If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Offseason Wish List

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

Reggie Redbird
Sophomore

Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:18 am

fourthandshort wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:02 pm
MadBird wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:48 pm
fourthandshort wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:54 pm

41% completion rate, 83% QBR, problems with coach .. seems like a stretch project with just 2 years left. I think we need better prospect if we're going to upset the QB apple cart.
Yeah, while Croft has some natural fit with ISU (from Rockford), he really scuffled at UM. It may have to do with the relationship with the coach, a bad fit, etc., but watching him, he really didn't look all that good. I don't know, maybe a fresh start would be good. I'm underwhelmed.

Also, see 3 guys announced bail out from Champaign-Urbana: LB Tre Watson, from Tampa, who'll be a graduate transfer; OL Gabe Megginson, from Jacksonville, IL., who would have 2 years to play if I read it right, at least at FCS level; punter Bryce Baringer, who the Tribune lists as a walk-on freshman from Waterford, Michigan.
LB Tre Watson was decent starter .. maybe he saw what BJ Bello did after just 1 year here. I'll take him in a second. He would have been on roster with Bello for 2014 and 2015, before Bello transferred to ISU for 2016 ... there is no way he didn't notice Bello making Browns active roster after riding bench for 4 years at U of I.

And it looks like we need a punter for sure, and then could always use another OL in mix.
We do have a punter on the roster. Going by yardage, Bohlken was also 5 yards longer per punt average than Breen.

JHBird
Junior

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:21 am

TheTruth wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:48 pm

-The field moved 5-7 yards to the south when the new turf is put in.
That's interesting. What will that do for us, allow us to build some kind of seating on the North end (instead of grass)?

JHBird
Junior

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:24 am

MadBird wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:48 pm
fourthandshort wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:54 pm
ThisIsTheLineup wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:00 pm
For those wanting a transfer QB...

http://www.mystateline.com/sports/croft ... /865955761
41% completion rate, 83% QBR, problems with coach .. seems like a stretch project with just 2 years left. I think we need better prospect if we're going to upset the QB apple cart.
Yeah, while Croft has some natural fit with ISU (from Rockford), he really scuffled at UM. It may have to do with the relationship with the coach, a bad fit, etc., but watching him, he really didn't look all that good. I don't know, maybe a fresh start would be good. I'm underwhelmed.

Also, see 3 guys announced bail out from Champaign-Urbana: LB Tre Watson, from Tampa, who'll be a graduate transfer; OL Gabe Megginson, from Jacksonville, IL., who would have 2 years to play if I read it right, at least at FCS level; punter Bryce Baringer, who the Tribune lists as a walk-on freshman from Waterford, Michigan.
Didn't know Megginson was from Jacksonville IL. That's where Dalton Keane is from. They must have played together, I'm thinking. I'm liking our chances more and more.

JHBird
Junior

Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:28 am

At the North Dakota State game the wind was really whipping my bones. I thought it would be great if we had a large wall on the north side to break the wind. A student next to me liked the idea. He said we should build a wall and make North Dakota State pay for it.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
Freshman

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:47 am

Purdue job about to be open, Brohm looking like Tennessee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adunk33
Senior

Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:55 am

Jesus Shuttlesworth wrote:

I hope coach doesn't consider it. It would be the perfect storm of dumpster fire: Losing 4 coaches including the HC in a matter of a month. It'd be like when the basketball team lost Haynes and Yak, while finding out Copeland was ineligible, and Elijah got hurt.

GratefulRed
Freshman

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:12 am

Purdue doesn’t want a FCS coach that went 6-5 in conference. I don’t event think he was in their top 4 last year.

StLRedbird
Sophomore

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:14 am

Adunk33 wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:55 am

I hope coach doesn't consider it. It would be the perfect storm of dumpster fire: Losing 4 coaches including the HC in a matter of a month. It'd be like when the basketball team lost Haynes and Yak, while finding out Copeland was ineligible, and Elijah got hurt.
Uh oh

PurpleRedbird
Freshman

Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:24 am

Yeah I don't see Purdue looking at Brock now.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

TheTruth
Freshman

Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:31 pm

JHBird wrote:
TheTruth wrote:

That's interesting. What will that do for us, allow us to build some kind of seating on the North end (instead of grass)?
First, it will allow us to have more (higher revenue generating) sideline seats, when they finally get the horseshoe in there. Secondly, it will give us more options when the time comes they have to build "up" on the east side (upper deck, etc.). The Kaufman Building was not put in the correct spot. There's a reason you don't see other schools configure their football buildings like that.

fourthandshort
Senior

Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:21 pm

TheTruth wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:31 pm
JHBird wrote:
TheTruth wrote:

First, it will allow us to have more (higher revenue generating) sideline seats, when they finally get the horseshoe in there. Secondly, it will give us more options when the time comes they have to build "up" on the east side (upper deck, etc.). The Kaufman Building was not put in the correct spot. There's a reason you don't see other schools configure their football buildings like that.
makes sense .. all valid points. I assume coaches wanted Kaufman there for convenience .. overlooking field. But eventually, it will just prove to be in the way .. time will tell. But true horseshoe would fill in south end zone, and partly turn corner (45 degrees) in north end zone. That Kaufman placement was a bit short sighted.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

TIMMY
Junior

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:44 am

Moving the field makes total sense but it would come at a cost. They redid the entire infrastructure the last time they did the field. I doubt that's happening this time.They would need to redo some of that to move the field. Certainly worth it in the long run but, "Hello Larry".

TheTruth
Freshman

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:32 am

TIMMY wrote:
Moving the field makes total sense but it would come at a cost. They redid the entire infrastructure the last time they did the field. I doubt that's happening this time.They would need to redo some of that to move the field. Certainly worth it in the long run but, "Hello Larry".
That's a good point and to be honest the field wouldn't need to be moved until they were ready to start with the south end horseshoe. Given how slowly the wheels turn at Illinois State and the fact that Larry will most likely be easing into retirement after the IPF is done, I think the time for horseshoe construction will fall outside of the average life expectancy of the new turf..... as depressing as that is.

Birdfan 4Life
Freshman

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:48 pm

https://goo.gl/images/4s1vQq The following image is pre Hancock 2.0. From what I am seeing I don't see how you would ever want to move the field South whatsoever from what was being taken up by the old Zoo Student Section.

The way the stands sit I think it is perfect right now and why a Horseshoe in the South Endzone is the logical next stadium expansion, and more expansive Tents/Temporary seating until that day should be happening and pushed by Athletics.
https://goo.gl/images/tkhysy
https://goo.gl/images/LT9Jp1

Larry and Athletics have said they want in this order: IPF, South Horseshoe, and eventually way down the line to tear down Horton when it's time to build a true Home Side on the West side. I don't see how you move the field South when you have Turner Hall in the way. It's already going to be a tight fit if you do the Horseshoe right and make it uniform height with what we have on the 2.0 side. The Horseshoe has never been talked about for the North Endzone but I'm all for chopping those Evergreen Trees down and doing some kind of Tailgate Tent Zone/Club for donors that want to pony up.

http://maps.illinoisstate.edu/locations/kaufman/ - The Kaufman Football building is going to be 18 years old this upcoming football season ( I think it has aged really really well! ). By the time we ever get around to building anything substantial on the North Endzone that building will probably be 40 years old and ready to be retired...or Football Locker Rooms/Weight Rooms/Coaches Offices should have moved to where the Indoor Facility eventually gets built.

There also is plenty of room to not do a full Horseshoe in the North Endzone and just build North Stands that hug up close to Kaufman down the road.
"“I think Illinois State has a lot of potential in football that has been untapped. When it comes time to move up to [the Bowl series level], it will happen, I truly believe that with my heart." - Al Bowman April 15, 2011

TheTruth
Freshman

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:41 am

Birdfan 4Life wrote:
Larry and Athletics have said they want in this order: IPF, South Horseshoe, and eventually way down the line to tear down Horton when it's time to build a true Home Side on the West side.
I remember reading where he said that and I guess that's when I really lost any faith in him. The answer to when we should make improvements to Hancock (or any facility) is never "way down the line", it needs to always be "when we can get the money". We need to be in a CONSTANT facilities upgrade mode to make up the hole that's been dug by prior administrations.

Birdfan 4Life wrote:
I don't see how you move the field South when you have Turner Hall in the way. It's already going to be a tight fit if you do the Horseshoe right and make it uniform height with what we have on the 2.0 side. The Horseshoe has never been talked about for the North Endzone but I'm all for chopping those Evergreen Trees down and doing some kind of Tailgate Tent Zone/Club for donors that want to pony up.

Agreed, it will be a tight fit but remember there's nothing to say it has to be a uniform height. Besides, moving the field does give you the ability to maximize the number of sideline seats. The tent zone/club seating in the north endzone is a wonderful idea and I'd love to see them explore it.

fourthandshort
Senior

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:52 am

With regard to moving the field a few yards further south, I;m starting to think not. I looked more closely at the new east side placement and noticed 2 things that would suggest the field will NOT be moved and that Kaufman will probably come down at some point:

1. Note the new East side stands are NOT centered with field .. it is about 10 yards further to south as is .. which MIGHT suggest field could be moved south, except that it is currently in perfect position to turn the corner to do south end zone.

2. Note the 4 entry points to East Side stands ARE already perfectly centered on the field; and the north most entry is on outside of section .. whereas the south most entry is not on outside.

This to me suggests they do plan to possibly add another East side section to north, which would mean Kaufmann would have to come down at some point when thy finish the north end zone .. which is probably a phase 3 or 4 idea behind the southend zone and the West side (i.e. Horton demolition).

Look at a picture of east side stands and note how stand are centered versus the 4 entry points. We know they built this as a phase 1 with future phases in mind.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

TIMMY
Junior

Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:05 pm

TheTruth wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:32 am
TIMMY wrote:
That's a good point and to be honest the field wouldn't need to be moved until they were ready to start with the south end horseshoe. Given how slowly the wheels turn at Illinois State and the fact that Larry will most likely be easing into retirement after the IPF is done, I think the time for horseshoe construction will fall outside of the average life expectancy of the new turf..... as depressing as that is.
I think it will fall outside of the average life expectancy of me. :lol:

TreRoberson4Heisman
Sophomore

Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:17 pm

We’ve tossed around the thought of a FBS QB. With that, any Redbird insiders have a clue if Croft will even be visiting ISU?

DannyCooksey
Junior

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:41 am

TreRoberson4Heisman wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:17 pm

We’ve tossed around the thought of a FBS QB. With that, any Redbird insiders have a clue if Croft will even be visiting ISU?
He's already red-shirted at Minny so he has to be going FCS to play in 2018. HCBS is a Rockford native and so is a certain running back that just made 1st team All-MVC. I have ZERO inside knowledge. just connecting some dots.

BallwinBird2012
Freshman

Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:07 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:52 am
With regard to moving the field a few yards further south, I;m starting to think not. I looked more closely at the new east side placement and noticed 2 things that would suggest the field will NOT be moved and that Kaufman will probably come down at some point:
Interesting take on Kaufman coming down. I've wondered myself what all will be included with the proposed IPF. Lots of the indoor facilities are becoming more than just an indoor practice field, but are also including things like locker rooms, weight rooms, and coaches offices. It would certainly be nice to have an "all inclusive" football facility, although that would obviously drive the cost WAY up and move the timeline back that much farther.

Something even remotely close to this would be sweet...

http://timetoshinememphis.com/galleries#football

• Information