Davontae Harris

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

User avatar
TreRoberson4Heisman
Sophomore
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:56 pm

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:12 pm

People can look at measurables all they want. At the end of day, the game film is all that matters. Hope he gets drafted, just not to my team.

DannyCooksey
Sophomore
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:57 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:58 am
DannyCooksey wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:24 am
fourthandshort wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:47 am


I assume he would have to put on some weight .. his frame is little thin for next level safety. But I bet he would do well. He'll also do well on special teams .. he runs a 4.53 which is good, not great, except he seems to have very good game speed and burst.

Going to be interesting to see how he does .. and if it exposes our cover schemes and techniques as a problem when we play strong pocket passing systems.
To be clear---that 4.53 time is an estimated guess. No official times are on this site until after the combine and/or private workout. I am not sure if they do 40 times during the E-W Shrine practices.

I am thinking with workouts designed to have the best 40 time possible leading up to personal testing that Davontae will run closer to 4.4 than 4.53. I also think his arm measurements will be key to staying at corner. He's at least 5'11 if not 6'0 and if his arms are 32"+ then there are a lot of teams that will like him as a press man corner at the next level.

To me his draft status will be dependent on 4 things:

1---his hips---can he turn and run quickly and with fluid movement?
2---straight line speed---the 40 time will be crucial for him.
3--his height---if he measures at least 5'11 (which i think he will) he's good
4---arm length---longer arms=better ability to press and cover down the field to fight for the ball

If he does well on these 4 aspects I could see him go as high as the 3rd round because he checks all the other boxes IMO.
very good info .. spoken like someone who knows the NFL prototypical metrics by position.

don't they also look at the 10 or 20 yard dash interval, even if they only publish the 40 yard result ?
Yes they do. short area quickness and COD skills are vital as well.

I'm no expert. but the analysis fascinates me and I love watching the Combine. For an FCS guy like DH the measureables are even more important due to playing at a smaller school.

Deiondre Hall rose to a 4th rounder from UNI in large part due to arms longer than some offensive tackles. unfortunately for him (and the Bears) it hasn't translated on the field.

Based on what Ive seen watching DH the last 4 years I think he will test very well. His intangibles and character will be pristine. i think he will knock it out of the park with coaches and scouts in the interview process.

DannyCooksey
Sophomore
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:01 pm

TreRoberson4Heisman wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:12 pm
People can look at measurables all they want. At the end of day, the game film is all that matters. Hope he gets drafted, just not to my team.
this is true.

But..........the measureables can help predict and project a prospect's "floor" and "ceiling". some scouts and GMS look for traits when deciding to draft a player and less on game film. not saying that's right or wrong.

i think DH has both. good film and good traits.

User avatar
Total Red
Freshman
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:54 pm

TreRoberson4Heisman wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:12 pm
People can look at measurables all they want. At the end of day, the game film is all that matters. Hope he gets drafted, just not to my team.
Game film SHOULD be what matters but I've always been amazed and how much weight the NFL puts on measureables. If you look at game film Tyrone Walker would be in the NFL. If you go with measureables then Cam Meredith gets the nod. Which one made it?

DannyCooksey
Sophomore
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:51 pm

Total Red wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:54 pm
TreRoberson4Heisman wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:12 pm
People can look at measurables all they want. At the end of day, the game film is all that matters. Hope he gets drafted, just not to my team.
Game film SHOULD be what matters but I've always been amazed and how much weight the NFL puts on measureables. If you look at game film Tyrone Walker would be in the NFL. If you go with measureables then Cam Meredith gets the nod. Which one made it?
I think FBS is where game film matters more. Consistently better competition. Who is beating whom on Saturday?

FCS and below the nod goes to traits more often than not. If an NFL team is looking closely at an FCS player it is assumed that that player is pretty dominant at their level. That said, Cam is 6'3 210 and runs a sub 4.5. Tyrone Walker was a better college player but Cam has the size and athleticism that Tyrone lacked for the Sunday league.

Cam Lee is another example. He was a darn good lineman and had 2 years of solid film. But being a legit 6'5 with nearly 34" arms made him A LOT more attractive to NFL teams because with those arms he might have the ability to play RT as well as both guard positions.

fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 866
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:52 pm

DannyCooksey wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:51 pm
Total Red wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:54 pm
TreRoberson4Heisman wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:12 pm
People can look at measurables all they want. At the end of day, the game film is all that matters. Hope he gets drafted, just not to my team.
Game film SHOULD be what matters but I've always been amazed and how much weight the NFL puts on measureables. If you look at game film Tyrone Walker would be in the NFL. If you go with measureables then Cam Meredith gets the nod. Which one made it?
I think FBS is where game film matters more. Consistently better competition. Who is beating whom on Saturday?

FCS and below the nod goes to traits more often than not. If an NFL team is looking closely at an FCS player it is assumed that that player is pretty dominant at their level. That said, Cam is 6'3 210 and runs a sub 4.5. Tyrone Walker was a better college player but Cam has the size and athleticism that Tyrone lacked for the Sunday league.

Cam Lee is another example. He was a darn good lineman and had 2 years of solid film. But being a legit 6'5 with nearly 34" arms made him A LOT more attractive to NFL teams because with those arms he might have the ability to play RT as well as both guard positions.
Plus he was late bloomer having walked on at FCS level. So measurables causes them to bet on his upside. Film won't tell them any of that.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

DannyCooksey
Sophomore
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:05 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:52 pm
DannyCooksey wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:51 pm
Total Red wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:54 pm


Game film SHOULD be what matters but I've always been amazed and how much weight the NFL puts on measureables. If you look at game film Tyrone Walker would be in the NFL. If you go with measureables then Cam Meredith gets the nod. Which one made it?
I think FBS is where game film matters more. Consistently better competition. Who is beating whom on Saturday?

FCS and below the nod goes to traits more often than not. If an NFL team is looking closely at an FCS player it is assumed that that player is pretty dominant at their level. That said, Cam is 6'3 210 and runs a sub 4.5. Tyrone Walker was a better college player but Cam has the size and athleticism that Tyrone lacked for the Sunday league.

Cam Lee is another example. He was a darn good lineman and had 2 years of solid film. But being a legit 6'5 with nearly 34" arms made him A LOT more attractive to NFL teams because with those arms he might have the ability to play RT as well as both guard positions.
Plus he was late bloomer having walked on at FCS level. So measurables causes them to bet on his upside. Film won't tell them any of that.
Agree 100%. Great point.

Reggie
Freshman
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:38 pm

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:25 pm

Harris has been named second team all-american by AP

fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 866
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:12 am

So Haley from STATS has Harris projected to be drafted in 5th round.

Maybe it's the "plays" ... and not the "playas". Everyone likes Harris at next level, despite getting lit up a couple games with some fans here turning on him.

Hope Spack notices or NFL scouts say something that gets him rethinking .. we've got to learnt o adapt our cover schemes and pass defense techniques against strong passing offenses. We do very well most games .. even (USD and SDSU), but then collapse in games like Richmond '15, NAU '17, SIU '17, WIU '17 (2nd half).

Good quarterbacks, that can put ball on the dime to good receivers, can throw to guarded receivers with little fear of being picked.

Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

DannyCooksey
Sophomore
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:41 pm

Huge week for Davontae Harris and Dalton Keene

East West Shrine Game practices start this week. The game is this Saturday on NFLN live at 2pm. Best of luck to both players. A good week and a good showing Saturday could lead to the Senior Bowl which would be an even bigger opportunity to showcase for the 32 Sunday teams.

Best of luck guys..........Redbird Nation is rooting for you. :D

Seeing Red
Freshman
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:42 pm

Best of luck to these two great players and so cool that both are playing together again!

DannyCooksey
Sophomore
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:48 pm

Seeing Red wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:42 pm
Best of luck to these two great players and so cool that both are playing together again!
actually.......strangely enough they are on opposite teams. :lol:

Davontae on the West and Dalton on the East.

http://www.shrinegame.com/east-roster

http://www.shrinegame.com/west-roster

Seeing Red
Freshman
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:57 pm

Wow, that I did not expect. At least they're in the same game then. :lol:

DannyCooksey
Sophomore
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:50 am

49ers and Lions have conducted interviews with Davontae so far this week

A quote from yesterday's practice:
" Illinois State cornerback Davontae Harris (6-0, 205) has good size to him and is a solid in zone coverage. However, Harris struggles with deep speed. That could be seen from his college tape in the back half of the season and in St. Petersburg. Harris shouldn't go to teams that play a lot of off man coverage. He could be a fit and make a team that plays a lot of zone and maybe some press man technique.


Read more: http://walterfootball.com/eastwest2018p ... z54Sux813y"

DannyCooksey
Sophomore
Posts: 332
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:27 pm

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:35 am

Congrats to Davontae. He received his invite to the Combine.

Explosion testing and the 40-time will be crucial to his status in the draft.

Adunk33
Sophomore
Posts: 372
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:24 am

Here is the draft profile for the lone Redbird headed to the Combine.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/dav ... id=2559972

JHBird
Sophomore
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:55 pm

Any guesses what he'll run the 40 in? He always looked pretty fast on the field? 4.5? or 4.4?

fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 866
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:44 pm

Kind of sucks Dalton got left inside at DT .. not big enough at next level, and thought he was planning move to DE

I figure Davontae will run between 4.55 and 4.59 .. so closer to 4.60 than 4.50
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

JHBird
Sophomore
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:12 am

fourthandshort wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:44 pm
Kind of sucks Dalton got left inside at DT .. not big enough at next level, and thought he was planning move to DE

I figure Davontae will run between 4.55 and 4.59 .. so closer to 4.60 than 4.50
I'm thinking he'll get signed as a UFA. Could be like Cameron Lee and still make a roster somewhere. Seems like he would be an ideal DE in a 3-4 defense. Hopefully he will have a few offers and can go to the team with the biggest need there.

fourthandshort
Senior
Posts: 866
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 pm

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:31 am

JHBird wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:12 am
fourthandshort wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:44 pm
Kind of sucks Dalton got left inside at DT .. not big enough at next level, and thought he was planning move to DE

I figure Davontae will run between 4.55 and 4.59 .. so closer to 4.60 than 4.50
I'm thinking he'll get signed as a UFA. Could be like Cameron Lee and still make a roster somewhere. Seems like he would be an ideal DE in a 3-4 defense. Hopefully he will have a few offers and can go to the team with the biggest need there.
scouts like him a lot other than he doesn't have top end speed. My guess is he runs a very good 0 to 10 or 20 yards, but average speed for CBs from 20-40 yards. They like him in zone cover systems, but not man to man for that reason. Not sure his frame will support much more weight, but maybe in time he can move to safety position .. the dude is a football player and will impress at next level, other than the breakaway speed issue.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests