Defensive Coaching Changes

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

User avatar
Total Red
Freshman
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:39 pm

:P am being told that Pam Merna has now left to pursue better professional opportunities.....

In a somewhat related matter Larry Lyons announced a new revenue stream for the athletic dept. leasing unused office space in the Kaufman Bldg. :P

fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 976
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:44 pm

Total Red wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:39 pm
:P am being told that Pam Merna has now left to pursue better professional opportunities.....

In a somewhat related matter Larry Lyons announced a new revenue stream for the athletic dept. leasing unused office space in the Kaufman Bldg. :P
stop the carnage !!!!!!!!!

Pam ????????

p.s. seriously .. are you serious or kidding ?
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

User avatar
Total Red
Freshman
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:48 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:44 pm
Total Red wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:39 pm
:P am being told that Pam Merna has now left to pursue better professional opportunities.....

In a somewhat related matter Larry Lyons announced a new revenue stream for the athletic dept. leasing unused office space in the Kaufman Bldg. :P
stop the carnage !!!!!!!!!

Pam ????????

p.s. seriously .. are you serious or kidding ?
Fake news :P Pam will never leave.

fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 976
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:58 pm

Total Red wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:48 pm
fourthandshort wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:44 pm
Total Red wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:39 pm
:P am being told that Pam Merna has now left to pursue better professional opportunities.....

In a somewhat related matter Larry Lyons announced a new revenue stream for the athletic dept. leasing unused office space in the Kaufman Bldg. :P
stop the carnage !!!!!!!!!

Pam ????????

p.s. seriously .. are you serious or kidding ?
Fake news :P Pam will never leave.
dude ... you took this too far this time !!! :x

Pam is seriously part of the Redbird fabric .. everyone loves Pam.

Ignore the ticking noise next time you start your car ... it will be over very quickly for you.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

ChiRedbirdfan
Senior
Posts: 840
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:56 pm

saxman210 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:31 pm
Morans14 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:56 pm
saxman210 wrote:
If true....I don’t consider it a “higher level of football”
It's FBS. The campus is beautiful. A lot of successful coaches have come from there. I am from that part of Ohio so I have a little bias but I do consider it a step up for Spence.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True. And I’ve heard that it is a beautiful campus. But I’d put our Redbirds against any MAC team and I bet we’d win 75% of the games played. That’s my only dig at “higher level of football.”
Beautiful campus and far superior academics and indeed higher level of football. No doubt a step up.

So how many points will ISU be favored by next year when the play NIU?

User avatar
Total Red
Freshman
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:08 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:58 pm

dude ... you took this too far this time !!! :x

Pam is seriously part of the Redbird fabric .. everyone loves Pam.

Ignore the ticking noise next time you start your car ... it will be over very quickly for you.
Knowledgeable sources are reporting that fourthandshort is leaving RBF.net citing "irreconcilable differences with a fellow poster prone to fake news". :P

cpacmel
Junior
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:29 pm

Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:26 pm

ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:56 pm
Beautiful campus and far superior academics and indeed higher level of football. No doubt a step up.
ISU has a Sagarin rating of 106. Miami of Ohio's is 110.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/s ... 2017/team/
So how many points will ISU be favored by next year when the play NIU?
Hard to say. Especially since we don't play NIU til 2019 :oops:

Reggie Redbird
Sophomore
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:02 pm

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:33 am

cpacmel wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:26 pm
ChiRedbirdfan wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:56 pm
Beautiful campus and far superior academics and indeed higher level of football. No doubt a step up.
ISU has a Sagarin rating of 106. Miami of Ohio's is 110.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/s ... 2017/team/
So how many points will ISU be favored by next year when the play NIU?
Hard to say. Especially since we don't play NIU til 2019 :oops:
The key question though is the salary for the Redbirds' DC and Redhawks' DC. If you make $125k here and $200k there, that's a big difference. Nowinsky would have much more stability in job here, but sometimes you have to take a big leap of faith if you want to move up.

We definitely have a lot of guys who could come back in 3...5...7 years and take over for Spack. You would now have two of them on the Miami OH coaching roster in Nowinsky and Barnett as options.

redbirddad10
Freshman
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:30 pm

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:54 am

Big fan of Coach Nowinsky, great tenure at ISU but its a part of life that your best are going to move on. I was surprised Coach Spack held on to him for this long. I do believe this was a critical season for the program and was not considered a "successful" season by any standard. It was time for some major changes.

cpacmel
Junior
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:29 pm

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:03 am

Reggie Redbird wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:33 am

The key question though is the salary for the Redbirds' DC and Redhawks' DC. If you make $125k here and $200k there, that's a big difference. Nowinsky would have much more stability in job here, but sometimes you have to take a big leap of faith if you want to move up.
There is no doubt it’s a step up salary wise. Quality of football is somewhat debatable.

If Miami of Ohio goes under .500 this next year, there very well could be a coaching change their.

TheTruth
Freshman
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:37 pm

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:25 am

They've been playing football since 1887, but this is where Illinois State is at on the college football food chain.... that's sad.

MadBird
Sophomore
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:50 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:36 am

cpacmel wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:03 am
Reggie Redbird wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:33 am

The key question though is the salary for the Redbirds' DC and Redhawks' DC. If you make $125k here and $200k there, that's a big difference. Nowinsky would have much more stability in job here, but sometimes you have to take a big leap of faith if you want to move up.
There is no doubt it’s a step up salary wise. Quality of football is somewhat debatable.

If Miami of Ohio goes under .500 this next year, there very well could be a coaching change their.
As usual, cpacmel is onto something - HC Chuck Martin is 16-33 in 4 years at Miami, never over .500, altho 6-2 in conference last year and a trip to the St. Petersburg Bowl. Could be a short stay for Coach Nowinsky, which makes the move all the more curiouser.

Reggie Redbird
Sophomore
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:02 pm

Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:42 pm

MadBird wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:36 am
cpacmel wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:03 am
Reggie Redbird wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:33 am

The key question though is the salary for the Redbirds' DC and Redhawks' DC. If you make $125k here and $200k there, that's a big difference. Nowinsky would have much more stability in job here, but sometimes you have to take a big leap of faith if you want to move up.
There is no doubt it’s a step up salary wise. Quality of football is somewhat debatable.

If Miami of Ohio goes under .500 this next year, there very well could be a coaching change their.
As usual, cpacmel is onto something - HC Chuck Martin is 16-33 in 4 years at Miami, never over .500, altho 6-2 in conference last year and a trip to the St. Petersburg Bowl. Could be a short stay for Coach Nowinsky, which makes the move all the more curiouser.
Miami OH's scheduling this year and the next few makes it a bit more difficult right now to have a winning record unless they win a larger majority of their conference games. Even if they go 6-2 in conference, they're looking at 7-5 or 8-4 at best. The 8-4 is probably them beating a team they aren't a favorite to beat. Unless they are a MAC East contender or beat two of Minny/Army/Cinci/Marshall, I doubt they'll be better than 6-6 or 7-5. Their 2019: at Iowa, Home vs Presbyterian, at Cinci, and at Ohio State.

Looking at Chuck Martin's contract, I'm surprised he left ND for this job. Sure, he's a HC but he did take a $200,000 paycut to make the move:

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-chuck ... ncaaf.html

Miami OH has to remember they hired this coach to take over an 0-12 team and he has them trending up these last two years from what they were when he started. One thing to consider is that our WBB coach could very well be 22-38 after her first two years here and that would still be progress from what we were under Barb Smith. The key is what you're doing in that 3rd season - getting to around .500 (or better) and then starting to churn out winning records. Martin did slightly drop from 6-7 to 5-7 and had a couple bad losses, but it's a lot better than what they were.

User avatar
TIMMY
Sophomore
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: 1050 W Addison

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am

One school draws between 12K & 22K The other between 7K and 12K
One school plays non con Cincinnati and Notre Dame. The other EIU and NAU.
One school has an indoor facility The other...
One is 1A the other is 1AA
Easy choice.
Image

fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 976
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:38 am

TIMMY wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am
One school draws between 12K & 22K The other between 7K and 12K
One school plays non con Cincinnati and Notre Dame. The other EIU and NAU.
One school has an indoor facility The other... is hinting at the consideration of possibly putting together a draft plan to explore options for practice facility sometime in next century .. maybe.
One is 1A the other is 1AA
Easy choice.
finished it for you .... :D
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

User avatar
TIMMY
Sophomore
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:28 pm
Location: 1050 W Addison

Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:50 am

fourthandshort wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:38 am
TIMMY wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am
One school draws between 12K & 22K The other between 7K and 12K
One school plays non con Cincinnati and Notre Dame. The other EIU and NAU.
One school has an indoor facility The other... is hinting at the consideration of possibly putting together a draft plan to explore options for practice facility sometime in next century .. maybe.
One is 1A the other is 1AA
Easy choice.
finished it for you .... :D
preciate it. :lol:
Image

fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 976
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:00 am

TIMMY wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:50 am
fourthandshort wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:38 am
TIMMY wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:26 am
One school draws between 12K & 22K The other between 7K and 12K
One school plays non con Cincinnati and Notre Dame. The other EIU and NAU.
One school has an indoor facility The other... is hinting at the consideration of possibly putting together a draft plan to explore options for practice facility sometime in next century .. maybe.
One is 1A the other is 1AA
Easy choice.
finished it for you .... :D
preciate it. :lol:
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

dpdoughbird06
Freshman
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:21 am

Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:48 pm

Mike Banks moving on up! Did we have OLB/MLB Coaches distinction before? IIRC Coach Schoonover handled all LBs, as well as Special Teams.

http://www.goredbirds.com/news/2018/1/9 ... state.aspx

MadBird
Sophomore
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:50 pm
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:15 pm

dpdoughbird06 wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:48 pm
Mike Banks moving on up! Did we have OLB/MLB Coaches distinction before? IIRC Coach Schoonover handled all LBs, as well as Special Teams.

http://www.goredbirds.com/news/2018/1/9 ... state.aspx
I think we can assume Mike Banks will put the same heart and soul into coaching that he did into playing, and he was one of the very best we've ever had. He believes in ISU, and that's not a bad thing in an assistant coach. I'll also sing one of my favorite tunes - nice to have an assistant with roots in Chicago and especially in the Chicago Catholic League and specifically Mount Carmel. Can't hurt recruiting one bit.

fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 976
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:45 pm

4 year starter at cornerback ... oh he'll yeah !!
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests