If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Redbird Arena and Stubhub

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
Flagship08
Freshman

Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:46 pm

Does anyone know why you can never find MBB tickets on Stubhub at Redbird arena? Is it because ISU does not allow it or there simply isn't any demand to create a marketplace?

Living in Chicago I would be willing to pay a significant premium for prime lower bowl seats that often sit empty for the few games I can come to. Likewise, I would consider buying season tickets as a way of supporting the team and securing lower bowl seats but I don't need a full season and I don't want them to sit empty.

Anyone have any insight into this?

Redbirdwarrior
Sophomore

Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:05 pm

Why wouldn't you just go to Goredbirds.com?

We have not had a sellout in, what, 5 years? My guess is that ISU sees no reason to work with stubhub until they sell out through their own means.

Flagship08
Freshman

Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:18 pm

I have zero interest in watching important games from the upper bowl, I would choose to stay in Chicago and watch on TV if I couldn't secure good seats (just my preference). In the past I've bought when they go on sale (if anything good is available) but that requires knowing my schedule and friends to go with months in advance. I just think having a marketplace to buy and sell tickets is a win for the school, fans and season ticket holders.

bb fan
Junior

Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:36 pm

I have had season tickets in the upper bowl since day one of Redbird Arena. Same seats. I like 'em. Excellent seats. Much better than TV.

Chi-bird
Sophomore

Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:43 pm

Flagship08 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:46 pm
Does anyone know why you can never find MBB tickets on Stubhub at Redbird arena? Is it because ISU does not allow it or there simply isn't any demand to create a marketplace?

Living in Chicago I would be willing to pay a significant premium for prime lower bowl seats that often sit empty for the few games I can come to. Likewise, I would consider buying season tickets as a way of supporting the team and securing lower bowl seats but I don't need a full season and I don't want them to sit empty.

Anyone have any insight into this?
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the people who have the tickets.....mostly blue hairs, many of which don't know how to use the internet, let alone put out a listing on stubhub.

Birdswin
Sophomore

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:53 pm

I would agree with Chi-bird - it has nothing to do with ISU. To sell tickets on Stub-Hub, you would First, have to have someone willing to Sell their tickets on that platform, in that media. For example, I would have no idea how to use stub hub - If I am traveling during the week - I ask my neighbors or have my wife ask her fellow teachers in Unit 5 if they are interested - if no takers, they sit in my desk drawer.

A lot of the seats In sections M, N, and O - are either corporate or various departments at ISU - such as the Biology Dept for example - it is those seats that are often empty. I have a friend who is in the a Dept that has 4 tickets - he tells me, they are rarely ever used and the Dept head often times does not think of them until late in the day or forgets all together.

Same thing for football - several years ago, I needed four more season tickets and asked about the four next to our seats since they had no one sitting there for two years. Found out they were "reserved" for an University Official - after some fine work by the ticket office, they were able to - change these to another location. Point is - no one used them in two years - yet no one could buy them either. How many of these ticket situations are there?

TIMMY
Junior

Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:39 pm

Plenty of football seats on stubhub.

Jsnhbe1Birds
Senior

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:37 am

Birdswin wrote:
I would agree with Chi-bird - it has nothing to do with ISU. To sell tickets on Stub-Hub, you would First, have to have someone willing to Sell their tickets on that platform, in that media. For example, I would have no idea how to use stub hub - If I am traveling during the week - I ask my neighbors or have my wife ask her fellow teachers in Unit 5 if they are interested - if no takers, they sit in my desk drawer.

A lot of the seats In sections M, N, and O - are either corporate or various departments at ISU - such as the Biology Dept for example - it is those seats that are often empty. I have a friend who is in the a Dept that has 4 tickets - he tells me, they are rarely ever used and the Dept head often times does not think of them until late in the day or forgets all together.

Same thing for football - several years ago, I needed four more season tickets and asked about the four next to our seats since they had no one sitting there for two years. Found out they were "reserved" for an University Official - after some fine work by the ticket office, they were able to - change these to another location. Point is - no one used them in two years - yet no one could buy them either. How many of these ticket situations are there?
Judging by the 4-thousand empty seats for every game except Wichita State even when ISU goes 17-1 in the MVC and is an egregious snub I'd say a lot. Averaged 5,900 that season and that's with 10,000 seats since the band takes up around 200. 59% full. PATHETIC. Last season when they were 18-15 it was less than that. Around 5,100 I believe.

It will never change unless ISU grows some balls and says if those seats are not filled for 80% of the games over a two year period (24/30 games) then you lose those tickets and they hopefully go to someone who will go to 80% and if they don't then they also forfeit.

Reggie Redbird
Sophomore

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:20 am

Birdswin wrote:

This is a great point. There are lot of seats held by some area of the university but sitting open. These are prime seats, and I could understand if they were used for development, but they are not. Or, they're used 1-2 games a year and sit open.

We buy extra football tickets every year to give away to family and friends. Our hope is it gets people excited to come to games. We start at the beginning of the year and get people signed up for games. If we don't get any takers, we bring them to the game and give them away. If folks want to pay for them, we tell them to make a donation to the WSF or their church. It can be hard, especially with a football game like St. Xavier or a D-2 basketball game, to give tickets away. 20 years ago, we may not have had that problem. 10 years ago, we could find takers for most games. Now, if my in-laws don't come, it can be hard to find takers for free tickets. This is despite having some good/decent seasons the past few years, but the biggest thing we hear about is the traffic around the arena and the difficulty of parking.

isuquinndog
Site Admin

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:29 am

You can now sell your unused tickets on the Redbirdfan.net ticket exchange! Check it out !

Basketball
Football
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!

Redbirdwarrior
Sophomore

Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:07 am

I actually prefer the first 5 rows of the upper tank to being anything but center court in the lower bowl. Not to start this conversation again, but the louder fans tend to be in the upper tank (just an observation, not a hard fact). I personally like sitting as close to section DD as possible to be above the band/students.

WeLoveTheBirds
Freshman

Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:55 pm

Most every seat in the arena is a pretty good view. But I think the upper bowl is OK if you just want to watch.... If you want to try to participate in the atmosphere of the game and try to make a difference for the team the lower bowl is a must.

I had tickets once up in the upper bowl and I just felt removed. I felt like when I did cheer, it was for nothing. I hated feeling like I was just watching and could not cheer for the boys. I moved back down after a season.

I guess I was also fairly alone in the upper on game days so maybe if the area was more filled, it would have made the situation better.

MPE773
Freshman

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:24 pm

I’m sure flagship08 appreciates everyone’s opinion of their upper bowl seats, but he/she is looking for a lower bowl solution. I am also interested in this. I live 4 hours aways and when I can make it to town, I would pay up for good, lower bowl seats.

Since a good share sit empty, I usually sneak my way down, but would rather just buy seats.

Flagship08
Freshman

Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:48 am

MPE773 wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:24 pm
I’m sure flagship08 appreciates everyone’s opinion of their upper bowl seats, but he/she is looking for a lower bowl solution. I am also interested in this. I live 4 hours aways and when I can make it to town, I would pay up for good, lower bowl seats.

Since a good share sit empty, I usually sneak my way down, but would rather just buy seats.
Exactly. I think there was some good answers to my question, mainly the generational issue with season ticket holders who aren't familiar with how easy Stubhub is to use and also the faculty seats.

As for the upper bowl, I personally feel detached from being part of the "action" up there. It's a fine view of the court but like it was mentioned, I know I'm being heard in the lower bowl. Maybe from my days as student I got spoiled from being close to the court but with the Chicago games and Arch Madness I only get to 1 or 2 games a year at RA (hopefully more this year). If I have to pay $100+ to sit in the Bleachers at Wrigley on a Saturday I certainly wouldn't have an issue doing the same for great seats at RA.

Adunk33
Senior

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:05 am

Birdswin wrote:
FWIW, 10/10 if you post the tickets on here with enough notice and are giving them away, they will be scooped up. In my experience, 7/10 they will be purchased.
I 100% support the athletics department providing tickets to departments around the university. I would like to know how this is done though. Are the tickets packaged like season tickets and sent at the beginning of the season? Are they sent individually to the department heads on a week by week basis?

What should be done is that if a department would like to use the tickets assigned to them for a specific game, they must go to the Ticket Office and pick them up. If that is not done at least 3 (or whatever) days, they can be sold to the public. I think that would get a lot of fans from the upper bowl to the lower bowl. I have been in the ticket office when the workers are telling fans the only availability is in the upper bowl and come in to a half empty lower level. Thats a bad look. I think they should institute this policy to everyone, sponsors included. "If you want your complimentary tickets, GREAT! Come and pick them up or they will be sold." I think that would also drum up the atmosphere a little.

Jsnhbe1Birds
Senior

Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:13 am

Adunk33 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:05 am
Birdswin wrote:
FWIW, 10/10 if you post the tickets on here with enough notice and are giving them away, they will be scooped up. In my experience, 7/10 they will be purchased.
I 100% support the athletics department providing tickets to departments around the university. I would like to know how this is done though. Are the tickets packaged like season tickets and sent at the beginning of the season? Are they sent individually to the department heads on a week by week basis?

What should be done is that if a department would like to use the tickets assigned to them for a specific game, they must go to the Ticket Office and pick them up. If that is not done at least 3 (or whatever) days, they can be sold to the public. I think that would get a lot of fans from the upper bowl to the lower bowl. I have been in the ticket office when the workers are telling fans the only availability is in the upper bowl and come in to a half empty lower level. Thats a bad look. I think they should institute this policy to everyone, sponsors included. "If you want your complimentary tickets, GREAT! Come and pick them up or they will be sold." I think that would also drum up the atmosphere a little.
Solid idea. Now go take Lyons job

TIMMY
Junior

Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:39 pm

As a football coach in Wisconsin I had access to 2 football tickets to all Badger home games. The procedure was to call on the Monday mornings game week after 10am. Northwestern was similar. Once they were gone they were gone. About 15 minutes. Snooze you lose. A policy like this for Faculty/Staff would put more tickets out to be sold. Faculty/Staff one week before event (whatever} 10:00-11:00 then on sale to the public. Fill the damn seats and make some money.

P.S. They already know which seats are habitual no-shows. Stop it.

Humdinger
Senior

Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:30 pm

TIMMY wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:39 pm
As a football coach in Wisconsin I had access to 2 football tickets to all Badger home games. The procedure was to call on the Monday mornings game week after 10am. Northwestern was similar. Once they were gone they were gone. About 15 minutes. Snooze you lose. A policy like this for Faculty/Staff would put more tickets out to be sold. Faculty/Staff one week before event (whatever} 10:00-11:00 then on sale to the public. Fill the damn seats and make some money.

P.S. They already know which seats are habitual no-shows. Stop it.

:text-dope:

• Information