If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

EIU game comments

The place to talk Redbird Football

Moderator: Football Moderators

TIMMY
Junior

Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:01 am

Barley made it for kickoff and honestly I can't believe how many stayed home on a beautiful football night.

We're a real good football team. Gotta stay healthy. 2's not stout yet against this run. 99 gets great push. Phenomenal push. Davis 17/23 for 317 and 4 TD's? Needs to fix his footwork when he moves to the his left but damn he's gonna be good. 84, 87, 11 are a nice set of WR's. Gotta knock off the holding.
Replay at our level is a joke. Not enough cameras, Not enough angles. Why bother.

RBFANTOO
Freshman

Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:23 am

In Beatherd we trust. He will develop our 2 starting QBs. What a luxury to have 2 really good QBs available. Davis was awesome and the play calls were great.
Redbird Nation Rising

Birdswin
Sophomore

Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:27 am

It took a little time to get rolling - but, once that happened - Holy Smokes was that FUN!!!!! Confidence booster on all fronts - players and coaches. Play selections were good - kept the EIU defense off-balance.

Quick strike and Big Play ability on Offense is a Great Threat for defenses to have to guard against.

Birdswin
Sophomore

Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:04 am

EIU - I thought their colors were Blue and White. So why did they have Black helmets and Gray pants? Looked very, very odd.

ekeyfanclub
Freshman

Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:44 am

Willie Edwards looks like a legit corner back. Not afraid to make a tackle. Got beat once, but not sure if that was his fault or if he was supposed to have safety help over the top.

MadBird
Sophomore

Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Pretty hard to argue with the outcome of this one, altho EIU isn't picked to be an OVC power exactly. Birds played pretty well, opened it up a little more. Faced some fairly decent EIU offensive talent.

QB Davis looked more like a "work in progress" this week than last, but you have to assume he's still getting used to his new teammates and targets and so forth. Almost all those TD passes showed some very nice touch and timing. Still a Kolbe fan, but Davis looks like a decent find. I'm glad they let him play thru that "funky" spell and get it going again.

While WR's Edgar and Haley showed pretty well, and I guess you can't expect a lot of guys to make receptions every game, I'm hoping a few more guys "show up" in the pass game. I pointed out in the St. X game the number of receptions to the RB's, this week there were none. Not much to complain about tho.

Almost 7 yards per carry for everyone, only lost 3 yards by everyone, 254 yds. gained, pretty much a decent night on the ground. No sacks. Thank you OL. Keep it coming.

Broadnax leading tackler last week, this week well down the list. Nice to see a couple LB's lead the way. And, who are these guys?? Ryan Guhl and Charles Woods with 4 tackles apiece?? Nice to see a couple of the youngsters show well. Vandenburgh didn't get a lot of stats but seemed to get a fair amount of time. LB looks to be a strength, we'll see what happens as the competition gets tougher.

So far, so good. Get ready for the Rams.

Chi-bird
Sophomore

Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:03 pm

ekeyfanclub wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:44 am
Willie Edwards looks like a legit corner back. Not afraid to make a tackle. Got beat once, but not sure if that was his fault or if he was supposed to have safety help over the top.
Agree. He looks really good. The defense impressed. Our linebackers are legit...quality and quantity (depth). Zachary Mathews played with a lot of energy and passion. His name has been called and he is ready to answer the call. Ridgeway is a man child. It's scary to think how good he can be by the time he actually completes puberty. :D

Offensively, Davis was definitely displaying why he is the starter. If he stays healthy and continues to play like he did tonight, we will be playing in December. I was surprised at how well we ran the ball vs the Panthers. The first offensive play of the game set the tone. A few key offensive plays early on the third drive that got us going; Davis putting his shoulder down and falling forward on a tackle to get the short yardage on 3rd and 1. Also, the great playcall of the WR screen on 3rd and long. It all set up the deep ball to Edgar.

The only thing I didn't really like was the drive in which we ran Robinson five times in a row (he broke a long one on 1st and 10, then had another tough run, and I figured that he'd definitely get a breather for at least a down. To see him stay in there after two tough runs and him breathing heavily, made me wonder if the coaches were being sensitive about having someone other than himself score the TD after he did the initial heavy lifting. They instead ran him 5 straight and he couldn't break in. Then, on 4th down, with Davis scrambling for the score...everyone except Robinson seemed to run over to the SW corner of the endzone to congratulate him. I'm hoping it was that he was tired and it was out of his way and not sour grapes.

All things considered, we look damn good. Colorado State had an epic 4th quarter comeback against the Razorbacks and are sure to be feeling good about themselves, assuming they don't completely crap the bed against Florida - who just happened to lose to Kentucky for the first time in 31 tries, and at the swamp no less. That Florida - Colorado State game next weekend in Gainsville will be really interesting.

fdbird83
Freshman

Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:03 pm

ISUBU wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:52 pm
saxman210 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:43 pm
A couple of quick thoughts:

I’m worried about our kicking game. Two kicks out of bounds and a missed field goal. If a game comes down to special teams, it freaks me out a little bit.
And I'm not sure about our kicking range...accurately that is. I could see that we have kickers who can get it in the endzone on kickoffs, but I hope we can consistently kick field goals of 40 yards.

Gotta mention that one of the best ever Redbird kickers was an honorary captain tonight - Paul Politi. Still holds the record for PAT accuracy.
I was in school when Paul was our kicker. He was very good.
http://www.jonfmorse.com/wiki/index.php ... Conference
Look at who is the first team QB.

StLRedbird
Sophomore

Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:11 pm

Thanks for all the commentary. I'm out of country and due to the wonderfulness of something called GDPR, I was blocked from streaming the game. At least that's what ESPN said when I tried.

Total Red
Sophomore

Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:29 pm

Offensive Player of the game - Brady Davis
Defensive Player of the Game - Zack Matthews

The Eastern game checked a lot of boxes as fourth would say. The first boxes dealt with the deep ball. EIU started the game with a predetermined respect for our ground game. They stacked the box with the safeties up close. Did we have a QB that could throw deep and multiple receivers that could get behind the secondary? Yes and Yes. Our offense can blow the top off of the defense. I knew Schnell could go deep but we needed at least one more and Edgar stepped up. Either Schnell or Davis could have been the Offensive Player of the Game but Davis hit Schnell perfectly in stride. That's the difference between a 50-yard completion and a 97-yard completion.

I've been wanting to see how Hirsch at C handles a middle linebacker before feeling completely secure about the run game. It turns out he doesn't block a LB'er very often. He's angle blocking DT's. EIU had a couple about his size and he neutralized them. Check that box. Our Guards are the ones that do more of the second level blocking. The offensive line is looking really good.

Defensively MLB'er DeForest was my last remaining concern and he's already had two INT's this season. If the ball fell into his arms the first time he earned the second one all on his own. Watching it live it appeared that he had been studying the QB's eyes and anticipated where the ball was going but in his postgame interview we found out it was more than that. The defense had practiced against that very play and he recognized it when it happened. It would be nice to have a MLB'er that is longer and more agile but DeForest is smart. Check the Mike Linebacker box.

I've already checked the weakside LB'er box with Matthews but he's even better than I thought. He's not only reliable when the play comes his way he also likes to go on the attack and get after it. #NightStalker

Since I have to complain about something I didn't like the defense we played when we were up 38-3. They had their running QB in the game and we had our LB'ers playing soft well behind a four man front. EIU could run a quick hitter or a slow developing running play. They had time and space in which to maneuver. We weren't pressuring them. When you're up 38-3 why quit playing the aggressive defense that got you there?

That's it though. One minor gripe when the game was already decided. This Redbird FB team has already proven to be very tough at home. Next we get to find out if we can take this show on the road and up a notch.

fourthandshort
Senior

Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:36 pm

I'm liking our starting WR group a lot, but still need to build the 2 deep. So i was thinking .. why do we always move offensive players to defense so much ? How about we balance things a bit .. huh coach ??? So my brilliant idea is to shore up the WR group by moving our best receiver on defense to WR ... and that would be ... Ty Deforest with 2 picks in 2 games ... dudes got hands.

So let's move him already Coach !!! Can you picture one of those skinny DBs trying to tackle Deforest ... it would be fun to watch them try.
Redbird Nation Rising ... Fans and donors need to get on board !!

fourthandshort
Senior

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:24 am

Total Red wrote:

The Eastern game checked a lot of boxes as fourth would say. The first boxes dealt with the deep ball. EIU started the game with a predetermined respect for our ground game .................

Since I have to complain about something I didn't like the defense we played when we were up 38-3. They had their running QB in the game and we had our LB'ers playing soft well behind a four man front. EIU could run a quick hitter or a slow developing running play. They had time and space in which to maneuver. We weren't pressuring them. When you're up 38-3 why quit playing the aggressive defense that got you there?

That's it though. One minor gripe when the game was already decided. This Redbird FB team has already proven to be very tough at home. Next we get to find out if we can take this show on the road and up a notch.
good post TR .. but you've been here longer than me I think. Spack's biggest weakness is playing with a big lead. All he cares about is managing the game to ensure the win .. even if it means he will give up a bunch of yards underneath.

It drives me nuts, even though I half get it .. my mentality is wired different. But last I checked, I'm the monday morning second guessing wannabe head coach, and he's the actual head coach .. so there's that.

MadBird
Sophomore

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:43 am

fourthandshort wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:36 pm
I'm liking our starting WR group a lot, but still need to build the 2 deep. So i was thinking .. why do we always move offensive players to defense so much ? How about we balance things a bit .. huh coach ??? So my brilliant idea is to shore up the WR group by moving our best receiver on defense to WR ... and that would be ... Ty Deforest with 2 picks in 2 games ... dudes got hands.

So let's move him already Coach !!! Can you picture one of those skinny DBs trying to tackle Deforest ... it would be fun to watch them try.
I believe Deforest had some good offensive game in HS, maybe he was a QB actually?? Good man, glad he eventually picked ISU.

JHBird
Junior

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:51 am

crazzymark wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:46 pm
ALOT of season holders where at Sears for sale I see..
Yeah, and the weather turned about to be pretty good actually. I was ready for a drenching, but never had to pull out the ole poncho.

chuckie1980
Sophomore

Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:27 am

Great pic of #76 Buffalomeat was one of the fb posted EIU game collections....among others.

TIMMY
Junior

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:11 am

chuckie1980 wrote:
Great pic of #76 Buffalomeat was one of the fb posted EIU game collections....among others.
Meat took to dancing during a 4th quarter time out. Not bad. :dance:

Redbirdwarrior
Sophomore

Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:22 am

Did I read that Brady Davis looked like a "Project"? Dude threw for 300+ yards and scored 5 TD against a mid level D-1 FCS opponent in his first "Real" FCS game.

I will be the first to eat crow on Kolbe being bumped. Davis is on another level and you can tell his WR are excited to play for him.

fourthandshort
Senior

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:02 pm

Redbirdwarrior wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:22 am
Did I read that Brady Davis looked like a "Project"? Dude threw for 300+ yards and scored 5 TD against a mid level D-1 FCS opponent in his first "Real" FCS game.

I will be the first to eat crow on Kolbe being bumped. Davis is on another level and you can tell his WR are excited to play for him.
My how quick we forget ...

Davis had slow start against EIU and then heated up quick with couple deep balls. Kolbe had big games like this too .. much moreso his SO season than JR year ... but he was quite capable of throwing the ball.

2016 Northwestern game .. he was 30 of 41 for 276 yards and led the last minute 80 yard drive to win on FG as time expired; Thorson was 17 of 41 for 191 yards; Northwestern was very tough that year .. finished top 35 per Massey and lost to Ohio State by by 4

2016 EIU game .. 25 of 37 for 275 yards, 2 TDs 1 pick .. got injured and came back into game playing hurt

2016 InSU game .. he came off the bench from injury previous week and played just over half the game; finished 25-32 for 256 yards. 3 TD 0 picks .. just over half the game and lit them up .. comeback fell just short

2016 WIU game ... 18-28 for 265 yards, 4 TDs 0 picks

2016 NDSU game on road ... 23 of 35 for 285 yards against top defense in country

Here is how he finished in his 8 MVFC games in 2016 as a first year starter .. just a hair out of 2nd best QBR, but by far the lowest Pick Rate and TD-Pick Ratio in MVFC by far .. anyone remember or realize these facts ???

2016 PASS EFFICIENCY Cl G Comp-Att-Int Yds TD Eff.
1. Christion,Taryn-SDSU So 8 183-293-7 2560 19 152.5
2. Stick,Easton-NDSU So 8 81-137-6 1144 10 144.6
3. Kolbe,Jake-ILS So 8 146-239-3 1767 17 144.2
4. Streveler,Chris-USD Jr 7 116-193-6 1440 13 138.8
5. McGuire,Sean-WIU So 8 174-300-12 2154 16 127.9
6. Lambert,Brodie-MSU Sr 8 142-253-14 1655 18 123.5
7. Harker, Isaac-INS So 7 151-263-8 1705 11 119.6
8. Mays, Nathan-YSU Fr 6 9-16-1 92 0 9 2 . 1

2017 offense had lot of problems virtually everywhere .. it is scapegoating if you're trying to put it all on Kolbe. OL was inexperienced and beat up, WR's sucked except for Schnell, and our OC was an over-reactive second-guessing hot head.

Davis is off to good start for sure, but it is only EIU .. more games to be play, though Coaches have decided to go with him 100% for now. But we may need Kolbe at some point .. and you can bet he will stay ready.

Either way ... Go Redbirds !!!!!

Now let's get ready for Colorado St in 2 weeks .. their offense may be finding their new groove.

RedbirdSoxFan
Sophomore

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:56 pm

fourthandshort wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:24 am
Total Red wrote:

The Eastern game checked a lot of boxes as fourth would say. The first boxes dealt with the deep ball. EIU started the game with a predetermined respect for our ground game .................

good post TR .. but you've been here longer than me I think. Spack's biggest weakness is playing with a big lead. All he cares about is managing the game to ensure the win .. even if it means he will give up a bunch of yards underneath.

It drives me nuts, even though I half get it .. my mentality is wired different. But last I checked, I'm the monday morning second guessing wannabe head coach, and he's the actual head coach .. so there's that.
Wish he would have opted to give up yards underneath instead of the two long passes at the end of the game in Frisco.

jbird
Freshman

Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:54 am

TIMMY wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:11 am
chuckie1980 wrote:
Meat took to dancing during a 4th quarter time out. Not bad. :dance:
Saw the same thing..........Mr. Buffalomeat grooving to Earth, Wind and Fire's "September."

• Information