If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

2019 NFL Draft

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

REDBIRD FAN 77
Freshman

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:34 am

Do we have anyone on this team that could get drafted this year?

JHBird
Junior

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:40 am

I wondered about Spencer Schnell. Seems like he could be a potential slot receiver. Smart tough player IMO. I doubt he'll get drafted, but maybe somebody will give him a look.
He could surprise some people. The players with the most NFL potential are underclassman (thank god right).

TreRoberson4Heisman
Sophomore

Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:24 pm

JHBird wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:40 am
I wondered about Spencer Schnell. Seems like he could be a potential slot receiver. Smart tough player IMO. I doubt he'll get drafted, but maybe somebody will give him a look.
He could surprise some people. The players with the most NFL potential are underclassman (thank god right).
Patriots

Total Red
Sophomore

Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:20 pm

Schnell has a slight chance. We'll see how he does in workouts. I've always maintained that scouts put way too much emphasis on measureables and combine numbers. For me the best receiver of the Spack era isn't Cam Meredith or Spencer Schnell. It's Tyrone Walker and I'll always believe that he could play in the NFL if the right team had given him the chance. He lacked measureables. He wasn't tall and fast like Meredith so I don't think Walker ever got serious consideration but Walker had fantastic hands and great moves to get open and to gain yards after the catch. Schnell has some speed. That might help teams overlook his size. The Patriots would be a good place for him.

Adunk33
Senior

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:10 am

Total Red wrote:
Schnell has a slight chance. We'll see how he does in workouts. I've always maintained that scouts put way too much emphasis on measureables and combine numbers. For me the best receiver of the Spack era isn't Cam Meredith or Spencer Schnell. It's Tyrone Walker and I'll always believe that he could play in the NFL if the right team had given him the chance. He lacked measureables. He wasn't tall and fast like Meredith so I don't think Walker ever got serious consideration but Walker had fantastic hands and great moves to get open and to gain yards after the catch. Schnell has some speed. That might help teams overlook his size. The Patriots would be a good place for him.
I remember hearing a story about when Walker got a chance with the Packers. He was running some routes with Aaron Rodgers in camp during a live scrimmage. After a play against the live defense, Walker came back to the huddle and told Rodgers, "you missed me on that one." Rodgers looked at him and said, "I didn't even know you were on the field." I believe Walker got cut shortly after I heard about that exchange. I too, had hoped Walker would get a shot, his size and attitude didn't do him any favors.

Total Red
Sophomore

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:35 am

If the Rodgers/Walker story happened as written here I don't know how that would be an attitude problem on his part. As a free agent you are only going to get a few chances to impress. If the QB doesn't throw to you when you're open then you aren't going to make the team so you might as well speak up.

Adunk33
Senior

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:37 am

Total Red wrote:
If the Rodgers/Walker story happened as written here I don't know how that would be an attitude problem on his part. As a free agent you are only going to get a few chances to impress. If the QB doesn't throw to you when you're open then you aren't going to make the team so you might as well speak up.
Fair point. I'm not sure the Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady's of the world are the guys you want to tell how to do their job.

MadBird
Sophomore

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:42 am

Adunk33 wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:37 am
Total Red wrote:
Fair point. I'm not sure the Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady's of the world are the guys you want to tell how to do their job.
Good point, even Coach McCarthy is on Rodgers' $hit list from time to time, it seems. :lol:

fourthandshort
Senior

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:51 am

Total Red wrote:
TR ... agree Walker was our best pure WR I've seen and probably close to Laurent Robinson. But imagine if Meredith had 4 or 5 years at WR at ISU ... the word yikes comes to mind. Walker was a shade slow and undersized ... meaning at his size he needed more speed. But nobody at ISU ever had his combination of hands, feet, and feel for space .. nobody.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

• Information