Pleasantly Surprised

The place to talk Redbird Women's Basketball
Redbirdwarrior
Sophomore

Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:09 pm

So, coming off a year where ISU had only 8 wins all season, the lady Redbirds are currently 4 and 4 going into the Long Beach Classic.

Anyone else excited at how well the team is competing compared to last year? Seems like a whole new vibe over at RBA and I love it.

MadBird
Sophomore

Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:49 pm

Sort of, I guess.

The ladies were 3-3 after 6 games last year, before the bottom fell out (lose 11 of next 12 or some such). So 4-4 is better, but there's still a long way to go.

I've already watched more ISU women's hoops this year (parts of 3 or 4 games) than I probably have in all my years put together, so hard for me to compare to the past. But I like what I've seen so far. I've not seen Goods play, so not sure how much better they could be with her. Saylor is a decent heady point guard. Beck is solid, Green is solid. I've seen Talbot look pretty good and not so good.

I guess my assessment so far is it looks like Coach Gillespie is not in over her head, the team is playing hard and has won. They should have won the game with Milwaukee, let it get away. I think they're heading in the right direction. A .500 season would probably be a pleasant surprise.

Bo-Peep
Freshman

Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:01 am

The team is doing better than last year. Goods played pretty good in the game I did see her in. Saylor is fast up and down the court and distributing the ball, but I have not seen her make any baskets other than a couple of lay-ups. I've been wondering if she can shoot from a distance.

Reggie Redbird
Sophomore

Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:23 am

Bo-Peep wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:01 am
The team is doing better than last year. Goods played pretty good in the game I did see her in. Saylor is fast up and down the court and distributing the ball, but I have not seen her make any baskets other than a couple of lay-ups. I've been wondering if she can shoot from a distance.
If Goods is someone who would be valuable to have around for another season, I would redshirt her at this point. No sense in having her sit out half a season and only play 1.5. Saylor was a much needed addition to the roster.

Saylor can handle the ball, and that's the reason we brought her in. We just didn't have that last year or really at most points in Smith's tenure. Hopefully she will take more wide-open shots. Sometimes she passes too much; really, a lot of our players do.

At this point in the season, we have 88 assists and 152 turnovers. So we're about 0.58 assists for every turnover. Last year, it was 0.53. So, that's a slight improvement. Hopefully that continues to improve, and I think it will.

Last year, we didn't have one player who was truly close to a 1:1 A/TO ratio. This year, both Saylor and Livingston are doing a good job handling the ball. If our posts can improve their ball handling, this team could have a lot more chances to pull off shots.

Redbirdwarrior
Sophomore

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:54 pm

So... Bump. Illinois State could go from 8 wins to winning season in one year. I'm SO excited to see the development. This is great.

MadBird
Sophomore

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:29 pm

Redbirdwarrior wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:54 pm
So... Bump. Illinois State could go from 8 wins to winning season in one year. I'm SO excited to see the development. This is great.
I've paid way more attention this year than ever before, and it's been fun to watch them seem to get it together.

Freshman point guard, JC transfer to fit in (and who had some injuries), short bench (for better or worse), some other injuries here and there, seems like they've done pretty good. And there's still time to do some other stuff (winning season, tournament win).

I'm very happy for Coach G and her staff, showed that they could make the step up from DII/NAIA (well a couple of them have DI experience to be clear). Assuming the commits all show up next fall, the future's looking pretty damn bright.

• Information