If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Eastern

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

StLRedbird
Sophomore

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:47 pm

Who calls a run off tackle on 1st and 25?
CaliRdBrd
Senior

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Adunk33 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:52 pm
Davis just can’t multitask. If he is planning on throwing the ball he stares down his receiver. If he is getting rushed he no longer looks down field. He’s got the classic tunnel vision which is a really bad trait of a QB.
Pretty bad advertising for the Manning passing camp...
redbirds2000
Sophomore

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:55 pm

CaliRdBrd wrote:
Adunk33 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:52 pm
Davis just can’t multitask. If he is planning on throwing the ball he stares down his receiver. If he is getting rushed he no longer looks down field. He’s got the classic tunnel vision which is a really bad trait of a QB.
Pretty bad advertising for the Manning passing camp...
Even EIU announcer #2 has figured out he isn't very good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

StLRedbird
Sophomore

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:00 pm

So that was a 21-3 win that asks more questions than it answers.
redbirds2000
Sophomore

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:05 pm

StLRedbird wrote:So that was a 21-3 win that asks more questions than it answers.
Yep. EIU is very, very bad! The clear fact that our coaches won't let Davis pass is very telling! 31 yards!! I challenge someone to find a college QB that threw for less today. Any college QB. Any level. Any offense. Go!

CaliRdBrd
Senior

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:06 pm

Let’s just pray they’re saving the real playbook for conference play:)
redbirds2000
Sophomore

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:09 pm

CaliRdBrd wrote:Let’s just pray they’re saving the real playbook for conference play:)
Yeah. Look out NDSU! The Bison don't even know who Brady Davis is and they don't care. They will send the house after JR!

MadBird
Junior

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:14 pm

redbirds2000 wrote:
StLRedbird wrote:So that was a 21-3 win that asks more questions than it answers.
Yep. EIU is very, very bad! The clear fact that our coaches won't let Davis pass is very telling! 31 yards!! I challenge someone to find a college QB that threw for less today. Any college QB. Any level. Any offense. Go!

Army QB appears to have 18 yds passing with 9 minutes left in the game. Not that I want us to model that!! ;)
redbirds2000
Sophomore

Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:17 pm

MadBird wrote:
redbirds2000 wrote:

Army QB appears to have 18 yds passing with 9 minutes left in the game. Not that I want us to model that!! ;)
Good find! He's 100%!

Virginia Redbird
Sophomore

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:09 pm

I watched the game but could not participate in the discussion. I have been pretty critical of Brady over the first two games, justifiably so. Today I can't hit him too hard. The receivers must have pulled a Varsity Blues visit to a strip club last night. So many dropped balls. That is not Brady's fault. Typical Spack type of offensive game. He trusts his defense and does not want the offense to lose the game. Run, run, run, run and run some more. The game was never in doubt so why take chances? I don't think they are hiding the playbook. The receivers need to catch the ball. Brady did put it on mark a few times and the ball was just dropped. The defense looked good overall but looked like they let up a few times. Again, this game was never in doubt. If this is the best the offense can do then I think it is looking like it will be pretty ugly when the Bird ;) s open up the MVC in a few weeks. Should be interesting next week at Northern Arizona.
Oh...what grade school did EIU raid to get people to work the cameras? Please don't tell me they were actually college students that could not find the ball and could not keep the camera steady. Maybe they were at the same strip club the Redbird receivers when to, huh? ;)
“When you have great players, playing great, well that’s great football!”
John Madden
StLRedbird
Sophomore

Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:22 pm

Virginia Redbird wrote:
I watched the game but could not participate in the discussion. I have been pretty critical of Brady over the first two games, justifiably so. Today I can't hit him too hard. The receivers must have pulled a Varsity Blues visit to a strip club last night. So many dropped balls. That is not Brady's fault. Typical Spack type of offensive game. He trusts his defense and does not want the offense to lose the game. Run, run, run, run and run some more. The game was never in doubt so why take chances? I don't think they are hiding the playbook. The receivers need to catch the ball. Brady did put it on mark a few times and the ball was just dropped. The defense looked good overall but looked like they let up a few times. Again, this game was never in doubt. If this is the best the offense can do then I think it is looking like it will be pretty ugly when the Bird ;) s open up the MVC in a few weeks. Should be interesting next week at Northern Arizona.
Oh...what grade school did EIU raid to get people to work the cameras? Please don't tell me they were actually college students that could not find the ball and could not keep the camera steady. Maybe they were at the same strip club the Redbird receivers when to, huh? ;)
I sure hope we rope-a-doped Eastern, 'cause 21 ain't gonna cut it against NAU. Would love to be a fly on the wall in the room as their coaches evaluate our film. I want to believe we've got some passing ability we're not showing. I mean, if Davis has the ability we've been told then the there is a problem elsewhere.

Upon calm reflection, I thought Eastern had some offensive talent. Brantley and McCollough both had speed and the ability to break tackles. Good thing their O line was dominated by our D front.
TIMMY
Senior

Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:24 pm

Watching Clemson at Syracuse right now. I can see coverages and routes. I couldn't see any of that this afternoon so I'm having a hard time making an educated evaluation of anything. I've had H. S. kids do a better job with a camcorder.
fourthandshort
Senior

Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Virginia Redbird wrote:
I saw 2 dropped passes ... Edgar and Haley, both easy catches. I didn't notice any others. I am starting to lose faith in Spack's ability to deal with this. Davis needs to man up .. but Spack has this offense wound so tight thinking they need to play to not lose the game. This is on Spack .. he is afraid to make a change t this point.

He will to lose this team, if he stays with Davis too long. It is past time to try Jefferson or Baltz.

As for the defense, very dominant at time, but alittle sloppy at other times ... lot of missed arm tackles and over-pursuits. Their QB was very tough to tackle, but there were way too many near misses. Finished with 8 sacks, but easily should have been 12 or more ... missed tackles all over the place today, or they would have had lot less yards.

I think the defense will settle down just fine and be mostly dominant. As for offense ... not a clue ... but it does not look good at all. And I don't see it getting better with Davis in pocket ... he is snake bit at this point. Time to try someone else.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!
Total Red
Sophomore

Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:56 pm

Virginia Redbird wrote:
I watched the game but could not participate in the discussion. I have been pretty critical of Brady over the first two games, justifiably so. Today I can't hit him too hard. The receivers must have pulled a Varsity Blues visit to a strip club last night. So many dropped balls. That is not Brady's fault. Typical Spack type of offensive game. He trusts his defense and does not want the offense to lose the game. Run, run, run, run and run some more. The game was never in doubt so why take chances? I don't think they are hiding the playbook. The receivers need to catch the ball. Brady did put it on mark a few times and the ball was just dropped.
:text-+1:
fourthandshort wrote:
I saw 2 dropped passes ... Edgar and Haley, both easy catches. I didn't notice any others. ………. It is past time to try Jefferson or Baltz.
I think you're correct fourth. I only remember 2 dropped passes too but we only had 6 incompletions altogether. Davis was 5 for 11. IF those 2 well thrown balls are caught he's 7 for 11 and it looks a lot better. IF Davis throws a couple of passes better it could have been 9 for 11. I don't think the passing game is beyond repair. But meanwhile we had a game to win today. We only averaged 2.8 yards per pass with our IFFY passing game. The rushing attack averaged 5.0 yards per attempt. And some of you guys are angry that we didn't open up the play book with our IFFY passing??? Look at what we did right offensively. No turnovers. We ran most of the time and sometimes effectively. Again no turnovers. We didn't let the offense screw with the defense. We'll take our 18 pt. road victory and go home. That's what your supposed to do. If we need to pass more we will.

There was some hype early on related to Davis and the passing game improvement in his 2nd year but most of us saw the situation for what it was. Davis is occasionally brilliant but inconsistent. He's under 50% completion pct. this season but last season is a larger sample and he finished at 56% so I expect him to move towards his long term average. Remember that our best returning receiver (Edgar) has been slowed by a hamstring injury and we lost our top receiver from last year (Spencer Schnell) to a NFL team that was too freaking stupid to recognize his productivity. We've got a young group of receivers but there's talent there. The coaches see our QB's in practice every day. They think Davis gives us the best chance to win. I believe they are right. We've seen some of the inconsistency but if we stick with him we should also see some brilliance.
Total Red
Sophomore

Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:09 am

Speaking of brilliance we need to give our D plenty of credit. As predicted our D-Line outclassed the Eastern O-Line but their QB was agile and slippery. It often took more than one defender to bring him down but we did a good job of swarming and we eventually got him. It was a DOMINATING performance with 8 sacks and 15.5 TFL's. McKnight was a force and I think DeForest had his best game to date. Too often he's been a near miss guy but he finished on some key tackles today. I suppose you can find a sloppy play here or there but when you hold the opponent to zero TD's it just doesn't seem right to ask for more. Consider this week's challenge MET.
Sanantoniobird
Sophomore

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:28 am

I’m under no false pretenses to think that we are a championship caliber team much less a top 2 conference contender, however we were relatively slicing through em like butter on the ground and our defense clearly was superior to anything they had. We were beyond the better team on the field. As bad as we looked offensively, I was sorta wondering if that was kinda the plan. Everyone knows we have a preseason all-American in the backfield. Jury is still out if we have a passing game. Why not keep it that way if we don’t have to show anything on tape? They knew we had a ground game, and still couldn’t stop it. Why deviate? Just another way of looking at things.
Another thought; I see a lot of children in my practice and it’s either speech or motor that children are usually delayed in. If it’s both than that might be abnormal. However, what I’m saying is it is normal for children to develop one before the other. Our QB had a decent passing game last year, very little run threat. He’s already surpassed his attempts and yards in rushing after 3 games (probably), and is slowed in the passing game. Maybe it will take a few games to get them both working together. Again, trying for a positive spin.
Virginia Redbird
Sophomore

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:45 am

fourthandshort wrote:
Virginia Redbird wrote:
I saw 2 dropped passes ... Edgar and Haley, both easy catches. I didn't notice any others. I am starting to lose faith in Spack's ability to deal with this. Davis needs to man up .. but Spack has this offense wound so tight thinking they need to play to not lose the game. This is on Spack .. he is afraid to make a change t this point.

He will to lose this team, if he stays with Davis too long. It is past time to try Jefferson or Baltz.

As for the defense, very dominant at time, but alittle sloppy at other times ... lot of missed arm tackles and over-pursuits. Their QB was very tough to tackle, but there were way too many near misses. Finished with 8 sacks, but easily should have been 12 or more ... missed tackles all over the place today, or they would have had lot less yards.

I think the defense will settle down just fine and be mostly dominant. As for offense ... not a clue ... but it does not look good at all. And I don't see it getting better with Davis in pocket ... he is snake bit at this point. Time to try someone else.
There were two obvious drops that were right on target. I thought there were another couple that the receiver could have made a catch, maybe a tough catch, and they did not. The bottom line to me is if you only pass 11 times in an entire game in this day of wide-open football then two terrible in your hand's drops are pretty significant. I thought the receivers were not very good yesterday but to be fair they were probably surprised Spack was passing the ball at all. I don't have any argument with the way the game was called. The Birds did not need to pass to beat Eastern and I felt the game was never in doubt and that Eastern was virtually zero threat from beginning to end. Inside the Red Zone, they were stuffed. I thought Brady looked a bit unsure when he ran the ball and he ran quite a bit. The defense looked sloppy tackling at times but give credit to the EIU QB...he was slippery. The biggest EIU play was a fluke type thing. EIU fumbles the ball and one of their receivers picks it up for a big gain.
It was the type of gain I think Spack loves. Defense totally controls the opponent, run the ball effectively and don't put the ball in the air much at all. Can't really argue that it worked and the Birds went home with a "W" and the trophy. Hopefully, they have more in the weeks ahead. 11 passes in an entire game is Woody Hayes type football. Most teams in this modern offensive age have them many passes in the first half if not a quarter. Unless there is another big blowout win, I don't expect to see the backup QBs on the field for some time to come. It appears the wagon is tied to Brady for 2019.
“When you have great players, playing great, well that’s great football!”
John Madden
ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:59 am

Total Red wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:56 pm
Virginia Redbird wrote:
I watched the game but could not participate in the discussion. I have been pretty critical of Brady over the first two games, justifiably so. Today I can't hit him too hard. The receivers must have pulled a Varsity Blues visit to a strip club last night. So many dropped balls. That is not Brady's fault. Typical Spack type of offensive game. He trusts his defense and does not want the offense to lose the game. Run, run, run, run and run some more. The game was never in doubt so why take chances? I don't think they are hiding the playbook. The receivers need to catch the ball. Brady did put it on mark a few times and the ball was just dropped.
:text-+1:
fourthandshort wrote:
I saw 2 dropped passes ... Edgar and Haley, both easy catches. I didn't notice any others. ………. It is past time to try Jefferson or Baltz.
I think you're correct fourth. I only remember 2 dropped passes too but we only had 6 incompletions altogether. Davis was 5 for 11. IF those 2 well thrown balls are caught he's 7 for 11 and it looks a lot better. IF Davis throws a couple of passes better it could have been 9 for 11. I don't think the passing game is beyond repair. But meanwhile we had a game to win today. We only averaged 2.8 yards per pass with our IFFY passing game. The rushing attack averaged 5.0 yards per attempt. And some of you guys are angry that we didn't open up the play book with our IFFY passing??? Look at what we did right offensively. No turnovers. We ran most of the time and sometimes effectively. Again no turnovers. We didn't let the offense screw with the defense. We'll take our 18 pt. road victory and go home. That's what your supposed to do. If we need to pass more we will.

There was some hype early on related to Davis and the passing game improvement in his 2nd year but most of us saw the situation for what it was. Davis is occasionally brilliant but inconsistent. He's under 50% completion pct. this season but last season is a larger sample and he finished at 56% so I expect him to move towards his long term average. Remember that our best returning receiver (Edgar) has been slowed by a hamstring injury and we lost our top receiver from last year (Spencer Schnell) to a NFL team that was too freaking stupid to recognize his productivity. We've got a young group of receivers but there's talent there. The coaches see our QB's in practice every day. They think Davis gives us the best chance to win. I believe they are right. We've seen some of the inconsistency but if we stick with him we should also see some brilliance.
Gotta confess....you lost me with the brilliant/brilliance reference. I have seen Davis make some good passes and like they way he can scrambles too but never do I recall thinking Davis was playing brilliant. I guess I will have to pay more attention.
RBFANTOO
Sophomore

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:05 am

fourthandshort wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:27 pm
Time to bring another QB into mix ... we need to get someone else ready to play in conference games starting now. Teams know we are afraid to pass because Spack doesn't want our QB to lose the game for us ... this is completely stifling our offensive attack.
YES!!!!
Redbird Nation Rising
Phantom
Sophomore

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:10 am

Winning ugly is better than not winning at all. Maybe still trying to get game legs going but now that we're entering Week 4 that shouldn't be a factor anymore.

Would love to see us open it up a little more offensively, but that's no easy task with questions at WR and Brady's early inconsistency. Need to get him in a rhythm early, even if it means dink & dunk until he can cut loose. The good thing is the defense looks great and the O-line and JR & Proctor are starting to sync. That's great for clock control and wearing other defenses down but we need to get some yards in the air or risk tiring the big horses out.

A win is a win is a win.