Moderator: Football Moderators

bombay
Sophomore

Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:27 pm

Shelby Harris 10 yard sack.

Redbirdfan21
Sophomore

Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:47 pm

Anyone know if Cam got in the game today? With the blowout, I heard a lot of subs were in while I was driving and listening on the radio...

Reggie
Freshman

Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:33 pm

Lee was not on the game day roster

DannyCooksey
Sophomore

Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:26 am

Sitton and Compton both got injured against the Lions.

Sitton might be shut down. a good chance Cam Lee is on the active roster this Sunday. What a great Xmas present for him and his family.

Plus---Hroniss Grasu sucks balls and Cam is better than him playing with his hands cuffed.

DannyCooksey
Sophomore

Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:40 pm

Good ole #63 Cam Lee made his debut today. Great to see him out there.

TreRoberson4Heisman
Sophomore

Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:26 am

First NFL score for James O’Shaughnessy!

DannyCooksey
Sophomore

Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:31 am

DannyCooksey wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:40 pm
Good ole #63 Cam Lee made his debut today. Great to see him out there.
There is a chance that Cam gets more PT this week. Both Sitton and Massie have yet to practice and neither is expected to play Sunday. There is an outside chance he could start over Compton at guard this week.

Regardless.....he will be dressed and that should give him momentum going into next year. With a good off-season Cam can impress the new coaching staff and hopefully stick on the 53 next year.

cpacmel
Junior

Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:45 pm

Thought this was really cool!!

fourthandshort
Senior

Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:57 pm

cpacmel wrote:

that is very cool to see pic like this ... 2 highly unlikely NFL prospects from ISU now playing in NFL on sundays .. a preferred walk-on at ISU and 4th year 3rds stringer grad transfer from U of I

p.s. still thinking about what a stupid douchebag Coach Cubit must have been ... Bello was 3rd stringer for 4 years on bad U of I teams, who's only meaningful reps were on special teams .. blows my mind every time i think about it.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

DannyCooksey
Sophomore

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:09 pm

cpacmel wrote:

Very cool. Another pic for the Kaufman Building.

TheTruth
Freshman

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:18 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:57 pm
p.s. still thinking about what a stupid douchebag Coach Cubit must have been ... Bello was 3rd stringer for 4 years on bad U of I teams, who's only meaningful reps were on special teams .. blows my mind every time i think about it.
That is a head scratcher, Cubit seemed like a very good coach while at WMU who seemed to completely forget what he was doing when he got to UIUC.

Reggie
Freshman

Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:30 pm

Cubit was OC except for the final year, and as an interim HC, hired in July, I doubt he messed with the defense much.

TJ Neal, Tre Watson, Mason Monheim, and usage of a STAR position- that is why he didn't play more. Not to mention great pass rushers, eliminating the option for pass rushing duties, like he was used for at ISU. I would have played him as a back up as well.

fourthandshort
Senior

Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:39 pm

Reggie wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:30 pm
Cubit was OC except for the final year, and as an interim HC, hired in July, I doubt he messed with the defense much.

TJ Neal, Tre Watson, Mason Monheim, and usage of a STAR position- that is why he didn't play more. Not to mention great pass rushers, eliminating the option for pass rushing duties, like he was used for at ISU. I would have played him as a back up as well.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/d ... story.html

Bello was quoted this past October as being told he was not good enough to crack the rotation by Cubit after he was promoted from OC to HC .. he said this was specifically why he left during August camp during his 5th year.

Other part of story was Bello had verbally committed to Cubit at WMU for what would have been the 2012 season. But eventually de-committed and went to Illinois. Ironically, Cubit left WMU a year later and also joined U of I as OC for 2013-15 before becoming HC in August 2016, and Bello transferred that same August. So have to wonder if Cubit was getting even. Which is ironic considering Cubit left WMU just a year after Bello change is commitment.

Speaking of getting even .. Bello is in NFL, Cubit is coaching HS now.

http://gridironnow.com/former-illinois- ... -coaching/

p.s. I don't know how good their depth chart was at Bello's position, but their defense sucked that year. And they had Bello for 4 years .. 4 1/2 given he left in August .. they couldn't see his upside ? Just too hard to believe he is in NFL now, but didn't deserved serious reps at U of I. Did or will any of the guys you mentioned make the NFL ? (Browns suck and are borderline NFL team, but their run defense ranks very high).

Reggie
Freshman

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:28 pm

Did Galen Scott or Kye Stuart make the NFL? Did Boomer play LB in the NFL? Those are three of our best LBs ever. That is not a good barometer for college players.

Bello was primarily a pass rusher for ISU. Illini had Duane Smoot and Carroll Phillips at DE in 2016. They didn't need rushers. They had Hardy Nickerson at MLB. (All three of them are in the NFL BTW). Bello is not a Will linebacker. That leaves strong side, but Illinois used a STAR. Unfortunately that leaves Bello out. ISU and Illinois ran very different defenses. He did not fit what they needed, but he did for ISU. Good players can get burried even on bad rosters, it was a good move for him.

MadBird
Sophomore

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:33 pm

Reggie wrote:
Did Galen Scott or Kye Stuart make the NFL? Did Boomer play LB in the NFL? Those are three of our best LBs ever. That is not a good barometer for college players.

Bello was primarily a pass rusher for ISU. Illini had Duane Smoot and Carroll Phillips at DE in 2016. They didn't need rushers. They had Hardy Nickerson at MLB. (All three of them are in the NFL BTW). Bello is not a Will linebacker. That leaves strong side, but Illinois used a STAR. Unfortunately that leaves Bello out. ISU and Illinois ran very different defenses. He did not fit what they needed, but he did for ISU. Good players can get burried even on bad rosters, it was a good move for him.
Boomer did play LB for a while in NFL, first year, maybe second. Kye Stewart played LB in Canada if I'm not mistaken Not sure about Galen Scott, don't think he make NFL. We've had other LB's who have at least been on NFL rosters (Mike Zimmer of recent vintage comes to mind).

Reggie
Freshman

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:39 pm

First year Boomer was listed at LB, but was mostly just a special teams player (very good one at that, wedge buster). Point is not disparaging ISU players, but pointing out that good college players don't always make for NFL players.

If Galen and Kye we're bigger they certainly would have made it. Boomer could have stayed at LB, but made the switch to increase is chances of staying. His size was his biggest knock as well, because of his height.
Last edited by Reggie on Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MadBird
Sophomore

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:42 pm

Oh, yeah, duh, Nate Palmer currently on Titans roster, has played LB now for about 3-4 years. Others at LB include Cameron Siskowicz, Evan Frierson.

Thanks for interpreting, I get the point now.

Reggie
Freshman

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:53 pm

Palmer and Frierson both transferred from Illinois as well. Hopefully Megginson is next in the pipeline to make the NFL, and encourage more to make the jump to ISU.

fourthandshort
Senior

Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:25 am

Reggie wrote:

sounds like you know way more about their rotation than i do and all good relevant info. But according to quote, Cubit said he wasn't good enough .. he didn't say he was a bad fit. And how does an NFL caliber player go thru your weak football program for 4 1/2 years, and you don't find a way to get him on field more ? He was 3rd string most of his time there, and now he is on NFL 2 deep for Browns. Note, as bad as Browns are, their RUSH defense is 7th in yards per game and 1st in yards per rush in all of NFL.

anyway. I do acknowledge your general point ... and I've been known to exaggerate my point to make a point on occasion .. ( e.g. the whole AD Barry Alvarez is a Wus thing)

Back to real point .. way to go BJ Bello !!! And ... U of I, please send more our way !!

bombay
Sophomore

Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:55 pm

Another big sack for Shelby. He Got Mahomes on the KC 8.

• Information