If you are having problems getting into your account, email me (isuquinndog@redbirdfan.net) from the email you signed up with and your username.

Boyd commits!

The place to talk Redbird Men's Basketball
V Boy
Sophomore
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:37 pm

Redbird Alum 2004 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:03 pm
He kinda reminds me of Daishon Knight. I think a year of improving his strength will only help. Good get.
Agree on this comparison

ISU FAN 1
Senior
Posts: 1258
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:18 am

Assume Boyd’s shooting percentages improve from those freshman numbers. Nice getting proven college scorers that get another year of development in Dan’s system before hitting the court for ISU.

BTbird
Freshman
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:49 pm

Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:48 am

Congrats! Looks like he will be an impact player when he is eligible.

Adunk33
Senior
Posts: 1281
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:37 am

ISU FAN 1 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:59 pm
WoodlandWarrior wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:25 pm
Just to be clear, will Boyd be on scholarship during his sit out year?
Don’t know. Don’t care. That’s a Dan and player issue. Why some fans obsess about it is unclear.
Not to totally jack the thread, but here I go.

My thing with following the scholarships is:
1.) It gives Redbird fans something somewhat relevant to talk about during what is typically a dead period. You can only talk about transfers for so long. This is a message board, after all.
2.) My reoccurring suggestion that we might not need to "obsess" over it if local media would ask the question. It is my understanding if local media requests an interview, the athletic department cannot necessarily deny it. I believe it is against their policy. If the request is denied, then it is often met with a response from the athletic department which says, "There will be a comment from the coach soon." So lack of accountability is also peppered in a little.
3.) Larry Lyons said, unprovoked/unprompted on the radio that he believed DN to be the lone defect from the team this season. So, it leads to more speculation about who might be leaving and who might be staying. If fans don't like to speculate, than see point two. Someone has to get answers. If ISU doesn't want fans to speculate (Not that they really care), then provide the answers.

With that said, when Boyd and Hillsman actually sign the dotted line, HOPEFULLY local media will go talk to the coach, rather than simply taking quotes from the press release, and ask the question people are curious about. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an all encompassing release with the announcement of Boyd, Hillsman, N'Diaye (?), and which players will not be on scholarship or have left the team, all within the same day about a week or two from now.

In short, it doesn't matter, you're right. But it's something to talk about, thus the point of a message board. A wise man once said, "If you don't like a topic...you don't have to read it, or "foe" people who do." ------Probably 25 RBF posters at some point.

Humdinger
Senior
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:57 am

Adunk33 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:37 am
It is my understanding if local media requests an interview, the athletic department cannot necessarily deny it.

False.

Good read, man.

JHBird
Junior
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:13 am

Adunk33 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:37 am
ISU FAN 1 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:59 pm
WoodlandWarrior wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:25 pm
Just to be clear, will Boyd be on scholarship during his sit out year?
Don’t know. Don’t care. That’s a Dan and player issue. Why some fans obsess about it is unclear.
Not to totally jack the thread, but here I go.

My thing with following the scholarships is:
1.) It gives Redbird fans something somewhat relevant to talk about during what is typically a dead period. You can only talk about transfers for so long. This is a message board, after all.
2.) My reoccurring suggestion that we might not need to "obsess" over it if local media would ask the question. It is my understanding if local media requests an interview, the athletic department cannot necessarily deny it. I believe it is against their policy. If the request is denied, then it is often met with a response from the athletic department which says, "There will be a comment from the coach soon." So lack of accountability is also peppered in a little.
3.) Larry Lyons said, unprovoked/unprompted on the radio that he believed DN to be the lone defect from the team this season. So, it leads to more speculation about who might be leaving and who might be staying. If fans don't like to speculate, than see point two. Someone has to get answers. If ISU doesn't want fans to speculate (Not that they really care), then provide the answers.

With that said, when Boyd and Hillsman actually sign the dotted line, HOPEFULLY local media will go talk to the coach, rather than simply taking quotes from the press release, and ask the question people are curious about. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an all encompassing release with the announcement of Boyd, Hillsman, N'Diaye (?), and which players will not be on scholarship or have left the team, all within the same day about a week or two from now.

In short, it doesn't matter, you're right. But it's something to talk about, thus the point of a message board. A wise man once said, "If you don't like a topic...you don't have to read it, or "foe" people who do." ------Probably 25 RBF posters at some point.
I agree completely. This probably means a player or two will be leaving, but who knows, maybe they sit for free next year or maybe the coach has to make a tough decision soon. And if they also sign N'Diaye..geez. That would be great but he's a 2018 recruit as well. Nobody can fault the coach for wanting to improve the team even if he has cut some players loose.

Adunk33
Senior
Posts: 1281
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:15 am

Humdinger wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:57 am
Adunk33 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:37 am
It is my understanding if local media requests an interview, the athletic department cannot necessarily deny it.

False.

Good read, man.
Should have included this in the original post that a member of the AD Comm office told me yesterday that they do have a departmental policy to give access to reporters, because if they don't the reporter can then go write or publish anything they want. I understand there are exceptions to every rule.

Adunk33
Senior
Posts: 1281
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:17 am

"I couldn't be more excited to add Dedric to our team," said Muller. "With a year to sit out, we can really help him on and off the court. He is a wonderful young man who will represent our program the right way. Dedric is a scoring guard who can play both guard positions, but has the natural ability to score the ball. He will be a terrific player in our program."

He had a 17-point, 12-assist double-double against Asbury on November 25,
http://goredbirds.com/news/2018/4/24/me ... -boyd.aspx

User avatar
isuquinndog
Site Admin
Posts: 746
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 pm
Location: Normal, IL
Contact:

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:09 am

"on and off the court" What the heck does that mean?
LET'S WIN THIS GAME!

Santa Cason
Sophomore
Posts: 211
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:21 pm

Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:19 am

isuquinndog wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:09 am
"on and off the court" What the heck does that mean?
Well he is a student-athlete, so how about in the classroom? He’s pretty skinny as well, so I’m sure some time in the weight and conditioning program will do Dedric some good moving forward.

Bdub777
Freshman
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:01 pm

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:28 pm

isuquinndog wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:09 am
"on and off the court" What the heck does that mean?
Athletically and academically would be a wild guess.....

ISU FAN 1
Senior
Posts: 1258
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:32 pm

Dan making tough decisions on the bottom of the roster is better than players from the top deciding to leave. It’s Dan’s job to upgrade the roster, not placate underachievers.

Baltimore Bird
Freshman
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:12 pm

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:22 pm

This is exciting news for the program. I have to admit I am surprised to see 2 transfer signings.

Although, some don't care to talk about our scholarship situation, I am not one of them. I am very interested to see how this works itself out. Maybe one of the new players is not on scholarship this year. Maybe Romine is gone. Maybe The Gassman is back to his non-scholarship status. Maybe there is another player leaving. It seems to me we are 2 over and we are still recruiting.

I hope Benson or someone asks the questions we all have on our minds and gets some answers!

Excited for the future of Redbird Basketball! GO BIRDS!
Redbirds and Cardinals, A Combination that Makes Sense! GO BIRDS!

User avatar
Bird Friend
Senior
Posts: 1297
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:58 pm

Image

JHBird
Junior
Posts: 519
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:40 pm

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:39 am

Baltimore Bird wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:22 pm
This is exciting news for the program. I have to admit I am surprised to see 2 transfer signings.

Although, some don't care to talk about our scholarship situation, I am not one of them. I am very interested to see how this works itself out. Maybe one of the new players is not on scholarship this year. Maybe Romine is gone. Maybe The Gassman is back to his non-scholarship status. Maybe there is another player leaving. It seems to me we are 2 over and we are still recruiting.

I hope Benson or someone asks the questions we all have on our minds and gets some answers!

Excited for the future of Redbird Basketball! GO BIRDS!
I just can't see Romine being gone now that DN as departed, plus we haven't added any JC bigs. We'll be in trouble if he departs. I'm not considering Bruniga as a true big (maybe I'm wrong there if he bulks up a bit). That would only leave us Phil and Rey the freshman. Milik can play big, but we have no depth at all then. Even with Romine I feel we need another big body guy.

CaliRdBrd
Junior
Posts: 559
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:24 pm

Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:47 am

JHBird wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:39 am
Baltimore Bird wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:22 pm
This is exciting news for the program. I have to admit I am surprised to see 2 transfer signings.

Although, some don't care to talk about our scholarship situation, I am not one of them. I am very interested to see how this works itself out. Maybe one of the new players is not on scholarship this year. Maybe Romine is gone. Maybe The Gassman is back to his non-scholarship status. Maybe there is another player leaving. It seems to me we are 2 over and we are still recruiting.

I hope Benson or someone asks the questions we all have on our minds and gets some answers!

Excited for the future of Redbird Basketball! GO BIRDS!
I just can't see Romine being gone now that DN as departed, plus we haven't added any JC bigs. We'll be in trouble if he departs. I'm not considering Bruniga as a true big (maybe I'm wrong there if he bulks up a bit). That would only leave us Phil and Rey the freshman. Milik can play big, but we have no depth at all then. Even with Romine I feel we need another big body guy.
I thought I saw where Bruninga is 6’10”? If he bulks up this summer-and I’m sure he will- then how badly do we need a “big”?

ChiRedbirdfan
Senior
Posts: 976
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:49 am

JHBird wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:39 am
Baltimore Bird wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:22 pm
This is exciting news for the program. I have to admit I am surprised to see 2 transfer signings.

Although, some don't care to talk about our scholarship situation, I am not one of them. I am very interested to see how this works itself out. Maybe one of the new players is not on scholarship this year. Maybe Romine is gone. Maybe The Gassman is back to his non-scholarship status. Maybe there is another player leaving. It seems to me we are 2 over and we are still recruiting.

I hope Benson or someone asks the questions we all have on our minds and gets some answers!

Excited for the future of Redbird Basketball! GO BIRDS!
I just can't see Romine being gone now that DN as departed, plus we haven't added any JC bigs. We'll be in trouble if he departs. I'm not considering Bruniga as a true big (maybe I'm wrong there if he bulks up a bit). That would only leave us Phil and Rey the freshman. Milik can play big, but we have no depth at all then. Even with Romine I feel we need another big body guy.
Given Romine’s history I am confused as to why it is hard to see that he may not be on the team next year. Romine not playing was never about (at least from my perspective) who was in front of him or behind him as respects to competition for playing time or never was it about the needs of the team.
Last edited by ChiRedbirdfan on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

ChiRedbirdfan
Senior
Posts: 976
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:01 am

CaliRdBrd wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:47 am
JHBird wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:39 am
Baltimore Bird wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:22 pm
This is exciting news for the program. I have to admit I am surprised to see 2 transfer signings.

Although, some don't care to talk about our scholarship situation, I am not one of them. I am very interested to see how this works itself out. Maybe one of the new players is not on scholarship this year. Maybe Romine is gone. Maybe The Gassman is back to his non-scholarship status. Maybe there is another player leaving. It seems to me we are 2 over and we are still recruiting.

I hope Benson or someone asks the questions we all have on our minds and gets some answers!

Excited for the future of Redbird Basketball! GO BIRDS!
I just can't see Romine being gone now that DN as departed, plus we haven't added any JC bigs. We'll be in trouble if he departs. I'm not considering Bruniga as a true big (maybe I'm wrong there if he bulks up a bit). That would only leave us Phil and Rey the freshman. Milik can play big, but we have no depth at all then. Even with Romine I feel we need another big body guy.
I thought I saw where Bruninga is 6’10”? If he bulks up this summer-and I’m sure he will- then how badly do we need a “big”?
I am pro-Buninga big time but feel he definitely needs another good season of development. If he can add 20 pounds of weight room strength combined with natural strength/athleticism maturity I believe he will be a big time ISU hoop player. His basketball skills are very good as well as his basketball IQ. However I do not see Bruninga as the type of player that is going to back up Fayne this coming season should Fayne be in foul trouble/sick or roll an ankle and be out a couple of weeks.

SgtHulka
Junior
Posts: 627
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:19 am

CaliRdBrd wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:47 am
JHBird wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:39 am
Baltimore Bird wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:22 pm
This is exciting news for the program. I have to admit I am surprised to see 2 transfer signings.

Although, some don't care to talk about our scholarship situation, I am not one of them. I am very interested to see how this works itself out. Maybe one of the new players is not on scholarship this year. Maybe Romine is gone. Maybe The Gassman is back to his non-scholarship status. Maybe there is another player leaving. It seems to me we are 2 over and we are still recruiting.

I hope Benson or someone asks the questions we all have on our minds and gets some answers!

Excited for the future of Redbird Basketball! GO BIRDS!
I just can't see Romine being gone now that DN as departed, plus we haven't added any JC bigs. We'll be in trouble if he departs. I'm not considering Bruniga as a true big (maybe I'm wrong there if he bulks up a bit). That would only leave us Phil and Rey the freshman. Milik can play big, but we have no depth at all then. Even with Romine I feel we need another big body guy.
I thought I saw where Bruninga is 6’10”? If he bulks up this summer-and I’m sure he will- then how badly do we need a “big”?
There's more Levi Dyer than Leroy Watkins in him.
RIP Frank Y, Mother Hulka, Berg, Ray F, Jim and Janet T
Image

User avatar
Joe_Y
Freshman
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:16 am
Location: Normal

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:25 am

SgtHulka wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:19 am
There's more Levi Dyer than Leroy Watkins in him.
Yeah, unfortunately true.

Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests