Offseason Wish List

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

Birdfan 4Life
Freshman

Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:50 am

Some great news from this season!

Ticket Revenue was up around 15% over last year with 1 less Home game.

Next year we have 6 home games again along with an FBS payout at Colorado St.

Have to take advantage now of planning more elaborate premium seating and bleachers for next year! Keep selling a better experience each year and ISU football will continue to rise.
"“I think Illinois State has a lot of potential in football that has been untapped. When it comes time to move up to [the Bowl series level], it will happen, I truly believe that with my heart." - Al Bowman April 15, 2011

fourthandshort
Senior

Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:20 pm

Birdfan 4Life wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:50 am
Some great news from this season!

Ticket Revenue was up around 15% over last year with 1 less Home game.

Next year we have 6 home games again along with an FBS payout at Colorado St.

Have to take advantage now of planning more elaborate premium seating and bleachers for next year! Keep selling a better experience each year and ISU football will continue to rise.
good news indeed .. though I believe we raised prices on season tickets to prevent a short fall given just 5 games. But still good news for couple reasons .. this past season, we took 3 hits to our P&L: 1) no FBS payday, 2) only 5 home dates, and 3) had to fly to NAU

Next year, assuming we replace St Xavier with a home game, none of the 3 hits happen form revenue & expense standpoint. Even if we are forced to replace St Xavier with road game, it is possibly a bus trip .. but still have the FBS pay day.

I love your temporary bleacher/suite construction idea from the Phoenix Open ... not sure it is ready for prime time next fall, but if they got way out front of this, and were able to plan/budget/market this right for 2 or 3 key games .. they could charge a little more for this package given they would all be key event/big games. They could make the pricing on 3rd game inclusion contingent on interest level. Have to be able to cover constructions costs over 2 games, or be forced to add a 3rd game .. which might reduce demand and sales. That said, I think a lot of people would be willing to buy 3 game premium package for south end zone seating/booth concept.

Timing could be right for 2018 .. if not, then plan this for 2019 and do it right. Assuming budget for south end zone temporary construction makes sense (i.e. break even is good enough !!) then this is great way to get attendance numbers pushed to 15k level for big event games.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

TheTruth
Freshman

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:48 pm

-A new AD & a radically restructured athletic dept.
-OC that can maximize Hatfield's ability (he's the immediate future).
-New home unis. Love the red on red just not what we have. Maybe a matte red helmet.
-Announcement of a groundbreaking date for IPF.
-At least one WR transfer.
-At least one OL transfer.
-The field moved 5-7 yards to the south when the new turf is put in.
-Renderings of the southside horseshoe.
-Elimination of the "Mid-America Classic"
-People realize how stupid Roll Birds" sounds and stop it.
Last edited by TheTruth on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

TIMMY
Freshman

Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:37 pm

Watching Saints-Rams and noticed this.
https://www.athleticbusiness.com/stadiu ... ating.html

Birdfan 4Life
Freshman

Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:39 pm

TIMMY wrote:
Good Find!

That’s even less complicated then building up but much more put together than what we are currently doing.

The reasons for making this a bigger deal are numerous. Most of all besides potential increased money now...getting more of our potential fans accustomed with premium seating. A lot of our fans are used to paying $$$ for sports in Chicago. $50-100/person for a premium experience isn’t asking a lot if done right.

Our current Club and Suites are great, but the problem is they are limited and Sold Out. Lay the ground work now and future expansion involving Club/Lodge/Suites will be much easier and come potentially sooner.

Build it and we will come.
"“I think Illinois State has a lot of potential in football that has been untapped. When it comes time to move up to [the Bowl series level], it will happen, I truly believe that with my heart." - Al Bowman April 15, 2011

TIMMY
Freshman

Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:25 am

You've gotta spend $ to make $. 12-13K for a few games. As was already said kick it up to 15-16K if you have the seats.
I also like what was said about Weavers and paving all of the gravel mess. It is the gateway to campus and it looks like crap.

fourthandshort
Senior

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:23 am

TIMMY wrote:
definitely like this look as temporary structure for Hancock south end zone. Though could also envision this a permanent structure. But must say this looks kind of stupid inside USC's stadium .. temporary seats blocks view of the permanent seats.

But I'm still thinking of this as temporary and transitional solution to maximize ticket sales for big event games .. temporary like they do at Phoenix open. Then when we're ready, we fill in end zone with continuous seating connecting west side to east side ... that is, complete the so-called horseshoe look.

TIMMY
Freshman

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:51 am

fourthandshort wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:23 am
TIMMY wrote:
definitely like this look as temporary structure for Hancock south end zone. Though could also envision this a permanent structure. But must say this looks kind of stupid inside USC's stadium .. temporary seats blocks view of the permanent seats.

But I'm still thinking of this as temporary and transitional solution to maximize ticket sales for big event games .. temporary like they do at Phoenix open. Then when we're ready, we fill in end zone with continuous seating connecting west side to east side ... that is, complete the so-called horseshoe look.
The field in the coliseum is not centered so they've had temporary seats in the east end zone as lone as I can remember. The old ones were awesome seats. They remove them for concerts. It reminds me of the temps the Bears put up when they moved to Soldier Field, the old temps from Wrigley.
The people in LA are willing to pay for the "toes on the turf" experience. I think those boxes would be an easy sell for ISU. Really close to the field. I also think having end zone seats would be a plus. I prefer them. But I watch line play to the ball. It's a pretty cost effective way of generating cash. Why the hell not?

McHalesNavy
Freshman

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:03 am

BallwinBird2012 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:07 pm
WIth the season basically over, thought it might be fun to get this in one thread. In no particular order:

-OC with previous D1 coaching experience (preferably).
-New home unis. Don't care for the red on red personally. The road white/white/white has got to be one of the best looks in football though.
-One red stripe down the middle of the helmet.
-An actual draw-up/concept on a new indoor facility that isn't just a picture of Youngstown State's facility with a pic of Reggie over the "Y".
-New turf. Yes, I know this is actually happening. I personally like the alternating darker/lighter green ever 5 yards. Would settle for a little more color in the end zones...Don't care which way Reggie's head faces...
-WR transfer (or two).
-Open QB competition.
-Turnover Calzone. Every time someone on D gets a turnover, they get a calzone right there on the sidelines. Who needs a stupid chain?...
Speaking of transfer WR, what the hell happened to Hadden, the WR from FAU? Never heard his name once this season...
Formerly known as Birds128

Birdfan 4Life
Freshman

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:29 am

https://stadium.colostate.edu/vip/ - DESTIHL's Wild Sour Porch/Club/Experience would be a great partnership between ISU and a Homegrown Brewery. https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/ ... ard-w.html - ISU should jump on the train...it's a Win-Win that could grow into something much more down the line.

The easiest thing on the field suites is making them deeper/longer and not as wide. You have tons of room to go back and not every single person that gets into the tented area is going to need or want to be watching football the entire time. Adding TV's would be a nice touch so you can see the action throughout/sell at a premium.

This past year the 2 Field Level Suites each cost $1,750 for a game and came with 50 tickets, 7 parking passes, and a catered meal from Alexander's Steak House or Famous Dave's (all for $35 a ticket theoretically). I think you will find a lot more people can come up with 10-20 people over 50 people for a game and you can make more money with 10 of these over 2.

If you have a common Tented "Club" area behind this that people can get food and drinks with little to no view of the game I think that is fine. Provide stands in the corners and people can choose to watch the game so you don't get rid of the Heller Stores Terrace.

The North Endzone is set up much better for Standing Room Only/Grass seating with the Berm look already. If the South Endzone Club area is successful you can think of doing something similar in the North Endzone.

Birdfan 4Life
Freshman

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:51 am

TIMMY wrote:
http://usctrojans.com/sports/2017/8/11/ ... ences.aspx - Finished product from 2017...I would definitely say nothing all that special but worthwhile.

Birdfan 4Life
Freshman

Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:00 pm

http://letsgopeay.com/news/2017/7/19/at ... adium.aspx

Austin Peay got creative for this last football season...repurposing old shipping containers with http://www.boxlifeusa.com/. Viewing deck on top of the structure is a nice touch.

TIMMY
Freshman

Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:36 pm

even if the cash from the boxes evens out, the extra end zone seats puts this over the top. If Larry gets on this now I can see him getting this done for the 2023 season.

TheTruth
Freshman

Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:50 pm

TIMMY wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:36 pm
If Larry gets on this now I can see him getting this done for the 2023 season.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ThisIsTheLineup
Sophomore

Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:00 pm

DannyCooksey
Sophomore

Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:15 pm

ThisIsTheLineup wrote:
For those wanting a transfer QB...

http://www.mystateline.com/sports/croft ... /865955761
Yes please.

fourthandshort
Senior

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:54 pm

ThisIsTheLineup wrote:

41% completion rate, 83% QBR, problems with coach .. seems like a stretch project with just 2 years left. I think we need better prospect if we're going to upset the QB apple cart.

MadBird
Sophomore

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:48 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
ThisIsTheLineup wrote:

41% completion rate, 83% QBR, problems with coach .. seems like a stretch project with just 2 years left. I think we need better prospect if we're going to upset the QB apple cart.
Yeah, while Croft has some natural fit with ISU (from Rockford), he really scuffled at UM. It may have to do with the relationship with the coach, a bad fit, etc., but watching him, he really didn't look all that good. I don't know, maybe a fresh start would be good. I'm underwhelmed.

Also, see 3 guys announced bail out from Champaign-Urbana: LB Tre Watson, from Tampa, who'll be a graduate transfer; OL Gabe Megginson, from Jacksonville, IL., who would have 2 years to play if I read it right, at least at FCS level; punter Bryce Baringer, who the Tribune lists as a walk-on freshman from Waterford, Michigan.

fourthandshort
Senior

Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:02 pm

MadBird wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:48 pm
fourthandshort wrote:
ThisIsTheLineup wrote:

Yeah, while Croft has some natural fit with ISU (from Rockford), he really scuffled at UM. It may have to do with the relationship with the coach, a bad fit, etc., but watching him, he really didn't look all that good. I don't know, maybe a fresh start would be good. I'm underwhelmed.

Also, see 3 guys announced bail out from Champaign-Urbana: LB Tre Watson, from Tampa, who'll be a graduate transfer; OL Gabe Megginson, from Jacksonville, IL., who would have 2 years to play if I read it right, at least at FCS level; punter Bryce Baringer, who the Tribune lists as a walk-on freshman from Waterford, Michigan.
LB Tre Watson was decent starter .. maybe he saw what BJ Bello did after just 1 year here. I'll take him in a second. He would have been on roster with Bello for 2014 and 2015, before Bello transferred to ISU for 2016 ... there is no way he didn't notice Bello making Browns active roster after riding bench for 4 years at U of I.

And it looks like we need a punter for sure, and then could always use another OL in mix.

TIMMY
Freshman

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:11 am

I'd take Croft in a nanosecond. He can run and throw. I don't care what his numbers show. His receivers were terrible and his oline a sieve. No wait, sieves slow things down a little.
If he thought he was unfairly suspended (and he was) and knows he's going to get the crap kicked out of him for the next 2 years I can't blame him for getting out of dodge.
Our last transfer QB worked out OK.
Get him here for spring ball.

• Information