If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Big Ten to reopen playing FCS

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

SgtHulka
Junior

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:43 pm

TreRoberson4Heisman wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:19 pm
chuckie1980 wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:55 pm
WIU Leathernecks are scheduled to play the Illini in 2018...
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-ten ... illini.php

It's going to be a while before an ISU vs. Illini match-up.
If just hadn't have bumped the wide receiver from UCF out of bounds on that last second Hail Mary pass we would have played em next.
RIP Frank Y, Mother Hulka, Berg, Ray F, Jim and Janet T

Chi-bird
Sophomore

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:52 pm

Brock, Matt Lyons, someone - get on the horn and get a game before we have to wait until 2030

ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Chi-bird wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:52 pm
Brock, Matt Lyons, someone - get on the horn and get a game before we have to wait until 2030
Why? We have the annual "Mid-American Classic" as a feature game every year with Eastern Illinois and season openers at home against Butler/Valpo like teams. Sorry I just despise this type of scheduling when there are very few opportunities in a year to try to showcase ISU football. Both games early in the season when ISU should be trying to put their best foot forward towards building a long term fan base as that is when fans prefer to attend football games. Yes Eastern/Valpo/Butler games are suppose to get ISU's name out there and get fans excited for the remainder of the season and long term as well.

BTW...I don't agree with the logic of some of opening against a weak team so the coaches can evaluate team play and where the Redbirds need to improve before they play better teams. If we have a top coach and top players we should want to take on a tough and noteworthy opponent right away as we should be better prepared and have the advantage..especially before any team views game film on IUS. Fans would love to have a meaningful opening game at ISU. Alabama (#1) and Florida State (#3) are not afraid to play each other on opening weekend and that game is going to get a lot of views and has been getting press for months...which btw is another reason to have a good opening opponent as game #1 will be talked about and in the press for many weeks vs just one week. ISU does not have a meaningful home game this season until nearly Halloween which is a missed marketing opportunity for ISU football.

All that said I have two tickets to the Butler game in Section 103 row 20 if anyone wants them. That game is not worth the drive from Chicago.

StLRedbird
Sophomore

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:39 pm

ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Why? We have the annual "Mid-American Classic" as a feature game every year with Eastern Illinois and season openers at home against Butler/Valpo like teams. Sorry I just despise this type of scheduling when there are very few opportunities in a year to try to showcase ISU football. Both games early in the season when ISU should be trying to put their best foot forward towards building a long term fan base as that is when fans prefer to attend football games. Yes Eastern/Valpo/Butler games are suppose to get ISU's name out there and get fans excited for the remainder of the season and long term as well
I would trade the Mid-American Classic for a series of H&Hs with the royalty of FCS in a heartbeat. Actually, I'd like to see a CAA team on the schedule every year instead of it. But I understand there are a lot of good Redbird fans here that like that game against Eastern for some very good reasons. I guess it's possible to do both and lose the non-scholarship FCS game. Leaves you precious little margin of error that way.

fourthandshort
Senior

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:41 am

Need to get FBS game back, then agree with stlbrd about H&H with top 20 FCS non-conf.

And I think we have reached level where I agree on EIU .. time to break away from annual EIU game. But I don't agree we should stop playing the patsy game .. every team does it for good reason. Our MVFC schedule is tough enough just the way it is. Top teams in CAA and Big Sky get 4-5 patsy teams in conference every year .. we have at most 1-2 in conference. Need to be smart about scheduling to make playoffs.

Our SOS is top 10 every year with the Patsy game, and even without an FBS game this year .. it serves important purpose.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

Chi-bird
Sophomore

Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:28 am

I don't have a beef with our schedule in general. I understand the reasons why it is the way it is. I would like to see eastern Illinois on our schedule every so often, but not every year. If we had four nonconference games to schedule, then I would be OK with it being every year. But we have three games is all. I'm also OK with the Patsy game,if taking place the same year as a power five matchup.

I know that when we do play power five schools, it is probably in our best interest to play them in week one. That said, I think it's a major letdown going from playing at Iowa or at Northwestern to coming home I guess the Dayton or Butler.

Brock has stated that he likes doing those games every other year, and that every year. Personally, I would like to see them every year, or at least every other year. I'm glad we have Colorado State next year. An absolute great addition to the schedule.

I would also like to see a FBS team on our schedule every year, regardless of whether they are power five or not.

• Information