulka
Junior

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:06 pm

Tpguy wrote:
Quite a deal. I thoroughly enjoyed the bus trip to Hawaii you put on a few years back. One tip: Bring a snorkel.

DBird
Freshman

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:16 pm

SgtHulka wrote:
Tpguy wrote:
Quite a deal. I thoroughly enjoyed the bus trip to Hawaii you put on a few years back. One tip: Bring a snorkel.
Do you also have ocean front property in Arizona?

birdballfan
Freshman

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:42 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:05 pm
Tpguy wrote:
I'm not sure how you expect to get a bus 1000 miles into the ocean...
Really?????????????? You need some help getting the hook out of your lip??

Humdinger
Senior

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:51 pm

SgtHulka wrote:
Tpguy wrote:

I forgive our beloved poster. We all throw a DOH! out there on occasion.

Humdinger
Senior

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:53 pm

The poor fella on the negatory receiving end of that fine pitch was TP, btw...

"Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full."

RedbirdSoxFan
Sophomore

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:13 pm

Tpguy wrote:
So the bus 🚌 is leaving tomorrow :lol:

Jsnhbe1Birds
Junior

Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:44 pm

RedbirdSoxFan wrote:
Tpguy wrote:
probably. once it gets to the Mississippi coast you'll have to put on waders and everyone gets an ore just. just slide the window down and start rowing.

Bird Friend
Senior

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:32 pm

Jsnhbe1Birds wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:44 pm
RedbirdSoxFan wrote:
Tpguy wrote:
probably. once it gets to the Mississippi coast you'll have to put on waders and everyone gets an ore just. just slide the window down and start rowing.
That'll only work if TP hasn't sealed the windows to prevent the bus from sinking. You may want to add extra suntan lotion for when it's your turn to be on top of the bus rowing.

• Information