Transfer - LB Paul Engram

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
isuquinndog
Site Admin
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 pm
Location: Normal, IL
Contact:

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:22 pm

Paul Engram, a junior college linebacker who started at Western Michigan, has committed to sign with Illinois State football.

LET'S WIN THIS GAME!

User avatar
Total Red
Freshman
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:40 pm

What took so long? Barry announced he was leaving days ago :lol:

DannyCooksey
Sophomore
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:51 pm

does this mean he began his career at Western Michigan or does it mean he was a STARTING player at Western Michigan?

not trying to be a smart-a$$. either way. good sounding player.

User avatar
Total Red
Freshman
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:29 pm

DannyCooksey wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:51 pm
does this mean he began his career at Western Michigan or does it mean he was a STARTING player at Western Michigan?

not trying to be a smart-a$$. either way. good sounding player.
Fair question. I'm not finding any stats for him at WMU so I believe he began his career at WMU but he was not a starter and he has played very little. But remember, BJ Bello hadn't played much either.

User avatar
TIMMY
Sophomore
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: 1050 W Addison

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:42 pm

Started his career at WMU. Did not play.
https://www.hudl.com/profile/3051626/Paul-Engram
Should have 2 years left.
Played at COD last year.
http://www.njcaa.org/sports/fball/2017- ... engramug19
Image

ChiRedbirdfan
Senior
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:58 pm

DannyCooksey wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:51 pm
does this mean he began his career at Western Michigan or does it mean he was a STARTING player at Western Michigan?

not trying to be a smart-a$$. either way. good sounding player.
Laughing as I had the same exact thought!

MadBird
Sophomore
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:50 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Here's a little more, from his WMU signing. Not sure that this is a game changer, so to speak, but the more we have on board the better, I guess:

https://www.hustlebelt.com/wmu-broncos/ ... commits-to
The Loyola, Michigan native also holds an offer from Eastern Illinois. He's considered a Top-50 prospect in the state of Michigan.

Despite his smaller frame for a middle linebacker, Engram packs a mighty punch when he hits. He has good instincts, and wraps up while driving through the ball carrier well, but the smaller frame combine with less than ideal agility and athleticism are likely why he's not ranked higher and seeing more offers

fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 975
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:34 pm

MadBird wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:48 pm
Here's a little more, from his WMU signing. Not sure that this is a game changer, so to speak, but the more we have on board the better, I guess:

https://www.hustlebelt.com/wmu-broncos/ ... commits-to
The Loyola, Michigan native also holds an offer from Eastern Illinois. He's considered a Top-50 prospect in the state of Michigan.

Despite his smaller frame for a middle linebacker, Engram packs a mighty punch when he hits. He has good instincts, and wraps up while driving through the ball carrier well, but the smaller frame combine with less than ideal agility and athleticism are likely why he's not ranked higher and seeing more offers
so his HS scouting report (i.e. "smaller frame" comment) was based on him weighing 200 lbs in HS. He apparently took the comment to heart and is now up to 235 lbs ... more than big enough for D-I now. We'll see what hi agility looks like .. but we've had MLBs who were not very fast and did quite well.

I think we have ourselves a serious hitter .. if he knows the position, his lack of athleticism will be less of an issue.

Welcome to Redbird Nation Paul Engram .. we love defense here .. be ready to work !!
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 975
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:56 am

just watched his video closer ... I like this guy. Not real agile, but very tough, seems to have good footwork and willingness to read plays ... and he is a serious hitter.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

JHBird
Sophomore
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:05 am

Watching his HS highlights he looked bigger than 205 lbs. Kinda reminded me a bit of Tyree Horton. If he can play anything like Tyree then he's a big plus. Both are big hitters.

DannyCooksey
Sophomore
Posts: 408
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:18 am

fourthandshort wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:56 am
just watched his video closer ... I like this guy. Not real agile, but very tough, seems to have good footwork and willingness to read plays ... and he is a serious hitter.
that's my personal #1 criteria for a LB. gotta be a hitter.

User avatar
TIMMY
Sophomore
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: 1050 W Addison

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:29 am

I'm looking forward to watching Paul for the next 2 years. JC football is about dead in Illinois. COD has done an incredible job keeping their program alive. When you look at their schedule, well, it's pretty weak. It includes a couple D3 JV teams. We'll see how Paul transitions. Water seeks it's own level. He's a tough kid and should do well.
Image

fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 975
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:56 am

Agree with Horton comparison, though Horton was clearly more accomplished. This guy looks like a diamond in the rough. And he's was good enough at 205 lbs in HS to get a schollie from a top flight MAC school .. his story reads like he fell thru the cracks .. size, speed .. or maybe grades were also an issue. Fleck had lot of Chicago area connections .. maybe that is how a Detroit kid who went to WMU, wound up at COD.

Either way, this guy can hit .. like most transfers, he'll need to acclimate to system, so he needs to deal with that initially. I really hope they squeezed him in time for spring term .. i.e.e spring ball .. hugely important for transfers to be here for spring ball. Plus need to get him used to our academic expectations & support.

Anyone know if he is here for spring ??
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

User avatar
isuquinndog
Site Admin
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 pm
Location: Normal, IL
Contact:

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:03 pm

DannyCooksey wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:18 am
fourthandshort wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:56 am
just watched his video closer ... I like this guy. Not real agile, but very tough, seems to have good footwork and willingness to read plays ... and he is a serious hitter.
that's my personal #1 criteria for a LB. gotta be a hitter.
Hitting and intelligence. In my opinion, the smartest guys on the defense have to be the LB'ers. If they don't do the right thing, you are in trouble.
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!

ISUBU
Freshman
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:04 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:56 am


Anyone know if he is here for spring ??
Doesn't appear to be, but technically a student could still add classes with departmental permission. Sometimes international students are delayed, and arrive this late. We're one week into the semester.

I remember a player years ago transferring into the program in the fall after classes had begun...and actually after the season had begun. More rules make that more difficult these days. Anyway, the player who joined the team in the second week of September, ended up starting most of the games and dominating.

User avatar
Chi-bird
Sophomore
Posts: 266
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:20 pm

He looks like a throwback "Mike" from the 1980s.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 5 guests