If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Indiana St.

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

DannyCooksey
Junior

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:18 pm

Going out with a whimper. Sad.

Has a season ever gone this fast the other way like this one has? Good grief. I thought this team was going to be a very tough playoff out.

My was I ever wrong. I’ve seen seasons derailed by injury or whatever. But this team has remained healthy for the most part.

What the hell is going on out here? This is not where I expected this program to be right now. :think:

Metamoron
Sophomore

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:45 pm

Another bit of good news. SIU plays at NDSU next week so we shouldn’t finish last if we lose.

Phantom
Sophomore

Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:00 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:40 pm
Phantom wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:22 am
Maybe if we are actually ready to play at the start of the game for a change, we'll have a shot at winning.
well, this didn't work either ... looked great in Q1 and just like SDSU, we literally gave away game in Q2 ... turnovers and penalties killing our field position and giving them life.
We’re just a very average football team. And by average I mean shitty.

Virginia Redbird
Sophomore

Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:24 pm

Metamoron wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:41 pm
Well the good news is that all the bitching about the STX game costing us a playoff spot has stopped......
Well...there is that! :lol:
“When you have great players, playing great, well that’s great football!”
John Madden

ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:07 am

fourthandshort wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:24 pm
Defense played well today ... their offense has given many teams fits. And if not for 3 turnovers, they would not have scored 28 points. We just couldn't consistently move the ball after strong start. Note, they are averaging 40 points per game if you exclude their FBS game and the UNI game where they got shut out. For the game, they only had 2 drives over 50 yards .... 52 and 67. We had 5 drives over 50 yards. We drew about even in yards rushed, and out passed them by 200 yards .. granted, 80+ came on last drive. Turnovers and penalties gave them alll the momentum they needed after Q1. And our vaunted run game is only sporadicly good lately.

Speaking of which ... something is up with Robinson ... not sure what, but he is not the same RB. Nice day for Smith .. he had a real nice broken tackle run when he fumbled after busting thru 2 guys. Instead of picking up 10+ more yards on a nice looking drive with ISUb clearly on their heels .. we fumble on our 38 yd line, which they take in for TD in 2 plays .. 10-7. Next series a pick returned to our 40 plus 15 yards for Davis face mask put them on on our 25.

Uphoff had several nice kick returns, but 2 ruined by penalties ... shows up in box score as 20 yards in penalties, but cost us 65 yards in field position. Not sure if the penalties helped Uphoff get those big returns.

Talk about Spack not being the right guy ... you have a short selective memory. Is he oerfect ... no, but were playing in the MVFC and play top 10 SOS every year. And now the standard at ISU is such that, finishing 6-5 is viewed as a failure. When Spack got here, which was before NDSU was winning Nattys, and just after all the Dakota's started joining the conference ... the MVFC was a weak conference ... 2 bids usually. Now it gets 4 or 5 every year. So there is big difference between 6-5 since 2011, and 6-5 prior to 2010. I don't like 6-5 and yes, we aren't as good as we thought ... but I still like this roster and what we have coming back next year. Mainly need to shore up the OL and work on Davis's accuracy & efficiency; and hopefully if Robinson is nursing an injury, it gets better.

The defense was a pleasant surprise this year and will only get better ... recall we lost 9 of 11 fullest time starters from a year ago. The Offense showed some things and then slipped when going got real tough. But it's not like the cupboard is bare ... there is talent and depth on both sides of ball, just didn't come together like many of us hoped.

So I'm frustrated we fell short this year, but looking forward to next season ... we have a lot coming back on our 2 deep.
Playing in the MVFC has as many positives as negatives so only using the negatives as an execuse for poor performance is misleading

chuckie1980
Sophomore

Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:58 am

The Redbirds still were able to score more points in the second half compared to the Sycamores....thus the BIRDS continue to be UNDEFEATED during the second half.

Now I can make the point....so we score more against the Sycamores in the first quarter....AND during the second half....but the weak second quarter gave us the loss today.

DaveBird10
Freshman

Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:04 am

Adunk33 wrote:I'm glad it's basketball season. Image
Not to start this but I am glad for basketball season as well until we have up 100 points to Belmont and our players don't listen to coach!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

StLRedbird
Sophomore

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:12 pm

DannyCooksey wrote:
Has a season ever gone this fast the other way like this one has? Good grief. I thought this team was going to be a very tough playoff out.
Has me thinking of 2016. We destroyed Valpo and beat Northwestern, then proceeded to lose 4 straight.

ChiRedbirdfan
Senior

Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:00 pm

StLRedbird wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:12 pm
DannyCooksey wrote:
Has me thinking of 2016. We destroyed Valpo and beat Northwestern, then proceeded to lose 4 straight.
This team fell further than the 2016 season...when you look back at the last half season the performance and execution have been non-existent. Looking back ISU was fortunate to have won the WIU game.

JHBird
Junior

Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:26 am

gobirds85 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:07 pm
We are a volleyball school. I thought I heard that recently.
:text-+1:

Total Red
Sophomore

Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:06 am

Positives and Negatives from Terre Haute

Negatives
1) Penalties and turnovers. We allowed momentum to be destroyed
2) Need to address FG kicking at the end of the season
3) Receivers other than Schnell need to get separation sooner. Several times Davis set up in the pocket but couldn't find an open receiver to throw to. We had a lot of receiving yardage but with the protection Davis had it should have been even more.
4) I was on the fence about the Mike LB'er position at the start of the season. I'm not anymore. Vandenburgh needs to be the starter to make that position more productive.
5) I didn't like the decision to punt on 4th and 1 down 11 pts with about 10:30 to go. Our defense wasn't shutting them down and I didn't think a 3 and out would happen.
6) Penalties and turnovers. We allowed momentum to be destroyed.

Positives
1) Schnell had 11 receptions for 155 yards. I'll enjoy watching him one more time.
2) Christian Uphoff is explosive and exciting return man.
3) Charles Woods DB is just a freshman with a great future.
4) I thought the revamped Offensive Line played well. Brady had time to throw. The offense rolled up 488 yards. A couple of holding calls at the guard position hurt but they played well enough to win.

Adunk33
Senior

Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:25 pm

I didn't really want to start a new thread for this but Spack believes DE Romeo McKnight will get another year of eligibility and have three more after this one, he believes the same for DB Jarrell Jackson.

So, he's excited to have his almost his whole defense back next season.

fourthandshort
Senior

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:37 pm

so can someone explain how we can outgain a team by 488 to 283 total yards, 26 to 17 first downs, dominate in Kick Return game .. yet lose 28-23.

Penalties & turnovers (3 to 1)... and wait for it .... field position.

This week we had 13 drives each x 11 yards = 143 yard disadvantage
- ISU average starting field position of 27 yard line
- InSU avg starting field position of 38 yard line

But maybe there was more to it than this. Spack submitted 9 ref calls for review by league, MVFC agreed with Spack on 7 of the calls, and ruled the other 2 inconclusive. I noticed a couple, but that happens every game .. and I know my recall isn't as strong when we benefit. So unless it is late in a close game, I grumble and to myself and move on.

Wonder if it was same crew from the infamous 2012 EIU game .. worst and most one-sided game in history of all sports all levels ever.

Excuse making, I know ... but 7 of 9 calls ?
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

salsa
Freshman

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:46 pm

fourthandshort wrote:so can someone explain how we can outgain a team by 488 to 283 total yards, 26 to 17 first downs, dominate in Kick Return game .. yet lose 28-23.

But maybe there was more to it than this. Spack submitted 9 ref calls for review by league, MVFC agreed with Spack on 7 of the calls, and ruled the other 2 inconclusive. I noticed a couple, but that happens every game .. and I know my recall isn't as strong when we benefit. So unless it is late in a close game, I grumble and to myself and move on.

Wonder if it was same crew from the infamous 2012 EIU game .. worst and most one-sided game in history of all sports all levels ever.

He likely only submitted plays he thought went against the Redbirds so his likelihood of that response was high. Indiana State may have submitted 9 different plays that went the other way and got the same response. That is a big number of incorrect calls though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MadBird
Sophomore

Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:55 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
so can someone explain how we can outgain a team by 488 to 283 total yards, 26 to 17 first downs, dominate in Kick Return game .. yet lose 28-23.

I watch the refs very close in hoops, know them by name and have an opinion on most of the ones I know. Not so much in football.

I do know that on the broadcast Saturday Ted Schmitz was moaning and groaning every time there was a reviewed call, saying the booth ref "never" overturned a call and they knew him very well and he has been a booth reviewer for years, etc. etc. Said several times "he's a nice man, but he never overturns the call".

But then, you know, what's the point? If the booth guy won't overturn a call when its warranted, what's his job up there then?

fourthandshort
Senior

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:41 am

salsa wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:46 pm
fourthandshort wrote:so can someone explain how we can outgain a team by 488 to 283 total yards, 26 to 17 first downs, dominate in Kick Return game .. yet lose 28-23.

He likely only submitted plays he thought went against the Redbirds so his likelihood of that response was high. Indiana State may have submitted 9 different plays that went the other way and got the same response. That is a big number of incorrect calls though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Agree completely .. but per Spack, it was most one-sided called game of the year. He also said SDSU game was poorly officiated but seemed to infer it went both ways. So given this is only game he is truly complaining about this season, I tend to believe it.

fourthandshort
Senior

Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 am

MadBird wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:55 pm
fourthandshort wrote:

I watch the refs very close in hoops, know them by name and have an opinion on most of the ones I know. Not so much in football.

I do know that on the broadcast Saturday Ted Schmitz was moaning and groaning every time there was a reviewed call, saying the booth ref "never" overturned a call and they knew him very well and he has been a booth reviewer for years, etc. etc. Said several times "he's a nice man, but he never overturns the call".

But then, you know, what's the point? If the booth guy won't overturn a call when its warranted, what's his job up there then?
Spack wasn't specific about any of the bad calls being reviewable or not.

Total Red
Sophomore

Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:18 pm

One more leftover from Terre Haute

I wouldn't say that Braxton Haley couldn't catch a cold but I will say that he can't catch a break. He finally caught a pass late in the Ind St. game and the catch was credited to Luther Kirk. If they ever need a spotter for our games I'm available. I don't know much about football but I do know our players.

• Information